İlkay Gündoğan Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was 1 of my favourite players before he got injured. Glad to see he is getting back to fitness and hopefully can continue to have a great career. He was too good to fade into the darkness!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Good to hear he's making progress
I thought he got back to the training with a ball stage earlier in the year? Until he gets this nerve inflammation problem totally cleared up, it sounds like the sort of thing that can keep flaring up.

Oo0AahCantona

I would take a 20m pound punt on him. even if it takes him another season and a bit to get back into a playable shape. i just think hes worth the gamble. Sure he could be a perma crock with no resell value whatsoever. But the upside is one of the greatest young cm's on the planet at a bargain fee.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I thought he got back to the training with a ball stage earlier in the year? Until he gets this nerve inflammation problem totally cleared up, it sounds like the sort of thing that can keep flaring up.
He was going in and out of training for months, if I remember correctly. Would train, have pain and pause for some weeks again. That was before the surgery, however. Seems to be doing way better apart from his belly.

Brightonian

I would take a 20m pound punt on him. even if it takes him another season and a bit to get back into a playable shape. i just think hes worth the gamble. Sure he could be a perma crock with no resell value whatsoever. But the upside is one of the greatest young cm's on the planet at a bargain fee.
Nah, that would just be a silly gamble to take. We're not talking an ankle injury that's been exacerbated a couple of times a la Wilshere, for example. A back problem like this can easily end a player's career and could probably flare up at any time. It would be a worse risk than Hargreaves was.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Thats a damn shame. He still has time on his side and hopefully he can be the player he was again.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Hope he gets back to the player he was. Even if he never ends up at United, he's wonderfully talented and great to watch.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He will lose the weight in no time, it must be very easy to gain a few kilograms when you are a professional athlete unable to train I imagine.

RooneyLegend

really hope he gets back to full fitness soon so he can get back to handing out midfield lessons again

Bwuk

The absolute dream midfield signing. One of my favourite players around, hopefully he gets his career back on track, even if we never sign him.

Gundogan - Herrera would be sweet though... one day..

NMF

Feel so sorry for him. Imagine how good he'd be had it not of gotten these back injuries, hope he can get back to that level.

Flying_Heckfish

Some BBC Gossip today:

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Ilkay Gundogan, 24, who has been a target of Manchester United is open to a move to the Premier League after recovering from injury
Quotes:

"Real Madrid made an offer for me but my club refused it," the Germany international said.

"At the time I had two more seasons on my contract. But also, my injury wrecked everything. I couldn't play for 14 months.

"Now I want to look forward and make up for lost time with sporting success.

"Playing outside Germany is one of my big goals. If one day I leave here, I'd like to play in Spain or for one of the big teams in England."
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-hes-open-to-premier-league-move-9880829.html

Last thing we need is another crocked player so can't see it personally.

Roboc7

We already have more than our fair share of players with injury problems so even though Gundogan or Vidal would be ideal for us it is irrelevant because they would be expensive and have long standing injuries that are probably going to remain with them throughout their career. It's time to move on and look at other targets and forget about those two.

Devil may care

We already have more than our fair share of players with injury problems so even though Gundogan or Vidal would be ideal for us it is irrelevant because they would be expensive and have long standing injuries that are probably going to remain with them throughout their career. It's time to move on and look at other targets and forget about those two.
Strootman as well?

gaucho_10

He's closest thing to Modric out there. I hope we sign him as his long term replacement at some point.

Bwuk

He's an unbelievable talent. We should be all over this if he can prove his fitness.

Roboc7

Strootman as well?
Strootman could be a similar story but potentially he might make a full recovery it’s too early to tell but Falcao highlights the risk, the other two I think have more chronic problems that are unlikely to disappear.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Some of these replies show a complete lack of understanding of his injury. I have a vaguely similar problem that was keeping Gundogan out, so I've read quite a bit into his injury to try and find a solution to my own.

He put weight on because any sort of movement is painful. I hope the comparisons to Anderson were tongue in cheek, because they are totally different. It's not like a break for example, where you can still do certain exercises to stay in shape. From what I read, he was in pain through very little movement. He seems to have lost his weight and got back into shape very quickly.

Also as I understand it, his nerve inflammation issues look to have been sorted. I've not paid much attention to how he's getting on recently, but this is the furthest his recovery has got by a long way since the original injury.

Devil may care

Strootman could be a similar story but potentially he might make a full recovery it’s too early to tell but Falcao highlights the risk, the other two I think have more chronic problems that are unlikely to disappear.
Why is he more likely to make a full recovery? In the case of Vidal, being older and rushing his rehab, I can see your point, but Gundogan is the same age as Strootman and this back problem was the first major issue of his career, it's supposed to have been fixed with the operation he had so I don't think he's any bigger risk than Strootman.

