Zlatan or Rooney?

Canagel

Who has had the better career and why? As we all know Zlatan has taken the number 10 shirt this season vacated by Rooney and I have to say it's going to be a bit weird seeing someone else wearing it because Rooney has had it for so long and he became the face of this club with it. It got me thinking though about who will be considered as having a better career after they both retire. Both are legends, top scorers for the respective countries and have won so many trophies but what does everyone think?

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Is this a joke? Sorry but Rooneys career can't hold a candle to Zlatans. Its not even a legitimate question.

Eddy_JukeZ

Probably Ibra, because his longevity is better.

Think they're fairly similar at their peak or standard level.

Ibra's prime years have occurred in the latter years of his career, whereas Rooney's did early on.

Bole Top

tough choice, but I choose Rooney simply because I value his titles more. they were won in more competitive league, against tougher opponents and managers. Ibra was great, but majority of his trophies were won after calciopoli scandal, when Inter had no competition there, and it was even worse in french league.

also, Rooney won the champions league and played in two more finals, while Ibra never came close to winning it. Inter and Barca actually improved when they sold him.

el3mel

Really tough choice. Both had things that the other doesn't have. Rooney has won CL, won every possible competition except UEFA Super Cup which isn't that important, but he declined heavily by 30 and is now finished, while Zlatan played and succeeded in various leagues, had a much longer career than Rooney but lacks CL winning medal.

The choice will be according to whom you like more I believe.

Bwuk

Zlatan for me and pretty comfortably. Was always in the top tiers of strikers throughout his career, Rooney only for a few seasons.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rooney has Champions League which probably tips the scales. That said, from an individual perspective Zlatan probably excelled more.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rooney more successful career, ibra a better and more iconic player in broad footballing terms.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Really tough to say, it probably comes down to whether you value a player's ability to do it at multiple clubs/across different leagues over staying with one club and becoming an integral member of multiple winning teams.

For me, Rooney. I think because we've followed Rooney's career far more closely we're more aware of his failings, whereas a lot of what we have to go off from Zlatan comes from the aura he has over fans who don't see him week in/week out.

Internationally they're pretty similar, with the exception that Rooney had a stand out tournament - I can't recall Ibra having one. Rooney did have the benefit of being surrounded, generally, by better players though.

Ibra has scored more goals in his career, but he's spent his whole career as a striker. Rooney has played all across the front 3 in multiple title winning teams. At their peak, there weren't many better in the game. They could both take hold of a match and switch its course in a matter of minutes. Zlatan, hopefully, can still do this, Rooney no.

James Peril

When Rooney retires for good (he did like four years ago mind), I am pretty sure he will be forgotten about within a few years. Zlatan will not though, both because of his flair and insane goals. Zlatan has done it for many more years at a high level and at different places, guess that goes in his favor. Zlatan wins the contest, but empirically speaking it should be close.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Career? Rooney pretty clearly.

He was part of one Manchester United's most successful era and was a key player at it. He is the highest goal scorer for arguably the best/most global club in the world. I don't know how anyone can say Zlatan has had a better career.

shamans

When Rooney retires for good (he did like four years ago mind), I am pretty sure he will be forgotten about within a few years. Zlatan will not though, both because of his flair and insane goals. Zlatan has done it for many more years at a high level and at different places, guess that goes in his favor. Zlatan wins the contest, but empirically speaking it should be close.

And Rooney has no incredible goals? Rooney has reached highs in career Zlatan never has (Champions League). He scored the bicycle kick against city, scored that goal against newcastle, at 16 scored a wonder goal vs Arsenal when Tyler said "remember the name Wayne Rooney, clawed back the tie against AC Milan spectacularly. Is our top goal scorer. This is just of the top of my head.

No way he will be forgotten. You're just being reactionary to his current level. Zlatan will also not be forgotten. Both are one of the best strikers of their generation.

