2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Besides already in the bank we have hazard and morata etc sales in the bank.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You seem to be under the notion he still "throws his money around", he doesn't especially not in transfers.

After the first few years the transfers went quite quiet for half a decade (until the Torres/Luiz January). Between 2007-2010 we spent on average just over £20m a summer and that was gross. We spent big again in 2012 due to the CL win money but beyond that and January11 we certainly weren't "big spending" post 2006 until recent years with the TV deals coming in (which is allowing even newly promoted to go £100m summer sprees).

As for the window yes I do believe we will spend regardless of CL football and we will have no problem attracting players. The last time we missed out on CL football we got Jorginho and Kovacic from CL clubs while up against CL clubs for his signature and the time before that we got Kante and Luiz (also from CL clubs) while attracting one of the most high profile managers in the game.

Furthermore I don't think replacing Hazard is the problem, we are solving that by going down a more collective responsibility route (something that is more than evident in pre season), there's no main man and more equal responsibility for goals and attacking play (a bit like our team under Mou 1.0 although obviously way of that level) and I think in CHO and Pulisic we could have top players in those areas for years. Where we lack is fullback and striker departments (put it this way, replace Azpi and Emerson with Walker and prime Rose and we walse into top three even with losing Hazard and a striker issue, that's how much a difference I believe dynamic attacking fullbacks would make).

No, I don't think he does, he's gradually started to lessen his backing.

Your squad is still one of the most expensive in the league, I believe the 3rd or 4th most .. costing almost twice as much as ours. And the newly promoted clubs go on splurges because they have to build up new squads capable of surviving in the premier league.

Jorginho I believe you got because of the Sarri connection, and who else was seriously in for Kovacic? You got him on a decent loan deal. And of course you can attract players, you still have a mahoosive wage bill and money talks, but replacing a player like Hazard is going to be tough, and he pretty much carried you to top 4 last season.

It is a problem, and will be. If you haven't worked that out already you will do. Replacing a genuinely world class talent in the team who is the man everyone turns to when the game is hardest is a fecking bitch, and we faced the same thing with Bale. More collective responsibility etc are nice words, but at the end of the day gold dust is almost irreplaceable and none of your other attacking talents have half of what Hazard has going for him. You're going to struggle big time for goals and assists imo, and will struggle in particular to break sides down without his magic. You need players like CHO to step up big time and I'm not convinced they're capable.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No, I don't think he does, he's gradually started to lessen his backing.

Your squad is still one of the most expensive in the league, I believe the 3rd or 4th most .. costing almost twice as much as ours. And the newly promoted clubs go on splurges because they have to build up new squads capable of surviving in the premier league.

Jorginho I believe you got because of the Sarri connection, and who else was seriously in for Kovacic? You got him on a decent loan deal. And of course you can attract players, you still have a mahoosive wage bill and money talks, but replacing a player like Hazard is going to be tough, and he pretty much carried you to top 4 last season.

It is a problem, and will be. If you haven't worked that out already you will do. Replacing a genuinely world class talent in the team who is the man everyone turns to when the game is hardest is a fecking bitch, and we faced the same thing with Bale. More collective responsibility etc are nice words, but at the end of the day gold dust is almost irreplaceable and none of your other attacking talents have half of what Hazard has going for him. You're going to struggle big time for goals and assists imo, and will struggle in particular to break sides down without his magic. You need players like CHO to step up big time and I'm not convinced they're capable.
Although you undoubtedly missed Bale's magic weren't you only a few points worse off results wise the year after? If we do the same i would take that and will probably be enough for a top 4 challenge minimum.

I have no doubt we will miss Hazard but our results without him the last couple of years give me some hope it may have a similar effect to Henry leaving Arsenal (when in 07/08 literally every single attacking player improved without playing second fiddle to Henry) as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum which would be Suarez leaving Liverpool, maybe i'm just trying to convince myself however pre season does look quite hopeful but guess we'll soon see.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Although you undoubtedly missed Bale's magic weren't you only a few points worse off results wise the year after? If we do the same i would take that and will probably be enough for a top 4 challenge minimum.

