12 months since Mourinho was sacked and we've arguably gone backwards

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A new young team? Because we add James into the starting XI? You make it sound as if a extreme overhauling was made and we are playing with youngsters.

Its not a new young team, its the same squad plus 3 new players from which 2 are consolidated internationals.

Stop justifying the failures.
How can anyone possibly dispute this is a new look and younger United team?
It’s literally impossible to argue. Yet here we are.

SAFMUTD

Yeah AWB, Tuanzebe, Williams, Mctominay, James, Rashford, Greenwood. Old bastards that have been playing together for years.
AWB its a consolidated player, thats why he cost what he cost.

McTominay and specially Rashford are youngsters but they’re not unexperienced.

Greenwood, Tuanzabe and Williams are playing part as squad players, you cant say you got a young team just because you have youngsters on the bench, most teams do.

James is the only one given, who’s inexperienced and consistently getting minutes.

But hey we have some old bastards, De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

Like I said stop making excuses for poor performance.

Sterling Archer

150 million on defense. 20 goals conceded in 17 games, all while playing defensive counter attack football.

SAFMUTD

How can anyone possibly dispute this is a new look and younger United team?
It’s literally impossible to argue. Yet here we are.
It may be younger than last season, but its not a young inexperienced team and some like to post them. Besides McTominay and Daniel James all the other starters have plenty experience.

Paul_Scholes18

There is not very much improvement at least. We have lost some good players and not improved the squad a lot. Others have got older and worse.
What is better right now is Rashford, Mctominay, James and Greenwood. Our defending and attacking as a team is equally bad.
We wasted a lot of money on Maguire who is worse than Smalling.

I think the base and position we are in is worse right now than last year. Although the overall mood is at least better, but it will decline if our results keep being bad.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It may be younger than last season, but its not a young inexperienced team and some like to post them. Besides McTominay and Daniel James all the other starters have plenty experience.
You just threw "inexperienced" in to save face. Definitely a young team. Not sure what you're on about.

TheReligion

Abusive

Greenwood, Tuanzabe and Williams are playing part as squad players, you cant say you got a young team just because you have youngsters on the bench, most teams do.

James is the only one given, who’s inexperienced and consistently getting minutes.

But hey we have some old bastards, De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

Are you on drugs? It's the only reason I can give for you talking so much dog shit.

I've made no excuses if you care to read what I wrote. The fact is the oldest outfield players in the first eleven are 26. There isn't a player over 30 in our first choice fully fit side. The average age is little over 20. The first eleven is new in the sense is not a group of players that has experience playing together. That added to the young age and managerial/coaching inexperience is going to result in inconsistencies.

The club has a direction and plan. Either get behind it or fecking do one. You take the rough with the smooth.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We've only made progress in the sense our standards are so low. Worst start to a PL season in like 30 years. Our goal difference is +6. Seeing Greenwood playing and Rashford getting a bit better isn't much different than seeing Januzai having a great season. I can see what ole is trying to do, but would we really have him here if he wasn't an ex-united player legend?

What can Ole offer as a coach that say Rodgers atm can't?

90 + 5min

Sometimes you wonder if people like you realy read what they write.

Are you on drugs? It's the only reason I can give for you talking so much dog shit.

I've made no excuses if you care to read what I wrote. The fact is the oldest outfield players in the first eleven are 26. There isn't a player over 30 in our first choice fully fit side. The average age is little over 20. The first eleven is new in the sense is not a group of players that has experience playing together. That added to the young age and managerial/coaching inexperience is going to result in inconsistencies.

The club has a direction and plan. Either get behind it or fecking do one. You take the rough with the smooth.
I wrote yesterday that I think there is generation difference how people watch and think football. Football Manager generation think they can change everything in second by clicking on "new game" or reset computer. Even in real life.

SAFMUTD

Lets end it there, are you 13 or something?no need for insults

TheReligion

Abusive
Lets end it there, are you 13 or something?no need for insults
You should end it by logging off and not bothering to log back on (until United win some silverwear again which is the most likely outcome for someone like you)

You lost me when you called a 21 year old full back a consolidation player.

SAFMUTD

You just threw "inexperienced" in to save face. Definitely a young team. Not sure what you're on about.
I point it out because its not about age really, its about experience.

You wouldnt call Mbappe a youngster and justify him as a recently debut player would you?

AndyMUFC

Are you being thick on purpose? We've won less, scored less and amassed fewer points. Incredible that a set of our fan base ignores results when they need to but will bring up certain wins here and there when it helps their baseless opinions.
Aren’t we literally one point less than we were last season? By that logic if we win next week we’ll have more points and a similar amount of goals so are suddenly going to be going forwards then? How ridiculous does the sound?

