£140m in 2 years - but do we still need an entire midfield?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our midfield isn't world class but to be honest, our situation on the wings, strikers, and defence are now equally if not more concerning. This team needs a total revamp and the money we have spent looks to have gone in the gutter.

For what it's worth it isn't individal quality that lacks so much. It's that our team structure is horribly inconsistent in terms of the style everyone plays and here is absolutely no synergy in our starting 11 (whatever ether might be on any given match day ffs)
A half decent manager would be getting a tune out of these players. He is just confusing them with his philosphy. Cramming their heads with rubbish instead of just letting them play to their strengths.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A half decent manager would be getting a tune out of these players. He is just confusing them with his philosphy. Cramming their heads with rubbish instead of just letting them play to their strengths.
Nah they are just crap. They played shite even during Moyes time.

If ball possession confuses these poor things then they should apply for a job at Stoke.

DomesticTadpole

Nah they are just crap. They played shite even during Moyes time.

If ball possession confuses these poor things then they should apply for a job at Stoke.
The new players didn't play under Moyes, I agree that players like Smalling/Jones/Valencia don't have a braincell between them. SAF if he had ever signed a midfielder he would have loved to work with the likes of ADM/Herrera/Mata and he would have got the best out of them and he would have had Rafael back in at RB not bloody Valencia. He would never in a million years have signed Fellaini. I have slept on this and am still in a furious mood, that doesn't bode well.

devilish

The new players didn't play under Moyes, I agree that players like Smalling/Jones/Valencia don't have a braincell between them. SAF if he had ever signed a midfielder he would have loved to work with the likes of ADM/Herrera/Mata and he would have got the best out of them and he would have had Rafael back in at RB not bloody Valencia. He would never in a million years have signed Fellaini. I have slept on this and am still in a furious mood, that doesn't bode well.
I have mixed feelings about SAF. On one hand most of the crap players we had/have were signed by SAF. Jones, Smalling, Ando, Cleverley, Valencia etc. Its also true that SAF kept winning with these guys. Nevertheless were these players truly important for SAF's side (did we win because we had Evans in the team or because of Vidic, Rio, Scholes etc)? Also why did SAF retired the day the old guard showed that they couldnt carry the rest of the team for another year?

I have concluded that United's decline is the result of three manager specifically LVG's messing with formations/players, Moyes inability to understand how a big club works and SAF's wrong transfer strategy in the past 4-5 years. Its of course much more complex then that but I am just highlighting the worst stuff.

Mali_Zeus

No we dont. Suddenly Herrera and Blind are just squad players and 'not United players'.
That's bollocks, they're good player which would be good in a tuned system which we unfortunately dont have now.
No team has 11 stars, one in every position.

Blind has been good this season but every time he has a bad game he's suddenly a 'squad player at best'.
Herrera in this forum, either he's instrumential to our game or he's a squad player too, just like Blind...
We'd do good with one more CM and that's that.

We need 2 CBs, one RB and one or maybe even 2 pacey wingers though.

DomesticTadpole

No we dont. Suddenly Herrera and Blind are just squad players and 'not United players'.
That's bollock, they're good player which would be good in a tuned system which we unfortunately dont have now.

Blind has been good this season but every time he has a bad game he's suddenly a 'squad player at best'.
Herrera in this forum, either he's instrumential to our game or he's a squad player too, just like Blind...
I like the fact the new players, who have to settle are to blame, not the fact Fellaini is not a United player, Young was awful yesterday, Carrick at 34 is our saviour, when he is as usual being overrated. He is good he isn't great and is getting older and more injury prone. Yes Herrera was quiet first half, but he one player capable of producing something, but after a good half in which we pressed the opposition and played at a good pace, LvG thought that was far too much entertainment for one night and reverted back to boring boring United. The fact that Fellaini gets in the side ahead of Mata is criminal.

devilish

That's bollock, they're good player which would be good in a tuned system which we unfortunately dont have now.

We can't really judge our midfielders until the defense is sorted. Its impossible for these players to play their natural game when they know that the defense is leaking goals for fun.

In my opinion we should

a- stop thinking we're a big club. We don't have the squad to do so.
b- sort DDG's contract issue. If he leaves we're in trouble
c- start adding some quality defenders. I know that we love exotic names (Rafael, Rojo) and British talent but we need some dependable defenders with the physical frame to do well in the EPL and who wont break into pieces after 2-3 matches
d- Bring in some top quality DM.
e- add some quality on the flanks
f- stop trying re-inventing the wheel. Players should play in their natural role and pace is important in any team.