I have no doubt we will miss Hazard but our results without him the last couple of years give me some hope it may have a similar effect to Henry leaving Arsenal (when in 07/08 literally every single attacking player improved without playing second fiddle to Henry) as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum which would be Suarez leaving Liverpool, maybe i'm just trying to convince myself however pre season does look quite hopeful but guess we'll soon see.
We were, but we also ended up 10 points behind top 4 and in general were a significantly worse team. I think our points tally was a little flattering that season and the top six in general gathered more points than the season before.

Also, although our transfer splurge ended up a bit crap, we still brought in a couple who made a difference, Eriksen in particular. I know Pulisic is joining you but I have my doubts about him from what I saw at Dortmund, I guess we'll see what he can do. I also don't think you have attacking players on the same level as Arsenal did back then, you have a decent supporting cast but nobody that jumps out to me as one who will step up and be one of the best in the prem yet .. CHO maybe? Seems to have some X factor but eh, not sure.

I think top 4 will be a serious struggle for you. If you make it, fair play and Lampard is clearly the real deal.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
If Roman sells the club tomorrow he will more than double his "outrageous" investment. That says a lot about how the club is run and why our success is not down to only money.

If Roman sells the club tomorrow, we still can spend big within our own means, as we do for almost a decade now. Roman's investment in English football sparked an era of great success for the PL. I very much doubt Spurs would have played a CL final if PL was still miles behind Seria A and La Liga.

If Roman sells the club tomorrow, a player with same offers (money, playing time guarantees, etc.) from both Spurs and Chelsea would pick us 9/10 times for obvious reasons.

It is easy to see only the money, but we've come a long way, and to do that is not easy. We have an ex Legend coaching us and hopefully driving us to new achievements, that says a lot about our progress as a club. It is never boring to be a Chelsea fan, believe me :)

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm not surprised to see the uber tedious and dim @SquishyMcSquish attempting to troll the Chelsea thread. Notice how long his posts are and how few coherent points he actually makes. He tries to kill you by just replying with walls of text full of utter shite. Every time he posts anything about Chelsea just take into account that he has supported a 'big' club his whole life and the only 2 major trophies he has seen his team win is the Carling Cup in 2008 and the Audi Cup this week.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not surprised to see the uber tedious and dim @SquishyMcSquish attempting to troll the Chelsea thread. Notice how long his posts are and how few coherent points he actually makes. He tries to kill you by just replying with walls of text full of utter shite. Every time he posts anything about Chelsea just take into account that he has supported a 'big' club his whole life and the only 2 major trophies he has seen his team win is the Carling Cup in 2008 and the Audi Cup this week.
It's so funny how much I obviously get to you, to the point where you have to fall back on personal insults. What is this, like the third time you've raged at my posts? Attack the post not the poster, buddo.

I get that as a Chelsea fan English might not be your strong-point, but a few lines doesn't equal a wall of text. Nor does a couple of paragraphs. And perhaps I don't make coherent points, but at least I make points .. which I'm yet to ever actually see you even do.

Also yawn at trophy banter from a Chelsea fan. You were no different till your club won the lottery, it's nothing to be proud of.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
And then they hired a championship manager to try and save the day .. should be a joy to watch them fail
It's so funny how much I obviously get to you, to the point where you have to fall back on personal insults. What is this, like the third time you've raged at my posts? Attack the post not the poster, buddo.

I get that as a Chelsea fan English might not be your strong-point, but a few lines doesn't equal a wall of text. Nor does a couple of paragraphs. And perhaps I don't make coherent points, but at least I make points .. which I'm yet to ever actually see you even do.

Also yawn at trophy banter from a Chelsea fan. You were no different till your club won the lottery, it's nothing to be proud of.
I actually enjoy it when you try and denigrade us because it always ends up with one of us the happier come the end of the season. Buddo - I didn't attack you, I just concluded from the series of posts on his thread you are those 2 things and any rational person would do so as well.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I actually enjoy it when you try and denigrade us because it always ends up with one of us the happier come the end of the season. Buddo - I didn't attack you, I just concluded from the series of posts on his thread you are those 2 things and any rational person would do so aswell.
It always ends up? It's happened once .. one singular season.

Yeah, you didn't attack me, you just levelled two personal insults at me. That's not attacking at all.

