19 children and 2 teachers killed in Texas school shooting (24 May 2022)

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I don’t think you are expected to solve it or anything, but likewise I don’t think you can sneer at others who are equally as fed up and feel equally impotent.

We have a system of government. It is hopelessly broken. Fixing it is a monumental task that is almost certainly impossible without a radical shift in this countries political spectrum. This can happen two ways; through the system or by violence. I will always fight for the former and will take no part in the latter should it ever, tragically, become more than a nightmare.
That's fine. I get it. But there's already violence. It's not a nightmare. It's a reality for people every day. Right now it just flows in one direction and the people at the top are almost completely insulated from it.

Tarrou

any theories on why this basically wasn't a thing before Columbine, limited to maybe 10-15 incidents of the 80 years preceding it
the guy responsible for the Port Arthur massacre in Australia (35 dead) had originally just planned to kill a couple of people. He saw Dunblane on the news and carried out his massacre a couple of weeks later.

it's a complicated subject but there is definitely an element of these things feeding into each other; Columbine happened as the internet was taking off and social media followed not long after

also, AR-15s were decriminalised in the early 2000s which obviously hasn't helped matters

entropy

I carry water for no candidates. I vote for, donate to, and campaign for, in primaries, the candidates which best align with my values. When, inevitably, my candidate loses that primary i will, in the general election, vote for the least worst candidate.

What else is there? I’m not asking for your usual make believe hand waving, I’m asking what else you do that is so much more effective.
ok...but can you see how this isn't an option for everyone? there are those who live in the very same country and are subject to systemic violence on a regular basis. voting for the lesser of the two evil isn't good enough for them when they can't send their kids to school in peace, or go to church or even a supermarket without the fear of another mass shooting.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
ok...but can you see how this isn't an option for everyone? there are those who live in the very same country and are subject to systemic violence on a regular basis. voting for the lesser of the two evil isn't good enough for them when they can't send their kids to school in peace, or go to church or even a supermarket without the fear of another mass shooting.
I agree.

It has taken Republicans 50 years to hijack the political process and the NRA, building slowly until the judicial bench and political primaries are filled with gun rights and anti abortion extremists.

Honestly if Democrats started today to undo those changes we may end up with enough judges and legislators to pass and uphold abortion rights and gun control by the 2070s.

And how many dead people will that cost in the meantime?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

America is broken because of its political structure and incentives. Republicans can stonewall any attempt at gun reform in Congress, primarily because Manchin and Sinema value the filibuster more than they do the lives of children.

The primary system and power of the NRA incentivize Republicans to oppose any attempts to impose regulation on guns. Republicans on SCOTUS are likely to declare restrictions on carrying firearms unconstitutional next month as well because they are all members of the nihilist Federalist Society death cult.

Additionally, Republicans have major structural advantages because of the US Senate. Republicans have won a majority of the Senate for 22 of the last 42 years despite representing a majority of Americans for only 2 years in that period. Because there is no incentive for Republicans to change the Senate to give away their advantage, American democracy is on course for a death spiral as minority rule becomes entrenched over the next decade.

MarylandMUFan

This is why people like Carolina Red and I are so pessimistic about any meaningful change happening. There are so many layers cemented in place that prevent change that we are resigned that there is not anything that can actually be done that will hold.

Droid_Repairs

Excuses will be…

“well most of those are suicides”
And
“only 1% of Gun deaths are in mass shootings”
I'm not for a second making an excuse and I'm not pro-gun whatsover.

But to be fair, suicide is the leading cause of death of people under 40 pretty much globally. It would make sense that in the United States, gunshot is the most common method of suicide because the truth is it's an easy and quick method.

Again, I'm not excusing the gun nuts, nor am I on their side - but I don't think the chart tells the full picture.

Edit: To add some balance to this post, I don't know if suicide is the leading cause of death in that particularly young (1-19) demographic elsewhere in the world. Also, it's alarming and shameful that gun related deaths in young people are going up for any reason. According to this source, 53% of all suicides in the states involves a firearm.

Last edited:

MarylandMUFan

remember it is important to follow the rules and laws in society. we can't have regular people doing anything that would threaten elites in any way
This is the biggest reason that I am so damn pessimistic. It's why we can't have nice things. This court is ignoring precedent and marching down their check list of religious right wing topics. Crushing women's reproductive rights, civil liberties, as well as gun rights. It's really soul crushing for those of us not mired in the Fox News bubble.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

The weapons, funding, military style language, unquestionable authority, all for this.

Siorac

remember it is important to follow the rules and laws in society. we can't have regular people doing anything that would threaten elites in any way
Do they actually WANT to radicalise people? Because this is a fine way to do it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's fine. I get it. But there's already violence. It's not a nightmare. It's a reality for people every day. Right now it just flows in one direction and the people at the top are almost completely insulated from it.
The nightmare I am referring to is that of a full blown civil war. Of course there is already violence, political and otherwise, plaguing this country,
So what are you doing that is more effective? Stop preaching to me about how my way doesn’t work (I’ll not argue too much that it does) and tell me your better way of effecting change.

