12 consecutive games scoring a goal or less

Infra-red

Or he could have thrown his toys out in public. Which one is better for the club?
If you're asking what is better long term for the club, covering for Woodward's failures or making it clear publicly what an incompetent twat he is, I'd have to go with the latter.

Roboc7

I doubt that was the case for Van Gaal.
LVG has no attacking game plan either, all dependent on individuals.

4 mangers who’ve played outdated, negative and defensive football completely out of touch with the modern game.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
LVG has no attacking game plan either, all dependent on individuals.

4 mangers who’ve played outdated, negative and defensive football completely out of touch with the modern game.
I'd like to see you back up that statement with some stats.

Roboc7

I'd like to see you back up that statement with some stats.
Did you never watch us under LVG and what kind of stats even exist for that. Keep it tight hope someone scores a goal that’s every manager post SAF.

izec

Our goals in the last twenty-five, 25, matches:
0, 1, 2, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 4, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1
Last 12 games' in binary.
we had a period of 8 games under van Gaal in the second season where we scored no more than 1 goal in a game, and that was the period near the end where it was basically decided he would get the sack. But we had 2 games against Pool (draw and loss), and one against City (win) and Spurs (loss) in that period, where people would expect tighter games. Even van Gaal would dispatch teams like Astana and Partizan with more than 2 goals.

And van Gaal was average as they come attacking wise here. We now have a GD of +1 in the league, it is absolutely hilarious. 9 games, 10 points, 10 scored and 9 conceded. It is absolutely dreadful.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Did you never watch us under LVG and what kind of stats even exist for that. Keep it tight hope someone scores a goal that’s every manager post SAF.
Yes I did watch Van Gaal which is why I made my initial response to begin with. I remember a lot of passing and passing and passing and a lack of goals from individual brilliance. Martial vs Liverpool and some of Memphis' against small Euro clubs only come to mind.

PoTMS

Solskjaer is like a collection of all the worst traits of the post-Fergie managers all rolled into one.

I keep remembering the video at Molde where Solskjaer is screaming at his players to shoot more. Why isn't he doing it here? We never take shots...its either Rashford hitting the stands from the corner flag or we pass sideways until everyone falls asleep.

macheda14

McKenna’s under 18s played some great attacking football, is he just not coaching the team in that manner or is Ole not utilising him enough?

vangagal

I keep remembering the video at Molde where Solskjaer is screaming at his players to shoot more. Why isn't he doing it here? We never take shots...its either Rashford hitting the stands from the corner flag or we pass sideways until everyone falls asleep.
Why should he screamed at them? It would hurt their mentality and we need to keep them all happy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I mean, who'd have thought it, get rid of a player who scores goals and don't replace him, only to then struggle to score.
Strange how anyone didn't see this coming?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I mean, who'd have thought it, get rid of a player who scores goals and don't replace him, only to then struggle to score.
We’ve got Rashford and Martial (ok the latters been injured). You’d expect us to score more than we are.

Infra-red

Plenty saw it coming. Unfortunately, Woodward and Ole weren't among them.

Champ

We’ve got Rashford and Martial (ok the latters been injured). You’d expect us to score more than we are.
Really?
Both have hit the dizzy heights of 10 and 11 goals max respectively in the premier League.
Hardly breaking records!!

AFC NimbleThumb

The summer window was a travesty. This is not an acceptable ‘rebuild’. OgS seems to think he can will ‘the United way’ out of this bunch through platitudes & inadequate coaching.

No matter how much you rate Maguire [& even AWB] spending £130mil on defenders & addressing the attack by promoting youth players who aren’t ready is malpractice.

Champ

Plenty saw it coming. Unfortunately, Woodward and Ole weren't among them.
This is true.
However there were also plenty of people who thought Lukaku was poor. Yet he'd easily be our top scorer if he was in this team right now.

Josep Dowling

No forwards or goal scorers though and our 90 million CM isn't that good so top 4 would be a stretch tbf.
He is good provided he was in a good team. I guaranteed when he does move to Real Madrid there will be a massive improvement to him. Everyone raved about him at Juventus for a reason. He’s never had 2 decent midfielders next to him at one time. Only Zlatan has been a consistently good striker since Pogba came here as well.

Its no coincidence that since he’s been injured we can’t create any chances.

edgar allan

He is good provided he was in a good team. I guaranteed when he does move to Real Madrid there will be a massive improvement to him. Everyone raved about him at Juventus for a reason. He’s never had 2 decent midfielders next to him at one time. Only Zlatan has been a consistently good striker since Pogba came here as well.

Its no coincidence that since he’s been injured we can’t create any chances.
We dont create much when he was playing either.

youngrell

We are not even creating chances for our so called poor strikers, so doubt Lukaku would be hitting any kind of heights either. He’s hardly renowned for creating his own chances.

The bigger issue is our abysmal passing ability throughout the side. The amount of poorly weighted passes and lack of risk taking passes is criminal. It also doesn’t help that nobody fecking moves off the ball, which has been a big problem since the LvG days.

