2017 in music

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There's a new The xx album, although haven't heard it yet but I'll be hearing Bonobo instead, seems good.

hubbuh

I think this is great. Ray Blk is too cool for her own good!!

Soz for the massive pic. She's watching to make sure you listen and like.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
New Run the Jewels is terrific, again. I listened to the new xx album and it did nothing for me. Cloud Nothings and Japandroids both release albums on the 27th so I'll keep an ear out for them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Outlier best track so far but only five songs in.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Came out late last year but I only just discovered them. Bizarre but quite good.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
New Father John Misty, Fionn Regan, Elbow, Arcade Fire, Depeche Mode, Blondie all due in the next few months :drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sampha's debut album Process is great. Hailed by some as a sort of U.K. equivalent of Frank Ocean. Definitely worth a listen.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sampha's debut album Process is great. Hailed by some as a sort of U.K. equivalent of Frank Ocean. Definitely worth a listen.
Given it a shot this morning. Plastic 100 is already easily one of my fave songs so far this year. Reverse Faults is awesome too.

DWelbz19

Given it a shot this morning. Plastic 100 is already easily one of my fave songs so far this year. Reverse Faults is awesome too.
The beat on Reverse Faults is crazy! No-One Knows Me Like The Piano is such an emotive song too. I remember coming across this on Reddit at some point; "Damn hits extra hard if you know his mom passed away (due cancer), sampha cared for her in her last weeks. You can imagine he played the piano over there quite some time.." :(

Had you ever heard of him before? I ask because it's strange with Sampha, I'm sure most people have actually heard of him before because he has been on a lot of high-profile stuff in the past but maybe not realised.
He was on Drake's album Nothing Was The Same (The Motion; Too Much); Kanye's TLOP (Saint Pablo); Beyonce's song Mine; Solange's Don't Touch My Hair and most importantly Frank Ocean's Alabama on Endless.

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
The beat on Reverse Faults is crazy! No-One Knows Me Like The Piano is such an emotive song too. I remember coming across this on Reddit at some point; "Damn hits extra hard if you know his mom passed away (due cancer), sampha cared for her in her last weeks. You can imagine he played the piano over there quite some time.." :(

Had you ever heard of him before? I ask because it's strange with Sampha, I'm sure most people have actually heard of him before because he has been on a lot of high-profile stuff in the past but maybe not realised.
He was on Drake's album Nothing Was The Same (The Motion; Too Much); Kanye's TLOP (Saint Pablo); Beyonce's song Mine; Solange's Don't Touch My Hair and most importantly Frank Ocean's Alabama on Endless.
He made his name back in 2011 with SBTRKT, no?

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I think this year's gotten off to a fairly slow start - I can only say I've fallen in love with the new Ty Segall. I've enjoyed all sorts from Loyle Carner, Sampha, Wiley, Code Orange and even Foxygen who I usually don't allow a second's thought, but I was left disappointed by The Flaming Lips and Elbow's new records and even more disappointed with The xx.

So, here I am waiting for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to bring me back around.

datura

I think this year's gotten off to a fairly slow start - I can only say I've fallen in love with the new Ty Segall. I've enjoyed all sorts from Loyle Carner, Sampha, Wiley, Code Orange and even Foxygen who I usually don't allow a second's thought, but I was left disappointed by The Flaming Lips and Elbow's new records and even more disappointed with The xx.

So, here I am waiting for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to bring me back around.
Try the latest Moon Duo, some really good tracks on it.

Think there's 4 king lizard albums due this year? Makes Ty seem lazy!

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Try the latest Moon Duo, some really good tracks on it.

Think there's 4 king lizard albums due this year? Makes Ty seem lazy!
Lost track of Moon Duo after Circles actually - so thanks!

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Chris Stapleton. The sooner he drops an album in 2017, the better for us all.

DWelbz19

Stormzy has confirmed his new album Gang Signs & Prayers will be out on the 24th of this month, for any UK Rap lovers - though I can't say I care for his music much at all.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The new Lowly album seems like quite good dream pop after a few listens.

Ralaks

The new Lowly album seems like quite good dream pop after a few listens.
Have you heard the new king gizzard? Spontanously bought it yesterday on vinyl as the release coincidenced with payday. Really good, my early favorite for album of the year.

Maagge

Have you heard the new king gizzard? Spontanously bought it yesterday on vinyl as the release coincidenced with payday. Really good, my early favorite for album of the year.
Just finished listening to it on the bus just now. My third listen I think. They're still good. 'Melting' and 'Open Water' are my early favourites.

Now on to Dirty Projectors.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been listening to the new Thundercat album. It's very odd. Half of the lyrics sound like he's making them up on the spot and just throwing out random phrases. I've always liked Them Changes but not much else stands out on the album.

Ralaks

Just finished listening to it on the bus just now. My third listen I think. They're still good. 'Melting' and 'Open Water' are my early favourites.

Now on to Dirty Projectors.
I like 'Rattlesnake', 'Open Water' and 'Billabong valley' most so far. Last one has such a cool western style, can't help but hear him singing 'mandag morgen' everytime he sings 'mad dog morgan' either.

JoaquinJoaquin

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that. Been underwhelmed so far.

Maagge

Been listening to the new Thundercat album. It's very odd. Half of the lyrics sound like he's making them up on the spot and just throwing out random phrases. I've always liked Them Changes but not much else stands out on the album.
I did giggle at the line about Goku.
I like 'Rattlesnake', 'Open Water' and 'Billabong valley' most so far. Last one has such a cool western style, can't help but hear him singing 'mandag morgen' everytime he sings 'mad dog morgan' either.
'Billabong Valley' is growing on me, but I dig the western thing a bit at the moment, 'Berlin Got Blurry' by Parquet Courts for instance. 'Rattlesnake was excellent when painting the living room the other day. :)

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
not that anyone will care, but Fastball and Lit are releasing new albums this year. Oh and Live has reunited.
To take a trip on memory lane, Fastball are the "the Way" guys.
Lit are the "My own worst enemy" guys and Live wrote "Lightning Crashes".

Maagge

The Jens Lekman album is good. A very pleasant listen with little quirky anecdotes and thoughts from everyday life. I quite like his way of writing and his voice. Reminds me of a more naive Father John Misty, and Whitest Boy Alive in its way of being both danceable and almost soothing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anyone listened to blkswn by Smino?

Bit long but some good tunes on there. Netflix & Dusse is so catchy. Spitshine, blkswn and Innamission are my current other standouts.

Nickosaur

Conor Oberst has released 'Salutations' today, which is basically a live-band version of last years 'Ruminations', with a few extra songs chucked in. I liked Ruminations but it felt a little sparse and undercooked. Salutations sounds brilliant so far.