£140m in 2 years - but do we still need an entire midfield?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They are good, not sure they are 'very' good though. Di Maria aside, the rest are closer to 'alright' than they are to 'great'.
You will never have a completely great midfield. A good CM and a top quality winger to go along with Di Maria and we will be much better. The problems with the defence are more urgent.

Roman Bellic

Prick
great player - not sure I see him in central midfield in the premier league when the tackles are flying about though - more in the mata / rooney position behind a striker perhaps which is not the area we seem to struggle.
He has a defensive side to his game no? which is more than i can say for matter, who is useless of the ball - perhaps i'm being too harsh

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So you agree that we don't need an entire midfield?
Depends. We are not a team at the moment, and individually, none of them are good enough to be winning us games regularly. They are good enough to be a good midfield if they were in a team that made sense, but as a mere sum of their parts, they are coming up short.

We have no cohesion or fluidity. Because of this, the fact that they are not world beaters in there is being highlighted. The fact that Southampton, or Liverpool don't have world beaters is being masked by the fact that they have a fecking clue what they are doing as a collective. If we want to continue in the vein we are in, then only Pogba, Koke, Vidal etc will do, as they are all great players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Depends. We are not a team at the moment, and individually, none of them are good enough to be winning us games regularly. They are good enough to be a good midfield if they were in a team that made sense, but as a mere sum of their parts, they are coming up short.

We have no cohesion or fluidity. Because of this, the fact that they are not world beaters in there is being highlighted. The fact that Southampton, or Liverpool don't have world beaters is being masked by the fact that they have a fecking clue what they are doing as a collective. If we want to continue in the vein we are in, then only Pogba, Koke, Vidal etc will do, as they are all great players.
It doesn't depend. That's the only solution. To start playing as a team. That's what we've hired LVG to do.

RedFish

Agree. Teams with so called lesser players are playing with more cohesion tbh. We are not really showing any signs of progressing on that front. With the run in looming it's all about points. I think we can be better next season with the right players, but id be lying if I was 100% convinced he can get us playing in a style that gets the pulse racing.....

Reducation

Carrick, Mata, Fellaini, Herrera, Blind.
Januzaj, Young, Valencia, DiMaria.

All these lot need is the absolute best back 4 that United can arrange. Then play Mata in front of Carrick. Ta-da.

DomesticTadpole

Carrick, Mata, Fellaini, Herrera, Blind.
Januzaj, Young, Valencia, DiMaria.

All these lot need is the absolute best back 4 that United can arrange. Then play Mata in front of Carrick. Ta-da.
One more midfielder and a quality winger. Then the best defence that money can buy. United has been built on a strong defence, then the rest took care of itself. These last couple of seasons at the back have been a nightmare. Oh for even one of our CB pairing from the past in their prime.

Reducation

One more midfielder and a quality winger. Then the best defence that money can buy. United has been built on a strong defence, then the rest took care of itself. These last couple of seasons at the back have been a nightmare. Oh for even one of our CB pairing from the past in their prime.
Well it's only your priorities I cannot agree with; it has to be defence first. If only Vidic had stayed to play 22 league games; developing Evans beside him.... and/or Smalling and/or Jones, thereby giving DiMaria et al the confidence to go crazy at the other end.

DomesticTadpole

Well it's only your priorities I cannot agree with; it has to be defence first. If only Vidic had stayed to play 22 league games; developing Evans beside him.... and/or Smalling and/or Jones, thereby giving DiMaria et al the confidence to go crazy at the other end.
Sorry, actually the defence is my priority. It is to me why we are having to play like we are and it is impacting on the rest of the players. Until that is sorted nothing will change. We do also need the other players as well. However sort the defence first.

AllezLesDiables

Problem is that there is no meat and potatoes in the midfield it's all sauce and side dishes. Mata only works in a very specific system with his defensive liabilities covered up by his teammates. Fellaini works best as an advanced target man playing Stoke style football. Di Maria needs a strong midfield so he can focus on his creativity.

Carrick is 34.

If you swapped Southampton's midfield with the United midfield I have no doubt that United would challenging City for 2nd.

While Schneiderlin and Wanyama aren't world class they are consistenly solid and capable of exceptional performances.

