Zlatan's Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

If that's it for his United career I'm gutted. He had a great season with us.

Maybe he will sign for another year.

I think he has been harshly treated here sometimes. Despite he has been scoring goals there has been all the talk if we're better without him, not to mention counting his missed chances non stop. As if other strikers don't miss chances.
Not to mention the stuff about a blessing in disguise. Terrible stuff that.

Marcelinho87

Well we as a club ain't going to be taking up that further year even if he wanted to now, unfortunate way to end which was a good season for him.

Thanks Ibra!

Sentient Meat

Zlatan's an important reason why we are still in contention for a CL spot this season instead of midtable. If it were me, I'd give him the extension not only in gratitude for his contribution, but because it sends a powerful message to other world class players who might want to come here. I hope he doesn't read some of the cold hearted comments on forums and social media... very cynical.

Man-United

I think he has been harshly treated here sometimes. Despite he has been scoring goals there has been all the talk if we're better without him, not to mention counting his missed chances non stop. As if other strikers don't miss chances.
Not to mention the stuff about a blessing in disguise. Terrible stuff that.
Definitely. Best example is after the league cup final the huge love for him in every thread, and 6 days later against Bournemouth his thread had a lot of posts saying he should not get a new contract. Same been said in Mkhi, Pogba, Fellaini and Rooney thread whenever they have been poor. So many brutal posters.

And while he missed many chances, he has scored chances a "normal" striker wouldn't so it evens it out in the end. I mean, why blame the man who scored 28 goals when the second best goalscorer has 10?

Giggsyking

I have absolutely no experience in these matters - but I did do my ACL in a few years ago. I walked around fine for the entire day of the event, but wasn't able to stretch my knee out fully the day after. Sure Henry Shefflin tried to play in an All-Ireland final with a known torn ACL. They seem to affect different people differently - odd aul injury! I share your sentiments though, it would be a real shame for him now to come back. Hope it's "just" the PCL at this stage.
I cant answer orthopedics answers " cause im not one, im a radiologist :D" but the PCL and ACL is more responsible for the stability. If you had difficulty in flexion and extension of the knee it is more likely you injured the meniscus too. In my little experience in ortho it is more difficult to come back from a PCL injury than an ACL one.

iKnowNothing

Just to show how low the sun will go. They don't get any money from that.
If that's your intention, then you're better off not posting any links to their site. Curiosity will get the better of some of our posters who will eventually hit the link. They won't care how they get their clicks.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If that's your intention, then you're better off not posting any links to their site. Curiosity will get the better of some of our posters who will eventually hit the link. They won't care how they get their clicks.
Already edited.:)

DevilRed

I have absolutely no experience in these matters - but I did do my ACL in a few years ago. I walked around fine for the entire day of the event, but wasn't able to stretch my knee out fully the day after. Sure Henry Shefflin tried to play in an All-Ireland final with a known torn ACL. They seem to affect different people differently - odd aul injury! I share your sentiments though, it would be a real shame for him now to come back. Hope it's "just" the PCL at this stage.
Did my ACL a few years back and I couldnt walk on it at all the minute I went down.

Ended up taking out 30% of my meniscus while they repaired my ACL. Painful as feck. Took me a year to get back to sports.

It affects people differently. Some people come back in 6 months. Others never recover properly.

With professional athletes though, they would have access to the best rehab and facilities which is the important part to recovering fully.

Not giving up hope on Ibra. We will see him lift a PL trophy next season. Im fecking convinced he is destined to do it for us.

Ban

Definitely. Best example is after the league cup final the huge love for him in every thread, and 6 days later against Bournemouth his thread had a lot of posts saying he should not get a new contract. Same been said in Mkhi, Pogba, Fellaini and Rooney thread whenever they have been poor. So many brutal posters.

And while he missed many chances, he has scored chances a "normal" striker wouldn't so it evens it out in the end. I mean, why blame the man who scored 28 goals when the second best goalscorer has 10?
This. If he had scored those missed chances who's to say he would score the goals he indeed scored. And not only that would we definitely win the games in which he would score the missed chances?
It doesn't work like that.

el3mel

People here are always overreacting in evaluating a player based on the last game. All players are raised on the moon then slaughtered heavily next match. Too reactionary and overreacting.

We should be grateful to any player who provided any thing for the team whatever its size is and Zlatan deserves that.

Was nice to see him in United shirt even if it's for only one season. It's a dream that came true but too late and for too short.

