19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

RedDevilQuebecois

For those who might not know, that’s the democrat running for governor…

"Assholes like you."

How about you look at yourself first, Mason Verger? Greg Abbott is as despicable as the character from Hannibal.

Very well played from Beto. He went for the jugular and exposed the kind of cowards and assholes the Texas Republican Party is in a matter of seconds.

Carolina Red

Staff
not sure what the point of this is. I've stated multiple times I was giving an example of eo as a means to stricter gun control measures.
You weren’t. You clearly believed he could do exactly what you claimed… But it’s okay. Help yourself out and read the rule for EO’s I’ve posted.

Rajma

I just don’t understand what goes through the thick skulls of the people in America that support these gun laws. People are just incredibly suspect to any kind of extreme and persistent propaganda be it Russia or USA. It’s really upsetting to understand that we leave in a world where genuinely at least half of the population are objectively stupid and don’t have capacity to think critically on important subjects.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
For anyone interested, the rule for Executive Orders is that it must be “issued in relation to a law passed by Congress or based on powers granted to the President in the Constitution and must be consistent with those authorities.”
https://www.phe.gov/s3/law/Pages/ExecOrders.aspx

That’s why the President can’t just issue an EO banning a gun or guns. There’s no current legislative or constitutional basis for it.

well gosh id love to stop the routine murder of children but the rules say we cant.

cheers

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What the feck?
Accidental discharges resulting in death amongst young ones are a common occurrence to the point you don’t blink when you see one in the news.

Just goes to show what a casual attitude towards guns gets you when you treat them so lightly you don’t even bother to safely store them away from kids.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I know you have a tough time with how those work, but yeah. That’s how those work. We don’t have a dictator.

Tallyho
Is there an 'emergency' law that bypasses these shit constitutions? Like one you would see that puts brown or black people in Guantanamo without a whisper for sneezing on a white American?

Surely, there must be some emergency protocol to "save the lives of American children"?

Not an EO or whatever that is because that just sounds like another political tool. Used by political tools.

MarylandMUFan

Is there an 'emergency' law that bypasses these shit constitutions? Like one you would see that puts brown or black people in Guantanamo without a whisper for sneezing on a white American?

Surely, there must be some emergency protocol to "save the lives of American children"?

Not an EO out whatever that is because that just sounds like another political tool. Used by political tools.
If only. Biden could do all the orders he wants, but like his vaccine mandate, the nutters will take it to court and our Handmaids Tale justices will strike it down.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Not an EO or whatever that is because that just sounds like another political tool. Used by political tools.
Believe that you're referring to wartime powers - but there's no way for Biden to declare war on constituents. Hell, the Republicunts are already up in arms about right-wing white domestic terrorists being labeled as such.

atkar83

Even if there was, it would probably outrage many centrist to the point the Republicans would coast through the next election and just remove thst EO. There is 0% chance the US any sort of gun control laws. The GOP doesn't have any actual polices, all they have is 'pro life' and 'pro guns', without that they're done. They will cling to gun control rights with dear life

Smores

Even if there was, it would probably outrage many centrist to the point the Republicans would coast through the next election and just remove thst EO. There is 0% chance the US any sort of gun control laws. The GOP doesn't have any actual polices, all they have is 'pro life' and 'pro guns', without that they're done. They will cling to gun control rights with dear life
Has there ever been a post that better demonstrates the issue of appeasing the so called centre than this.

We better not do something to save children as it might cost us votes.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Has there ever been a post that better demonstrates the issue of appeasing the so called centre than this.

Has there ever been a post that better demonstrates the issue of not understanding how our fecked up form of government works than this?

I am guessing everyone in this thread other than that sporting weirdo wants impactful gun laws (or in my case a ban on all guns), but short of a violent overthrow of the government to install a progressive overlord that is not going to happen. The system is designed to prevent it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
no the leaders you carry water for every 2 years have no desire to make it happen.
I carry water for no candidates. I vote for, donate to, and campaign for, in primaries, the candidates which best align with my values. When, inevitably, my candidate loses that primary i will, in the general election, vote for the least worst candidate.

What else is there? I’m not asking for your usual make believe hand waving, I’m asking what else you do that is so much more effective.

The Firestarter

I carry water for no candidates. I vote for, donate to, and campaign for, in primaries, the candidates which best align with my values. When, inevitably, my candidate loses that primary i will, in the general election, vote for the least worst candidate.

What else is there? I’m not asking for your usual make believe hand waving, I’m asking what else you do that is so much more effective.
He is accelerationist don't waste your time.

Eboue

The honest answer of things that would be effective is stuff that I can't post on a public forum. At minimum, stuff like this

https://splinternews.com/time-to-make-life-hard-for-the-rich-1821384779

I think it sucks how one liberal shot at Steve Scalise and democrats fell over each other to condem him. I'll just leave it at that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He’s excellent at posting sarcastic one liners on the internet tbf. Changing the world the only way he knows how.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He is accelerationist don't waste your time.
I’m not waisting my time. Not infrequently @Eboue makes points I can agree with, but I think this is one we won’t. I will never agree with a violent solution, which is my guess as to the direction he would go with. That is who I am.

edit: just saw his post, so yep.

atkar83

I'm not american so it wouldn't directly affect me, but how does making an EO that gets removed when you inevitably lose the WH make any difference? If you have an idea on how to change the minds of 50% of the population thats been brainwashed into believing the democrats want to take their guns so they can control them or whatever scary stories Alex Jones/Fox News tells them, please share. If half the population and half the members of parliament and majority of the supreme court has no intention of ever budging on gun rights, then other bad aid solutions must be brought up. Be it banning any mention of shooter names (so they don't get notoriety) or whatever. I don't have any good solutions. But people saying 'why don't they ban guns after kids get slaughtered' just don't understand how dead set republicans are on this, especially with how much dark money from gun makers is flowing through their politicians.

Eboue

He’s excellent at posting sarcastic one liners on the internet tbf. Changing the world the only way he knows how.
It's nice that I, a random guy with a pointless email job and a forklift certification, am expected to solve the problem and change the world. But whenever anyone expects the most powerful person in the world or the party that controls all three law-making bodies in this country to actually do something people like carolina red come in and sneer and say "obviously you don't understand how american politics works". great stuff

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's nice that I, a random guy with a pointless email job and a forklift certification, am expected to solve the problem and change the world. But whenever anyone expects the most powerful person in the world or the party that controls all three law-making bodies in this country to actually do something people like carolina red come in and sneer and say "obviously you don't understand how american politics works". great stuff
I don’t think you are expected to solve it or anything, but likewise I don’t think you can sneer at others who are equally as fed up and feel equally impotent.

We have a system of government. It is hopelessly broken. Fixing it is a monumental task that is almost certainly impossible without a radical shift in this countries political spectrum. This can happen two ways; through the system or by violence. I will always fight for the former and will take no part in the latter should it ever, tragically, become more than a nightmare.