Zlatan or Rooney?

If you gave a manager an option to choose between a 22 year old Rooney and a 22 year old Ibra, it wouldnt even be a contest. Rooney would win that.
I love these kind of blanket statements @prath92. Because a posters opinion is so strong, that simply has to be the case for everyone!

You have no idea what managers would chose, my guess is, some would choose Rooney, some would choose Zlatan. Certainly both aged 17-20 it's a no contest, it's Rooney. Both aged 25 though? well...

So, why is 22 the magical age in this debate? Considering Zlatan has been a better player than Rooney since 2006, when Zlatan was 25 and Rooney was 21. Rooney certainly peaked sooner, but Zlatan's peak was much longer.
More apt is, if you gave a manager an option to choose between a peak Rooney and a peak Ibra, it'd be a toss up depending on the managers preferences.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both players had similar levels (wc) over different stages of their careers. Both brilliant players and should be celebrated. As Zlatan produced an Indian summer where as Rooney hit a down slope Rooneys will probably be tainted to some.

prath92

I love these kind of blanket statements @prath92. Because a posters opinion is so strong, that simply has to be the case for everyone!

You have no idea what managers would chose, my guess is, some would choose Rooney, some would choose Zlatan. Certainly both aged 17-20 it's a no contest, it's Rooney. Both aged 25 though? well...

So, why is 22 the magical age in this debate? Considering Zlatan has been a better player than Rooney since 2006, when Zlatan was 25 and Rooney was 21. Rooney certainly peaked sooner, but Zlatan's peak was much longer.
More apt is, if you gave a manager an option to choose between a peak Rooney and a peak Ibra, it'd be a toss up depending on the managers preferences.
Even at 25, Rooney would be the one. 2010 rooney vs 2006 ibra?

It’s not really a blanket statement. Rooney was more adaptable and was extremely lethal too. If rooney moved to barca in 09, he is likely to have done better than ibra did.

Even at 25, Rooney would be the one. 2010 rooney vs 2006 ibra?.
Inter Ibra (2006-2009) was most people’s favorite version of him & the one in which Mourinho claimed he was the best player on the planet.

Therefore I don’t get your point @prath92.

Zlatan was a 9 or 10, same as Rooney who was crap on the wing.
And as for ”extremely lethal”, well, Rooney has 275 club goals & 53 International goals whilst the other has 420 club & 62 international goals so that’s hardly a good case for Wayne.

As I say, different managers would prefer different players at their peak, simples. Stop thinking everyone must surely share your strong opinion.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Better career is up for debate depending on what you value. Zlatan not winning the CL is a big missing piece. Rooney was also never the 'star' man ever in any team that was winning things. Zlatan took himself around Europe and made an impression everywhere he went. Rooney couldn't be arsed moving out of North England even when he threatened to leave in 2010.

I would look at it more who will be remembered more fondly by the footballing community (overall). Zlatan has always been a neutral's favourite for his outrageous nature and huge ego on/off the pitch. People who think he's a 'twat' are actually very much in the minority. Rooney is nowhere near as likeable - never was.

I would be surprised if Zlatan wasn't the more 'legendary' player in 20-30 years time, but both will obviously not be forgotten.

GM K

Any neutral outside of United or even England for that matter would consider Zlatan to be the superior player and have better career to Rooney.

I think most continental football fans will put Zlatan above Rooney. No doubt Rooney was a great player.
Absolutely spot on.

This will be a no brainer among most continental football fans regardless of Zlatan's lack of a CL trophy.

tonnas

both at their peak, imo Rooney was much better then Zlatan...(a simple comparism is when we played inter a few years ago). Both are legends of the games, Roo declined horribly and Zlatan kept a good level even at 36.... still overall I take Rooney at his peak anyday over Zlatan at his peak. Also rooney won what is imo the most difficult league int he world, Zlatan had it easy with inter and psg

GM K

Frankly, the only thing Rooney has over Zlatan for me is his CL trophy.

Zlatan trumps him in skills as a footballer; in trophy counts, as a global iconic football figure and as a charismatic figure in the game. Rooney even divides opinions among United fans and has only had a short stint as United's main talisman whereas, Zlatan has always been his team's main talisman with the exception of his Barcelona experience where he met the incredible Lionel Messi. How can you spend most of your career in one club and still divide opinions as much as Rooney does? He should be in the category of Raul, Buffon, Terry, Puyol etc. Those guys are worshipped in their clubs.