RedFish

Sorry, actually the defence is my priority. It is to me why we are having to play like we are and it is impacting on the rest of the players. Until that is sorted nothing will change. We do also need the other players as well. However sort the defence first.
We have a perfectly decent RB on the bench already (Rafael). CB is the priority agreed, but our need for an all round B2B midfielder is just as glaring.

fallengt

Getting the best out of them is more important than buying new set of players. Herrera is a risk taker type but he isn't allowed to do that, Louis publicly stated that he wanted Di Maria in his team and theorically ADM should be our best player, He was great at one point but now he's slowly becoming Nani.

I really don't see buying more players is the quick fix here.

DomesticTadpole

We have a perfectly decent RB on the bench already (Rafael). CB is the priority agreed, but our need for an all round B2B midfielder is just as glaring.
That is why he wanted Strootman, if he had got him, we might have been better. However I am worried that he just had his sights set on him and with that injury it could be a disaster.

ManUSarge

Blind has easily been the best player on the pitch a few times this season. It being suggested that he is just a squad player really speaks volumes about this entire squad. To be honest, there are really only about 4 or 5 players that I don't see as squad players and most of them are playing as if they are squad players or on the bench. It is going to cost far more than 140m to buy the players that we need to be top again and our last 3 or 4 transfer windows have purchased us a good deal more squad players and very few top players (arguably 2).

ManUSarge

The thing is, most teams don't have 11 stars. You get by with a strong, decent core and star players who have a free role. Players like Park, Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea have "done the job" for us for years.
Yeah...but has this been United really? Did we consistently start all 4 at the same time? How many stars did we start in this lineup? Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Evra, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, VDS? That was our CL winning team. In my opinion, Brown was very good for us at RB that year. I would suggest that this team has far more "stars" in it than squad type players. We just haven't been replacing the Scholes', Ronaldo's, Tevez's, Rio's, and Vidic's when they leave and expect people like Cleverley, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, and Rojo to fill in their shoes.

Minimalist

No of course we don't.

We need two expensive, solid and reliable centre backs to add to Rojo/McNair/Blackett etc.

We could do with a dynamic midfielder in there without a doubt (i.e. Pogba).

rooney1905

We need two midfielders if you include a winger. We need an established central defender. We also need at least one striker with pace. Hopefully we won't need a GK but we have Valdes if the unthinkable happens. So at a minimum four talented players. We are going have another expensive summer. Especially when you consider LvG. Doesn't rate our right back or half of our midfield.

RedorDead21

Yeah...but has this been United really? Did we consistently start all 4 at the same time? How many stars did we start in this lineup? Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Evra, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, VDS? That was our CL winning team. In my opinion, Brown was very good for us at RB that year. I would suggest that this team has far more "stars" in it than squad type players. We just haven't been replacing the Scholes', Ronaldo's, Tevez's, Rio's, and Vidic's when they leave and expect people like Cleverley, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, and Rojo to fill in their shoes.
Did we play 4-3-3 that year?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We need 1 midfielder, 2 proper centrebacks, 1 right back, 1 winger and 1 striker. Then we need to get rid of Evans, Jones, RVP and send Falcao back to Monaco. Basically we are in a mess squad wise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think we'll sign one midfielder, the box-to-box type that LVG presumably thinks we're missing.

Strootman would have been the obvious choice but his injuries are obviously a big problem. Which other midfielders around could take that Strootman role?

Roboc7

Ideally I think we still need 2 midfielders despite all the money we have spent, a box to box player and a playmaker but realistically given all the other areas we need to strengthen I can only see us bringing in the box to box player. Schneiderlein or Kondogbia would be ideal, I hope we have the sense to steer clear of Strootman and Vidal but with LVG and Woodward making the decisions that might not be the case.

Personally I would also like to see us sign Saul from Atletico who I think is going to be a very good player in the future and would be a great addition to the squad. Mata and Fellaini should be moved on in the summer and decision needs to be made about what to do with Di Maria, firstly will he be staying and secondly is he going to be used as a winger or in midfield where he excelled for Madrid.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Carrick, blind, mata, Herrera and di maria are all quality players. I think they are being a little underrated here right now based on the dire form of the club in the past season and a half.

Carrick - although he is getting on his game doesn't rely on physicality and still has so much to give.

Di Maria - Arguably RM most important player last season and created more goals than any other player in the top leagues.

Herrera - was being said he shouldve been starting ahead of iniesta and xavi before their world cup humiliation.

