Music 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
You like Slipknot, korn and others and have never listened to a full Sabbath album? Weird.
Why is that weird?
I like a few of Sabbath and Ozzy's songs, but not enough to want to listen to other than their best/most popular ones.

I respect what they have done for rock and metal, but no interest in listening to a full album.

You think that all metalheads like the same music, and have to love Ozzy, Van Halen and Iron Maiden ?

Grylte

The list was clearly created by one person with specific musical tastes. For instance, there was way too much Morrisey.
I bet my butt virginity that the list is made by a Brit, without checking the name on the site.

Grylte

Sabbath, yes.
I think his voice gets quite annoying if i listen for too long :lol:

Iron Maiden, yes.

It's actually in the scriptures.

Sure, i can listen to some of their best songs, but i think most of it is quite boring.

And sound quality on old albums are meh... No, i don't care about vinyl either ;)

onemanarmy

I think his voice gets quite annoying if i listen for too long :lol:

Sure, i can listen to some of their best songs, but i think most of it is quite boring.

And sound quality on old albums are meh... No, i don't care about vinyl either ;)
You clearly forgot to read the metalhead manual when you started listening to metal. I always thought it was mandatory ;)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Listened to Janelle Monae for the first time because of this. Damn she's good.

DavelinaJolie

It's weird, being into extreme metal mostly I always expect to see very little of interest to me in these lists, but I guess as I got older I started exploring more and listening to John Coltrane, The Beatles, Kate Bush, rock, rap... Ended up with 18% (176). Was really interesting to see Girls vs. Boys in there, and Napalm Death. Also strangely satisfying is seeing two of my favourites in (Metallica's "And Justice For All", and Bonnie Prince Billy's "I See a Darkness").

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Thanks @BD for posting this, by the way. Started with the List in April and I‘ve listened to the first 830 of the albums on it since then. Found a lot of really great music.

Superunknown

I've been planning to do something like this for a while, so I may work my way through this list at my own pace. Maybe put an album on in the car on the way to work, for example.

I had a score of 129, but there are some that I didn't click as I wasn't sure if I had listened to the whole album or just a select few tracks, but I think that it's a fairly accurate number. Some of my childhood defining albums on there, notably "The Bends", "The Last Broadcast", "Californication" and "Everything Must Go". Was just listening to Californication yesterday. :)

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Thanks @BD for posting this, by the way. Started with the List in April and I‘ve listened to the first 830 of the albums on it since then. Found a lot of really great music.
Nice, I've just recently started to do similar. Any special recommendations?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Let's say you're given a terminal diagnosis and dedicate your last 6 months to working through this list. You listen to everything other than Robbie Williams' Life through a lens and have a couple of days left.

Do you actually do it?
Don't see why not. It's a decent album.

Superunknown

Not too ashamed to say that I own this album (somewhere) and that it's not actually too bad. "Lazy days" and "Old Before I Die" were my two favourites at the time. There have definitely been many worse albums!

I've not listened to the album in a long time, but I could understand why some might look back on this nostalgically and fondly. Especially given the time it released during that fantastic era of the 90s where there was such a range of good music. Even pop music then had a special quality.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's a chimp-faced chancer who just sings other people's songs. I'd rather pull my death-date forward than spend my final hours listen to fecking Angels.

Superunknown

I've decided to start from zero and am going to listen to/tick off every album on this list, even with the ones that I know I've already listened to before. Listened to Frank Sinatra's "In the wee small hours" earlier today and have just re-listened to Prince's 1999 album. Little Red Corvette is such a tune! Forgotten how much I love this song. It takes a re-listen to really appreciate certain tracks.

Minkaro

I am actually making my way through this list. It's been good fun, currently on Stephen Still's 1972 album Manassas. It's good to experience music that you'd never otherwise listen to, and broaden horizons.

Grande

It's weird, being into extreme metal mostly I always expect to see very little of interest to me in these lists, but I guess as I got older I started exploring more and listening to John Coltrane, The Beatles, Kate Bush, rock, rap... Ended up with 18% (176). Was really interesting to see Girls vs. Boys in there, and Napalm Death. Also strangely satisfying is seeing two of my favourites in (Metallica's "And Justice For All", and Bonnie Prince Billy's "I See a Darkness").
Music is music, as Miles used to say.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Nice, I've just recently started to do similar. Any special recommendations?
I think my biggest surprise was, that I really like Jazz. Before the list I would listen to some Jazz every now and then, now I do it all the time.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I failed to mention how great it was to discover Captain Beefheart. That was like a revelation to me.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
More than I expected. 230, though a few of those I cringed at having actually heard. Like the Kid Rock album. Yikes.

Lots more I've heard singles and misc tracks from but not the album front to back.