Kag

Some strange responses in here, and I am what some might call a Rooney hater. I wanted the cnut out years before he left.

But let's get it right. He retires leading ever scorer at Manchester United, having been a fixture in a hugely successful team for over a decade. He captained that side, captained England, smashed the Euros as a kid and scored more goals for his country than Bobby Charlton. In amongst that are a collection of simply outrageous goals and scary-good performances on the big stage.

Ibrahimovic pratted around in Italy as the league began to crumble, somewhat struggled at Barcelona and spent a good chunk of time in a second rate French league that was always going to inflate his numbers.

Even talking peak, there was a point in time in which Rooney was quite rightly acknowledged as one of the best forwards in the game. Granted, Ibrahimovic is an inherently better striker, but I don't think he retires with a legacy like Rooney's. Lots of moving around and lots of titles, but which club will forever remember him? PSG? Well...

shamans

Some strange responses in here, and I am what some might call a Rooney hater. I wanted the cnut out years before he left.

But let's get it right. He retires leading ever scorer at Manchester United, having been a fixture in a hugely successful team for over a decade. He captained that side, captained England, smashed the Euros as a kid and scored more goals for his country than Bobby Charlton. In amongst that are a collection of simply outrageous goals and scary-good performances on the big stage.

Ibrahimovic pratted around in Italy as the league began to crumble, somewhat struggled at Barcelona and spent a good chunk of time in a second rate French league that was always going to inflate his numbers.

Even talking peak, there was a point in time in which Rooney was quite rightly acknowledged as one of the best forwards in the game. Granted, Ibrahimovic is an inherently better striker, but I don't think he retires with a legacy like Rooney's. Lots of moving around and lots of titles, but which club will forever remember him? PSG? Well...
I think the thread title is misleading (and should be changed). Some people are responding based on "Zlatan vs Rooney" but the title should be "who had the better overall career: Zlatan or Rooney"

You hit the nail on the head with your last point. Rooney will be remembered as the leading Man United striker or the striker we had during that era. There is no team that you can fully associate Zlatan with.

Zlatan easily could have had a better career than Rooney but you can't say PSG and Italian clubs make your career.

Jaybomb

Zlatan was a better player but Rooney was a big part of all our Premier League title wins and he also won the Champions League and became ours and England’s top goal scorer.

I’d say it’d be hard for anyone to top Rooney’s career. Its been outstanding.

Zlatan also won the league in every country he’s been in besides England and hes also Sweden and PSG’s top scorer. Undoubtedly a Legend.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Between 2004/2010 Rooney was awesome for United not just as an individual but an all round team player. Zlatan more an individual wherever he went. Rooney for me but could change my mind if Ibra scores a bicycle kick winner in 1 of the derbies this year.

Paul_Scholes18

Difficult to say. Zlatan have won more titles, but Rooney got the champions league. Zlatan has probably performed at a higher level overall, but Rooneys peak moment in terms of quality I think was slightly higher. Very close between them I would say. I think champions league win for Rooney might edge it cause it is the biggest title. While Zlatan have won plenty of league titles you got to say that some of them have been fairly easy like for PSG.

Witchking

Rooney for me has had a more impactful career and in my opinion was better at his peak. Loved him at United till 2011.

I have not followed zlatan's career and I feel he talks more than he plays. If both are in their best form, I would always prefer rooney.

Skills

Snitch
Tough choice. At their best they were probably the 3rd best players in the world
(at least at some point), Zlatan was probably there for longer and among the top 5/10 players in the world for a fair bit longer too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Rooney has won the CL.
I think it sets his career apart from Zlatans, who has been a better player and I'm guessing won more league titles in different leagues.

I rate Zlatan above Rooney as a player, but rate Rooneys career achievements above Zlatans very slightly.