BarstoolProphet

He's an unbelievable talent. We should be all over this if he can prove his fitness.
I've noticed that he's back playing for Dortmund but unfortunately I haven't had time to watch the last Dortmund matches. Anyone that can shed light on how he has performed since his comeback?

Brightonian

Incredible player, but I'd like us to be really, really confident he's not going to be a permacrock before trying to sign him. More injuries is the last thing we need to buy.

Roboc7

Why is he more likely to make a full recovery? In the case of Vidal, being older and rushing his rehab, I can see your point, but Gundogan is the same age as Strootman and this back problem was the first major issue of his career, it's supposed to have been fixed with the operation he had so I don't think he's any bigger risk than Strootman.
Gundogan was basically out for over a year and has only just come back and there are question marks about if he will ever recover, Stootman might never recover fully either but there is a good chance if his rehab went well he might not suffer from it again. Personally I would stay clear of all three as spending over £30m on any player with injury concerns when we are already plagued by injuries makes no sense.

Devil may care

Gundogan was basically out for over a year and has only just come back and there are question marks about if he will ever recover, Stootman might never recover fully either but there is a good chance if his rehab went well he might not suffer from it again. Personally I would stay clear of all three as spending over £30m on any player with injury concerns when we are already plagued by injuries makes no sense.
I don't think the question marks over his physical recovery, obviously returning to prior form is impossible to be sure of. If we write off all 3 we are discussing here then we are very short of options to bolster midfield.

anchan1989

Soccerbase says 5 games so far. I think three were starts. Pretty sure his last match was the first full 90 mins he's played yet.

Dortmund fans, is he back to decent fitness levels yet, or still fat?
Not a Dortmundfan but I never heard any complains on that front.
He is an incredible player, 24 till next! october and I would take him for my Bayern any second. And that is saying something, taking our talent pool into account.
I get the feeling that he knows what Dortmund did for him and that he has to pay something back BUT he just came there age 22. He has yet to prove himself after his long injury but in terms of talent he is a guy who can play everywhere.
And IF he has 1 or 2 great seasons there till 2015/16 he could be tempted to try something new.
Reached a CL final with Dortmund, scored there. Could be enough for him with this club. We will see. But only United or Chelsea in England for me. City has a bad name in Germany atm.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not a Dortmundfan but I never heard any complains on that front.
He is an incredible player, 24 till next! october and I would take him for my Bayern any second. And that is saying something, taking our talent pool into account.
I get the feeling that he knows what Dortmund did for him and that he has to pay something back BUT he just came there age 22. He has yet to prove himself after his long injury but in terms of talent he is a guy who can play everywhere.
And IF he has 1 or 2 great seasons there till 2015/16 he could be tempted to try something new.
Reached a CL final with Dortmund, scored there. Could be enough for him with this club. We will see. But only United or Chelsea in England for me. City has a bad name in Germany atm.
Anything to do with Bayern handing their asses to them twice annually without fail?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Incredible player, but I'd like us to be really, really confident he's not going to be a permacrock before trying to sign him. More injuries is the last thing we need to buy.
Same.

If he's sure to be properly back, he's as good a young midfielder as we can get. For me he was the best young cm in the game before his injury.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What a douche bag, has a long term injury, Dortmund stick with and support him through it and then as soon as he recovers fitness he's trying to talk himself up in the media for a move.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If he proves fitness, would love to have him here. Big fan of his. Quality player.

Roboc7

I don't think the question marks over his physical recovery, obviously returning to prior form is impossible to be sure of. If we write off all 3 we are discussing here then we are very short of options to bolster midfield.
It reduces the options but no point buying players who can’t get themselves on the pitch and there are plenty of other good or potentially players out there. Vidal I think has to be ruled out because of his knee, I don’t see Gundogan as a viable option until summer 2016 and same could possibly be said of Strootman.

Gundogan has only played a handful of games this season and at best by the end of the summer he will have played six months worth of football in 2 years, if he could be bought for £10m it’s worth a punt but Dortmund will want more than double that so it would be a massive risk to sign him. It’s a similar story to Falcao you are expected to pay the fee and wages the player was worth prior to the injury but there is no guarantee they are that player anymore, so you either take a massive risk or move on to someone else.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What a douche bag, has a long term injury, Dortmund stick with and support him through it and then as soon as he recovers fitness he's trying to talk himself up in the media for a move.
That's what I thought as well, but Gündogan denied those quotes today. He never gave an interview to the English media and the only explanation he has for those false statements is a wrong translation from an interview he gave to a Turkish newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.