And really, Zlatan is not alone in the group of legends without a CL trophy. Buffon, Viera, Fabregas, Van Nistelrooy, Crespo, Nedved, Ronaldo de Lima and Cannavaro are just a few of the greats who never won it. Has Rooney had a better career than all of them just because he won the CL? I don't think so. One has to take a holistic view in assessing a career.

Rooney has definitely had an incredible career but compared to Zlatan, it's the Swede for me.

AndyJ1985

both at their peak, imo Rooney was much better then Zlatan...(a simple comparism is when we played inter a few years ago). Both are legends of the games, Roo declined horribly and Zlatan kept a good level even at 36.... still overall I take Rooney at his peak anyday over Zlatan at his peak. Also rooney won what is imo the most difficult league int he world, Zlatan had it easy with inter and psg
Saying Rooney was a much better footballer than Zlatan invalidates your entire opinion. That's obviously not true.

Foxbatt

David May won the European Cup too. It does not make him a better defender than Steve Bruce or Pallister. Cantona never won anything in Europe. It does not make him a worse player than Mike Phelan.
So winning the CL has got nothing to do with a player being better or not.
I know that around the World Zlatan is more popular and is seen as close to Messi and Ronaldo levels. Rooney not so.

Saying Rooney was a much better footballer than Zlatan invalidates your entire opinion. That's obviously not true.
Aye, that kind of opinion just beggars belief, either these posters hardly watched Zlatan pre-Barca or they are just insanely rose-tinted.

The simple comparison he added is just awesome, that one game at OT proves it god damn it! :lol:

GM K

David May won the European Cup too. It does not make him a better defender than Steve Bruce or Pallister. Cantona never won anything in Europe. It does not make him a worse player than Mike Phelan.
So winning the CL has got nothing to do with a player being better or not.
I know that around the World Zlatan is more popular and is seen as close to Messi and Ronaldo levels. Rooney not so.
Very good point.

Ronaldo de Lima, Fabio Carnavarro, Viera, Nedved, Buffon, etc. Long list of incredible footballers who never won the CL.

Foxbatt

I think all this posting about this has been made irrelevant today. We saw the difference in class with Zlatan. He came back from an injury that was predicted to take him at least an year. It took him only 7 months. He influenced the game, created goal scoring chance and even had an audacious attempt on goal with a scissor kick that the keeper had to make a diving save. All at the age of 36.
While the other, at the prime age of 32, sat out a match that was calling for some quality football for his side.

CA_vampire

Definitely Rooney.

He has won everything and he is the top scorer for Man Utd and England. And he will remain top scorer for a long time. Yes, his career ended early but this is not important because he already broke long standing scoring records. Let's not forget that Cantona retired when he was 30.

Zlatan also had a fantastic career but he was somewhat of a mercenary.

Foxbatt

Just because he is the top scorer for England and United does not make him the better player. Just because Zlatan is a mercenary does not make him a worse player.

CA_vampire

Just because he is the top scorer for England and United does not make him the better player. Just because Zlatan is a mercenary does not make him a worse player.
The original question was: "Who has had the better career and why?"

Foxbatt

The original question was: "Who has had the better career and why?"
No one can still decide as both are still playing. I guess we have to wait till it is over. for now Rooney as he has won more I guess. Not sure how many trophies or individual honours Zlatan has won. I also do not know who has earned the most as well.

Wilt

Despite Rooney's early demise, he was an exceptional talent and easily one of the best ever to have played for Utd.

But Zlatan is a "one off" with amazing skills, rarely will the likes of be seen again.

I can't split them.

Foxbatt

Despite Rooney's early demise, he was an exceptional talent and easily one of the best ever to have played for Utd.

But Zlatan is a "one off" with amazing skills, rarely will the likes of be seen again.

I can't split them.
Cmon Wilt. Rooney one of the best ever to have played for United? You must be joking. Players like Law, Charlton, Best, Edwards, Robson, Cantona, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, Keane all better than Rooney.

Parry Gallister

Rooney has got a few more years left to get pissed and tarnish his legacy tbf, can't call it until it's done

Definitely Rooney.

He has won everything and he is the top scorer for Man Utd and England. And he will remain top scorer for a long time. Yes, his career ended early but this is not important because he already broke long standing scoring records.
Sorry @CA_vampire but what the hell does England and Man Utd have to do with anything?

Zlatan has a much better goal record at both International AND Club level than Rooney. I mean, Ronaldo holds no records for Brazil or any club either, did Rooney somehow have a better career than him?

CA_vampire

Sorry @CA_vampire but what the hell does England and Man Utd have to do with anything?

