Like-function for the forum?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Is there any discussion going on about adding on new functions to the forum?

My suggestion would be to add some sort of like and dislike thumb or whatever you can find. This way we could get a public opinion on each post.

For example, someone says Van Persie did well today - the other person says he didn't do well. Now this discussion could go on for a couple of days OR... it could be settled within a couple of hours with just seeing how people like the comment. You could see what posters are great and what posters are not so helpful. This is interesting in many aspects and only the imagination is stopping the possibilities - really.

And another thing, we're a bunch of people here who take pride in collecting posts, but I for one think posts counting is no longer valid since one can post every 30th second and gain a respectable account in a day, you could theoretically reach 2880 posts in 24h just posting a smilie - with the 30 second rule if i'm correct by that.

I believe there are plenty of us who are willing to raise our post quality just to get that extra "like". And those who fall under, lets say 10 000, they are automatically banned for a week!

So, what do you think? Thumbs up huh?

adam118

Is there any discussion going on about adding on new functions to the forum?

My suggestion would be to add some sort of like and dislike thumb or whatever you can find. This way we could get a public opinion on each post.

For example, someone says Van Persie did well today - the other person says he didn't do well. Now this discussion could go on for a couple of days OR... it could be settled within a couple of hours with just seeing how people like the comment. You could see what posters are great and what posters are not so helpful. This is interesting in many aspects and only the imagination is stopping the possibilities - really.

And another thing, we're a bunch of people here who take pride in collecting posts, but I for one think posts counting is no longer valid since one can post every 30th second and gain a respectable account in a day, you could theoretically reach 2880 posts in 24h just posting a smilie - with the 30 second rule if i'm correct by that.

I believe there are plenty of us who are willing to raise our post quality just to get that extra "like". And those who fall under, lets say 10 000, they are automatically banned for a week!

So, what do you think? Thumbs up huh?
I wanted to give you my opinion but we don't have a 'like' or 'dislike' function so I was unable to.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
So in other words instead of having a discussion on the forum, we will all just go around liking or disliking each post with a Facebook like feature. Sounds like a wonderful idea wonderfully awful

Liam147

On Probation
Wait people want to have a high post count?
Huh. I agree with you on something.

I think it's been mentioned before, and I don't think I thought it was a bad idea then, I don't now. I did see on another forum, there was a debate sub-forum, where two posters who go around in circles in a thread (Nani, Bale etc) could take it to another thread in another forum, and have it out in there, instead of constantly bumping a thread with no new info.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
to be fair, this is a discussion forum, not a popularity contest.........bar Hectic.

Plus we all know what will happen. Take your OP for example, it will get a handful of likes, whereas Soilius reply of "eat a dick" will get 1000 likes in the matter of 2 seconds.

Successful

to be fair, this is a discussion forum, not a popularity contest.........bar Hectic.

Plus we all know what will happen. Take your OP for example, it will get a handful of likes, whereas Soilius reply of "eat a dick" will get 1000 likes in the matter of 2 seconds.
Well, there's only one way to find out, right? :smirk:

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
The forum will go into sarcasm overload with everyone trying to rack up likes with clever comments.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd rather lick Dale Winton's jizz off a nettle.

Count Orduck

In fairness it works quite well over on boards.ie, but that forum has a totally different feeling to it.

Successful

OK

I can see where this thread is going - down the bin.

Honestly I was expecting to see a better support on this one, maybe it's the wrong time of the day? I will take this request back and come back with it a couple of years from now when people have matured and are ready to accept changes. Gosh, when did we get smilies on this forum?? :confused:

pauldyson1uk

OK

I can see where this thread is going - down the bin.

Honestly I was expecting to see a better support on this one, maybe it's the wrong time of the day? I will take this request back and come back with it a couple of years from now when people have matured and are ready to accept changes. Gosh, when did we get smilies on this forum?? :confused:
It not about being mature.
This is not facebook, if you dislike a post put why you dislike the post, just a thumbs down is to easy.

The matchday thread would be a nightmare with a like /dislike button, miind you it can be a nightmare now.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Could do with a ":lol:" button to save me posting :lol: all the time.

I'm joking, of course, this is a terrible idea.

Successful

It not about being mature.
This is not facebook, if you dislike a post put why you dislike the post, just a thumbs down is to easy.

The matchday thread would be a nightmare with a like /dislike button, miind you it can be a nightmare now.
I understand the downsides, but we also have to move with changes. I am very pro-facebook and would welcome a more integrated version of redcafe with facebook.

You see a great post, perhaps someone has posted some thoughts on the game that ended 10 minutes ago. *Boom* one click and it's shared on facebook = more traffic, better revenue and an amazing chance for the site to grow. Do you see the unreal possibilities here?? We could double our number of users 5 times and become something totally different.

It's all about putting all these ideas into one and evelope.

Name Changed

weso26
I would not like this idea. I don't think that it would be good for people to dislike your comments without actually giving a valid reason why. It is primarily a discussion forum isn't it? It's not youtube, or facebook.

pauldyson1uk

I understand the downsides, but we also have to move with changes. I am very pro-facebook and would welcome a more integrated version of redcafe with facebook.

You see a great post, perhaps someone has posted some thoughts on the game that ended 10 minutes ago. *Boom* one click and it's shared on facebook = more traffic, better revenue and an amazing chance for the site to grow. Do you see the unreal possibilities here?? We could double our number of users 5 times and become something totally different.

Have you read the Man United Facebook pages :eek:
The further away we stay away from them the better, the place would be a nightmare.

Hopefully RedCafe will never ever be like Facebook.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Facebook is a horrible invention that encourages people to be lazy and interact with the smallest amount of effort. If you say a great post, instead of clicking like, whats wrong with commenting why you like that post? I think the idea is though Redcafe doesn't necessarily want horde's of facebook users as I think the success rate of moving from newbs to mains would drop considerably... I'm trying to be constructive but I'm not sure if your WUM

Silva

feck that, the best thing about forums is that they give you the ability to talk about things. Everything else is unnecessary and often divisive, like and dislike buttons for example will only give further prominence to the popular posters and those who fall out of line with popular opinion of the caf will probably be bullied.

The share button is an awful idea as well, if I want to talk about something with my friends, why can't I do it when I see them in real life?

Not to mention, such things can make the forum look like a clusterfeck.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Good luck with that because it will never happen. Your idea (in mine and pretty much everyone elses opinion) is utter lunacy and is rubbish.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Facebook is a horrible invention that encourages people to be lazy and interact with the smallest amount of effort. If you say a great post, instead of clicking like, whats wrong with commenting why you like that post? I think the idea is though Redcafe doesn't necessarily want horde's of facebook users as I think the success rate of moving from newbs to mains would drop considerably... I'm trying to be constructive but I'm not sure if your WUM
https://www.redcafe.net/f6/400m-transfer-kitty-within-5-years-322093/

Shark

@NotShark
That has to be the worst idea in the history of time, as far as the Caf's history
goes that is.

People would become ridiculously lazy and just start to like everything, without any sort of reason or debate. It would destroy almost everything that makes this forum so good.

Bear Attack

You've certainly got a flare for defeating the conversational aspect of an internet forum.