And I could say the same about you based on your fecking pointless, uninteresting posts in other threads. You're also a massive hypocrite who cries foul for trolling but you're in Spurs threads trying to get some shit tier banter in about trophies every 5 seconds because I upset you that badly.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Yeah, you didn't attack me, you just levelled two personal insults at me. That's not attacking at all.
When I go into the Spurs threads and take the piss (PS. it's really easy) it's a quickie, 1 or 2 line dig. I expect to get a few pats of turd thrown my way, it's part and parcel of the football forums. I don't and won't ever complain about others insulting me on here. You generally do a similar trolly comment but when someone inevitably bites, you then try and bore them to death with endless, contrarian walls of text. If calling someone dim for constantly posting nonsense is "attacking the poster" then I'll take my warning points.

Amarsdd

Hopefully someone can answer me this. Why is Chelsea getting so much leeway in terms of criticism/chances in the upcoming season from most journos? Everyone I’ve seen seem to think Chelsea will finish in CL position at the same time saying United won’t and some even saying United could finish below Leicester and Wolves. Just in terms of the facts, Chelsea have lost their best player, a player who has carried them for most of the last decade. They have a new and inexperienced manager, even more so than Ole. They are unable to improve their squad that barely finished 4th last season. And they have Giroud as main goal scorer. So what gives? Why are the journos optimistic about their season?

BigBebe

Hopefully someone can answer me this. Why is Chelsea getting so much leeway in terms of criticism/chances in the upcoming season from most journos? Everyone I’ve seen seem to think Chelsea will finish in CL position at the same time saying United won’t and some even saying United could finish below Leicester and Wolves. Just in terms of the facts, Chelsea have lost their best player, a player who has carried them for most of the last decade. They have a new and inexperienced manager, even more so than Ole. They are unable to improve their squad that barely finished 4th last season. And they have Giroud as main goal scorer. So what gives? Why are the journos optimistic about their season?
Because it's Lamps innit? The journos love Lamps.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Could you link me an article where we our chances are getting bigged up? You said "most journos", could you name a few?

We finished 3rd last season, how is that "barely 4th"?

As for our squad compared to last season, we've lost Hazard and Higuain but added Pulisic, Zouma, Batshuayi, Mount, Abraham, Tomori and James. Obviously losing Hazard is a huge blow but we're not going into the season with last season's squad minus Hazard.

It's all relative as well and can be spun if you want to be negative; Spurs have bought 1 midfielder after selling 1 full back. Arsenal 1 player and their captain is training with the kids after refusing to play. Man United may have spent £160 million but its on 2 kids and slabhead and they still have Lukaku leaking club info and Pogba staring at the phone waiting for Zidane's name to pop up so he can get the feck out.

A couple of years aside, it's always been that way. I think it's just a lack of interest. They fill space with a few meaningless comments on Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs because they have to, before moving on to Liverpool's 19th title and St. Pep's quadruple. Then they come to us, the golden egg.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Does it? They finished in 3rd last season, effectively 7 points clear of United - it won't be easy to displace them from top 4.
Losing Hazard will hurt them too much I think. Altough I will admit Chelsea have always had backbone when it matters. Positives are they'll blood some youth this year. If they can produce a few gems you just never know.

My prediction is they'll finish 6th, but the warning signs will be there to watch out for them the following season.

How do you rate them this season?

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Couldn't give a feck about you finishing a meaningless place above us when we were in the final of the biggest competition in club football and you were in the emmerdale cup.
Didn't win it though, did you? Didn't even last 30 seconds. Choked.

I absolutely believe that you're not bothered about finishing below us - you're probably used to it. As for the "Emmerdale Cup", I bet you wouldn't call it that in front of Bill Nicholson's family or Steve Perryman. It's arguably the biggest European Trophy in your club's history.

I also understand why you get shirty about "trophy banter". It's not like Spurs haven't made it to the latter stages in tournaments, but more often than not, there seems to be someone in your way.

