£140m in 2 years - but do we still need an entire midfield?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The fact is, the midfield is 'better' - but is still a long, long way off top quality. Blind is a substitute. Carrick is a substitute. There is no combination of top-class technical passing/movement and physical strength.

I think we could easily say that we could do with an upgrade of the 6, 8 and 10 roles in terms of first XI, and probably the 7 and 11 too. Arsenal looked light years ahead of us in that area, and they are only Arsenal.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
What we really needed was another thread about money spent and players needed. We only have about 20 of them.

Bojan11

We need players like Pogba or De Bruyne. And a mobile CDM.

PvsNP

We need to do clever transfers rather than multiple big name signings.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Herrera and Blind showed tonight that they are nothing more than good squad players. I've been saying all season we need at least 2 world class centre mids, players that can take a game like this by the scruff of the neck, not playing fecking side passes every time.

Will Singh

We've had 2 new managers in that time (3 if you want to count Giggs) and I'm not sure which one is better!

Moyes knew the PL and knew what's expected, LVG doesn't know the PL but knows what's expected but wants to play the Barca style which you need Barca players for not rejects!!!!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'd like to see a birds eye view of our matches to see what passes are available to our midfielders and defenders, as they seem to always pass back. I don't think there's a specific problem with a part of our team, as the entire team isn't great (bar De Gea).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Herrera is good. Blind is a squad player at best IMO. A Carrick from his prime would be perfectly fine next to Herrera. What we need is a proper defence. And I mean an actual right back, and a top center back. Not constantly using a winger and a group of crocks.

FromTheBench

I am not really confident giving LVG any more money.

Seriously, he doesn't seem to know what he wants even.

Sam

And a defence, and a strikeforce.

The amount of money we've wasted is staggering.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Herrera and Blind showed tonight that they are nothing more than good squad players. I've been saying all season we need at least 2 world class centre mids, players that can take a game like this by the scruff of the neck, not playing fecking side passes every time.
Or they're told to play like that? Herrera, recently, seems to have curbed all his natural instincts to pass the ball side to side.

FromTheBench

Herrera is good. Blind is a squad player at best IMO. A Carrick from his prime would be perfectly fine next to Herrera. What we need is a proper defence. And I mean an actual right back, and a top center back. Not constantly using a winger and a group of crocks.
Our best RB is spending time on bench or U21S. We will buy a new CB and he will turn into a crock anyway.

Don't think defence is such a big of a problem as made out or even our overall personnel.

Our whole team structure is broken.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
We need a manager that buys players in positions we need and not pointlessly flash the cash about. We also need him to have faith in our best midfielder. Even though today wasn't his best game, it was crazy taking Herrera off. We need him to stop playing players on reputation and sort out a defence we all knew was shit at the start of the season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We've spent £46m on actual centre mids. Mata, Fellaini and Di Maria are clearly attacking midfielders which is an area that doesn't need an overhaul.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not an entire midfield.

Blind or Carrick + New box to box midfielder + Mata or Rooney or Herrera.

Simples.

Hed Zitin

Hooks Herrera whenever he has a squeaky arse and I don't think he wants him anyway. Blind is a squad player in my opinion. Fellaini isn't a United player. Carrick has needed replacing for a more mobile younger player for years. Manager doesn't rate Mata. What a mess.

Sam

Hooks Herrera whenever he has a squeaky arse and I don't think he wants him anyway. Blind is a squad player in my opinion. Fellaini isn't a United player. Carrick has needed replacing for a more mobile younger player for years. Doesn't rate Mata. What a mess.
We're in a much deeper mess then many realise.

We have the 'names' but the squad is an absolute mess.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I think so, yes.
We've improved the midfield. Time to improve it further over the next couple of summers.

Blind's a squad player, but if Herrera's as good as many like to think then he'll rise to the competition/challenge.

It's not about names, but the best teams in Europe tend to have unmistakable 'top team' midfields. Blind and Herrera could be a Spurs midfield in all honesty. Fabregas and Matic (for example) couldn't, and it shows.

