£40m for Ozil | Deal to Arsenal confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Graham Hunter has allegedly said that Ozil & his father drug the transfer out waiting for United to come in and we never did.

:(

I don't understand everybody asking us to go for Ozil. Brilliant player, but we can't fit in Kagawa. How would we fit him in? 3 number 10s - Kagawa, Rooney and Ozil would never work. None of them are really wide players either. IF we sold Kagawa/Rooney then it would have been a brilliant signing, but we didn't.

In retrospect, we should have sold Rooney and bought Ozil. Pity he became available so late.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some muppet on talkshite said Arsenal would finish second if they signed David Luiz instead of Ozil.
:lol::lol: thanks for sharing. I'm literally in tears.

I'd say Arsenal has done the best business among the top 5, with adding Ozil and Flamini.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
An understated aspect of this deal is the statement of intent this signing makes within the squad.

From fearing the almost certainty of losing any of the likes of Cazorla, Koscielny and Wilshere next season, to being confident they will not only stay but other star players will be added too, is just brilliant. Granted there is always rhe chance our best players will leave, but at least we have ruled out ambition being one of the excuses.

It's just a massive turn around from the club.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Ozil will have a real tonic effect at Arsenal. Aside from his obvious personal ability and skills, the signing itself will serve as a huge motivational boost for the entire squad and as their new main man, he will bring more out of the existing players. One can expect a 10 point bounce effect just from that. Has the potential to be a 'Cantona' type signing in helping all the bits of the puzzle come together.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
:lol: Rooney being better than Ozil...

give me a break.

27.5 million gets you Fellaini...while 42 million gets you Ozil. The best #10 in the world. Wow. We reaaaaaaaaaaallly fecked up, didn't we?

forevrared

People bang on about his assist numbers, but Ronaldo and Higuain are going to finish a lot more chances than Giroud and Bendtner.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I have always rate Ozil as the 2nd best player in Real. Then in the whole world, behind Messi and Ronaldo, there are probably around 5-10 players in similar bracket, Ozil is one of them.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

give me a break.

27.5 million gets you Fellaini...while 42 million gets you Ozil. The best #10 in the world. Wow. We reaaaaaaaaaaallly fecked up, didn't we?

Ozil - Luxury
Fellaini - Necessary in central midfield (neglected for many years).

We didn't need Ozil.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
People bang on about his assist numbers, but Ronaldo and Higuain are going to finish a lot more chances than Giroud and Bendtner.
Its not just the assists but its also about his creativity. The chances he creates for his team and his strikers and the way he does it is what sets him apart.

RDCR07

Ozil - Luxury
Fellaini - Necessary in central midfield (neglected for many years).

We didn't need Ozil.
You could argue Van Persie was a luxury buy last season. How did that work out for us? Ozil aint some random squad player we are buying. He is world class and one of the top 10-15 players in the world.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
You could argue Van Persie was a luxury buy last season. How did that work out for us? Ozil aint some random squad player we are buying. He is world class and one of the top 10-15 players in the world.

Van Persie was just about fit into the squad in terms of playing time for Hernandez and Welbeck. If we had bought Ozil, it would disrupt the playing time of Rooney and Kagawa, players who aren't going to be as patient as the former two when it comes to a lack of playing time.

RDCR07

Van Persie was just about fit into the squad in terms of playing time for Hernandez and Welbeck. If we had bought Ozil, it would disrupt the playing time of Rooney and Kagawa, players who aren't going to be as patient as the former two when it comes to a lack of playing time.
That is exactly what happened when we bought RVP, not that Im complaining of course. He wasnt part of our plans if you ask me. I think he became available in the last minute and we went for him. Thats how it should be with world class players. They arent available often so when they are you take the chance.

Kagawa was part of our plans last season and hence we bought him in early. I think we were gearing to line up with either Rooney or Hernandez as our main striker and Kagawa playing behind them. But of course with us getting RVP, that plan went to ground. With Ozil he is more than capable of playing across any attacking mid position which means on the left wing as well. When was the last time we had a dominant left winger? Giggs and Young are shit. Nani if fit is very good but he hasnt been consistently fit either.

Also disrupting Rooney's playing time? I still want him to stay but I doubt he is going to past this season unless we can all come to agreement for him to sign a new contract. Not sure how well that will go at this point. And Kagawa is also capable of playing on the left wing. He does that very well for Japan. We can have one proper winger in Valencia or Zaha or Nani on the right and one unconventional winger is either Ozil or Kagawa or Rooney on the left. I still think it could have worked for us.