Zlatan has a much better goal record at both International AND Club level than Rooney. I mean, Ronaldo holds no records for Brazil or any club either, did Rooney somehow have a better career than him?
This is the Man Utd forum, right? Our club's record holders are quite important to me, as a fan. And they will be important to our fans for years to come.

I am not a kid any more, I am over 50 years old, and I prefer to think long term. I believe that in 20 years people will have hard time to remember Zlatan. Yes, he was a great player... but for whom? In the long term, we usually remember a player and "his team" together. You remember Cantona in Man Utd, you forget his previous teams. You will Remember Rooney in Man Utd. You will see Rooney up there in the statistics. People will try to beat his records. You will hear about Rooney again and again. Zlatan? Not really.

That's what defines a "good career" for me.

And let me reiterate that the original question was: "Who has had the better career and why?". This is a different question than "Who was the better player and why?".

Wilt

Cmon Wilt. Rooney one of the best ever to have played for United? You must be joking. Players like Law, Charlton, Best, Edwards, Robson, Cantona, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, Keane all better than Rooney.
First of all I said one of the best

As regards Charlton, Law, Best and Edwards, great players in their time but from a different era. IMO today's game is of a much higher standard and as good as they were it's debatable if they would have been as successful in today's game.

With regards to Rooney his stats, trophies and goals scored says it all really.

As for Cantona, Giggs and Ronaldo I agree ......legends

Foxbatt

First of all I said one of the best

As regards Charlton, Law, Best and Edwards, great players in their time but from a different era. IMO today's game is of a much higher standard and as good as they were it's debatable if they would have been as successful in today's game.

With regards to Rooney his stats, trophies and goals scored says it all really.

As for Cantona, Giggs and Ronaldo I agree ......legends
George Best came out of retirement and played in a WC Qualifier against the Dutch team led by Cruijff. It was in 1977 for the WC in Argentina in 1978. It was the modern era where total football etc was still being played. They drew and he nutmegged Cruijff and he said before the game he will do it. So Bestie can play in any era. I would say he would be much better now because he would be more protected.

Charmangle

You must have very easy definition of legend if you think he is Legend at Juventus, Inter and Milan. Played 2 seasons at Juve before moving to their rivals when they were relegated. Played 3 seasons at Inter and 2 at Milan. No doubt at PSG though.

You can say he is at Inter as he played 3 seasons winning 3 league titles but that's pushing a bit.
He is right. Zlatan is not only a legend in the three italian clubs, he is a legend in italy.

That legend status was cemented when he came to a Milan who was far from beeing close to contending for the top leuge places let alone winning. And in two short seasons he brought them to the tripple winning status against a very strong Inter and Juve. He carried the entire team both in italy and in the CL. And saying what you will about great clubs, but I doubt anyone can say that Milan isnt a legendary club with similar history as us. Most wins etc. Hardly a second tier club.

He has repeted that feat in club after club. Not to mention his work getting us back into the CL this year. As for PSG. They didnt win the league the year he left, Monaco did.

Reactions: SteveJ

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is right. Zlatan is not only a legend in the three italian clubs, he is a legend in italy.

That legend status was cemented when he came to a Milan who was far from beeing close to contending for the top leuge places let alone winning. And in two short seasons he brought them to the tripple winning status against a very strong Inter and Juve. He carried the entire team both in italy and in the CL. And saying what you will about great clubs, but I doubt anyone can say that Milan isnt a legendary club with similar history as us. Most wins etc. Hardly a second tier club.

He has repeted that feat in club after club. Not to mention his work getting us back into the CL this year. As for PSG. They didnt win the league the year he left, Monaco did.
Zlatan did very well but he isn't Legend. Also Juventus were far from the team that they are today. They finished 7th that season and also season before that they were midtable. Inter lost Jose and had a clown in charge, start of their decline.

Zlatan might be legend of Italian football but he isn't legend at any particular club.

Red_Aaron

it really is a terrible shame how many united fans have forgotten just how good Rooney was at his peak for us. at his best he was far more effective than zlatan imho. his shady contract negotiations have a lot to answer for but i wouldn't have swapped peak wayne for peak zlatan, no chance

as far as the OP's question re career i can see the argument either way and would possibly fall on Zlatans side purely from a longevity pov and there is value in performing across several countries. Wayne has the CL of course and he also had a big effect on an international tournament too neither of which Ibra did. It's close tbh both have been tremendous players

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool win the CL with Djimi Traore in their starting 11. That does not mean Traore is better than Cannavaro, who has never won the CL.
Therefore, it's Ibrahimovic for me.

