2017 Pre Season | Real Salt Lake vs Manchester United

Devil may care

Pereira was the only highlight of the second half, Martial tried hard but was a bit over eager for his own good at times, Rashford looked better the other night when Mata was playing close to him, the isolated lone striker role doesn't play to his strengths.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lingard, Miki, Pereira and Martial the only 4 who actually played well IMO. Lukaku was alright, got the goal which will help his confidence. TFM was decent. Second half defence did alright I guess, but generally the rest were sloppy/slow/ineffective. Boring game overall.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I didn't think 433 worked for us either half. The midfield pairings were off and no one seemed to know who was sitting and who was going. Wingers were very wide and pretty much everyone looked isolated.

The only time we controlled the ball was when our CBS had it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pereira was the only highlight of the second half, Martial tried hard but was a bit over eager for his own good at times, Rashford looked better the other night when Mata was playing close to him, the isolated lone striker role doesn't play to his strengths.
He was also playing against the reserves of one of the worst MLS teams the other night... so that could be it. But I also agree, he's useless as a lone striker, only effective with 2 up top.

prtk0811

Venezuela. Pretty sure he also hates United for noreason
The whole espn panel is a known anti Jose anti United and 100 percent biased panel always doing negetive propoganda on United and using sarcasm and trying to look down on epl and a known la liga and pep ass licker

SqueakyWeasel

I like the fact that Jose is giving every player a run out for these first two matches - so don't read anything into the late subs.

The next three games will be approached differently. I think we will see a bit more of a first string team appearing rather than chopping and changing things up too much.

Hope the ref's decision (by pre-season standards) to red card TonyV (but only after joking with him first and then checking on the player that was down) does not affect the planning as he is integral.

Next game will be interesting to say the least.

The one that worries me is Real in SF that's going to be HOT :devil: played so early!

Baxter

Didn't see it, but commentator mentioned it; Did anybody see the tackle that was made on Valencia that pissed him off to make his tackle?
Think it might have been the guy that caught Mata. Was clearly a deliberate hit.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
What the feck is this ESPN commentator going on about. Prick.
Don't listen to ESPN FC. I listen to that damn show every day and he's always yelling LUKAKU in a condescending way, and going on about how United isn't the United of the past. At best he's overly impartial to the club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It seems like the altitude really did play a part on the players. Most of them were quite slow both physically and mentally. They seemed to be slower in their movement, the tempo was slower, and they weren't making decisions as quickly as they normally would. Having said that, this is still a good workout for them, and playing against a team as intense as RSL today will have done them wonders to make them sharper.

Pereira really impressed me today. He's become a proper, mature midfielder and is proving to Jose that he has the discipline to play for him. However, the fact that Jose sees him as a holding midfielder is interesting. Pereira is tenacious, and he does possess a good passing range, but why wouldn't he make use of his movement and dribbling higher up the pitch? Does he want Pereira to become a Carrick replacement, or is he trying to develop his defensive game? One thing's for sure, though; if Mourinho's playing Pereira in a holding midfield role, I don't think that he will be playing Pereira in the first team this season. Pereira doesn't have the defensive know-how in order to be a good enough holding midfielder under Mourinho. Whenever he presses, he has a tough time unsettling the ball holder. His tackling isn't up to par yet, and he's still positionally suspect.

Most people weren't talking about him, but I thought that Smalling and Bailly were great today. Given that the RSL players were buzzing around and quicker than our players, they did a great job in fortifying the middle. Chances were at a premium for RSL even when we were down to 10 men. The only chances RSL were able to create were through wing play, and those were few and far in between. Given that the midfield was unable to keep up with RSL, both Smalling and Bailly were great in keeping a clean sheet in the 2nd half.

