İlkay Gündoğan Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blasphemy

Don't want to sign him until he starts playing football again. The last thing we need is Hargreaves part 2. He's a class act, or he was at least, but I'd much rather go after players who don't have that injury risk.

Would be best for everyone concerned if he resigns with Dortmund.

Anderson18

Is there a source for that somewhere?
I got it from twitter. Asked the guy who posted it and he said it's from Freddie Röckenhaus and it was in the printed version of the Real game from "Süddetusche Zeitung"

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I got it from twitter. Asked the guy who posted it and he said it's from Freddie Röckenhaus and it was in the printed version of the Real game from "Süddetusche Zeitung"
SZ is usually extremely reliable, however I haven't heard anything about that on the internet at all and if they wrote that a couple of days ago I probably would have by now, so I assume someone made a translation error.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You don't mess with back injuries, especially when the player is forced out for so long. He'd have a monkey on his back ever since he signs to prove himself to the fans and might even lead to over extension injuries.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
actually only till 2016; at least the german TV (ARD) said that. Thats a one year extension. Really weird. If thats true, its more or less a statement, that he wants to comeback next year and leave after that.

Varun

Staff
Good news. I really want to see him get fit and firing again. Top talent.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
That's one target down. But to be honest, if we were to ever sign him, we should be waiting at least a full year of competitive playing time from him again before jumping on board. 2016 extension isn't long so he could be signed next year.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
actually only till 2016; at least the german TV (ARD) said that. Thats a one year extension. Really weird. If thats true, its more or less a statement, that he wants to comeback next year and leave after that.
No it's not. It's more likely a statement that he wants to stay but the club won't give him a long contract until his issues are sorted.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
No it's not. It's more likely a statement that he wants to stay but the club won't give him a long contract until his issues are sorted.
sure; thats why he didnt extend his contract during the last year, when Dortmund made it public, that they want to extend the contract. I hope Dortmund has any clause to extend his contract.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
Most likely reason for this is no one came in for him because of his back issue. Or he's waiting out the transfer embargo for a move to Barca.

All in all I'm not overly fussed as I didn't think he would hack it in the prem. He's a low centre of gravity player with a back issue playing in the most combatative league in the world. He'd go down at Stoke and be out for a season.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
That makes sense but if Gundogan makes a return next season and regains his old form, Dortmund would be under severe pressure in 2015 with only 1 year left on his contract.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
That makes sense but if Gundogan makes a return next season and regains his old form, Dortmund would be under severe pressure in 2015 with only 1 year left on his contract.
They will be, but that's the risk they had to take. They would also get more value with 1 year of solid playing time rather than coming into a new team after a whole year of being injured.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This contract is less of a risk than handing him a long term equivalent.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
This reeks to me that he was on his way to Barcelona this summer. May as well sign a year extension now and wait until Barcelona are allowed to sign players again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I wonder what the new buyout clause is. How much to break the contract..
He didn't have one before, but it'll just probably take 30m next summer if he pushes for a transfer if he gets fit as well. It'll be the same situation as this year probably just with the bonus of him being fit.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Good news for him and good luck to him. Really like him!

Ruht

Probably a good indication Klopp is staying too, unless he's pulled a Fergie/RVP.
Klopp responded to the rumours and said that no one should call until 2018, so I don't see him going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Apparently there is a clause allowing Dortmund to extend Gundogan's contract by 2 years, however I'm not sure how true that might be.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They took a calculated risk. Well done for both parties.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Given our luck with players with long term injuries I'm a bit skeptical about Gundogan. He's still young though, I think it's best for everyone that he stays at Dortmund and has an injury free season, then ourselves and/or other clubs will be back in the hunt next summer presumably.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Given our luck with players with long term injuries I'm a bit skeptical about Gundogan. He's still young though, I think it's best for everyone that he stays at Dortmund and has an injury free season, then ourselves and/or other clubs will be back in the hunt next summer presumably.
If he can stay 2 years away from injury then he'll be worth it.

JaapStam1986

Glad to see he'll be back playing again. Too much of a risk for a club to come in for him. Give him a year's playing time and clubs will be in for him next summer.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
They took a calculated risk. Well done for both parties.
It was the smart play by both the player & club, tbh. This way the club can ensure a better transfer fee should he return from injury and be sold while the player gets some security & continued medical support to resolve his playing status.

Would've been foolish for anyone to jump in and take him as damaged goods and who would show more patience than his parent club to possibly recover anyway? Hope he comes back 100% but I am not optimistic

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The thinking behind is is probably that Dortmund will be the best club for Gündogan to regain his old form. The one year extension might be a thank you to his club (so they get a lot of money for him next summer, instead of nothing) as well as an extra incentive for the club to aid him in his recovery. In any case I'm quite sure that Gündogan is responsible for the short length of his new contract and not Dortmund.
Next summer he will probably re-evaluate his situation and (depending on offers) either sign another contract or leave.

jem

Yeah it's clearly a common sense move for both sides. It's a shame that he's been hurt. From the little I've seen (the CL games against Madrid primarily,) he's an amazing talent, and exactly the kind of player that we need.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The thinking behind is is probably that Dortmund will be the best club for Gündogan to regain his old form. The one year extension might be a thank you to his club (so they get a lot of money for him next summer, instead of nothing) as well as an extra incentive for the club to aid him in his recovery. In any case I'm quite sure that Gündogan is responsible for the short length of his new contract and not Dortmund.
Next summer he will probably re-evaluate his situation and (depending on offers) either sign another contract or leave.
Yep and I very much respect that. Don't like players who run out their contracts, much prefer the likes of Ronaldo (who wanted to leave various times but still signed a long term contract with us) or even more David Villa who signed a 6 year contract (!!!) with Valencia when he was 26/27. That way Real had to pay us 80 mil and Barca had to pay € 40 mil for a 28 year old Villa. Of course in United's case I would rather prefer if they don't want to leave at all, but if they do, then rather that way than on the cheap by running out their contracts.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Was the obvious choice after it was clear, that he won't play a game this season anymore. He needs time to recover at Dortmund and if he gets back to his best, he can look for a 2015 move, hope we are a possibility then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.