İlkay Gündoğan Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
This could be Nani style extension that protects both player (guarantees his wages after becoming injury prone) and team (ensures he doesn't go for peanuts in the Summer).

ManniKaltz

Extract from a brief interview with Ilkay (literal translation):

Goal.com: Ilkay Gündogan, of course we have to ask at the very beginning: How is your back doing, how is your rehab coming along?

Gündogan: The rehab is going well, I'm working daily on my come back. I still have pain but feel how things proceed. The measures we've taken now are the right ones. However, I can't tell by when I will be fit again; that's not so easy to tell. But I hope to be back for the new season and to re-gain my strength.
Don't know how many times I've read or heard him saying this ... I've written Ilkay off last year already, and unfortunately, he proved me right for many months now ...

ManniKaltz

Some scraps from interviews with Ilkay:
  • He's confident that once he's painfree (which he still isn't), he'll come back quickly.
  • He hopes to be fit once the Bundesliga kicks off.
  • Surgery is not likely as of now but can't be ruled out completely.
  • He had offers from big clubs this summer despite of his injury.
  • He's convinced that he would make it at big clubs, e.g. Barcelona

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Has his back problem actually been diagnosed yet? I mean do they actually have a name for the problem he has?

'Nerve root inflammation' is a symptom and not the cause, as far as I'm aware anyway

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Has his back problem actually been diagnosed yet? I mean do they actually have a name for the problem he has?

'Nerve root inflammation' is a symptom and not the cause, as far as I'm aware anyway
As far as I know the initial injury is already treated and in order, but the inflammation is persistent and won't disappear as quickly as they hoped.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Without knowing the specific details, the ones that have been leaked over the past year suggest chronic neuropathic pain and, generally speaking, there isn't really a cure so much as there are forms of management for it. His professional footballing prognosis is not a positive one

ManniKaltz

Without knowing the specific details, the ones that have been leaked over the past year suggest chronic neuropathic pain and, generally speaking, there isn't really a cure so much as there are forms of management for it. His professional footballing prognosis is not a positive one
I'm not a physician as you are IIRC - but would CNP be curable by surgery? I thought CNP is treated by SNRIs like Cymbalta etc.

I have to admit that I started distrusting Gündogan's communication about his health status including diagnoses as he was providing as much conflicting information as he "accused" the media to do.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
There are no magic cures for chronic nerve pain, unfortunately - atm, anyway. Depending on whether it's a bulging disc, neuroforaminal impingement or some form of stenosis there are surgical options but they are neither without risks nor guarantees

The MD leaks after Barcelona's physician saw him in Germany cited a bulging disc which is probably among the more manageable scenarios via surgery but, again, it can often be a race without a finish line as issues on one spinal level invariably lead to issues at levels below & above. This is entirely speculative of course but everything I've gleaned from reports on him make me feel that the dreaded career ending conversation will enter into the mix starting next season.

Hope I'm wrong

ManniKaltz

There are no magic cures for chronic nerve pain, unfortunately - atm, anyway. Depending on whether it's a bulging disc, neuroforaminal impingement or some form of stenosis there are surgical options but they are neither without risks nor guarantees

The MD leaks after Barcelona's physician saw him in Germany cited a bulging disc which is probably among the more manageable scenarios via surgery but, again, it can often be a race without a finish line as issues on one spinal level invariably lead to issues at levels below & above. This is entirely speculative of course but everything I've gleaned from reports on him make me feel that the dreaded career ending conversation will enter into the mix starting next season.

Hope I'm wrong
AFAIK Gündogan had rejected reports that he saw a Barca doc but in any case, absolutely nothing I've heard or read for the last months gave me any confidence that he'll ever come back as a professional football player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Hope I'm wrong
Would be really sad if his career was cut short. would've gone down as the greatest Turkish player ever.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Would be really sad if his career was cut short. would've gone down as the greatest Turkish player ever.
Not that I want to start some shit storm or sound ignorant, but isn't he German born and bred? Playing for German NT and stuff.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Not that I want to start some shit storm or sound ignorant, but isn't he German born and bred? Playing for German NT and stuff.
Yes, strange comment. His parents immigrated to Germany more than 10 years before he was born. He's born in Germany, grew up here and played for all the German youth nationalteams. It's like saying Zidane is the greatest Algerian player ever.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, strange comment. His parents immigrated to Germany more than 10 years before he was born. He's born in Germany, grew up here and played for all the German youth nationalteams. It's like saying Zidane is the greatest Algerian player ever.
Some stupid Algerians really believe and say that.

Bwuk

Gutted for him. Without these injuries he'd of been the best midfielder in the world by now I reckon. Was well on his way with Dortmund before them.

Ruht

It is going to be incredibly hard for him to even get back on the pitch, let alone regain his form. Really hope that's the last of the operations. Such a shame to see him off the field for so long.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He hasn't actually had any surgery yet has he? He was trying to avoid it except for as a last resort.

That tends to be the attitude towards back injuries in general. With mine I was told there's a 50/50 chance of success and another 50/50 chance that if the surgery doesn't help, it can make things worse. If he's finally resorting to this it means he's tried everything and nothing has worked.

I really feel for him. Must be tough and wish him all the best.

Jev

Says there were no complications and the club are now hoping it will be just three more months.

ManniKaltz

I don't expect him to be on the pitch in a competitive match before November 2014 if at all. Don't think we'll get a decent transfer fee for him next summer but thanks to his - sometimes more, sometimes less significant - contribution to our successes in the past, we should be financially even.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Says there were no complications and the club are now hoping it will be just three more months.
how many times did we hear that about hargreaves and fletcher!
hope things work out ok for him but hope we avoid untill he has had a sustained period of playing and got back to his pre injury form

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I am also not sure if we will see him again or at least I don't think he will ever be the same player again. It's really a shame, was one of my favorites, fantastic midfielder.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
3 months depends entirely on his recovery and there's absolutely no way to be definitive about that timeline

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I hope he's back to his best soon. Would be good for the league and great for our national team.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's on like Donkey... well, actually more like Carsten Rameloff.

Status
Not open for further replies.