Mali_Zeus

I like the fact the new players, who have to settle are to blame, not the fact Fellaini is not a United player, Young was awful yesterday, Carrick at 34 is our saviour, when he is as usual being overrated. He is good he isn't great and is getting older and more injury prone. Yes Herrera was quiet first half, but he one player capable of producing something, but after a good half in which we pressed the opposition and played at a good pace, LvG thought that was far too much entertainment for one night and reverted back to boring boring United. The fact that Fellaini gets in the side ahead of Mata is criminal.
I agree. I think yesterday was a perfect game for Mata. If nothing he should have come on after we went behind.
Herrera wasnt anything special imo. But then again if he had to change maybe Carrick should have come in instead of Blind.

devilish

?
You know why SAF retired right?
Of course I do. Its just pure co-incidence that he retired the day the old guard either retired or became too old to do anything useful.

Mali_Zeus

We can't really judge our midfielders until the defense is sorted. Its impossible for these players to play their natural game when they know that the defense is leaking goals for fun.

In my opinion we should

c- start adding some quality defenders. I know that we love exotic names (Rafael, Rojo) and British talent but we need some dependable defenders with the physical frame to do well in the EPL and who wont break into pieces after 2-3 matches
f- stop trying re-inventing the wheel. Players should play in their natural role and pace is important in any team.
I dont think we are. Yeah it would be great if DDG stays but Valdes is a good keeper. He'll be even better with a good defense in front of him, not the crap we have now.

Mali_Zeus

Of course I do. Its just pure co-incidence that he retired the day the old guard either retired or became too old to do anything useful.
I agree with the rest of the post. Sure Fergie would do something with the existing squad and players but on the other hand he buyed some bad players we're stuck with now.

DomesticTadpole

In my opinion we should

I think the fact we didn't strengthen the defence in January with someone who at least has half a brain is now proving a big mistake.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Fellaini has been a mistake
Mata has been a panic buy
Blind a good squad player
Herrera a good acquisition
Di Maria only an opportunity

DomesticTadpole

I agree. I think yesterday was a perfect game for Mata. If nothing he should have come on after we went behind.
Herrera wasnt anything special imo. But then again if he had to change maybe Carrick should have come in instead of Blind.
He made the wrong substitution with Herrera, as you said Carrick should have come on for Blind, who has been way off form the last couple of games. He then left us with a player who is shattered and one coming back from injury, not a good combination. Either that or take Fellaini off and have Blind and Carrick with Herrera in there for a bit of industry.

devilish

I agree with the rest of the post. Sure Fergie would do something with the existing squad and players but on the other hand he buyed some bad players we're stuck with now.
I believe that SAF did the best decision to retire when he did. I am often considered ruthless as I don't believe in fairy tales and people who breaths and live for the good of the team alone. Nevertheless while I do attribute part of this disaster to SAF I am glad that he left instead of tarnishing his immaculate record. He deserves that.

DomesticTadpole

I believe that SAF did the best decision to retire when he did. I am often considered ruthless as I don't believe in fairy tales and people who breaths and live for the good of the team alone. Nevertheless while I do attribute part of this disaster to SAF I am glad that he left instead of tarnishing his immaculate record. He deserves that.
I wonder what he is thinking sat in the stand. Even he must be completely baffled by some of LvG's decisions?

Hamadovich86

Post Sir Alex we have spent a shit ton of cash but are not seeing the appropriate return on investment. Mata, Herrera, Shaw, Fellaini and Di Maria were all overpriced each for their own reasons but overpriced nonetheless. From a financial point of view as well as performances, Blind and Rojo have been our best signings over the last four windows which is kinda sad if you think about it.

SalfordRed1960

Fergie didn't get the best out of Vernon or kagawa so I think it is a bit of an assumption to say what he would do.
Only saw last 10 mins of last night game, and it looked like Adnan had a bad day at the office again. Don't see how LVG can be held responsible for the errors in play by professional players or diving. Jones is still clueless with the ball, so can't believe he will be here next year.

DomesticTadpole

Fergie didn't get the best out of Vernon or kagawa so I think it is a bit of an assumption to say what he would do.
Only saw last 10 mins of last night game, and it looked like Adnan had a bad day at the office again. Don't see how LVG can be held responsible for the errors in play by professional players or diving. Jones is still clueless with the ball, so can't believe he will be here next year.
I am trying to vent my spleen. If I don't I might just explode. I just feel like ripping someones head off at the moment. Once I get it all out of my system, I will be my usual sweet calm self again.:wenger::angel::angel::lol:

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor
Well after almost 8 years of incompetence and neglect and refusing to sign midfielders and this was always coming, our midfield isn't fit to lace top6 problem we have again I'd reading certain posters on here saying we need an entire strikeforce, have we learned no lessons.