WPMUFC

Cops standing around and tackling parents / holding them back with tasers is going to be a long running scandal.

Ibi Dreams

America is a finished country. I cannot see how it's ever going to stop getting worse

RedDevilQuebecois

Are they joking me? Where is the notion of shooting the hinges with a shotgun to open a door? The last thing that was needed was to endanger the poor school staff member by bringing him/her close to where the shooter was. All of the police officers involved deserve to have their pay cut in half for such a pathetic effort.

"Have another donut." - Jim Schoenfeld

Smores

I'm not american so it wouldn't directly affect me, but how does making an EO that gets removed when you inevitably lose the WH make any difference? If you have an idea on how to change the minds of 50% of the population thats been brainwashed into believing the democrats want to take their guns so they can control them or whatever scary stories Alex Jones/Fox News tells them, please share. If half the population and half the members of parliament and majority of the supreme court has no intention of ever budging on gun rights, then other bad aid solutions must be brought up. Be it banning any mention of shooter names (so they don't get notoriety) or whatever. I don't have any good solutions. But people saying 'why don't they ban guns after kids get slaughtered' just don't understand how dead set republicans are on this, especially with how much dark money from gun makers is flowing through their politicians.
Because it's at least doing something even if temporary. Centrism is worth nothing if the result is policy that continually allow these events to happen. This isn't just on the NRA and the Republicans it's a failure for the entire US and a shame on every American.

The apathy around these events drives me nuts. It's clear as day that every time this happens there's temporary anger, finger pointing at the Republicans, then back to brunch it is.

It's not for me to know the solution nor am I excepting anyone here to know. They should however be angry enough to do something rather than fall back into the usual apathy or defensive excuses. This line that nothing can be done is bollocks, Biden is ultimately responsible for reducing these events and if he can't get it through it's a failure on him.

It's been too long without progress and anyone claiming the Dems have done all they could is lying to themselves. Repeated failures are responsible for those kids deaths.

Revan

Assumptionman
Someone already suggested doing that in this thread and it wasn't sarcasm. :eek:

Honestly they all seem insane to me, what about going to school without no guards and guns around, overall I feel more secure when there aren't armed people around at least that's how it was when I went to elementary school. Next thing they might suggest is to make the students wear body armor, or better yet arm them so they can kill an intruder.
The only thing that can stop a bad student with a gun, is a good student with a bigger gun.

Revan

Assumptionman
or joseph robinette biden can sign an executive order banning assault rifles.
That would be declared anti constitutional from some random judge, which will suspend the order until it gets decided by the Supreme Court.

Which will decide that it is anti-constitutional obviously, in a rare high-profile unanimous decision.

Revan

Assumptionman
https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1848971668

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Honestly, there must be bipartisanship support for this change, and even then, to hope that the Supreme Court does not overrule that. Which might be possible at some stage for some gun control.

A gun ban which some people here are asking, essentially requires 60% of Congress and 75% of states to vote for it. Which is not happening.

Moby

Dick
Honestly, there must be bipartisanship support for this change, and even then, to hope that the Supreme Court does not overrule that. Which might be possible at some stage for some gun control.

A gun ban which some people here are asking, essentially requires 60% of Congress and 75% of states to vote for it. Which is not happening.
There doesn't need to be a blanket ban on guns to prevent these incidents. Plenty can be done before getting to that point that would drastically reduce the likelihood of these events.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The only thing that could change anything in the US or UK regarding the god awful politics surrounding gun control/abortion rights/cost of living etc. are riots on a mass scale i.e civil war esque. Less dangerous in the UK of course because in the US you'll have cnuts like Rittenhouse being cleared when they decide to bring guns to the fight. I just can't see how it ends in the US without people at the top doing something but to get that to happen you're going to need a few deaths from rioters to make it happen which is brutal and disturbing to even fathom. Even if a major politicians child dies in a school shooting I doubt they'll do anything because they are so warped and believe that they're right. There is going to be no 'win' for the regular person, it's depressing.

diarm

I agree.

It has taken Republicans 50 years to hijack the political process and the NRA, building slowly until the judicial bench and political primaries are filled with gun rights and anti abortion extremists.

Honestly if Democrats started today to undo those changes we may end up with enough judges and legislators to pass and uphold abortion rights and gun control by the 2070s.

Then they should start today. Otherwise in 2070 we will still have 7 year olds being ripped apart by assault weapons in classrooms and people sitting around asking what we can do about it.

Smores

I agree.

If you look at the lengths republicans go to win their arguments, it's in no one way matched by democrats.

43% of Texans want stricter gun laws looking at the latest poll. 43% is more than enough to enact change via civil disobedience and protest. If brave political leadership was in place there's enough support.

frostbite

1. Ban assault guns. These are only useful in war. (Explosives are banned, bombs are banned, cannons are banned. )

2. Background checks.

3. Waiting period (1 month?).

4. License. Like a driving license.

5. Registration. Like automobile registration. With fees. Every year.

We all need cars. Why is getting a car harder than getting an assault gun?