19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

nimic

something nice
Scout
The more I hear about the way American schools operate, what teachers have to do and endure, the more I am convinced it has almost no connection to my profession here. I can't imagine I'd be a teacher if I moved there, no chance.

arnie_ni

Seen a brilliant comeback to someone blaming it on a transgender with mental health issues.... "will you vote for universal health care so everyone has access to mental health professionals?"

So far to reply

Withnail

‘Arm the teachers’ seems fecking mental to me too.

Do teachers want to potentially take a live? Would they go into teaching knowing that they are expected to put their life on the line to protect students? What if the teacher snaps leaving them in a closed classroom with a gun?

Just a ridiculous suggestion that’s wheeled out every time there is a school shooting.

From the tweet above -

Putting kids through that!

They would rather traumatise a whole generation than implement the tiniest bit of gun control. How many of these kids are going to have emotional/mental health problems later in life over this type of thing. It really is incomprehensible.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Just cause you haven’t been invaded yet does not mean it won’t happen. Let me remind you of 1942.
Well if it came to a deterrent to Russia (or anyone else), I'd suggest that thousands of nuclear warheads + NATO membership outweighs Billy the Hick and his brothers with their 2nd Amendment guns and 400 rounds of ammunition.

But at least you've moved your 'argument' from the 18th century to 1942. Only another 80 years to go.

There's always stupid stances on Redcafe but given the context here, I thinks yours takes the year's top prize.

arnie_ni

If something were to happen at one of these events maybe that would change minds...

Oh feck it, who am I kidding. Republicans and ammo-sexuals would carry on.
That'd be the worst thing to happen because you just know they'd kill the shooter before they get to kill anyone and they'd have an I told you so moment. More guns is the answer, yada yada yada

rpitchfo

As has already been pointed out prevalence of guns is key. It is an objective undeniable fact that high prevalence leads to a greater risk of this tradegy. America is in its own morbid version of a random control trial.

gun control would not work to reduce any material risk in the short term because there is too many guns.

uk gun control worked after dunblaine due to low prevalence as a starting point.

in Australia gun confiscation was required to immediately reduce prevalence to reduce risk dramatically.

language is important. Prevalence is key. Only an action of legislation that massively reduces that will work. Ted Cruz is right, gun control won’t work. Only confiscation.

Mike Smalling

Well said. Worth remembering his own father was killed by a gunman, when he was young, so this is probably personal to him even if it didn't happen in the US.

His point about politicians simply wanting to stay in power is spot on. Most of these senior Republicans like Cocaine Mitch and Cancun Cruz probably couldn't give a shit about gun rights, and you certainly won't see them on the range. They just know how to pander to their base and their donors.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If America didn't have the military it had, other country would consider invading them to stop this kind of shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Criminals will always find a way to get illegal gun. Banning weapons and the right to bear arms and protect yourself just leaves you defence less against these shooters.

All these schools should have trained and armed security personnel. Ex military or law enforcement.

After something like this thinking we don’t need guns is absurd.

Criminals will always have access to guns, banning guns help the criminals more then the innocent.
Baffling how people can still think this. When has a ‘good guy with a gun’ ever actually stopped one of these? There was a trained security guard at the Buffalo shooting and he was killed just as easily as everyone else.

Sara125

That’s your opinion, one of the mains purposes of that right is so your country could not be overtaken by another military I.E Ukrainian and Russia situation.

Even with UKs ban of guns in 97 homicide rates still went up.

As I said laws don’t apply to criminals, and thinking that this would not happen again if they banned guns is in itself…ignorant
Google how many school shootings have happened in the UK after this very act as a a response to Dunblane

TheGame

It's farcical that America is relying on the line 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.' which was dated in the late 1700s and was based on the English Bill of Rights from the late 1600s. I mean how backwards can you get. The line doesn't even make sense anymore. I'm surprised America isn't mocked more for this. This should have been called out ages ago and politicians should have been more braver in trying to tackle the issue of gun control. But nothing will happen after this tragedy and there will be another one and another one because some politicians don't care and only care about their base and getting elected.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Things like this are why I hate that I check the caf every morning when I wake up. So sad. :(

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There are more private legally owned guns now in Australia than before Port Arthur.

That breather of the confiscation/buy back scheme made it much easier to streamline and regulate gun ownership.
Yes, but different guns as handgun and semi-autos are very hard to own, but still more. And an outright ban would be great.

slyadams

Seen a brilliant comeback to someone blaming it on a transgender with mental health issues.... "will you vote for universal health care so everyone has access to mental health professionals?"