Pearson

I think it has helped Rashford a lot to have Ibra here. And also it's been a great season to have for him not playing all the time. If LvG would have stayed the fear for me would have been that using Rashford like Michael Owen was used at Liverpool as a kid, playing all the time which to be totally honest led to him not being the great player he should have been for many years. Owen was great but injuries ruined it, think Rashford has been managed perfect so far by Jose.

But it has not done Zlatan any good to play all the time, 90 minutes after 90 minutes. It seem he was totally done after the League cup final. In a long season like United always have, we must rotate and esp a player who is 35 years old. So I agree the rotation must start as soon as, if, he's back.
I won't ever try to denigrate his contribution for United this season. But his influence is also double-bladed, to some degree.

He was never brought off by Jose this season, and he is the lynchpin player around whom Jose set up his tactics, meaning other players had to play around him. Whenever he is on the pitch, Rashford has to play wide. The other fact worthy attention is that Rashford played really well when offered chance to be a center striker last few games. That being said, I am not saying that Rashford could score as many goals as he did if he played the same amount of games as Zlatan did.

Zlatan is 35, he could not be in the club's long-term plan. He did a great job at United this season, that comes not without cost. It is probably quite costly, IMP.

Lastly, whatever happens with Zlatan, we need to bring in a competent strike which won't be a easy job for Ed Woodward and Jose this summer.

Reactions: top1whoisman

spiriticon

If he's out with knee ligament injury I'm not sure there's any point renewing the contract. It took Falcao close to 3 years to recover his form after a similar injury.

Untied

You probably do if you've already laid it on the table for him, and then he gets severely injured while under your service on your home ground. Otherwise you are going to look rather shitty.
Nah. You offer him the facilities for his recovery. If he wants a new playing contract he can find an MLS club for their season which starts in March.

But if he is a huge dressing room influence and wants to stay around the club I wouldn't be opposed to him staying on or transitioning into a coaching role. But he clearly needs to be replaced by a top striker in the summer now, and therefore there isn't really any reason for him to play for us again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he's out for 6-9 months, even at his age, if there is anyone who is determined enough to overcome this and accept the challenge, it's him. I hope we extend his contract for another year. I want him in and around the dressing room regardless.

NWOntario

For what it's worth, NFL running back Adrian Peterson blew his ACL in late 2011. He was back on the field for the Minnesota Vikings' opener in September 2012, and that season he came within nine yards of breaking the NFL's all-time single-season rushing record. Zlatan would have access to some of the best medical treatment on earth. He has a fierce work ethic. Knee injuries are brutal--I've blown my ACL twice--but given advances in orthopedic medicine, access to care, and the right facilities there's no reason it has to be career-ending, even for someone in his mid-30s.

El Zoido

If he's out with knee ligament injury I'm not sure there's any point renewing the contract. It took Falcao close to 3 years to recover his form after a similar injury.
Would be harsh to ditch him though. I wonder if he may choose to leave and rehabilitate somewhere else.

I'm really gutted about this. Seems like a matter of time before the di marzio rumours of ACL & PCL rupture are confirmed by the club. It was shaping up for a dream finish of him lifting his first European trophy in Stockholm, instead it looks like it may end like this.

Brophs

The One and Only
Does this really deserve a thread? The lack of a new contract means we've known for weeks that he has had A CL issue.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
People are jumping onto the speculation bus way too easily...
let's wait and see - Zlatan isn't made of Sturridge, so might not be so sincere..

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Agreed, age and injury suggests to let him go. You can't be sentimental with big business decisions like these.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Such a sad way for him to possibly end his United career.

I guess we will be going all out for a striker in the summer window then.

Griezmann and mbappe please Ed. :drool:

ZAGREB RED

F*in outrageous comments on here these days. People secretly happy our top scorer is injured
I know. it's pathetic, I mean you wouldn't possibly think he had scored nearly 30 goals from some of the BS on here. Isn't there supposed to be a rule on this forum about wishing injury on players ? It's sad, to say the least. Give the guy a break.

Eriku

feck, he is on the way out :'(.

