19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Kids killing kids. A lot of people in this thread having a go at america, it occurs to frequently in the UK to however in a different way, a lot goes unreported. Happens across the world too very frequently.

It seems to me as whenever it happens in America its blown up across world media with a kill count and everything else. Very strange.
Please explain the frequency of mass shootings in the UK that we are all unaware of?

Denis79

It's fecking unimaginable. Even actual criminals in organized crime groups or whatever generally wouldn't target innocent civilians ;let alone kids and they are actually conditioned to kill in cold blood. This type of a deranged human being used to come up once in a long long time in the form of a sick serial killer or something but to see it regularly is alarming just on the basis of multiple young aged individuals, regardless of whatever mental situation they are in, thinking doing this type of attack in particular is ok.

maybe people living over there can think of something specific. I mean, even actual terrorists are brainwashed and radicalized over ages and ages and then act usually in a politically motivated attack. Not someone who was living in a normal part of the country without that kind of influence doing this. (this is probably where I am missing something and they are indeed constantly influenced by such internal groups?)
I don't live there either so I would be talking through my ass but there is something seriously wrong over there. It's not just the shootings, you have the abortion stuff going on, police violence, extreme problems with racism, whole country is essentially divided in two camps. They need a cultural reset not just new laws.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Kids killing kids. A lot of people in this thread having a go at america, it occurs to frequently in the UK to however in a different way, a lot goes unreported. Happens across the world too very frequently.

It seems to me as whenever it happens in America its blown up across world media with a kill count and everything else. Very strange.
Because America likes to be the moral arbiter of the world.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
In 12 months time there will be a new thread about something just like this.
More like 12 days. If this was happening only once a year, it would be a huge step in the right direction for the US.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Hear hear. There's been over 10 mass shootings just this week in my old school in London and it's so common in the UK that the msm hasn't even bothered to report on it this time.

Mike Smalling

Exactly. In other countries kids just use pool cues, cricket bats and battle axes to slaughter their classmates. The relative number of casualties is the same, but the lamestream media would have you believe that the guns are the problem.

diarm

Find one example of a kid walking into a UK school and shooting it up in the last 20 years.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Baffling how people can still think this. When has a ‘good guy with a gun’ ever actually stopped one of these? There was a trained security guard at the Buffalo shooting and he was killed just as easily as everyone else.
I did see one where some dude in a church nailed the baddy proper quick.

But guns are a stupid idea for the general public. Military only, even US cops wouldn't need them as much as they do if the public didn't have such easy access. Too kinda late now as too many guns in public hands already.

CraftySoAndSo

What the feck are you on about, when was the last mass shooting in the UK.

FriedClams

Often we see figures in the media share their stance on something for the power of endorsement (think Hilary with Jay Z and Beyoncé) but Steve Kerr going off here is exactly the way people of status should use their audience reach. He came across so well in the last dance, and have only ever been impressed with anything he’s said or done.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Please elaborate

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Criminals mainly shoot each other, they don't care about YOU.
I think this is key. "Professional criminals" (e.g. cartels, mafia etc.) will likely still get guns as they operate in and have access to black markets. But unless you engage in criminal activities yourself, they are no real direct threat. The threat are "law abiding citizens" that suddenly stop being all that law abiding and grab a gun, e.g. your disgruntled colleague who goes on a shooting spree in the office, the guy who you cut off on the street who turns to his gun in road rage, your girlfriend's jealous ex, and of course all these teenagers/young adults and others with mental issues and/or dangerous ideologies. You want to make it difficult for them to have quick access to a gun.

FriedClams

As far as I am aware, the main reason Americans want to carry guns is for protection? By every available metric and form of analysis, isn’t it a statistical certainty that everyone in the country will be safer if they Ban guns?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
America is too far gone and too divided. Nothing will happen, the place is fecked. All identical arguments we have seen ever since columbine over 20 years ago and we will still see same in 20 years from now

The NRA are a disgrace but american people have such a gun culture and unwavering support of a bunch of laws written a couple of hundred years ago, its just not going to change

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
As far as I am aware, the main reason Americans want to carry guns is for protection? By every available metric and form of analysis, isn’t it a statistical certainty that everyone in the country will be safer if they Ban guns?
If a democrat ever suggests an all out gun ban, they are finished. The best they can possibly suggest is more control on who can obtain a gun. And even that just wont happen