It’s not being thick. It’s looking at more than just stats that can literally change in days. Nobody is saying that this has been a good start to the season, it’s been shit, just as the one 12 months ago was, but there is 100% more to like about this current side and the way it tries to play football.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I bet you had saved this in draft and werw ready to fire last week but we won against city and spurs and you were waiting for us to drop points so that you can create a thread about it.

To your point, No we have not gone backwards. We just need more quality.
First we needed a transfer window, then a break, then a pre season, then Martial, then Pogba, then a Jan window, now more quality. What comes next?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I point it out because its not about age really, its about experience.

You wouldnt call Mbappe a youngster and justify him as a recently debut player would you?
Mbappe is a young player and nobody is talking about recently debuted players. Manchester United has one of the youngest squads in the PL. Period. I have no idea why you are making these odd distinction when the original point was if the team was young.

A new young team? Because we add James into the starting XI? You make it sound as if a extreme overhauling was made and we are playing with youngsters.

Its not a new young team, its the same squad plus 3 new players from which 2 are consolidated internationals.

Stop justifying the failures.
Just admit you were wrong and move on.

SAFMUTD

Mbappe is a young player and nobody is talking about recently debuted players. Manchester United has one of the youngest squads in the PL. Period. I have no idea why you are making these odd distinction when the original point was if the team was young.

The point is that you mention young as if it's a liability and we’re on disadvantage because of it, and being young is not a liability, being inexperienced is and we don’t have an inexperienced squad.

TheReligion

Abusive

He won't admit he's wrong despite looking ridiculously daft because it doesn't suit the agenda.

Machine Elements

It tells me you weren’t watching properly. We were awful under Mourinho. Boring, pragmatic, defensive football, without the results to justify it.
We were awful last year. And we're worse than that in terms of points and goals scored. At this rate we'll score 58 goals at the end of the season. That's what you call entertaining attacking football? We can't keep a clean sheet either after spending another £130m which is appalling.

People saying we haven't gone backwards :lol: We 100% did, not only points wise, which considering that Jose has literally sabotaged everything just to get the sack but still managed to win more points is amazing. We are worst we have been since SAF, including Moyes era but it's apparently not going backwards because we papered over the cracks with a few wins against good teams.
You're doing the football support wrong mate. You should bury your head into the sand and think everything is OK.

What would anyone have done differently? I'm just seeing a bunch of knee jerk reactions and not any actual suggestions to improvement.

The team that started today ripped Manchester City apart, you can't just go "Oh should have started x" intstead and play the biggest hindsight card ever.
Ripped apart? You make it sound like we dominated & battered them, we didn't. We defended deep and only hit them on the counter which they're vulnerable to. By that logic, Norwich & Wolves also "ripped them apart".

LJJT

We are much closer to top 4 than we where last year. We’ve no toxicity, no face scratching showing off the latest watch. Score more goals, look more threatening, younger team, brighter prospects all round in my view

Roboc7

We’re not any better and are still a defensive team that only really looks dangerous when we counter attack.

A year ago the manager was toxic, now we have a manger everyone loves but performance is almost identical.

siw2007

I don’t think we have gone backwards. I’m not sure if we have gone that much forwards but I feel Ole has stabilised the club, the air of toxicity has gone, not to be confused with feel good factor.

What we need to do now is have a strong recruitment drive over the next few transfer windows to compliment what we do have and I’m sure we will see us take big strides forwards.

redshaw

I believe our trajectory is going forwards now, we did go backwards under Ole and we were going backwards under Jose and were 11 points from top 4 this time last season. Points totals are not good without context of the current season. Just look at some top four teams over 5 years, it's up and down with accumulated points and you have to stay within in the context of the season, not go off some total from a year or two ago.

We'll see at the end. I feel we've got back to being a top 6 team that can be close to top 4 after a summer shuffle and young players growing into the roles. Under Jose we were sinking and probably would've finished 8-10th such was the disharmony.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We might have but this step is necessary to move forwards for the longer term. We couldn't have moved forwards with some of the senior players that were shipped out. We sold them, and now we have a team with so many young players. We will add atleast 4 players to this squad by the start of next season and then we should be more comfortable against these small sides.

I have accepted that there will be too much inconsistency this season because that's what defines a mature and young player. Greenwood, McTominay, James, Rashford, AWB are in that category and you can see that 4 of them are starters.