Martial, for all of the good work that he does, still seems to ponder on the ball for a bit too long. It seems like he's still stuck under the Louis van Gaal approach of thinking about every decision he makes. At this point, he needs to be more decisive and commit to what he will do before he receives the ball rather than deciding once he makes his first touch. One he starts becoming quicker mentally, his natural footballing talent will start to shine even brighter, and he himself will become more confident.

el3mel

Couldn't complete the second half but it seemed I didn't miss anything.

From what I saw, it's a good training sessions and nothing to worry about.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Did Mata and Darmian get hurt?
Darmian seemed to get an elbow from Schuler that hurt him, but Mata was continuously limping. Darmian should be fine, but I fear that Mata may be injured and might miss our next 2 pre-season matches. Let's see what Mourinho says about his injury.

Devil may care

He was also playing against the reserves of one of the worst MLS teams the other night... so that could be it. But I also agree, he's useless as a lone striker, only effective with 2 up top.
I'm sure playing against poorer opposition helped but this was RSL's second string as well from what the commentator said, the first team played the first 30 minutes. At any rate I think Rashford needs someone near him to play a quick exchange with as he doesn't have good hold up play and you don't want him dwelling on the ball too long.

Duafc

Village Lemon
What about Smallings header miss.

50% of his job is heading.

fecking plank. I would not be sad to see Jones, him or both leave.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dozed off through parts of the game. Seems the second half was a doozy with heavy pressing from RSL and persistent fouling? Seems to have riled up Valencia enough to get himself sent off.
Yeah, RSL were full of energy and quite aggressive in their pressing. There was no persistent fouling, however; Valencia just didn't expect RSL's second/third-string players to be so aggressive. It seemed to have surprised him, which is why he lashed out.

beergod

Don't listen to ESPN FC. I listen to that damn show every day and he's always yelling LUKAKU in a condescending way, and going on about how United isn't the United of the past. At best he's overly impartial to the club.
You are a masochist. Seek help.

SqueakyWeasel

Darmian seemed to get an elbow from Schuler that hurt him, but Mata was continuously limping. Darmian should be fine, but I fear that Mata may be injured and might miss our next 2 pre-season matches. Let's see what Mourinho says about his injury.
He'll be too busy moaning about the decision to show a red in pre-season and to play extra time that resulted in the Darmian knock.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He'll be too busy moaning about the decision to show a red in pre-season and to play extra time that resulted in the Darmian knock.
To be fair, we did have 2 minutes of stoppage time in the end. Darmian spent 90 seconds (rough guess) getting some treatment, and the referee blew the final whistle around 93:15.

parkthebuslads

Friendly or not, a youngster coming in shouldn't be standing out in the way Pereira has. Sure he's a talent but it says so much about the rest. Outside of Pogba, he's looked our best player. And once again, sure - it's a preseason. But the rest are performing at a similar level to last season. If you're expecting an improvement I wouldn't hold my breath.

It should be a wake up call to Jose but I doubt it. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts before he's as poor as the rest of them because that's the script right? A forward-ish player comes in, looks bright and positive and quickly falls into the zombie horde.

Dazzmondo

Yeah actually I will also praise the defence. Thought Lindelof and TFM were good in the 1st half and Bailly and Smalling were very good in 2nd half

Duafc

Village Lemon
It's interesting that you use that to judge his whole performance...
In no part of my post do I reference his performance on the whole in anyway.

What's more interesting is whether you can't read or make things up?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In no part of my post do I reference his performance on the whole in anyway.

What's more interesting is whether you can't read or make things up?
50% of his job is heading.

fecking plank. I would not be sad to see Jones, him or both leave.
That seems comprehensive enough to me. I wonder why you're so mad about him though...

Shimo

What the feck is this ESPN commentator going on about. Prick.
Alejandro Moreno is very bitter - shyte player and worse analyst and even worse as a commentator. Not that it was that great a game but, his commentary made it unbearable.

Red_Orchestra

I missed the full game, I only watched the final 5 minutes. Martial should've buried that by the way, come on man! Did we play 4-3-3 in both halfs?