19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've not heard of any training or policy in the UK which states this.
My wife works in a school, she's never been told this.
My wife trained as a primary teacher about 5 years ago. She was specifically trained to do this, and then again once she was with her school. It was quite a rough school/area and so perhaps that had something to do with it?

Zlatattack

Where do you even begin with something like this? Around the world a single event like this would change the entire nation. Whole wars have been launched because of such acts. Yet in the USA it's business as usual.

Cloud7

Love how you'll hear "arm the teachers" then also hear "don't pay teachers more"
It is ridiculous that this keeps getting floated as a solution. You don’t become a teacher to have firearms training and potentially having to shoot and kill someone tacked in as a peripheral requirement to the job.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What is specifically about schools that makes them such a massive target? It may just be my own perception that's faulty because the school shootings typically end up being the mass shootings that gain the most attention and outrage, but it does feel like they get targeted at a wildly disproportionate rate compared to other places of mass gatherings.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What is specifically about schools that makes them such a massive target? It may just be my own perception that's faulty because the school shootings typically end up being the mass shootings that gain the most attention and outrage, but it does feel like they get targeted at a wildly disproportionate rate compared to other places of mass gatherings.
Soft target with multiple clusters of people. A mass shooters dream.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't think this is an issue, moreso a news talking point. He had Kevlar on but if the armed cops shoot a man it'll still hurt a lot. It's not like the movies. Hell if they got him the leg, he'd go down
Look at the past two mass shootings of note. Both shooters were wearing Kevlar & were able to kill people after they had already been engaged by small arms fire by the police / security guard. .

Google the North Hollywood shooting. This is an extreme example, but an example nonetheless.

Drifter

American
And what will come out of all this, nothing. Biden will come out and do one of his emotional speeches, thoughts and prayers, and then nothing.

diarm

Criminals will always find a way to get illegal gun. Banning weapons and the right to bear arms and protect yourself just leaves you defence less against these shooters.

All these schools should have trained and armed security personnel. Ex military or law enforcement.

After something like this thinking we don’t need guns is absurd.

Criminals will always have access to guns, banning guns help the criminals more then the innocent.
You and everyone who thinks as you do, are responsible for the deaths of children as far as I am concerned.

The first few are the responsibility of the individuals. When it keeps happening, it becomes the responsibility of those who vote for it, who argue for it and who are happy for it to keep happening so they can continue their hobby.

You are scum and I don't care if I'm banned for saying it. The blood of those 19 children is on your hands.

OleGunnar20

Please America, for feck sakes just get rid of the guns if the decrepit republican nuts can't let go of them then deal with them as their abhorrent views deserve to be dealt with - as criminals.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's partly because it's an easy target, but then so are a lot of mass gatherings of people.

I would imagine it also has to do with the profile and motivation of the shooters. Very often they seem to be people who are at or just beyond school age themselves. As such schools are the societal institution they are most familiar with and the most obvious target if they're looking for such an institution to lash out against. Also in cases where feelings of having been bullied, persecuted or insufficiently appreciated are a motivation a lot of those feelings will likely be centred around their experience in schools. Also there may simply be something of a copy-cat effect, as in people opting to target schools because of the history of people in their position targeting schools. If you becomes a school shooter you're placing yourself in the lineage of other notorious school shooters.

Moby

Dick
Also there may simply be something of a copy-cat effect,
It's mainly this. Initially it started out as a soft target one that would generate the most outrage, but most importantly one where there will be least amount of resistance. Since then it has like other terrorist activities become a template attack. These people are the biggest cowards one can possibly imagine.

Jack-C20

Can anyone point me in the direction of articles based on instances where mass shootings were prevented by gun wielding civilians? Does it actually happen? Or is that argument as ridiculous as it sounds?

Denis79

It's mainly this. Initially it started out as a soft target one that would generate the most outrage, but most importantly one where there will be least amount of resistance. Since then it has like other terrorist activities become a template attack. These people are the biggest cowards one can possibly imagine.
Imagine how fecking sick in the head you have to be to do something like this?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Criminals will always find a way to get illegal gun. Banning weapons and the right to bear arms and protect yourself just leaves you defence less against these shooters.

All these schools should have trained and armed security personnel. Ex military or law enforcement.

Criminals will always have access to guns, banning guns help the criminals more then the innocent.

That's absolute bollocks. Criminals mainly shoot each other, they don't care about YOU. They certainly don't walk in to schools or churches or supermarkets and shoot innocent people for no reason. You have the nerve to say wanting no guns is absurd yet your argument has been debunked so many times.

Stop using a bullshit justification to own guns. Nowhere else in the world has this problem and countries that did have it banned guns and the problem was solved. The problem is simple and your attitude is part of it. At least have the balls.to admit it. You are made to live in fear. That's what your post said. You are afraid so you own guns. That's very, very sad.

Kids are dying at school ffs and your answer is more guns in school. JFC.

Just admit you like guns and your right to own a gun is more important than a kids right to go to school and learn without getting shot. Or someone going to a strore or a cinema or Church.

Last edited:

rpitchfo

For that argument to apply so absolutely you'd have to assume that getting a gun illegally is as easy as getting one legally, wouldn't you? I'm sure a lot of people could get a gun either way, but others wouldn't. The latest shooter waited until his 18th birthday before he could buy one legally. Is it really a foregone conclusion to say better gun control would not have prevented this?
so better gun control would reduce risk, yes. But not in any material way in the short term. The point being you could introduce gun control but still end up having ALOT of school shootings still (because so many guns are already in circulation)

context is important. When prevalence is high you have to remove guns not just stem flow in. If your objective is to stop school shootings altogether. If you want to see school shootings slowly start going down then yes it’s a starting point.