Last edited:

Kag

Our midfield needs another player but it's probably our strongest position, goalkeeper aside. We dominate possession no matter the opposition and you can't do that with a below par midfield.

We need more defensive strength in there, but that isn't where we have spent the money. Only Herrera and Blind really count as central midfielders and both of them are more than good enough to play here.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
We played without a midfield for 5 years, so of course we don't have a brilliant midfield one year later. We really lacking a box to box type, who can protect the defence. But the defence is the biggest issue, some proper defenders will make our whole team more comfortable and will let us play more attacking football imo.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Last season we had a new manager and time. twelve months down the line and we've made zero progress having played Football Manager and ending up with an average squad.

That Welbeck winner was so symbolic, when our crocked galactico replacement was on the bench and Fellaini was our superhero on the pitch.

FromTheBench

We're in a much deeper mess then many realise.

We have the 'names' but the squad is an absolute mess.
You need to have a manager to get all the names performing and in a flexible pattern of play as a cohesive Unit. Nobody exists in a Vacuum.

We clearly don't have that as 2nd half today proved. 2 holding mids who don't create and then a big gap and Fellaini as AM.

Sam

You need to have a manager to get all the names performing and in a flexible pattern of play as a cohesive Unit.

We clearly don't have that as 2nd half today proved. 2 holding mids who don't create and then a big gap and Fellaini as AM.
Like I said in another thread, we didn't even look like a team.

Just a load of players on the pitch playing as individuals. No cohesion or fluidity. Players standing miles away from each other with no one to pass to.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Defence is the main problem. Any sort of decent RB, and a really top CB, and United would be nailed on for top 4.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

No, we don't need an entire midfield. We need a runner, someone who can operate in deeper positions and carry the ball forward. Not a pass n' move or a pass n' wait midfielder but a player with the ability to get on the ball and run with it through the midfield. Playing with a holding midfielder who isn't physical enough but heavily relies on positional awareness to play the role means that the player next to him must also have the ability to close down the first attacker and contribute defensively.

Other than that, we have good options in the other two midfield positions. Carrick and Blind can share the holding midfielder role and Mata, Herrera or even Fellaini can all offer different things when used behind the forward.

But we need that specific player or we're forced to only use the full backs or long balls to get the ball forward. At least some are finally beginning to understand that you can't play possession football and keep a relatively high defensive line with two holding midfielders.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The thing is, most teams don't have 11 stars. You get by with a strong, decent core and star players who have a free role. Players like Park, Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea have "done the job" for us for years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Our defence is overly criticised. We cannot create chances. That has probably been our biggest flaw for about 3 years.

AllezLesDiables

Needs a complete overhaul. Carrick is in the twilight of his career. There's no ball winner in the midfield.

FromTheBench

Our defence is overly criticised. We cannot create chances. That has probably been our biggest flaw for about 3 years.
This.

It's almost like we haven't spunked 100 million getting Galacticos there so our defence must be woeful.

Give the defence a coherent regular structure in front of any sort and they would do lot better.

The thing is, most teams don't have 11 stars. You get by with a strong, decent core and star players who have a free role. Players like Park, Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea have "done the job" for us for years.

And also this. So much this.

It's not like our competition does either in squad or team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hooks Herrera whenever he has a squeaky arse and I don't think he wants him anyway. Blind is a squad player in my opinion. Fellaini isn't a United player. Carrick has needed replacing for a more mobile younger player for years. Manager doesn't rate Mata. What a mess.
Well I'm sorry but the board will not let LvG just buy and buy and buy players willy nilly. He has these players he will have to use them. We cannot have complete overhauls season after season.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Last season we had a new manager and time. twelve months down the line and we've made zero progress having played Football Manager and ending up with an average squad.

That Welbeck winner was so symbolic, when our crocked galactico replacement was on the bench and Fellaini was our superhero on the pitch.
We're 4th and favourites to be in the Champions League places at the end of the season. That's progress. It hasn't been pretty, or even entertaining, but we're in a far better position now than we were at this stage of the season with Moyes in charge.