2019 Champions League Final - Lost to Liverpool
2019 League Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea
2018 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Manchester United
2017 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea
2017 Premier League - Runner up to Chelsea
2016 Premier League - Denied by 10th Place, already on the beach Chelsea
2015 League Cup Final - Lost to Chelsea
2012 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea

All the same though, congrats for "putting the pressure on", etc.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Losing Hazard will hurt them too much I think. Altough I will admit Chelsea have always had backbone when it matters. Positives are they'll blood some youth this year. If they can produce a few gems you just never know.

My prediction is they'll finish 6th, but the warning signs will be there to watch out for them the following season.

How do you rate them this season?
It's all relative to the teams around them, so I'm going to wait until the transfer window has closed and the season about to kick off before making predictions about who will finish where in the top 6 .

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Didn't win it though, did you? Didn't even last 30 seconds. Choked.

I absolutely believe that you're not bothered about finishing below us - you're probably used to it. As for the "Emmerdale Cup", I bet you wouldn't call it that in front of Bill Nicholson's family or Steve Perryman. It's arguably the biggest European Trophy in your club's history.

I also understand why you get shirty about "trophy banter". It's not like Spurs haven't made it to the latter stages in tournaments, but more often than not, there seems to be someone in your way.

2019 Champions League Final - Lost to Liverpool
2019 League Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea
2018 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Manchester United
2017 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea
2017 Premier League - Runner up to Chelsea
2016 Premier League - Denied by 10th Place, already on the beach Chelsea
2015 League Cup Final - Lost to Chelsea
2012 FA Cup Semi Final - Lost to Chelsea

All the same though, congrats for "putting the pressure on", etc.

Yeah, we choked against the team who finished miles above either of us in terms of points and beat Barcelona 4-0 to get to the final. It's not like they're just better than us and were favourites.

I don't care because the difference between 3rd/4th is meaningless, as long as we got top four I was content. Obviously I was more interested in the champions league final than finishing ahead of you. And yes, congratulations for finishing ahead of us a lot with twice our spending, a far larger wage budget etc etc. And I don't really care about what happened in history, the cup right now is more or less a joke til the semis/finals .. you faced a bunch of teams who probably pay their players less than you paid Hazard, then you faced Frankfurt and Arsenal.

I'm not shirty, it's just boring banter. We obviously struggle to win trophies .. although congrats for mentioning when you beat us in the league, you know because had we beat you we definitely would have won the league.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
When I go into the Spurs threads and take the piss (PS. it's really easy) it's a quickie, 1 or 2 line dig. I expect to get a few pats of turd thrown my way, it's part and parcel of the football forums. I don't and won't ever complain about others insulting me on here. You generally do a similar trolly comment but when someone inevitably bites, you then try and bore them to death with endless, contrarian walls of text. If calling someone dim for constantly posting nonsense is "attacking the poster" then I'll take my warning points.
Yep, endless contrarian walls of texts .. i.e a couple of paragraphs or a few lines. Again I know you're a Chelsea fan so short, simple insults hurled from the terrace are basically all you can handle, but that doesn't constitute endless. You may wish to consult a dictionary in the future.

But hey, it's cool. I clearly get to you, maybe it's because you know deep down what I say about Chelsea is true?

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Replacing a genuinely world class talent in the team who is the man everyone turns to when the game is hardest is a fecking bitch, and we faced the same thing with Bale. More collective responsibility etc are nice words, but at the end of the day gold dust is almost irreplaceable and none of your other attacking talents have half of what Hazard has going for him. You're going to struggle big time for goals and assists imo, and will struggle in particular to break sides down without his magic. You need players like CHO to step up big time and I'm not convinced they're capable.
Bale I would say was more difficult to replace because I think his peak 12-18 months were at a higher and more decisive level than Hazard had in the PL and I don't think the "supporting cast" that Bale left behind was as good as what Chelsea are left with after Hazard's departure.

i don't think we'll struggle for goals as much as people think. We were overly reliant on Hazard and a lot of our play was also slowed down due to his playing style. I think people not watching us week in and week out it is easy dipping in and out of Chelsea games to think Hazard was brilliant all the time. He wasn't. In a 38 game league season he would usually have 5-8 games where he would be totally ineffective. (probably even casuals who had him in their FPL team would attest to this)

Let's see at the end of the season. In the last 5 seasons we have scored in reverse order 63, 62, 85, 59 and 73 league goals, an average of 68.4 goals per season. I think we'll be in and around that average and actually think it will be defensively that will end up potentially costing us a top four spot rather than offensively.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
@SquishyMcSquish,

I'll have to ignore all the nonsense posted above with such bitterness and just ask you to worry more about Pochettinho era coming to an end this season and less about how Chelsea will deal without Hazard.