Moby

Dick
Imagine how fecking sick in the head you have to be to do something like this?
It's fecking unimaginable. Even actual criminals in organized crime groups or whatever generally wouldn't target innocent civilians ;let alone kids and they are actually conditioned to kill in cold blood. This type of a deranged human being used to come up once in a long long time in the form of a sick serial killer or something but to see it regularly is alarming just on the basis of multiple young aged individuals, regardless of whatever mental situation they are in, thinking doing this type of attack in particular is ok.

I actually don't really know or can think of a particular underlying reason for this kinda motivation, maybe people living over there can think of something specific. I mean, even actual terrorists are brainwashed and radicalized over ages and ages and then act usually in a politically motivated attack. Not someone who was living in a normal part of the country without that kind of influence doing this. (this is probably where I am missing something and they are indeed constantly influenced by such internal groups?)

diarm

Surely there are way more students than officers?
There are but that really shouldn't be relevant.

The number of children who should be shot at school each year is zero. Just as it is in pretty much every other country on earth.

slyadams

That's absolute bollocks. Criminals mainly shoot each other, they don't care about YOU. They certainly don't walk in to.schos or churches or supermarkets and shoot innocent people for no reason. You have the nerve to say wanting no guns is absurd yet your argument has been debunked so many times.

Stop using a bullshit justification to own guns. Nowhere else in the world has this problem and countries that did have it banned guns and the problem was solved. The problem is simple and your attitude is part of it. At least have the balls.to admit it. You are made to live in fear. That's what your post said. You are afraid so you own guns. That's very, very sad.

Kids are dying at school ffs and your answer is more guns in school. JFC.

Just admit you like guns and your right to own a gun is more important than a kids right to go to school and learn without getting shot. Or someone going to a strore or a cinema or Church.
I've had this argument with my gun loving cousin in Florida. He owns about 6 rifles and god knows how many pistols. I've basically told him "you value your ego more than your country's children's safety".

Danny

It’d imagine it would be more difficult to get your hands on a gun or that type illegally than if you could just walk up to a counter and purchase one. It would prevent some 18 year old who had issues from carrying this out.

RedDevilQuebecois

I have read a lot of things on forums and social media over the years, but this has to be one of the most stupid things I've read in my internet life.

Do you know how many criminals would have a hell lot of a harder time finding and buying a gun if the process of getting one is more difficult or if laws are harsher on illegal use/ownership of a firearm? How many people would honestly still want to carry out a mass shooting if it's nearly impossible to acquire a firearm legally, if you have zero connections with the underground world, and if you can get locked for (let's say 15) years for committing a crime with a gun? Regardless, criminals in organized crime groups often follow a code of conduct that often demands avoiding needless casualties. People who are into mass shootings would not even meet the criteria to become a gangster with the rules required to follow.

Do you honestly believe the ex-cop in Buffalo stood a chance against the shooter? I'm not a weapons expert, but I've read enough to know that 9 mm rounds don't do much damage against body armor bar a lucky shot while the other person is firing military-grade 5.56 mm rounds. That incident should have shattered the myth of the good guy with a gun by now.

Many people among us believe that US cops are doing a lousy job at killing civilians on the line of duty with guns. In a first-tier society, only highly trained SFOs and counter-terrorism units should be authorized to carry firearms while the regular grunt in blue would not need a gun on the job. Why are the US in the shit with trigger-happy cops? It's because of that weird fetichism for guns for too many, especially people who are not mentally fit enough to carry a gun.

If the right to own a firearm matters more to you than the right for children to live and learn in a safe environment, then don't bother replying because I take your comment as an insult.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bless him. Love this man. His words and emotions are precisely what a lot of us feel about this and he has never shied away from, and it feels weird to even call it this, sensitive political issues, but that's what this clearly is.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
God America is such a shithole.

For all its downpoints and whatnot i'm glad I grew up in England.

Helder-Carvalho

They had a mass shooting in England many years ago, they banned guns, no more mass shootings, your theory is batshit crazy

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Look at the past two mass shootings of note. Both shooters were wearing Kevlar & were able to kill people after they had already been engaged by small arms fire by the police / security guard. .

Google the North Hollywood shooting. This is an extreme example, but an example nonetheless.
I know but I always thought just aim for the legs.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Just more evidence of America's issues, which they appear to be quiet happy to let occur again and again. I feel sorry for the victims, but I really have been desensitised from these sort of stories coming from there.

Pintu

Why is ”Gun control” so hard.

We hear the same obvious things repeated over and over again, but they never seem to act. What’s blocking a serious US-wide legislation?

dal

Kids killing kids. A lot of people in this thread having a go at america, it occurs to frequently in the UK to however in a different way, a lot goes unreported. Happens across the world too very frequently.

It seems to me as whenever it happens in America its blown up across world media with a kill count and everything else. Very strange.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

We hear the same obvious things repeated over and over again, but they never seem to act. What’s blocking a serious US-wide legislation?
Because the NRA spends a lot of money on buying politicians who value that money higher, than the lives of children. It’s really just that simple.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Kids killing kids. A lot of people in this thread having a go at america, it occurs to frequently in the UK to however in a different way, a lot goes unreported.

It seems to me as whenever it happens in America its blown up across world media with a kill count and everything else. Very strange.
It goes unreported but you know about it? Seems believable.

Mike Smalling

It's so easy to point the finger at the NRA and Republican senators, but in reality it is the tens of millions of Americans that fanatically support gun rights that are the reason this continues to happen. They are the ones who fund the NRA and gun industry with membership and gun purchases and re-elect the senators who refuse to do something. The NRA are despicable, but they are doing exactly what you would expect from an advocacy group - their power won't be limited unless their support is limited.