19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Australia had a mass school shooting, took all guns, and guess what they didn't have any mass school shootings afterwards. But I guess Australia isn't USA so it won't work.
A shooting happened in Scotland at a school many years ago. The UK changed the law and there hasn’t been a school shooting since.

America is a cult.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say NRA lobbying and gun industry being a billions dollar business makes it really hard to stop.
What’s the answer? They seem to be in an incredibly strong position as long as they find people in media/politics they can buy to influence people.

reelworld

What’s the answer? They seem to be in an incredibly strong position as long as they find people in media/politics they can buy to influence people.
I don't know man.

I'm not American, so I don't know how this works, but if you can voted out Mitch McConnell and those who received NRA donations that probably a start.

RedDevil@84

I'd say NRA lobbying and gun industry being a billions dollar business makes it really hard to stop.
People live under this delusion of "freedom" while gun industry, insurance industry and pharma industry control the lives of most of the population through media and political control.

The gun owners and the populace have been brainwashed to think freedom and rights guaranteed by the constitution means the ability to buy assault rifles like candies from a store.

In the end if people don't come forward and force the politicians to make gun control the topic to vote for, then nothing will change. The politicians dont care. Most of their kids are safe. And even if they aren't they wouldn't look past the money that the lobbyists have.

RedDevilQuebecois

An 18 year old should not be able to buy assault weapons. That's where I'm at.
And if I may add to that, I say no one should be able to own a gun unless they pass a strong proficiency test like it's done for driving a car. After that, regular assessments on mental and physical fitness for gun ownership should be mandatory every X years.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
People live under this delusion of "freedom" while gun industry, insurance industry and pharma industry control the lives of most of the population through media and political control.

The gun owners and the populace have been brainwashed to think freedom and rights guaranteed by the constitution means the ability to buy assault rifles like candies from a store.

In the end if people don't come forward and force the politicians to make gun control the topic to vote for, then nothing will change. The politicians dont care. Most of their kids are safe. And even if they aren't they wouldn't look past the money that the lobbyists have.
Imagine being hit with a double whammy of surviving a gun attack then being crippled by medical bills. America really is a shithole.

frostbite

Edit:
Sorry i was upset. I am blaming the republican voters for the repeated massacres. There is no rational reason that we don't have strict gun control laws.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As a Brit living in the UK with zero gun crime all I can say is that your opinion is alien to us. It's just bat shit crazy. America is a lost cause ultimately, it will require a President to have lived through their own trauma of losing a child to gun crime to change anything and even then it will be small, tiny steps.
This shit only happens in USA and it's senseless to argue that the solution to this is more guns? I feel pretty safe without having a gun and if I was with my family in the middle of a shooting my first thought wouldn't be to gun down someone, like wtf is wrong with people. Even then there's really no need for a regular person to buy a damn assault rifle.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is why I wanted a job in Europe - got rejected from there, so I'll be in the US. Ironically, an hour after I signed the letter (job is at NYU), the subway shooting happened. Nice reminder.

US gun policy is insane. I've lived ~23 years in India and 1 year in China, and never thought much about getting shot. (Yes, that's because I'm lucky enough not to be in a situation with Indian/Chinese police, but that is true of a lot of people in both countries). 7 years in the US and that thought does exist, and comes up at random times - telling my (college) students about the strategy for a mass shooter was quite something.

With that out of the way - I don't think the problem for school shootings is only or maybe even primarily the availability of guns. If you compare the Mexican school shooting list here, you see someone getting in a fight with one classmate and shooting them, extortion killings, targeted assassinations, and accidental firings - things you'd expect in a place with a lot of guns and high crime. But there's only 2 incidents where someone went into their school and started spraying.

That seems to be mostly a US thing. It has to be some combination of untreated mental issues, alienation, militarism - something about the culture that is different. In fact the only country with anything similar is China's mass-stabbing incidents in and around schools, starting in 2010. Of course there are differences too, it's not at the same frequency as the US, the lack of guns makes it less deadly, and most of the perpetrators are adults not students.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia had a mass school shooting, took all guns, and guess what they didn't have any mass school shootings afterwards. But I guess Australia isn't USA so it won't work.
To be fair we didn't take all guns. Lots of them and the semi-autos and handguns in particular, but far from all. Still made a huge difference.

RedDevil@84

They take away someone’s right to bear arms and then what? Freedom of speech or more?
This type of nonsensical hyperbole is the main reason why US has reached this stage. Guns are instruments made for murder. Assault rifles and bigger guns are instruments made for murdering in bigger numbers. That is their primary purpose. Regardless of what Hollywood shows, it is not something you point at a person and then go one a monologue.
Comparing restriction of guns in society to something like freedom of speech is absurd.

If someone decided tomorrow they want to go kill 15 people they will do it with or without a gun.
These kind of arguments are pointless. Guns are designed to kill from a distance. And making it freely available, while weakening laws that try to prevent guns from ending up in hands of every tom dick and harry, is just inviting mass murders to happen.

InfiniteBoredom

To be fair we didn't take all guns. Lots of them and the semi-autos and handguns in particular, but far from all. Still made a huge difference.
There are more private legally owned guns now in Australia than before Port Arthur.

That breather of the confiscation/buy back scheme made it much easier to streamline and regulate gun ownership.

Jericholyte2

What we need is a change of discourse, a change in the language used.

