2015 Toyota AFL Premiership Season

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal

With just over a week to go until Round 1 I thought I'd get the thread going.

What are everyone's predictions? Will the Hawks go back to back to back? Who'll challenge, the Swans will surely be up there, Port Adelaide too. How far will Geelong tumble? How many minutes will Mitch Clark actually play? Which new calamity awaits Melbourne? Will Essendon have a team? Will an anvil fall mercilessly out of the sky and end James Hird, saving us all from Caroline Wilson's tedious articles?

Safest prediction of the year? Richmond will underwhelm.

@cesc's_mullet
@Cooksen
@Melbourne Red
@Flying Fox
@ZDwyr
@forrie_x

and pseudo Australian, @Wibble

ZDwyr

Was just thinking a few hours ago that the season is very close. Really looking forward to it!

I think we (Hawthorn) can definitely win it again but it will be tough. Port and North are two of my big worries. Sydney are an interesting one. They're stacked with talent in midfield and up forward but their defence is aging and lost Malceski who was a big asset. They will still be top four but not sure they can win it.

Not sure Geelong will tumble too far. Their 17 wins last season probably flattered them in a way, they could have ended up with 14/15 wins and I expect that is what they will get this season. St Kilda my pick for the spoon too. Don't think Malthouse will see out the season either.

Flying Fox

Anyone else watch The Footy Show last week and Lumbumba's thing about weed and religion? Was bizarre!

Also note that the Dees have placed him straight into their leadership group. I hope Melbourne turn it around, but it's :lol: to think this guy would play a part in it.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think Hawthorn are a great chance for a three-peat. We have the talent, insane depth, game-plan and coach(es) to pull it off.

Though for me the questions are, how much will Port Adelaide improve?

Can Sydney get over the humiliation of last season's (sweet sweet) Grand Final?

I don't think Port Adelaide could handle the injury crisis Hawthorn went through last season, their squad just isn't as deep though their best team is excellent.

Syndey have lost Malceski who will be a big loss for their backline as he has excellent foot-skills and reads the game well. The obvious solution would be to move McVeigh back to half-back (too soft for the midfield, and he has nice skills which are better suited to the backline), and bring Tom Mitchell into the midfield rotation (way too good to be missing games). But the real concern is the ageing Ted Richards and Heath Grundy, they really need to find Sam Reid a position (CHB) and keep him here.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
C'mon. Tell me you didnt think he was a cnut when he was at collingwood :lol:
Of course, I'm pretty sure everyone did. He's pompous and sees himself as some pseudo-ghandi.

Apparently he took exception to someone writing 'see you at the mardi graz' on a picture of Beams and some other player hugging.... OR some crap like that. Nothing to do with him or related to him in any way, but he took exception to it and made it an issue. I can just imagine Buckley's face when this issue was brought to his attention.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Of course, I'm pretty sure everyone did. He's pompous and sees himself as some pseudo-ghandi.

Apparently he took exception to someone writing 'see you at the mardi graz' on a picture of Beams and some other player hugging.... OR some crap like that. Nothing to do with him or related to him in any way, but he took exception to it and made it an issue. I can just imagine Buckley's face when this issue was brought to his attention.
I'm not sure Buckley's face is capable of expressing emotions of any kind.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Any of you homers doing Supercoach this season?

I have my draft Supercoach this Saturday, and am trying to finalise my initial team for regular Supercoach today.... But am struggling to put together the right team - I need to know which kids are going to get games. Much research is to be done!

God damn it's a commitment.

ZDwyr

@Archie Leach @ZDwyr

Did either of you catch the Grand Final Re-call last night? I was out so I didn't get to watch it, but recorded it at least so I'll be giving it a good thrashing this weekend.

But anyhow, this is a clip that was part of the 2 hour special... feck me the Hawk supporter was living the dream here. Some spine-tingling moments too.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-03-25/2015-season-launch-film-grabbing-the-moment-
I watched it. It was pretty good, not sure I was completely blown away but it was still nice to watch it. Yeah being a Hawk supporter is just amazing really :lol:. The week build-up for the grand final is basically just routine at this point.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I watched it. It was pretty good, not sure I was completely blown away but it was still nice to watch it. Yeah being a Hawk supporter is just amazing really :lol:. The week build-up for the grand final is basically just routine at this point.
We are blessed ATM. We have such a well run club, from top to bottom.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
This is probably the millionth time I've adjusted the side... I just can't settle on one as yet and won't be settling on this one (considering I have 253k up my sleeve)

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A win this year would confirm this squads status as the best of the modern (AFL) era, although I think that's been achieved already.
If we pull it off then we definitely are, if not, then we will remain in the discussion with Geelong and Brisbane.

Brisbane have the three-peat in the bag, but they had financial assistance from the AFL so it's somewhat tainted. Geelong, despite their dominance, never achieved back-to-back thanks to us, but 3 flags over a 5 season period is still an incredible record. As it stands you could argue for any of those three sides as being the best since the Hawthorn of the 80's/early 90's era (which is surely the greatest side ever, everz).

In short - feck we're blessed.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hopefully the Lions can challenge for a spot in the 8. Same top four as last season. Port vs Sydney grand final.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully the Lions can challenge for a spot in the 8. Same top four as last season. Port vs Sydney grand final.
Out of interest where do you think Sydney will improve on last season?

I think their back-line is rather suspect as it stands, with Richards and Grundy both undersized and ageing. I think Sam Reid can be their solution at CHB as he is really looking for a set position to make his own.