Feel kind of bad for laughing at your nan dying, but that gave me a good chuckle now :lol:.
Like many other people, I do have a dead nan, but I never saw her hyperextend anything, so as far as I'm concerned, we're laughing at a fictional dead nan. S'all good (:

MadMike

I know. it's pathetic, I mean you wouldn't possibly think he had scored nearly 30 goals from some of the BS on here. Isn't there supposed to be a rule on this forum about wishing injury on players ? It's sad, to say the least. Give the guy a break.
Name one post where it's wishing injury on Zlatan. Go on.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
From my experience as a physio, it's an ACL injury. However it looks like a grade 1 maybe 2. It's pretty difficult to get a grade 3 (complete rupture) without a rotational stretch on the knee. He'll probably be out for 4-6 weeks - so season is over anyway. Shame for the big man.

Gasolin

Still no feedback from the United medical team regarding Zlatan and Rojo?

ZAGREB RED

Name one post where it's wishing injury on Zlatan. Go on.
That's for the mods to do, not me. There are a few posts on here that maybe don't specifically wish injury on him, but at the very least, imply that he has played his last game for United and United will be better off without him. From the tone of some of the posts people seem quite happy about the possibility of him not playing for United again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I feel sick to my stomach if he really is out for 9 months

MadMike

That's for the mods to do, not me.
Right, I see. So you are getting angry about people allegedly being happy with Zlatan's injury, calling it a "pathetic" reaction and all that. But when I ask you to link a single post from someone, anyone, that would trigger that reaction from you... you got nothing.

Do you just love getting angry for no reason? Are you maybe just getting angry with thoughts in your head? An internal dialog, of sorts?

Nickosaur

If he is going to be out for up to nine months, I find it impossible to have any semblance of optimism. Feck :( get better soon Zlatan

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Could this be the end of his career?
I mean, if he is out for 9 months. It will take around 6 months for him to re-learn how to use his body. For comparison, Falcao took much longer.
This will take him to the age of around 37, which will make it difficult for him to compete at the highest level. And Ibra won't be competing in low quality leagues - he'll expect to compete only at the best clubs and leagues.

Jaxdan

Nah. You offer him the facilities for his recovery. If he wants a new playing contract he can find an MLS club for their season which starts in March.

But if he is a huge dressing room influence and wants to stay around the club I wouldn't be opposed to him staying on or transitioning into a coaching role. But he clearly needs to be replaced by a top striker in the summer now, and therefore there isn't really any reason for him to play for us again.
Well that goes without saying. He was injured on the pitch and still under contract. I suppose we'll see, but I'd be surprised if they pull that offer. 15 mil or so? That's peanuts compared to the good will it would show to everyone, including potential future signings. Regardless, I just hope the best for him. He's been great to watch.

RedFish

He's been pivotal to getting us back on track this season. Obviously will be a massive loss at the 'squeaky bum' time of the season but it's not beyond us to achieve one of a) top 4 or b)win the Europa.

MadMike

Well that goes without saying. He was injured on the pitch and still under contract. I suppose we'll see, but I'd be surprised if they pull that offer. 15 mil or so? That's peanuts compared to the good will it would show to everyone, including potential future signings. Regardless, I just hope the best for him. He's been great to watch.
Firstly, £15m is not peanuts ffs. That's borderline insulting.

Secondly, players that don't sign long term deals take a risk with a huge potential upside and downside. The upside is that they can request massive sign-on fees. For example even Adnan Januzaj, when his contract was expiring, received a £5m sign-on fee (and £60k pw salary!). Otherwise another club could have offered him that money and signed him on Bosman. You can bet Zlatan received a big sign-on fee as a result of running his contract down at PSG, maybe even a fee as big as his annual salary. That's the upside of short-term contracts. The downside is obviously that you are not protected, in case of injuries and so on.

You can't take the upside without the downside. United, or any football club, is not a charity. Footballers are paid extremely handsomely, there is no moral obligation by the clubs to offer them £250kpw contracts just as a "thank you for the good times" when it makes 0 commercial sense. It's a business after all. The type of business that made Wayne Rooney twice put in a transfer request and hold the club to ransom in order to get paid on a par with the best players in the world. And you want to show the players "good will"? There is no emotion in business. End of.

If (not been confirmed yet) Zlatan did do his ligaments, then I do feel sorry for him and wish him a speedy recovery. It'd be very sad if last night was his last match for United, it shouldn't be this way. But we shouldn't be offering a 35yo with ligament damage a contract extension, ffs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It does sound horribly cold to say it, but if it is a long term injury, and we aren't already committed to a second year, it would be a super questionably decision to pay 300k a week for the rehab for half a year

Status
Not open for further replies.