Personally that game was screaming out for a park-ji-sung last night, unfortunately we now have a team of has-beens,divers and lightweights.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
We're 4th and favourites to be in the Champions League places at the end of the season. That's progress. It hasn't been pretty, or even entertaining, but we're in a far better position now than we were at this stage of the season with Moyes in charge.
Your league schedule in March and April is very difficult and Liverpool and Tottenham only two and three points behind, respectively.

At this point and the way you've been playing I wouldn't call you favorites to finish in the top four. I think a bit of luck, relatively easy run of games and picking up points here and there due to individual brilliance of certain players rather than good team work made some MU fans believe their team is better than it really is. Next few games will decide your whole season.

legball

They are good enough, we just need someone with a defensive nous, who can win the ball and get up on down the field. Secondly, I think Herrera and Blind are both suited to a midfield 3.

In a midfield three you need:

Someone who can keep the ball - Blind
Someone who can win the ball - ???
Someone who can do things with the ball - Herrera, ADM

If we get one top class ball winner it will transform us. We cant simply expect to buy a whole new team because the current lot arent as good as Keane and Scholes.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I like how players turn completely average when they put on the United shirt. Our players are all now apparently lacking in technique it seems.

DomesticTadpole

I like how players turn completely average when they put on the United shirt. Our players are all now apparently lacking in technique it seems.
They aren't, but they are having the technique and spirit coached out of them, then we all moan about English coaches.

itso 7

In a midfield three you need:

Someone who can keep the ball - Blind
Someone who can win the ball - ???
Someone who can do things with the ball - Herrera, ADM

If we get one top class ball winner it will transform us. We cant simply expect to buy a whole new team because the current lot arent as good as Keane and Scholes.
I agree with this completely. If we had someone who can win the ball and drive the team forward we'd have a complete midfield. That someone has to be our top priority going into the summer, well along with a top CB.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We're 4th and favourites to be in the Champions League places at the end of the season. That's progress. It hasn't been pretty, or even entertaining, but we're in a far better position now than we were at this stage of the season with Moyes in charge.
Really? I would put Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool as the favourites for Champions League places right now

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You can throw in all the best midfielders from every club into our team and they'd turn to crap, overnight. We're far too predictable to play against which makes every player, apart from De Gea, look average, at best. Every team we've played over the last 2-3 months has decided to allow our defenders and Blind to pass the ball among themselves with all the time and space they could possible want. We seem to be in no hurry to get the ball out of defense after having won it back, yesterday. Is it really a coincidence that any player in our team, when given a consistent run of games, turns to sh*t?

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
They aren't, but they are having the technique and spirit coached out of them, then we all moan about English coaches.
I was being sarcastic generally about some fans claiming our players are now suddenly technically inferior. I see it as a grass is greener kinda thing. I'd agree our team has some of the best technicians in the game.
Some say our midfield are of Spurs/LFC quality but then go on to admire their style of play. I've been making this point in other threads but the reason our players are not playing to full potential is that we don't have a balanced squad. One that have been assembled by 3 mangers with 3 different playing styles. One in which only a few meet the way the new manager wants to play. As as a result, we're having to make concessions in our lineup and playing style. Simply our best players don't compliment each other.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Really? I would put Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool as the favourites for Champions League places right now
Yeah, but the bookies don't. Arsenal are favourites, nothing between us and Liverpool. But in truth, there's nothing between us and Arsenal, both in terms of league position and ability.

Mainoldo

Yeah, but the bookies don't. Arsenal are favourites, nothing between us and Liverpool. But in truth, there's nothing between us and Arsenal, both in terms of league position and ability.
Arsenal will slip up. It might even be this weekend. Let's just hope we can beat Spurs and take some pressure off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Of course we don't need an entire midfield. Blind, herrera, di Maria, Carrick and Fellaini is a good set if midfielders.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Of course we don't need an entire midfield. Blind, herrera, di Maria, Carrick and Fellaini is a good set if midfielders.
They are good, not sure they are 'very' good though. Di Maria aside, the rest are closer to 'alright' than they are to 'great'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They are good, not sure they are 'very' good though. Di Maria aside, the rest are closer to 'alright' than they are to 'great'.
So you agree that we don't need an entire midfield?