Bit of a strange list in places. Seems to include not necessarily the best album by some artists. Husker Du's Warehouse Songs and Stories is on there, but not their most critically acclaimed Zen Arcade? I'd also have New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig over Warehouse too. Ghostface Killah's Fishscale, but no Iron Man or Supreme Clientele?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Now that I’m done with the list and have rated every album, here are those that scored 10/10 and are therefore objectively the best albums on the list:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Kinks - Face to Face
The Doors - The Doors
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Kraftwerk - Menschmaschine
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Joy Division - Closer
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Leonard Cohen - I‘m Your Man
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Rage Against The Machine - RATM
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Radiohead - The Bends
Pulp - Different Class
Nick Cave - The Boatmen‘s Call
White Stripes - Elephant
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid

BD

Wow you flew through that @HTG

I'm working my way through too, and next on my list is The Kinks - Face to Face. So far my favourite new find has been Dave Brubeck - Time Out. I've re-listened to that a lot since the first time.

Did you go through it in order, or in a random way? I'm currently going in order but torn between doing it that way, or taking a random album each day. In theory it's nice to see how certain styles emerge and then fade away, but that's not quite working out in practice.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Wow you flew through that @HTG

I'm working my way through too, and next on my list is The Kinks - Face to Face. So far my favourite new find has been Dave Brubeck - Time Out. I've re-listened to that a lot since the first time.

Did you go through it in order, or in a random way? I'm currently going in order but torn between doing it that way, or taking a random album each day. In theory it's nice to see how certain styles emerge and then fade away, but that's not quite working out in practice.
Dave Brubeck is great. Jazz that isn't that melancholic is very rare, so he hit right home with me.
Face to Face is incredible. Love that album. Already liked the Kinks before, but now they are amongst my favorite bands.
I've listened to music for about six hours a day last year, so yeah, I was quite fast. I did it in chronologic order. I think the biggest shift happened in the late 80s and early 90s, with more and more Hip-Hop coming through. You could really feel that. But also the way jazz slowly faded away, country and folk became less and less and then returned was interesting. And once the 90s were over, so was rock.
The list was lots of fun and I discovered so much music through it, a lot of which I'd probably never had listened to otherwise.
It's not perfect and a little more diversity would be nice, but overall it's a great.

Minkaro

Jesus, I'm still somewhere in the 70's. This isn't tortoise and the hair, it's more tortoise and the Bugatti Veyron or something. It's a good era though, really enjoyed 2112 by Rush, and Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder in terms of ones that are new to me. Quite a lot of the rock albums I've already heard, due to my parents listening to them.

I'm finding myself liking more of these albums than I dislike, which is nice.

I'm doing it on Spotify though, and now my Discover Weekly/Release Radar has no idea what's happening.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Stopped at 1990. Only know older albums. Beatles, Stones, hard rock ect

Suedesi

Now that I’m done with the list and have rated every album, here are those that scored 10/10 and are therefore objectively the best albums on the list:

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Kinks - Face to Face
The Doors - The Doors
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Kraftwerk - Menschmaschine
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Joy Division - Closer
Leonard Cohen - I‘m Your Man
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Rage Against The Machine - RATM
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Radiohead - The Bends
Pulp - Different Class
Nick Cave - The Boatmen‘s Call
White Stripes - Elephant
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
Great list - inspired me to write down mine

AC/DC - Back in Black
Anathema - Serenades
Amorphis - Tales from a Thousand Lakes
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
Death - Sound of Perseverance
Death - Symbolic
Deep Purple - Machine head
Depeche Mode - Violator
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Doors - The Doors
Cesaria Evora - Miss Profumado
The Eagles - Hotel California
Guns N Roses - Appetite
Guns N Roses - Use your Illusion 1&2
Iron Maiden - Number of the Best
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced?
Judas Priest - British Steel / Painkiller
Bob Marley - Legend
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Bad
Metallica - Metallica
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Nirvana - Nevermind
Opeth - Morningrise
Opeth - Orchid
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Rainbow - Rising
Rammstein - Sehnsucht
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
RHCP - Californication
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Scorpions - Blackout
Soundgarden - Superunknown
U2 - Joshua Tree
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Just going through it now but already I see on the first page that Kind of Blue is there by Miles Davis. Cannot recommend that album enough. You don't even need to be into jazz to appreciate it. Any night you're wanting to just lay back and chill and escape from whatever shit is going on then stick that album on and close your eyes and be amazed.

377 of 1,001 · 38%

Shocking that Like Water for Chocolate and Be are there for Common but Resurrection isn't. Likewise stuff like Achtung Baby and War but no Unforgettable Fire? Meat Is Murder was there too yet it's probably the worst Smiths album. I'd have their debut album over that every day and given that the list included other compilation albums it really ought to have Hatful of Hollow. Although it's entirely possible I've skimmed too fast and missed some of them :lol:

Last edited:

BD

I'm still making my way through it, listened up to about number 200 at this stage. It's been tedious at times, but good overall. Elvis was way overrated is my main takeaway

Green_Red

132 I can say are definitely in my music collection and I know all the tracks on. Heaps of others that I've heard one or two tracks from. Nice list though, plenty to listen to in spotify from that.