What worries me is that we aren't even being linked with any experienced player in prime or ready to enter their prime. Sancho and Haaland are again too young and I don't know how well they will handle pressure provided we sign them.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We are much closer to top 4 than we where last year. We’ve no toxicity, no face scratching showing off the latest watch. Score more goals, look more threatening, younger team, brighter prospects all round in my view
We're closer to top 4 because the quality around is shit and we can't take advantage of it. And we're worse in almost every other recordable aspect.

RUCK4444

We have not gotten rid of a lot of deadwood. Sanchez is away on loan and we're paying half his wages still. Darmian is gone, Lukaku is gone but he wasn't deadwood. Herrera is gone which hurt us and Valencia basically retired.
Sanchez is still gone regardless, he’s not the elephant in the room anymore and therefore not a distraction.

Darmian is gone, he was deadwood.

Lukaku most certainly was deadwood, not the long term answer and his last season he scored less than Rashford already has this season if I’m not mistaken.
He’s far from an elite striker.

You can’t blame Ole for Herrera, the board fecked up by not renewing however, importantly, he wanted us to match ridiculous wages he’s on now at PSG.
Too old and not good enough for that amount of money. That’s out of Ole’s hands.

All of the above had to happen, thus Ole is working with a much weaker squad in terms of depth.

Where I’m making a point in particular is midfield where we are lacking the top quality to break through low blocks.

Dante

Average bang
On the pitch, we have less guile... so yes, we have gone backwards in that regard. But the squad is much healthier and the dressing room culture is much better versed in our traditions.

I've seen people compare us to Liverpool in the 90s, but the players aren't anything like the Spice Boys of that era.

Ole has got a clear philosophy to his squad building. It's going to be painful for a little while longer, but we've been used as a holiday resort for prima donna players for too long. Erasing that funk needs time.

Matst1

Feck me... I swear the drama queens in here. It’s a feckin embarrassment.

We were a decent VAR decision away from a win today, we’ve been playing well and getting good results. A draw against a buoyed Everton side with a new manager bounce and the weak come crawling out from under their rocks in here.

We’ve gotten rid of a shed load of deadwood, have our best player out almost all season so far, playing kids - and we are still much better than when we were under Jose.
Well said

AshRK

First we needed a transfer window, then a break, then a pre season, then Martial, then Pogba, then a Jan window, now more quality. What comes next?
If football that was simple we would have been dominating by now. I am not going to say Ole is the answer to our problem, maybe he is but I will not focus too much just on results for the short term basis. Jose had his chance and he took us nowhere. Ole may also be not the answer but he will be leaving with young vibrant squad which Jose did not leave with.

LJJT

We're closer to top 4 because the quality around is shit and we can't take advantage of it. And we're worse in almost every other recordable aspect.
you can’t blame everyone else for us being closer to top 4. We are far better to watch, have far more goals or chances in us and out outlook is a million times better today than it was this time last year. I don’t know how anyone could argue otherwise but this is Redcafe

Paul_Scholes18

We are worse in terms of breaking the weaker teams down. Better against the big sides with our defensive counter attacking football.
Our squad is also very thin. We still pay crazy wages for what we get.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
People saying we haven't gone backwards :lol: We 100% did, not only points wise, which considering that Jose has literally sabotaged everything just to get the sack but still managed to win more points is amazing. We are worst we have been since SAF, including Moyes era but it's apparently not going backwards because we papered over the cracks with a few wins against good teams.
Not the dove of peace, then. There's an article in the Sunday Times listing the players involved in Jose's last few games. Read it and ask yourself do you want to be back there. I'm going to go ahead and assume you're happier to see Greenwood coming on today than Sanchez? There was a big job of work ahead of Ole. It's underway. Have a bit of perspective.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Certainly don't think we've gone backwards. The toxicity Mou left behind has finally been cleared, players people wanted out have gone, the age of our squad means it could be together for a long time to come and it's the first time in many years that I've enjoyed watching our football albeit even if it was only for a few games.

Do I think Ole and his backroom staff are good enough to be winning the PL and CL? Unfortunately I don't but to say we've gone backwards is ridiculous.

RUCK4444

2 decent results of late. We've done the same all season. A few wins followed by some shockers. Unless you're happy with draws to Sheff and Villa.
We wasn't a decent VAR decision away from a win either.
Why are you still talking about Sheff and Villa!?

This is a very young side and is feckin threadbare compared to past United sides.
Consistency was always going to be the issue, people need to look for the positive signs during this transitional period.

What were you expecting this season? Top four and samba football?
Perhaps people expected us to steamroll every team outside the top four and lose every game to the top four sides?

It’s called consistency which is very hard to achieve with such a squad as we have currently, see Chelsea.

Variable change.