Zlatan Ibrahimović

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholsey2004

If true terrific signing. Again. Hope they back date his pay to the end of last year's contract as well as a sign of good faith.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You must be high, if you don't want another striker in the squad, who just scored 28 goals in 46 games, in his first PL season.

That as long as he agreed with Lukaku as our main striker.

MassiveMorgan

Are you suggesting he didn't have pace around him last season?
Well that's a good point. But look at the games and a lot of players weren't making runs- half the time they looked like they were expecting him not to get the ball, and when he did it was too late. If the ball went up to him, we should have Martial, Lukaku and Rashford etc charging forward. This is a guy that does backheel flicked passes as standard, not just a stationary lump as people seem to be suggesting (not directed at yourself)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ibra no10 behind Lukaku, Mhiki right Martial/Rashford left :drool:

You must be high, if you don't want another striker in the squad, who just scored 28 goals in 46 games, in his first PL season.

That as long as he agreed with Lukaku as our main striker.
No striker who has just scored 28 goals in 46 games, in his first PL season "agrees" to be second choice. Zlatan will come back confident that he can win a place in the side, but he'll also be well aware that'll it'll be a tough ask.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well that's a good point. But look at the games and a lot of players weren't making runs- half the time they looked like they were expecting him not to get the ball, and when he did it was too late. If the ball went up to him, we should have Martial, Lukaku and Rashford etc charging forward. This is a guy that does backheel flicked passes as standard, not just a stationary lump as people seem to be suggesting (not directed at yourself)
I saw him with fast players around him and it didn't work. Ive seen 180 mins of lukaku for us and thus far he's a far better fit. He suits pogba, rashford, martial and mkhitaryan far better.

Zlatan is technically impeccable and youl always get some moments that work when you have him in the team, but it won't always be the case quite as much as Lukaku (I am extrapolating here in my estimation that Lukaku will continue to compliment us in the way he has for 2 games).

Zlatan has never played as a 10 and IIRC never played in a front 2. That in itself is a big risk.

Cassidy

I saw him with fast players around him and it didn't work. Ive seen 180 mins of lukaku for us and thus far he's a far better fit. He suits pogba, rashford, martial and mkhitaryan far better.

Zlatan is technically impeccable and youl always get some moments that work when you have him in the team, but it won't always be the case quite as much as Lukaku (I am extrapolating here in my estimation that Lukaku will continue to compliment us in the way he has for 2 games).

Zlatan has never played as a 10 and IIRC never played in a front 2. That in itself is a big risk.
I might be remembering incorrectly, but he always seemed like a second striker or not main striker earlier in his career. His link up play and passing last season was also really good, I could see him working well with Lukaku

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I might be remembering incorrectly, but he always seemed like a second striker or not main striker earlier in his career. His link up play and passing last season was also really good, I could see him working well with Lukaku
He was the main man down the middle for PSG and Cavani had to play off the left wing if I remember correctly.

He can link up well with a wooden plank but he's not a nippy quick player who can also link up well with others.. And if we start both strikers then one of our younger talents will be sacrificed. Which I really don't see the point in.

Cassidy

He was the main man down the middle for PSG and Cavani had to play off the left wing if I remember correctly.

He can link up well with a wooden plank but he's not a nippy quick player who can also link up well with others.. And if we start both strikers then one of our younger talents will be sacrificed. Which I really don't see the point in.
Earlier in his career meaning way before PSG. Yes also he did play with Larson for Sweden. Again I was thinking more about earlier in his career.
Agree in not ssacrificing one of the young talents, however Zalatan may replace Mata in the 11 at times with Mhiki moving out wide. Not a bad sub for Lukaku either.

United Pro

Lukaku's pace in behind means that defences can't keep as high a line as they would with Zlatan up front, which in turn opens up more space for the players playing behind the striker. I think if Zlatan were to rejoin he should be second choice to Lukaku, until Lukaku proves otherwise. Quality player to have on the bench though.

Red Devil Rising

Everyone needs to stop trying to shoehorn him in - it doesn't and won't work.

Lukaku gives our other players more space to operate in as defenders tend to drop a bit further back as they're concerned with his pace.

Zlatan had a great season for us, but he's not the answer going forward and will merely complicate things.

Cassidy

Everyone needs to stop trying to shoehorn him in - it doesn't and won't work.

Lukaku gives our other players more space to operate in as defenders tend to drop a bit further back as they're concerned with his pace.