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Being charitable, maybe a reference to knife crime? Obviously not the same scenario at all but vaguely relevant to what they seem to be claiming.
No need to be charitable with someone obviously pulling lies out of their ass.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Baffling how people can still think this. When has a ‘good guy with a gun’ ever actually stopped one of these? There was a trained security guard at the Buffalo shooting and he was killed just as easily as everyone else.
There was a robbery in in a supermarket a few years ago where the robbers ran out of the store with several expensive items. A middle-aged lady spotted them as she was making her way from her car to the store, and since she had a gun in her purse she thought she should play the hero, confront these thieves and save the day. Unfortunately she was as untrained with a gun as you would expect (and even if she was trained, a gun training course is obviously no substitute to an active real life situation) and you can guess what happened next - the thieves got away and she accidentally shot random bystanders in the car park.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I know but they're wearing Kevlar, still hurts when shot. Like it's not like RoboCop, can still put you down. Likelihood is the responders missed.
Buffalo shooter was shot in Kevlar, continued his rampage.

Google North Hollywood bank shooting. Watch the video of it.

The impact on Kevlar might break a rib at most. I’ve played in goal with a cracked rib in college.

It seems you might be the one thinking in fantastical terms.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's so easy to point the finger at the NRA and Republican senators, but in reality it is the tens of millions of Americans that fanatically support gun rights that are the reason this continues to happen. They are the ones who fund the NRA and gun industry with membership and gun purchases and re-elect the senators who refuse to do something. The NRA are despicable, but they are doing exactly what you would expect from an advocacy group - their power won't be limited unless their support is limited.
Yet most polls suggests that the vast majority of the US population do want some form of gun control, whether it background checks or a ban on the type of guns one can purchase over the counter. A couple of years ago this Texas govenor was lamenting the fact that Texas were 'only second' in the number of guns purchases list and encouraged his people to buy more. He has since loosened restrictions on guns, as if that was even possible, and then he goes and sits in a press conference talking about 'how could this have happened?'.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I did see one where some dude in a church nailed the baddy proper quick.

But guns are a stupid idea for the general public. Military only, even US cops wouldn't need them as much as they do if the public didn't have such easy access. Too kinda late now as too many guns in public hands already.
Happened roughly a hundred miles from Uvalde.

Carolina Red

Staff

Read the comments and be amazed that this is America
^ that tweet is true. We also have to tell our students that that will happen, so that they know to keep running to an exit / hiding place.

The replies are also all legit. We do this stuff in drills with the kids every year.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Haven’t been keeping up with the thread. What’s the motivation for the killer? My gut tells me he’s another one of these incels who spends way too much time on 4chan and the like, but does anyone know for certain?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Christ, that’s beyond grim.
Hi kids. Today we learn about the letter E and how we won’t let you back inside the classroom, when a maniac with a gun starts shooting you and your friends.
I honestly don’t understand how one can live in that country without going crazy.

Carolina Red

Staff
Christ, that’s beyond grim.
I also tell all of my classes to never be the first class into the hallway when a fire alarm goes off. “Always wait until you see me start walking towards the classroom door. The fire isn’t moving as fast as a shooter will.”

There’s nothing I can do for other classes on the hallway, but I can make sure mine might not make it into the hallway with a Marjorie Stoneman Douglas copycat.

Charlie Foley

I also tell all of my classes to never be the first class into the hallway when a fire alarm goes off. “Always wait until you see me start walking towards the classroom door. The fire isn’t moving as fast as a shooter will.”

There’s nothing I can do for other classes on the hallway, but I can make sure mine might not make it into the hallway with a Marjorie Stoneman Douglas copycat.
feck

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
^ that tweet is true. We also have to tell our students that that will happen, so that they know to keep running to an exit / hiding place.

The replies are also all legit. We do this stuff in drills with the kids every year.
My heart sinks reading this. I suspect this sort of data is hard to find but I wonder how often a child has tried to get into a classroom for shelter, find the room locked and then end up being killed. I can't bear the thought of being a child or parent in that situation. What a heartbreaking scenario, and the pain and trauma inflicted on the teacher is also unimaginable.