Malceski is a loss indeed, though McVeigh should theoretically be able to fill in there with little issue - he's too soft to be a midfielder and the GF exposed him horribly as a poor on-field leader. Half-back is where he should stay where he can use his elite kick to maximum effect. He's also had All Australian seasons playing off half-back so that's just a no brainer to me.

As for Brisbane - I think they should make a push up the ladder with the inclusions of Beams (GUN), Christensen and to a lesser extent Robinson. Couple those players with the natural progression (assumed) of your young-guns, the return of Rich, (hopefully) a fully fit Leuenburger and you have a very exciting team.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Out of interest where do you think Sydney will improve on last season?

I think their back-line is rather suspect as it stands, with Richards and Grundy both undersized and ageing. I think Sam Reid can be their solution at CHB as he is really looking for a set position to make his own.

Malceski is a loss indeed, though McVeigh should theoretically be able to fill in there with little issue - he's too soft to be a midfielder and the GF exposed him horribly as a poor on-field leader. Half-back is where he should stay where he can use his elite kick to maximum effect. He's also had All Australian seasons playing off half-back so that's just a no brainer to me.
At the moment I'm putting last years grand final down to an aberration on Sydney's part not withstanding how well your hawks played. Plus i was being a tad contrarian in picking them as very few are. Hawks start favourites.

Flying Fox

This is probably the millionth time I've adjusted the side... I just can't settle on one as yet and won't be settling on this one (considering I have 253k up my sleeve)

I'm fecking naff at DT, but that looks alright. I hope Cam Ellis-Yolmen makes the leap this year. Was great for the reserves in SANFL last year, and for the Eagles before that

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
If we pull it off then we definitely are, if not, then we will remain in the discussion with Geelong and Brisbane.

Brisbane have the three-peat in the bag, but they had financial assistance from the AFL so it's somewhat tainted. Geelong, despite their dominance, never achieved back-to-back thanks to us, but 3 flags over a 5 season period is still an incredible record. As it stands you could argue for any of those three sides as being the best since the Hawthorn of the 80's/early 90's era (which is surely the greatest side ever, everz).

In short - feck we're blessed.
It's contentious. But Clarkson has kept it going for 7 years and we really should've beaten Sydney in 12. Brisbane were brilliant in the finals but didn't win a single minor premiership. As far as I'm concerned this squad is the best but I understand why opposition fans might need this year to confirm it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It's contentious. But Clarkson has kept it going for 7 years and we really should've beaten Sydney in 12. Brisbane were brilliant in the finals but didn't win a single minor premiership. As far as I'm concerned this squad is the best but I understand why opposition fans might need this year to confirm it.
One thing that shouldn't be forgotten is the Lions when they won three in a row had to go to the MCG and beat the reigning premiers Essendon, and Collingwood in a home grand final twice. Yes the Lions didn't win a minor premiership, but that's the Australian system for you. Just finish in the 8, make the grand final and win it. If the Hawks win it, they will have probably edged ahead of the Lions side which won three in a row. They're set up to really dominate, but to win a flag many rings have to go your way.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Nathan Buckley surely will be out of a job if the pies have another bad season. They've got progressively worse under him. Finals or bust even though Eddie McGuire loves him.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
One thing that shouldn't be forgotten is the Lions when they won three in a row had to go to the MCG and beat the reigning premiers Essendon, and Collingwood in a home grand final twice. Yes the Lions didn't win a minor premiership, but that's the Australian system for you. Just finish in the 8, make the grand final and win it. If the Hawks win it, they will have probably edged ahead of the Lions side which won three in a row. They're set up to really dominate, but to win a flag many rings have to go your way.
If we're talking about variables like Melbourne finals then Brisbanes salary cap needs to be mentioned. One thing that has been brushed under the rug a little bit is the immensity of Hawthorn winning the flag given our horrendous injuries and Clarksons illness. To come into the Grand as underdogs (despite having by far the superior squad when fit) It's by far our finest victory of recent times. Obviously I have a bias but a win this year will put us alongside the 80s side.

But that Brisbane team was pretty incredible. Nigel Lappin is the most underrated footballer of the last 20 years.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If we're talking about variables like Melbourne finals then Brisbanes salary cap needs to be mentioned. One thing that has been brushed under the rug a little bit is the immensity of Hawthorn winning the flag given our horrendous injuries and Clarksons illness. To come into the Grand as underdogs (despite having by far the superior squad when fit) It's by far our finest victory of recent times. Obviously I have a bias but a win this year will put us alongside the 80s side.

But that Brisbane team was pretty incredible. Nigel Lappin is the most underrated footballer of the last 20 years.
Lappin was a tremendous player, and you're right about him being underrated. I'd say Simon Black is extremely underrared too. As for that Brisbane side - if Nigel Lappin is your 4th choice midfielder then you're having a laugh.

It makes me wonder how good Brisbane would have been if Buckley had stayed, just imagine a midfield of: Voss, Buckley, Black, Akermanis, Lappin (and Hart). Or imagine the 80's Hawthorn side with Ablett Snr.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lappin was a tremendous player, and you're right about him being underrated. I'd say Simon Black is extremely underrared too. As for that Brisbane side - if Nigel Lappin is your 4th choice midfielder then you're having a laugh.

It makes me wonder how good Brisbane would have been if Buckley had stayed, just imagine a midfield of: Voss, Buckley, Black, Akermanis, Lappin (and Hart). Or imagine the 80's Hawthorn side with Ablett Snr.
I'm fairly happy with Buckley having never won flag as a player :lol:. If Gary Ablett Snr joined Hawthorn at the end of 88, the 89 Grand Final wouldn't have been the epic game it was. There's a thought.