Mata - Chelsea player of the year twice.

Blind - has his weaknesses (pace!) But with the right players around him in the right system and he can completely control games.

Devil may care

If we are going with a 3 man midfield next season;

Di Maria/Herrera----Gundogan/Blind

----------Carrick/Schneiderlin

Don't see why we can't pull that off.

Mykey

140m compared to who though?
If you look at our spending say over the past 10 years surely its nowhere near that of City or Chelsea. I don't understand why people are caught up on this.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I honestly don't know the solution. A pure destroyer with pace and power? An all around solid midfielder? A Fabregas type?

The only thing I can think of is to invest in a time machine to 2005 and get Essien and wrap his knees in wool every night.

Roboc7

140m compared to who though?
If you look at our spending say over the past 10 years surely its nowhere near that of City or Chelsea. I don't understand why people are caught up on this.
City and Chelsea got results and made improvements for their money though, we hVe spent over 200m since SAF left and got dramatically worse. Further to that a lot of the players we bought are supposedly at their peak and aren't going to develop significantly. Fellaini, mata and di Maria were bought to be good players straight away not to develop over time.

Personally I think we are spending money in a panic and in desperation and that needs to stop, if that means signing players on the way up and then improving gradually then so be it but the scattergun approach to transfers needs to stop straight away.

lalloyd

Need to stop spending big money on luxury players to paper over the cracks. Buy solid, dependable, physically able, practical players to build a durable spine.

RedorDead21

Need to stop spending big money on luxury players to paper over the cracks. Buy solid, dependable, physically able, practical players to build a durable spine.
Im not sure any of last summers buys were luxury players.

lalloyd

Plus Mata, also 2014. that's over a £100M in one calendar year.

DomesticTadpole

Plus Mata, also 2014. that's over a £100M in one calendar year.
If you count the money on Falcao loan and his wages, it is a lot. Blind, Herrera, Rojo, Shaw and Valdes are dependable players. It's the luxury one, especially Falcao that have put a spanner in the works. Unfortunately I would not put it past Ed to sign another unncessary luxury player this summer.

lalloyd

If you count the money on Falcao loan and his wages, it is a lot. Blind, Herrera, Rojo, Shaw and Valdes are dependable players. It's the luxury one, especially Falcao that have put a spanner in the works. Unfortunately I would not put it past Ed to sign another unncessary luxury player this summer.
I agree that the players you've named are more like it. It's just horribly frustrating when you look at the fact that we've paid so much money for players that haven't addressed the main deficiencies of the team. We could surely have improved our midfield considerably with the money spent on Di Maria? I really think that you need to build a physically strong and combative spine before you start looking at players like him. Another big summer ahead for LVG and Woodward.

RedorDead21

I agree that the players you've named are more like it. It's just horribly frustrating when you look at the fact that we've paid so much money for players that haven't addressed the main deficiencies of the team. We could surely have improved our midfield considerably with the money spent on Di Maria? I really think that you need to build a physically strong and combative spine before you start looking at players like him. Another big summer ahead for LVG and Woodward.
Falcao was a loan signing and it was a no brainer to get him in for 6m even on huge wages for a year. It hasnt worked out and we move on. Di Maria was MOM in the CL final. He'e a hard working player when on his game and he isnt a luxury player! The rest are about as glittery as a black brick so they defintely have no luxury status. Just because we couldnt adress everything last summer doesnt mean those we got are not of the required quality. Each of them could become starters in a future title winning outfit if we add the right players with them!

Devil may care

Cavani's agents ears just pricked up!

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
We don't need an entire new midfield. We need balance in there. Louis van Gaal always plays with a CDM, a defensive minded box-to-box and an attacking midfielder. He will not line up with 2 attacking midfielders unless we play with 3 at the back.

At the moment we've got:
CDM: Carrick, Blind
CAM: Mata, Herrera, Fellaini, Rooney, Di Maria
Box-to-box: He's tried-Rooney, Fellaini, Mata and now Herrera. None of them fit his profile for this role though.

So we're stocked for midfielders who can play attacking wise and we lack defensive minded players. Seeing he wants 2 defensive minded and 1 offensive minded players we can't play like van Gaal wants us to, unless he switches back to 352. We need a box-to-box player and maybe someone who can cover for him and the CDM? We also need to offload some of our attacking midfielders or strikers.