2017 Pre Season | Real Salt Lake vs Manchester United

tombombadil

Yeah, RSL were full of energy and quite aggressive in their pressing. There was no persistent fouling, however; Valencia just didn't expect RSL's second/third-string players to be so aggressive. It seemed to have surprised him, which is why he lashed out.
Mata apparently got injured by the same player. Mourinho saying the kid was too enthusiastic in his tackles. Oh well. Let's hope no heavy sanctions against Valencia and Mata isn't too badly hurt.

Duafc

Village Lemon
That seems comprehensive enough to me. I wonder why you're so mad about him though...
Thats a general opinion. You said I've used him missing a header to measure his performance.

I didn't, clearly.

Am I angry because I used a swear word? It's part of the Irish vernacular.

Him missing the header is noteworthy, as it was a very easy chance and he's a professional footballer. Then I took a new paragraph and made a new point, not solely linked to tonight's performance.

That broadly my opinion is that he's on borrowed time at United, like Jones. Both rumoured to be up for sale and not overly fancied by Mourinho, further highlighted by him buying his second CB in as many years.

If you like him so much you have to invent meaning into sentences were it doesn't exist then more power to you, doesn't change the fact that you're making my opinions up for me, as well as my mood!

What am I having for tea tomorrow?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Mata apparently got injured by the same player. Mourinho saying the kid was too enthusiastic in his tackles. Oh well. Let's hope no heavy sanctions against Valencia and Mata isn't too badly hurt.
Yeah, he was quite aggressive, but I didn't notice anything dirty about RSL in the match. I can only hope that the Premier League don't do what they did in the summer of 2006 to Scholes and Rooney, but I always get that feeling that they might do something stupid like that...

SqueakyWeasel

Jose more worried about Mata than Darmian in post match presser - says Juan has a "big" ankle.

He said he enjoyed LA Galaxy and he enjoyed the first half of this game. But in the second half, too many kids with less quality … more difficult. The elevation was a factor too but overall a good experience.

Next games 60 mins v 30 mins but will still play every player in each game.

Apparently ref sent TonyV off because Jose refused to remove him voluntarily :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thats a general opinion. You said I've used him missing a header to measure his performance.

I didn't, clearly.

Am I angry because I used a swear word? It's part of the Irish vernacular.

Him missing the header is noteworthy, as it was a very easy chance and he's a professional footballer.

And broadly my opinion is that he's on borrowed time at United, like Jones. Both rumoured to be up for sale and not overly fancied by Mourinho, further highlighted by him buying his second CB in as many years.

If you like him so much you have to invent meaning into sentences were it doesn't exist then more power to you, doesn't change the fact that you're making my opinions up for me, as well as my mood!

What am I having for tea tomorrow?
You're normally not like this. What put you in a bad mood?

I just find it weird that you state all of this when he was one of our best players in the 2nd half. Even now, you don't mention anything about his defending today, particularly when Jones looked out of pace.

tombombadil

Friendly or not, a youngster coming in shouldn't be standing out in the way Pereira has. Sure he's a talent but it says so much about the rest. Outside of Pogba, he's looked our best player. And once again, sure - it's a preseason. But the rest are performing at a similar level to last season. If you're expecting an improvement I wouldn't hold my breath.

It should be a wake up call to Jose but I doubt it. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts before he's as poor as the rest of them because that's the script right? A forward-ish player comes in, looks bright and positive and quickly falls into the zombie horde.
Mourinho was saying that apparently the altitude was affecting the players. They were struggling and out of breath. Couldn't think. Add to that the heavy pressing and constant running by the RSL players who were always fresh because they are acclimatised and play only 30 mins and the 2nd and 3rd batches were also very young. Can't take too much from the poor performance I guess.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Mourinho was saying that apparently the altitude was affecting the players. They were struggling and out of breath. Couldn't think. Add to that the heavy pressing and constant running by the RSL players who were always fresh because they are acclimatised and play only 30 mins and the 2nd and 3rd batches were also very young. Can't take too much from the poor performance I guess.
Definitely. If anything, it was a great preparation for the upcoming season. After the lack of preseason last summer, such an intense workout is extremely beneficial for the side.

Duafc

Village Lemon

I just find it weird that you state all of this when he was one of our best players in the 2nd half. Even now, you don't mention anything about his defending today, particularly when Jones looked out of pace.
I don't think they offered any threat at all after the first half, and he had a midfield doing a better defensive job in front him.

Notwithstanding I wouldn't expect any of our CBS to struggle against them. On the ball he still leaves so, so much to be desired.