Zlatan had a great season for us, but he's not the answer going forward and will merely complicate things.
Until Lukaku needs a rest of gets injured. Zlatan will be a good addition to the squad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Earlier in his career meaning way before PSG. Yes also he did play with Larson for Sweden. Again I was thinking more about earlier in his career.
Agree in not ssacrificing one of the young talents, however Zalatan may replace Mata in the 11 at times with Mhiki moving out wide. Not a bad sub for Lukaku either.
Yeah but he wasnt 35+ then so it's not the same, which I'm sure you'd agree on.

Also I'd never put Zlatan in behind Lukaku. Firstly mourinho said he wants his 10 to do everything, which is why Mkhitaryan is a good fit particularly for his work rate. Mata also, for his nimble size he's sometimes deceptively very hard working and it goes under the radar. I think Mourinho never liked Mata at Chelsea because he doubted his defensive discipline to compliment his creativity but he's been won over by that here.

But let's entertain the idea of Zlatan and Lukaku together. On paper it's fantastic, you have them two, Pogba Matic Herrera, Mkhitaryan and say Martial/Rashford out wide. The caf mostly love it..

But now let's actually be pragmatic. 1) You have to push Mkhitaryan wide right when he's a much better operater down the middle.

2) You have two strikers who won't really track back (one isn't known to and another is a 35 year old who drifts for the most part or will struggle to constantly track). This means you will need Pogba to be more deeper than what we ideally bought him for and wanted to see him in this season.

3) you've sacrificed Mata. For all his deficiencies he's a very clean player who puts in a shift, can find a good pass, interlinks quicker and keeps the ball moving faster.

That's 3 areas that you'd change to shoe horn Zlatan and Lukaku together. There may even be more. It can work if the two have incredible chemistry but you have to look at what you cumulatively sacrificed and think maybe the unit overall was better and more balanced the other way (mkhitaryan in his natural role, mata performing the defensive duties of a 10/winger), Pogba with the licence to attack more, etc.

It pains me to say it because I love Zlatan but I think our side has the perfect balance as is.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Deary me! in 99' United had 4 amazing strikers yet we're worrying about adding a second striker to the squad! :rolleyes:

It's obvious Rashford and Martial are wide forwards and will be for this season at least.

Lukaku can't play 50 games up front on his own! let's give the guy some help and since Zlatan has been here he's been a massive influence on the team spirit.
You are talking far too much sense here.
We must force Lukaku to play all 60 games this season and must not allow him to get injured.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Zlatan
A) born winner/character/leader
B) can provide cover (losing him means losing rooney and him in one window, lotsa exp suddenly gone) can even teach one or two things to lukaku n co.
C) gives great interviews and a general cocky bastard.
D) at least one ranged scisor kick goal
E) The Zlatan doesnt play for Manchester United, Manchester United plays for the Zlatan.

Mind.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

At PSG he would drop very deep and leave a lot of room for Cavani to make runs.

AdnanRED

I think Zlatan knows Mourinho will want to win the league and will have no favourism towards him because he did drop him vs Chelsea last year to get the result he wanted. Zlatan probably knew deep down he would come back and even gave the number 9 to Lukaku. I'm not worried by his comeback at all especially with all the games we will be playing this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
At PSG he would drop very deep and leave a lot of room for Cavani to make runs.
Drifting in positioning is fine, most 9s can do it. Playing perminantely in a deeper position is another. You require a defensive discipline to compliment what you do going forward because it's a deeper role.

If we play lukaku and zlatan there's too many adjustments required on the team itself and it makes me wonder whether the net benefit is worth it.

Vernon Philander

You're probably thinking of when he played as a SS to Adriano at Inter

Deadly on PES :drool:

Jaae

Not ITK
Can't see how he's going to fit into the side. Lukaku's style of play is a much better fit for us, and playing Zlatan as a no.10 behind him is just fantasy and not realistic bar the odd home game.

If Zlatan is happy to accept a squad place then I'd love him back, but I don't see it. The biggest benefit he would bring is his experience. Lukaku, Rashford and Martial have very limited to no experience in competing for League titles and playing CL football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Drifting in positioning is fine, most 9s can do it. Playing perminantely in a deeper position is another. You require a defensive discipline to compliment what you do going forward because it's a deeper role.

If we play lukaku and zlatan there's too many adjustments required on the team itself and it makes me wonder whether the net benefit is worth it.
Don't see why Ibra can't play a similar role that Rooney used to do. Can make runs behind or drop deep and make play from midfield areas.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't see why Ibra can't play a similar role that Rooney used to do. Can make runs behind or drop deep and make play from midfield areas.
Because he's 35+ and only effective when he actually has the ball or if we are on the attack. When the opposition has the ball he won't put a shift in, he simply can't he's too old for it.