So far to reply
This is the irony of course. “We need to treat mental health properly” when those most at risk cannot remotely afford it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Criminals will always find a way to get illegal gun. Banning weapons and the right to bear arms and protect yourself just leaves you defence less against these shooters.

All these schools should have trained and armed security personnel. Ex military or law enforcement.

After something like this thinking we don’t need guns is absurd.

Criminals will always have access to guns, banning guns help the criminals more then the innocent.
Like there's never been incidents of these people shooting innocent bystanders, PoC or just generally going on a shooting spree themselves.

This is the most simple, comic book thinking thinking (good Vs evil) that I'm not surprised it has taken hold in America, a country where the education system doesn't crack the top thirty.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

That’s your opinion, one of the mains purposes of that right is so your country could not be overtaken by another military I.E Ukrainian and Russia situation.

Even with UKs ban of guns in 97 homicide rates still went up.

As I said laws don’t apply to criminals, and thinking that this would not happen again if they banned guns is in itself…ignorant
Who on earth is invading the USA?!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

That’s another thing that shouldn’t be sold to the general public - Kevlar anything. There’s just no need for it.
I don't think this is an issue, moreso a news talking point. He had Kevlar on but if the armed cops shoot a man it'll still hurt a lot. It's not like the movies. Hell if they got him the leg, he'd go down

Relfy

It's terrible how everyone is numb to this and expects to read about the next mass shooting on a daily basis. I heard on the telly this morning that there had been more mass shootings than actual days in 2022 thus far. It's incomprehensible to me. How can any modern country endorse the ownership of guns to this level and permit the purchase of military grade equipment (I must admit I am unaware of the guns used in this current shooting)?

I don't know how America fixes this. They're probably past the point of no return, the country is flooded with arms, and an amnesty won't work top the desired effect, I wouldn't imagine. Maybe that line is defeatist, as this can't be allowed to keep happening, but how this can be done and enforced is difficult.

For the self proclaimed greatest country in world, there is not a hope in hell I would ever want to live there and become a part of their system, or worse still, send my kids to their schools.

Revan

Assumptionman
My point is the guy who wants the gun will still get it…criminals have illegal guns all the time. So if someone wanted to do it they would have a gun and you would just sit and watch as you mowed down.
If I want to get a gun right now and go kill 20 people, I would have no idea to even start. Where do I get an illegal gun, with whom should I talk to get one, and it will probably cost a shitload. In case of big guns like AR-15, it would be close to impossible to get one.

If I want to do the same in the US, I would go to Walmart, buy it and then start killing people.

Reactions: Wibble

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As has already been pointed out prevalence of guns is key. It is an objective undeniable fact that high prevalence leads to a greater risk of this tradegy. America is in its own morbid version of a random control trial.

gun control would not work to reduce any material risk in the short term because there is too many guns.

uk gun control worked after dunblaine due to low prevalence as a starting point.

in Australia gun confiscation was required to immediately reduce prevalence to reduce risk dramatically.

language is important. Prevalence is key. Only an action of legislation that massively reduces that will work. Ted Cruz is right, gun control won’t work. Only confiscation.
For that argument to apply so absolutely you'd have to assume that getting a gun illegally is as easy as getting one legally, wouldn't you? I'm sure a lot of people could get a gun either way, but others wouldn't. The latest shooter waited until his 18th birthday before he could buy one legally. Is it really a foregone conclusion to say better gun control would not have prevented this?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Read the comments and be amazed that this is America
To be fair they are trained to do this in the UK too. There's just a smaller chance of needing to do it, and a smaller chance of it being because someone has entered with a gun.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Google how many school shootings have happened in the UK after this very act as a a response to Dunblane
And he/she can also Google gun murders.

A quick search says we had 30 in 2020, America had over 14,000.

People who try to justify it are part of the problem.

Then you remember that some of the politicians who back the 2nd Amendment use the sanctity of life to explain their anti abortion stance (regardless of circumstances) and you have to laugh? Or cry.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I know there’s a generic thread but this probably deserves its own. Heartbreaking. Feck the US.

Sometimes you become numb to these numbers, but this is more people than who have been killed by all the missile strikes on Lviv by Russia so far.

RoyH1

I will never understand the US. The country with many of the brightest minds and that leads so much of the technological/scientific/economic of the world is also half populated by people who have an outlook of life similar to that of a medieval warlord.