IAmAWinner

Imagine we had 09/10 Rooney last year with Zlatan...feck
I think Rooney had a better career, won the UCL and played a big part in our best ever era.

cyberman

Rooney was fantastic in 3 runs to CL finals, Zlatans doesn't match up to that.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Ajax
  • Eredivisie: 2001–02, 2003–04
  • KNVB Cup: 2001–02
  • Johan Cruyff Shield: 2002
Internazionale
  • Serie A: 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
  • Supercoppa Italiana: 2006, 2008
Barcelona
  • La Liga: 2009–10
  • Supercopa de España: 2009, 2010
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2009
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2009
Milan
  • Serie A: 2010–11
  • Supercoppa Italiana: 2011
Paris Saint-Germain
  • Ligue 1: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
  • Coupe de France: 2014–15, 2015–16
  • Coupe de la Ligue: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
  • Trophée des Champions: 2013, 2014, 2015
Manchester United
  • EFL Cup: 2016–17
  • UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
  • FA Community Shield: 2016
vs

Manchester United
  • Premier League (5): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
  • FA Cup: 2015–16
  • Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2009–10, 2016–17
  • FA Community Shield (4): 2007, 2010, 2011, 2016
  • UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
  • UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Camilo

Rooney was the better player - he was one of the very best in the world for a few years... Zlatan joins the ranks of the Crespo's, Inzaghi's etc. Great players, but they'll be forgotten by most (in this country) in 20 years. He wasn't particularly rated on here only a couple of years ago..

To consistently win title all across Europe is a rare acheivement. Showing his talent could adapt to different styles and different approaches to the game. Also having the mental strength for this.
Ibra is clearly better than many players that have a CL medal - and he'd have a few if he forced through that move to Madrid.

Rooney has an incredible tally of trophies and goals. I figure United would have been successful with or without him though.
Few players were more exciting than Rooney those first couple of years to be fair.

TinFoil

Zlatan was a better player.

Rooney has the cl medal but then again average and poor players have such medals aswell. Think it's unfair on zlatan to say that solely separates them and their careers.

Rooney was never rated particularly highly on the continent either.

Reactions: SteveJ

Teja

If you compare just the careers and not the players themselves, then the answer is pretty clearly Rooney. Despite what people say about the PL being of a worse / similar quality to Europe's other top leagues, I think PL titles are more valuable and harder to come by than Italian / French titles. He's also got the one CL and possibly would have had one more if it wasn't for that frankly insane Barcelona side from 2011-2013.

Although if we win the PL and CL this season with Zlatan playing a major role :devil:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I would choose peak Rooney ahead of him. In terms of individual consistency through the whole career, Ibra.

In terms of their performances in last 3-4 years, well...

Indnyc

Rooney for me.. Zlatan has had a great Career but has played in much weaker leagues.. Italian league was rocked by the scandal and Inter basically had zero competition. PSG also was in a weak french league.. He struggled in Barcelona (maybe the playing style didn't suit him)

Peak Rooney had everything and won everything in a much more physically demanding league

jem

Is this a joke? Sorry but Rooneys career can't hold a candle to Zlatans. Its not even a legitimate question.
Of course it's a legitimate question. The revisionist underrating of Rooney's career is criminal.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Of course it's a legitimate question. The revisionist underrating of Rooney's career is criminal.
I'd lean towards Zlatan in this debate but you make a fair point. Recency bias is probably responsible...Rooney peaked very early as a player and had hit a point of decline by his late 20s; Zlatan meanwhile has arguably played some of the best football of his career in his 30s.

jem

I'd lean towards Zlatan in this debate but you make a fair point. Recency bias is probably responsible...Rooney peaked very early as a player and had hit a point of decline by his late 20s; Zlatan meanwhile has arguably played some of the best football of his career in his 30s.
And I'd probably agree with you. Just ridiculous that poster saying it wasn't even up for debate.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
And I'd probably agree with you. Just ridiculous that poster saying it wasn't even up for debate.
Aye, easy to forget how good Rooney was at his best. Was right up there with the best forwards in the world.