We saw how big a liability Rooney was when he lost his pace and tailed down with age. Zlatan is still brilliant on the ball and knows where the goal is. He belongs in the box. If we play him I'd rotate him with Lukaku up top. Not shoe horn them both in and have him play deeper, forcing pogba even more deeper, mkhitaryan further wide and Mata completely out.

NJM78

If we do sign him I hope he is very much happy being a player we bring on as a sub or maybe start in easier games to rest Lukaku. With Zlatans ego I doubt very much he will be.

Don't get me wrong the thought of chasing a game in the last few minutes and we bring on Zlatan and Fellaini to join Pogba, Matic and Lukaku, then go balls out route one, we will be hard to stop.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think it's great. We saw Zlatan in a team that was stabilising. Now we're looking very sharp and it would be remiss of the club to have done any different. No club would be dumb enough to let someone go that just scored 28 goals. Obviously we have a good relationship and the player/players are happy. If someone sits on the bench because of Zlatan? I don't think they'll have a problem with that. He's an example of someone who had a giant setback - which many thought would end his career. As an option - especially if Lukaku get's injured...he's quality. I know we're playing well and it's looking great now but it's a long season and Jose is happy to give himself the problem of selection. If lukaku got injured - without Zlatan - we're be relying on Martial and Rashford and that might not be enough to sustain a challenge. With Zlatan, we would have strong options.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I really don't think it will work, but if Zlatan did come back, I'd still be curious to see how we played with him and Lukaku in the same team.

More than happy to have a player of his quality back in the side. Hopefully we can win the PL and/or CL to give him the send off he deserves.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
If we do sign him I hope he is very much happy being a player we bring on as a sub or maybe start in easier games to rest Lukaku. With Zlatans ego I doubt very much he will be.

Don't get me wrong the thought of chasing a game in the last few minutes and we bring on Zlatan and Fellaini to join Pogba, Matic and Lukaku, then go balls out route one, we will be hard to stop.
Whatever his role may be this season, it will have been discussed in detail with Mourinho beforehand and agreed upon.

There's no chance he would sign without having an idea of how he will be used in the team. If he signs then he's accepted whatever the manager has in mind for him.

Jam

Forgive my ignorance here but he is currently out of contract as shown by being on our not-retained list at the end of the season; and if he doesn't sign by the transfer window closing then he won't be able to play for us until January anyway as we can not register him until that window opens? So this 'returns by the end of October' talk is ultimately pointless in terms of actually playing for Manchester United but at least in theory he should be in normal full squad training correct?

And I personally don't see him playing in the reserve team but are they inflicted with the same registration rules in that he needs to be signed and registered within a transfer window or is that more flexible in that if he's under contract he can play?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Forgive my ignorance here but he is currently out of contract as shown by being on our not-retained list at the end of the season; and if he doesn't sign by the transfer window closing then he won't be able to play for us until January anyway as we can not register him until that window opens? So this 'returns by the end of October' talk is ultimately pointless in terms of actually playing for Manchester United but at least in theory he should be in normal full squad training correct?

And I personally don't see him playing in the reserve team but are they inflicted with the same registration rules in that he needs to be signed and registered within a transfer window or is that more flexible in that if he's under contract he can play?
The rumour is that he will sign before the end of august.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There's a banner on MUTV saying he's signed a one year deal. Not on Twitter yet...

He will wear the number 10 shirt.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
ZLATAN TO WEAR NO.10 SHIRT
Manchester United is delighted to announce that Zlatan Ibrahimovic will continue his journey with the club and has signed a one-year contract. He will wear the number 10 shirt.

Ibrahimović, 35, made 46 appearances and scored 28 goals for the club during the 2016/17 campaign before suffering a knee injury, which ended his season prematurely. Zlatan has won championships in four different leagues since beginning his professional career with Malmo in 1999.

Jose Mourinho said: "We are delighted Zlatan is on the road to recovery and we are equally delighted to have his ambition and experience back with us. After his contribution last season he deserves our trust and we will be patient waiting for him to return. I have no doubt that he will be important in the second part of the season."

Zlatan Ibrahimovic said: "I am back to finish what I started. It was always mine and the club's intention for me to stay. I cannot wait to get back out on that Old Trafford pitch, but I also know that I have to take my time to make sure that I am ready. I have been working hard and will continue to do so to make sure I am in the best possible condition for my return to the pitch."

FujiVice

All I know is, we've just re-signed a player who scored 28 goals for us last year. Cant see how this cant be a huge boost for the squad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
More than anything else, he's a character we need. A leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.