There’s no urgency in anyone.

Chicharito_

Club record after club record for the past 7 years for all the wrong reasons, so sick of it.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Really?
Both have hit the dizzy heights of 10 and 11 goals max respectively in the premier League.
Hardly breaking records!!
Martial and Rashford are supposed to be top forwards but they’re proving not to be - that’s my point. Not replacing Lukaku would’ve been down to the fact we’ve got those two.

ReddBalls

we had a period of 8 games under van Gaal in the second season where we scored no more than 1 goal in a game, and that was the period near the end where it was basically decided he would get the sack. But we had 2 games against Pool (draw and loss), and one against City (win) and Spurs (loss) in that period, where people would expect tighter games. Even van Gaal would dispatch teams like Astana and Partizan with more than 2 goals.

And van Gaal was average as they come attacking wise here. We now have a GD of +1 in the league, it is absolutely hilarious. 9 games, 10 points, 10 scored and 9 conceded. It is absolutely dreadful.
Van Gaal lost to 1-2 Midtjylland and 0-4 to MK Dons.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Sheffield United are a clear example that a team can play football and be greater than the sum of it's parts by good coaching and players playing within a system they know exactly what they're doing.

We may not have great players but we have better players than Sheffield United, Norwich and Brighton. Guess what all those teams play better football and at least have a system in place.

How bad is the coaching that we can't even reach the level of clubs like these in terms of delivering team play?

Better players won't make a difference with the same sub par coaching team. We have no clue beyond winning the ball and trying to break quickly on a team, even then we pick the wrong pass most times. It's a joke to be honest.

RG 11

Van Gaal lost to 1-2 Midtjylland and 0-4 to MK Dons.
Yup. LVG's record was great against top 6 but terrible against the rest. In his second season he lost in the PL to:
  1. Swansea City (lost 2-1 away)
  2. Arsenal (lost 3-0 away)
  3. Bournemouth (lost 2-1 away)
  4. Norwich (Lost 2-1 home)
  5. Stoke City (lost 2-0 away)
  6. Southampton (lost 1-0 home)
  7. Sunderland (Lost 2-1 away)
  8. West Brom (Lost 2-1 away)
  9. West Ham (Lost 2-3 away)
The ones in bold happened in consecutive games.

Also lost to Middlesbrough on penalties in the league cup and Wolsfburg and PSV in the CL.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We just need another ball playing CB to create for us. Then we can go 3 at the back with our CBs being our playmakers

And if that doesnt work we could try playing 4 ball playing CBs
Yep, Smalling was holding this team back on playing amazing football. We just had to get rid for the love of god and outstanding build up play.

NJM78

We have only scored more than one goal on three occasions (2-1, 2-1, 4-0) in our last twenty five games!

What a shit show we are.

Greck

That shout was actually a problem. He told them to stop passing and just shoot. That dinosaur 'just shooooot near goal' mentality on full display. Common in old fashioned PL coaches with no tactical philosophy or patterns. Honestly think Ole is very basic tactically and it shows when we can't play direct and actually have to work the ball into the box

peridigm

Must be on course for some sort of club record here?

Only game so far this season, that we've managed more than a single goal was Chelsea in the season opener. Even Louis Van Gaal's 15/16 wasn't so goal dry.
Manchester United. Dropping records since 2013.

Perseus

Sheffield United are a clear example that a team can play football and be greater than the sum of it's parts by good coaching and players playing within a system they know exactly what they're doing.

We may not have great players but we have better players than Sheffield United, Norwich and Brighton. Guess what all those teams play better football and at least have a system in place.

How bad is the coaching that we can't even reach the level of clubs like these in terms of delivering team play?

Better players won't make a difference with the same sub par coaching team. We have no clue beyond winning the ball and trying to break quickly on a team, even then we pick the wrong pass most times. It's a joke to be honest.
I did not find Newcastle v Brighton or Sheff United v Arsenal any more entertaining or better football than Man Utd v Liverpool. Brighton played out of the Spurs press really well, but Spurs (v Brighton) have stagnated on a very bad day for them. Anyrate, it takes technical ability to play out of the press. I expect that is a mixture of talent plus coaching. From what I've seen Dunk is technically a better player than Maguire for starters. I can't explain Sheff United though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Our goals in the last twenty-five, 25, matches:
0, 1, 2, 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 4, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1
Last 12 games' in binary.
And some thought that buying defenders would make us score more. So silly.

Ekeke

And some thought that buying defenders would make us score more. So silly.
To be fair it was an absurd and laughable suggestion at the time, let alone in hindsight after it made no difference, or perhaps we are even attacking worse.

Having said that the people who suggested it are still maintaining that its a thing :lol:

Okey

Never mind lads. They'll score 4 (or more) on Sunday and we'll all be happy. I'm as depressed about it as the next fan, I've chosen irrational optimism as a way out.