2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I've actually googled to see if my off-the-cuff, stupid remark has any basis in reality because some spectre of a memory was bothering me, and true enough, there are no penguins native to Alaska, or indeed anywhere in the Northern hemisphere apart from the Galapagos penguin. I hope you all appreciate this information bomb.
Well if penguins are running the count ... and there are no penguins ... explains why didn’t squat is happening!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I'm no Trump fan but I’ve noticed that the BBC seem very biased against him - aren’t they meant to stay impartial?
Are they supposed to be balanced as he tries to stop legal votes being counted because they voted for the other guy? There used to be a name for leaders who wanted to stop democratic elections - I think the media are being far too restrained in not calling Trump the authoritarian dicktator he’s trying to become.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Are they supposed to be balanced as he tries to stop legal votes being counted because they voted for the other guy? There used to be a name for leaders who wanted to stop democratic elections - I think the media are being far too restrained in not calling Trump the authoritarian dicktator he’s trying to become.
If he was a UK politician they absolutely would.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Would he really be expected to lay out any evidence in public? If he has such evidence wouldn’t he do this via lawyers, etc?
Are you well?

He has spent months setting up this mail in vote fraud fantasy, got his cronies to screw up the US mail and disallow the counting of postal votes before election day all to play this fraud bullshit. And you suck it all up. Well done.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I hope they dont because it will one day force them to change who they are for the better. At somepoint they will lose Texas and then it will be pretty much curtains for the GOP. The lower socio economic areas of the US will literally be funneled into the middle of the country and marginalized.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
It's bullshit until there is a sniff of evidence. It's clear he has none.

You do know this is what he does right? The public vote with Hillary, the 2018 votes, the fecking EMMY awards when they didnt give his Apprentice show an award - he says its rigged every time. He even said in advance if he lost to Hillary its going to be rigged.

He even said in 2016, "I'll accept the results of the election, if I win". This has been a common trend his entire public life. He's a spoiled child who is used to getting what he wants because his money can usually get him what he wants. And he cannot deal with failure and rejection. The problem is, he's a spoiled child where millions of Americans are hanging on his every word and some are even willing to take up arms to defend his bullshit claims.

InfiniteBoredom

I hope they dont because it will one day force them to change who they are for the better. At somepoint they will lose Texas and then it will be pretty much curtains for the GOP.
It’s a joke riffing on the 2016 post-mortem of ‘Democrats need to reach out and understand Trump voters’.

It just doesn’t work. The battle lines are set.

RoadTrip

US elections effectively have become who can sufficiently motivate their base to ensure a higher turnout of their folks to win an election. Currently, there is no real effort by either to reach across to try and get people from the other party to switch over. Biden has to an extent but it’s so polarised that it doesn’t have anywhere near the impact of motivating your base.

RoadTrip

No chance. It would be treated with the utter ridicule it deserves. It also wouldn’t happen here - we’re heading down America’s slippery slope but this shows we still have a fair way to go.
I agree. As bad as the Conservatives are, they are still probably more central than even Democrats in the US.

And as much as I hate BoJo, I just can’t imagine him claiming fraud if they lost the next GE whenever that comes.

DOTA

No chance. It would be treated with the utter ridicule it deserves. It also wouldn’t happen here - we’re heading down America’s slippery slope but this shows we still have a fair way to go.
I have absolutely no idea what gives you this level of faith in the beeb.

Siorac

US elections effectively have become who can sufficiently motivate their base to ensure a higher turnout of their folks to win an election. Currently, there is no real effort by either to reach across to try and get people from the other party to switch over. Biden has to an extent but it’s so polarised that it doesn’t have anywhere near the impact of motivating your base.
The rural-urban divide is now the dominant political factor - and not just in the US, the same trend is absolutely clear all over Europe. Right-wing parties lose cities by big margins while left-wing parties are getting trounced in rural areas.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have absolutely no idea what gives you this level of faith in the beeb.
And I’m confused about your lack of faith. There’s a difference between trying so hard to be balanced that occasionally give platforms to bad faith actors and somehow failing to take politicians to task when they are flat out bullshitting. The BBC call out lying politicians all the time, so why wouldn’t they do this in the hypothetical scenario you’re discussing now?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I agree. As bad as the Conservatives are, they are still probably more central than even Democrats in the US.

And as much as I hate BoJo, I just can’t imagine him claiming fraud if they lost the next GE whenever that comes.
It’s the cult of personality that isn’t close to being like it is in the States. We’re still exceptionally cynical of people on all sides. Boris was thought of as mini-Trump but they’ll dump him and make him the scapegoat for lockdown etc. Trump could shoot someone on live TV and 40% of the Country would still support him. There’s no equivalent for that in the UK.

DOTA

And I’m confused about your lack of faith. There’s a difference between attempting to be balanced resulting in platforms being given to bad faith actors and failure to take politicians to task when they are flat out bullshitting. The BBC have done the latter frequently, so why wouldn’t they do this in the hypothetical scenario you’re discussing now?
They'd challenge the bullshitters to provide evidence for their made up bullshit and challenge those denying the bullshit to prove it isn't true. Like they do every time.

Dan_F

Georgia is insane. I'd feel like a right dick if I was too lazy to vote/assumed it was a given etc.
That’s why I don’t understand Trump’s moaning about the polls (Poles). If anything, a heavy democrat leaning poll would mean that Democrat supporters take it for granted, and engages the republicans to get out and vote.

Precaution

This feels like going to a party and waiting for the Mrs who has tried on every piece of clothing and redone her makeup like 6 times already, yes dear you don't look like a fat clown pig now C'MON

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You absolutely cannot blame the Dems.
One is a party who convinced itself the other's candidate was not born in America and was a Muslim terrorist.
The GOP has gone off the rails. I am biased like most are in this thread but this is an inescapable fact. The GOP is too far gone. There is a limit to how far a party must reach over. Biden has gone as far as any sane politician should.

Status
Not open for further replies.