LR7

:lol:

I'm choosing to ignore the rumours that we were offered Ozil a month ago. Regardless of whether or not we need him, he would have given an RvP like boost to the squad (many thought we didn't need him either remember).

Anyway I'm sure Wenger will get the best out of him and I'd much rather see him play for Arsenal than the two plastic clubs.

Cina

give me a break.

On form they're probably around level, one creates more, the other scores more, but I think Rooney is a more influential figure on his team (when he's not sulking off the pitch). I'd prefer the latter if it wasn't for all the negative stuff he causes off the pitch.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Surely that's only on reputation, Cina. Rooney hasn't reached his highest levels for a while now and there's an argument to be made that he never will again.
I agree.

Rooney might be a massive bell-end but I found him one of the few players capable of moments of absolute genius during a match. Sadly, haven't seen much evidence of that in the recent past. I think shoehorning him into a midfield role, simply because he has the passing range and the engine has resulted in a 'good' player rather than the brilliant superstar he once was. I do have doubts about the efficacy in midfield in the CL. Having seen him last year, there were moments where the game completely by passed him before he would run down a player and foul him out of frustration.

It will be interesting watching United this season. Last season, their turd-like, but consistent play was enough for them to romp home. Don't think it will be all that easy, especially if RvP doesn't fire like he did.

Cina

Surely that's only on reputation, Cina. Rooney hasn't reached his highest levels for a while now and there's an argument to be made that he never will again.
"On form".

Not sure why people keep saying he'll never reach those heights again, he's 27 and looked fitter than ever against Chelsea.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"On form".

Not sure why people keep saying he'll never reach those heights again, he's 27 and looked fitter than ever against Chelsea.
Or more like he looked like he actually tried 100%

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
This 'top class holding player' twaddle is preached by the generation raised on Fifa and endless articles on midfield destroyers. Look at the top teams in the top leagues around the world. All of them have a midfield layer capable of shielding the back four and able to pass the ball more than 10 feet. The ability to tackle, harry, press and dominate and then distribute play on the break is what is required, not the limited vision and overbearing physicality of John Obi Mikel or a Check Tiote.

In Arteta, Ramsey, and Flamini we now have three players capable of disciplined midfield play and with passing and energy levels to match. Arteta was the best passer in all the leagues combined last term. I'd even say that from the start of Jan till May '13, Arteta was better than Alonso in that role.

Ridiculous how a whole segment of fans suddenly refuse to watch actual football and genuinely start believing fancy terms thrown at them by video games.

Cina

I don't believe he's capable of hitting the heights he did, even if he finds form. Especially not as an AM. But I may be proved wrong.
With Fellaini here he'll basically be behind RvP. The fact that Moyes was so adamant on keeping him makes me believe he's going to use him properly. There's no way Rooney's past his best, at the age of 27. Ozil is a great player and well done Arse on getting him, but stop overhyping him before he's played for you...

alastair

ignorant
Yeah Rooney clearly fits in that category.

What did those players have in common? Injuries.

Rooney has been stop-start for a while now because of his injuries.

The reality is that he's a big gamble today. If you want to compare him to attacking midfielders, I think most people would take Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Ozil and Cazorla ahead of him in a team, which is a shame, because I've always rated Rooney and think he's been poorly advised/used recently.

Cina

Some people peak younger. Not everyone hits it on their 29th birthday.
Ronaldo and Messi are fecked then.
Rooney has been stop-start for a while now because of his injuries.

The reality is that he's a big gamble today. If you want to compare him to attacking midfielders, I think most people would take Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Ozil and Cazorla ahead of him in a team, which is a shame, because I've always rated Rooney and think he's been poorly advised/used recently.
Like feck they'd take Cazorla over him.

Also, why are we comparing him to AM's? Obviously he's a deep forward.

How is he a big gamble? I'm really not sure how Rooney has shown he is on the decline, if anything last season was more of a "I don't give a feck anymore", he still had 2-3 immense months along the way when RvP was in his barren spell.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Ozil is better than Rooney and Kagawa. In fact, we don't even know if Kagawa will make it at this club. He's still unproven. Yet some of you are banging about him like he's influential to our game. The jury is still out on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.