You have a week to back your manager before it turns to sh*t because without him your chances of "applying the pressure" will decrease dramatically.

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
It's all relative to the teams around them, so I'm going to wait until the transfer window has closed and the season about to kick off before making predictions about who will finish where in the top 6 .
Fair enough. But Hazard is key for this prediction. I've also seen enough of Giroud to know what to expect of him as well I guess.

I suppose the more important context is also predict the coming season to be close point wise from 3rd to 6th again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy when oppos fight amongst themselves. Is that weird?

You've got Chelsea, Arsenal, Glaston and Spurs fans at war. Only good things can come from this.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

So changes from last time they had a first team number (via transfermarkt so if anything is wrong, blame them):

Christensen: 27 => 4
Abraham: 19 => 9
Willian: 22 => 10 (deserved imo)
Zouma: 5 => 15 (Jorginho took the #5 shirt last season, Zouma was out on loan)
Mount: N/A => 19
Pulisic: 22 (big shoes to fill)
James: N/A => 24
Tomori: 31 => 29
Cumming: 52 => 31

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy when oppos fight amongst themselves. Is that weird?

You've got Chelsea, Arsenal, Glaston and Spurs fans at war. Only good things can come from this.
When have Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs fans not been at war?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Yep, endless contrarian walls of texts .. i.e a couple of paragraphs or a few lines. Again I know you're a Chelsea fan so short, simple insults hurled from the terrace are basically all you can handle, but that doesn't constitute endless. You may wish to consult a dictionary in the future.
endless(adj): infinitely great in number.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
endless(adj): infinitely great in number.
Those aren't walls of texts, most of those posts are a few lines/a paragraph long.

Endless being like a day seems a bit of an exaggeration, but you do you.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Those aren't walls of texts, most of those posts are a few lines/a paragraph long.

Endless being like a day seems a bit of an exaggeration, but you do you.
I don't know about you, but I see over 25 pages (it stops at 25) worth of posts you've made about Chelsea in the last year.

TheLord

I think Chelsea will finish within CL places this season. Chaos gets the best out of them. And a new manager always seems to win a trophy or two.

Yes, Hazard is impossible to replace, and goals won’t come easy without his creativity. It will be tons of scrappy 1-0 s for Chelsea this season, I reckon.

A lot depends on how Lampard nurtures the incredibly talented youngsters in the squad. Kante back in his defensive midfield role will be the most important player.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't know about you, but I see over 25 pages (it stops at 25) worth of posts you've made about Chelsea in the last year.
I'm pretty sure there are non-Spurs supporting fans who have made similar numbers of posts in the Spurs thread, are those endless as well?

If my posts about Chelsea upset you so much, stick me on ignore and stop crying about it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I'm pretty sure there are non-Spurs supporting fans who have made similar numbers of posts in the Spurs thread, are those endless as well?

If my posts about Chelsea upset you so much, stick me on ignore and stop crying about it.
I occassionally read your diatribe but I mostly just skip over your ramblings. You're the one who was essentially calling for the mods to give me a warning because I called you uber tedious and dim. Perhaps you should put me on ignore, because I will never put anyone on this forum on ignore and I will keep highlighting your agendaism regardless.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I occassionally read your diatribe but I mostly just skip over your ramblings. You're the one who was essentially calling for the mods to give me a warning because I called you uber tedious and dim. Perhaps you should put me on ignore, because I will never put anyone on this forum on ignore and I will keep highlighting your agendaism regardless.
That's nice.

I wasn't calling for anything. If I wanted you to be warned I would have reported you, which I didn't. All I did was tell you that you probably shouldn't be resorting to petty little personal digs because you're hurt that I said mean things about Chelsea.

Nah, it's funny seeing you get properly wound up and then try and disguise it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
The endless replies to always get the last say before the other poster just gives up is what makes you tedious. I can't be arsed replying to an obsessive. You win.