Physically and aerially he can be a domiant CB but I question his mentality, quality on the call and fitness. He's had very good seasons here and then regressed again. I think he'll play a squad role this year, injuries depending. If someone were to come in for him I think he'd be better leaving and being a big player for a mid table club like Evans.

If my mood is poor it's because I've had to explain that all this opinion isn't based on him missing a header against Real Salt Lake, which was obvious!

Duafc

Village Lemon

And I didn't single him out, I posted at HT that Jones was very poor.

tombombadil

Yeah, he was quite aggressive, but I didn't notice anything dirty about RSL in the match. I can only hope that the Premier League don't do what they did in the summer of 2006 to Scholes and Rooney, but I always get that feeling that they might do something stupid like that...
I see. Can't really remember much from the game as I was half asleep through most of it. Haha.

I thought the same thing as well when I saw that red card. I doubt it will happen seeing as we still have a few more friendlies to go, worst case is Valencia gets suspended next friendly game or something like that, although I hope that doesn't happen.

Definitely. If anything, it was a great preparation for the upcoming season. After the lack of preseason last summer, such an intense workout is extremely beneficial for the side.
Yeah. Good workout at high intensity throughout.

prtk0811

The worst man which could be injured before city barca real madrid game is mata.

roseguy64

Well, they all are ABUs at ESPN FC. Chelsea guy (Burley), Liverpool (Nicol), Arsenal (Mariner), West Ham (Hislop), Moreno (MLS). Only the hosts (Dan Thomas & Alexis Nunes) are United leaning.
Nunes is actually a United fan but tries to be neutral

Dazzmondo

Bloody hell, glad I didn't watch on ESPN. Everyone seems to hate this guy :lol:

roseguy64

Can't watch the game, so read live commentary on man united website and there they have Martial looking sharp and lively, then I come here and the thread is all about how Martial is lazy and such. Should have known not to come into a match thread.
They were saying that at the start. He's been a presence since we went down a man.

tombombadil

I felt the first half we lacked width. It was bad enough the RSL players were playing a high block pressing heavily so there was hardly any space to move forward but not having width made the pitch smaller and easier for them to press. Would have been good if the fullbacks attacked more often and dragged the play wider.

prtk0811

I felt the first half we lacked width. It was bad enough the RSL players were playing a high block pressing heavily so there was hardly any space to move forward but not having width made the pitch smaller and easier for them to press. Would have been good if the fullbacks attacked more often and dragged the play wider.
That's why we are targetting perisic.

Adcuth

Wow what happened to the 2nd half. Was expecting a few more goals. Cost me 100 quid that

Ninja7Red

That's why we are targetting perisic.
Precisely. Even Lingard cut in regularly trying those intricate passes through the middle.

Martial did have an on and off game though - could have done better in a couple of those moves. Missed a glorious chance after creating it himself.

Sums up his last season really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The finishing was horrible for the match (Martial, Smalling and Fellaini :lol:). I really hope some players will step up this coming season otherwise Lukaku will be under ridiculous pressure.
However it's preseason so not really bothered that much.

markhrad

Couldn't complete the second half but it seemed I didn't miss anything.

From what I saw, it's a good training sessions and nothing to worry about.
Same with me I left home at 60 minutes. We played a championship level team that brought on its reserves at 30+ minutes.
Nothing to see here. just a training session.

redflash

Very good work out that. Not a great spectacle but that will do the players the world of good. If you've ever played sport at altitude then you know that it makes a huge difference to your performance.

I'm also pleased (strangely) with Tony V red card. Exacting revenge on the lad who had kicked a few of our players. I've often said that we are way too 'nice' as a team so good to see someone willing to do something a bit nasty to let them know we won't be messed with.

SqueakyWeasel

Paddy Crerand is way too biased... a push on Jones for their first goal?! Bloody hell.
At least he's working for a Manchester United channel, so not hiding the fact. It should be a given that the MUTV hosts and comms lean towards us favourably, even if that is not really constructive or helpful at times (that being said, he's never been known for the depth of his insights).

From what I read in here during the game ESPN's South American commentator was Graeme Sourness on steroids :nono::lol:

Litch

For me we are still missing a big slice of quality. Yep preseason and I get that but we need a top draw CM and I would argue another forward.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've just caught up on the goals, red card and a bit of the thread. The verdict seems to be: good work-out at high altitude, good goals, lack of width an issue (including lack of quality wing and FB options), some more shite finishing?

The latter two concerns are nothing new. As we've not been linked with any new FBs I'm hoping to Christ Shaw gets back on track this season, as for the finishing we scored plenty against Galaxy so I'm not overly concerned. I hope Martial in particular doesn't dwell too much on his miss as he can't afford another poor season.