Whenever there’s a shooting like this, every news outlet need to change the headline from “Shooter kills 21” to “Shooter performs 21 post-birth abortions”

Guns would be outlawed at the snap of Republicans’ fingers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The sad and ironic part of all this is that I bet more than half of the families affected are probably gun owners themselves.

The real test is whether they would dispose of their guns today or will they double down on their resolve to 'protect' themselves. That will tell us whether America will ever solve the gun problem.

Moby

Dick
The sad and ironic part of all this is that I bet more than half of the families affected are probably gun owners themselves.

The real test is whether they would dispose of their guns today or will they double down on their resolve to 'protect' themselves. That will tell us whether America will ever solve the gun problem.
What they need to be told is guns don't protect anyone. Some of this lot is fecking stuck in the cowboy age of mexican standoffs and unable to understand how things have moved on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still bought two semi automatic weapons legally.
Feck you America.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You allow people to buy equipment for the battlefield on your doorstep(guns, ammo armour),
you have to expect for the battlefield to be raging on your doorstep.

Insane that this is still able to happen.

Feel for everyone of the parents and kids involved.

pauldyson1uk

I went to bed last night just hearing about this, only said kids had been taken to hospital.
This morning I read that so many have died, it is shocking and just fecking wrong , what is wrong with people , what is wrong with a country that lets this happen , multiple times.

Judas

Open to offers
I genuinely don't know how you fix such a broken delusional and quite simply backwards country like America. It's astonishing that no matter what happens there, some still believe there isn't a problem, or that the problem, isn't the obvious problem.

It's heartbreaking how normal this all feels, and I'm thankful I don't live there.

Adisa

The truth is that Republicans are single issue voters. Democrats are not.
Republicans care a lot more about anti abirtion/gun rights than the democrats do about those topics. Thats why the topics don't matter at the ballot boxes for Dem candidates. Guns are a constant topic republicans, any republican candidate that does not exposue their love for guns has very little chance of winning. Dems only discuss guns after a mass shooting. Within a few weeks it's another topic.
Until dem voters make gun control a single issue, their elected leaders will not fight for it.

Last edited:

Dan_F

I 100% agree with your first paragraph.

As for the last one it’s never that thought out, it’s all a reaction and these guys aren’t doing research on what people at shop rite do or don’t carry a gun.

All I’m saying is if a gunman was shooting a mall up and he was 50 feet away from you and your family your going to wish you had a gun and knew how to use it.

As you said, 1000% their should be stricter laws on being able to acquire guns but banning them out right is just stupid.
You said in a post above that if someone wanted to kill 15 people they will find a way to do it regardless. Now you’ve said it’s not thought out and it’s all a reaction.

What method of killing 15 people can someone just go out and do without any preparation, like they can with a gun?

Moby

Dick
The truth is that Republicans are single issue voters. Democrats are not.
Republicans care a lot more about anti abirtion/gun rights than the democrats do about those topics. Thats why the topics don't matter at the ballot boxes for Dem candidates. Guns are a constant topic republicans, any republican candidate that does not exposue hia love for guns has very little chance of winning. Dems only discuss guns after a mass shooting. Within a few weeks it's another topic.
Until dem voters make gun control a single issue, their elected leaders will not fight for it.
Pretty much. In the other thread we were discussing cnuts like these actually running with that slogan:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Pretty much. In the other thread we were discussing cnuts like these actually running with that slogan:

So wrong.
I bet she doesn’t believe in 1/2 of that but she knows she’s dealing with an unsophisticated populace so she’s counting on that to bring her home. Stupid feckin Americans.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Fox News take of course...

We shouldn''t be politicizing this story and blaming guns or the gun lobby. Instead we should be looking at securing every school in the US. Get retired security/law enforcement personnel to work voluntarily part time in the schools as security guards and give them tax breaks as compensation......oh and course we need to arm them!

Fecking morons!!

America really is fecked!

Adisa

Exactly what I was saying. Her audience are single issue voters. She doesn't need a fancy political strategy.
  • I am Christian
  • I love guns
  • I hate abortion
"Vote for me".
Nothing else matters. It's a dumb, unsophisticated way of running a country and doing politics but it means that on those issues, their representatives will fight a lot harder than the other side who need a massive/complex political and economic strategy to win.

Adisa

History has shown they will not dispose of their guns and will rarionalise it differently.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Too left is a proven and too right is equally a problem, both who are too far on each side are dumbasses.

Find a balance, that’s where I’m at .
The only country on Earth where your approach could be considered 'balanced' is the US. In the rest of the world you are the extreme one ('the dumbass').

Last edited:

Baxter

‘Arm the teachers’ seems fecking mental to me too.

Do teachers want to potentially take a live? Would they go into teaching knowing that they are expected to put their life on the line to protect students? What if the teacher snaps leaving them in a closed classroom with a gun?

Just a ridiculous suggestion that’s wheeled out every time there is a school shooting.

From the tweet above -

Putting kids through that!

slyadams

My point is the guy who wants the gun will still get it…criminals have illegal guns all the time. So if someone wanted to do it they would have a gun and you would just sit and watch as you mowed down.
What you’re doing here is arguing against the existence of any law. Why have laws against murder because people will still kill each other? Why have speeding laws because people will still speed?

You can argue the same in the UK, a criminal could get a gun so everyone should be able to have one to protect themselves. And yet in my 40 years I’ve never come close to needing one and no one I know has. I have pro-gun family
In Florida and Texas and the same holds true. So it’s really an asinine argument supported only by fear and an over active imagination.