Josep Dowling

Real tough question. I think I have to go for Zlatan purely for longevity. At 37 he’s still playing at the highest level.

Rooney dropped off 3 years ago at the grand old age of 29, most players should be at their peak at this age.

If Zlatan has a Champions League medal it wouldn’t even be debated. But the likes of Djimi Traore and Phil Neville have a Champions League medal, doesn’t mean they were good players.

Classical Mechanic

Some strange responses in here, and I am what some might call a Rooney hater. I wanted the cnut out years before he left.

But let's get it right. He retires leading ever scorer at Manchester United, having been a fixture in a hugely successful team for over a decade. He captained that side, captained England, smashed the Euros as a kid and scored more goals for his country than Bobby Charlton. In amongst that are a collection of simply outrageous goals and scary-good performances on the big stage.

Ibrahimovic pratted around in Italy as the league began to crumble, somewhat struggled at Barcelona and spent a good chunk of time in a second rate French league that was always going to inflate his numbers.

Even talking peak, there was a point in time in which Rooney was quite rightly acknowledged as one of the best forwards in the game. Granted, Ibrahimovic is an inherently better striker, but I don't think he retires with a legacy like Rooney's. Lots of moving around and lots of titles, but which club will forever remember him? PSG? Well...
Excellent post. Zlatan's goal scoring record was only incredible in the French League too, which was UEFA coefficients fifth best league in Europe when he was there. He playing in a side that never bettered the quarter finals of the CL with him as the star man.

Overall I would say their careers are similar. Zlatan's is remarkable in that he moved around so much winning titles but Rooney is the all time top scorer for one of the world's truly elite clubs and this was in one of the most successful periods for that club.

Liverpool win the CL with Djimi Traore in their starting 11. That does not mean Traore is better than Cannavaro, who has never won the CL.
This is just really weak logic. Rooney played in three CL finals and was a key player in one of United's most successful periods. He had a similar scoring record to Ronaldo in knockout CL ties for us. I fail to see the merit in your comparison.

am not a kid any more, I am over 50 years old, and I prefer to think long term. I believe that in 20 years people will have hard time to remember Zlatan. Yes, he was a great player... but for whom?
Inter, Milan, PSG, Sweden, hell he’s had one cracking year here too and might extend that.

I’m miffed as to your rose-tintedness on this. I’ll ask you this, do you remember Roberto Baggio @CA_vampire ?

MagooDad

I think they are very different players and therefore also had different careers. Rooney is more dependent on a good team around him, but on the other hand he makes a great team even better. Zlatan is rather unique in that he can make a ok team title contenders.

But some things to remember.
  • The question is not who is the best 35-year old of all time, but who had the best career. Younger Rooney was a more efficient player than young Zlatan.
  • Bandwagon- and recent bias - Rooney's best years are not now (neither are Zlatan's, but his current years seems more appreciated).
  • Rooney is a better support player, which makes Zlatan's numbers look better.
  • Rooney might have dropped off earlier at 29, but he also started earlier at 16. Zlatan became a good international player first at 21.
  • France is not a one-team league. And if it is it was due to Zlatan. The oil money project started 2 years before Zlatan joined PSG with Pastore, Sirigu, Veratti, Maxwell, Gameiro etc. They never won the league until Zlatan joined and so has not PSG done since Zlatan left. Even with spending over 100 million euros after he left. Only now with Neymar and Mbappe they will probably win again.
  • Serie A was weaker when Zlatan was there, than in the 90's. However he did win the league with all three teams he played with. And he spearheaded them, except for first year in Juventus. That is probably unique for a top league (Seedorf maybe)?
  • Man United/England bias - Rooney is top scorer of all time for Man United and England. Zlatan is top scorer of all time for PSG and Sweden.
  • Zlatans trophies might be less worthful, but he has loads of them. Second most of any current player, and top four of all time. And from the other four- Maxwell, Giggs, Dani Alves and Shovkovskiy, only Giggs can be said to have been the most vital contributor to a major title. That can be said for around 20 of the trophies Zlatan won over five of the teams (Ajax last season, Juve last season, Inter, Milan and PSG).

Last edited:

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Good point.

Still funny how so many English / United fans rate Rooney higher than Zlatan in terms of career. Pretty sure the vast majority of continental fans will choose Zlatan over Rooney at any time. Zlatan's career spanned over Ajax, Inter, Juve, Milan, Barcelona, PSG and with all he won the league titles and cups. It's hard to argue with the amount of success he has had across different clubs, whilst Rooney played for United and had some success as well, he has never had to prove it anywhere else too.