2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Could be true. Imagine if Pfizer had announced the results a week earlier and it had the Comey effect. I'd expect a few riots at that point. There's no way Pfizer ignored the political implications of the timing of their analysis and release.
Has it actually been proven that Comey effect was a real thing? I can't imagine the states Clinton lost was due to some folks not turning up or switching to Trump because of a latter by FBI chief.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Has it actually been proven that Comey effect was a real thing? I can't imagine the states Clinton lost was due to some folks not turning up or switching to Trump because of a latter by FBI chief.
Trump won 2016 by basically a handful of votes in a few states, and there was a very clear polling effect from the Comey letter. Not a big one, and who knows if it really mattered in the end, but it's at least plausible. We think of Clinton's loss as a terrible loss (and in many ways it was), but she got very close to being President. Every little bit might have counted.

GiddyUp

I have no idea what will happen next, but one thing for sure is that anti Trump people live is a serious echo chamber, and we still have no empathy as to why 70m Americans voted for him, despite 4 years of what we consider as heinous indecency.

When Trump was elected, Democrats all committed to 'understanding' this Trump coalition, so that it could better meet their needs and reduce its size. And yet Trump's election last week proved that this movement has simply grown bigger.

We may find his post election shenanigans as ridiculous but 70m Americans truly believe they have been cheated in this election and will include academics, judges, military and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if this election was rendered null and void and who knows what the subsequent chaos would bring.
Look at the bills a democratic house passed. The Republicans passed a tax cut for the rich and put up judges that are just as likely to feck over the majority of that 70 million. What more can be done except giving in to a plutocratic theocracy. How about Republican voters try to understand where the majority of citizens in this country are coming from. They have after all lost the popular vote multiple times.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: What, because she's tall?
I think her reasoning was something about there being a bump in her dresses. She showed me a picture and I saw no bump. It’s mental stuff and not something I have ever seen or heard before from a live person.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I think her reasoning was something about there being a bump in her dresses. She showed me a picture and I saw no bump. It’s mental stuff and not something I have ever seen or heard before from a live person.
There's a good sized bump in the back of her dress.:drool:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah basically what @nimic said. The fact that it had a clear impact on the polling suggests it was one of those moments that had a real impact on the election, but then there's been issues with the polling so hard to know how much of that was artificial. No other way we could test the theory as far as I'm aware, other than asking people retrospectively, which is probably even more prone to error.

I don't think it won Trump the election but even just having an impact on it is a big deal. If I was the CEO of Pfizer I'd be avoiding that like the plague!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Michelle is trans, Barack is a crack-smoking prostitute at the back of the limo, also Barack eats dog. Am I forgetting something?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Michelle is trans, Barack is a crack-smoking prostitute at the back of the limo, also Barack eats dog. Am I forgetting something?
According to my source, they’re also satanist pedophiles.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They're all gonna be in thrall to him for ages, aren't they

MTF

It's only going to end if someone in the GOP does publicly stand against him in some similar circumstances, the tweets+call-ins to Fox news bitching about that politician does happen, and that politician still comes out on top of whatever election or primary they're running in. Then everyone would start to perceive his voice as meaningless. But a challenge could go the other way and the politician in question loses, and the his influence is only reinforced.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The entire GOP strategy of supporting Trump despite his loss is tied to GA. They have to keep him on board for long enough so he helps turn out the vote on 5 January.

Cloud7

Sir Richard Branson seems like the kinda dude you'd drink mirmosas over breakfast with then he'd take you on some death-defying adrenaline stuff then have you back for steak and lobster with margaritas as Mariah Carey sings (in-person of course).
Didn't he cut a ridiculous amount of his employees loose during Covid, while trying to seek out money from the Government?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It would be a constitutional crisis second only to the secession of the Confederate States. I hope that there will be enough pushback from republicans to keep it from materializing, but I do wonder if there would be any backstop if they were to go through. I know that in many other countries that do have okish electoral processes but a military with history of political involvement, by now those militaries would at least be making noises in the background and putting out signals in the press as to where they're positioned. The apolitical stance of the US military is historically admirable, but you wonder what the current leaders think of this situation. The problem with doing anything either way is that it the path of no return. If the military ever intervenes in politics, it will end up doing so again and again.
From what little I've seen and heard, Biden won the military vote as well. High-level leadership (talking O-6 on up to the very top of the DoD) most likely was split in support but I think the overwhelming sentiment is to get this clown and court of jesters out and a new, more stable administration in (read into that however you will). A new strategy will certainly help repair/sustain relations internationally. I've heard of the constant apology tours our DoS and commanders are performing overseas.

MrMarcello

Rob said:
She was also convinced that Michelle Obama is actually a man.
I tried asking for evidence for all these accusations. There was none of course, except youtube videos.
And this was in Denmark, a place where Trump is hated by virtually everyone.

:lol: What, because she's tall?
I find there's a far more sinister angle to this, basically short of calling her an ape or gorilla. The shit I've heard from some fellow whites when "joking" about black people is beyond racist. It's dehumanizing.

MrMarcello

Trump won 2016 by basically a handful of votes in a few states, and there was a very clear polling effect from the Comey letter. Not a big one, and who knows if it really mattered in the end, but it's at least plausible. We think of Clinton's loss as a terrible loss (and in many ways it was), but she got very close to being President. Every little bit might have counted.
The twenty year hit job by right-wing politics played more into detesting Hillary. The Comey think may have a slight effect but I figure that release point most were already voting for 1) Hillary, 2) Trump, 3) other, 4) not voting. Like you said, this may have moved the needle ever so slightly.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

The entire GOP strategy of supporting Trump despite his loss is tied to GA. They have to keep him on board for long enough so he helps turn out the vote on 5 January.
How should Democrats play this against the voting population?

How will Democrats play this against the voting population?

Bloomberg and others should put a ton of money into this and call out the likes of Kochs, Mercers, others pouring dark money in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How should Democrats play this against the voting population?

How will Democrats play this against the voting population?

Bloomberg and others should put a ton of money into this and call out the likes of Kochs, Mercers, others pouring dark money in.
The Dems can't really do much here other than invest heavily in the GA races. At some point next month, all states will certify their results and the EC will meet to finalize the election. There's a good chance Trump will melt down and do something silly between now and then (probably have a massive divorce from the GOP), which will suit the Dems nicely since GA can't have a high turnout on 5 Jan without Trump's full support.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Sir Richard Branson seems like the kinda dude you'd drink mirmosas over breakfast with then he'd take you on some death-defying adrenaline stuff then have you back for steak and lobster with margaritas as Mariah Carey sings (in-person of course).
Branson is an absolute apology of a human being. Case in point of a young man being a trail blazing opportunity spotting genius.... evolving into a floppy cock.

ChaddyP

Trumpism works for them. This is the way going forward for them. Long after trump leaves.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Women get reviled for all sorts of reasons, and being successful is a common one. A simple search provides a timeline of pictures of her, right back to when she was a tiny girl. Your female friend should be ashamed of herself.

Wittmann45

I wonder what combination the Comey letter plus the Wikileaks drop had on public sentiment/voting. I think in 2016 the idea of the "undecided" voter was a real thing and those types of events could have had a real impact on the vote, especially, as you say, considering how close the election really was, even if Trump won a big EC victory

However, I think those voters who would say Comey/Wikileaks had an effect on their decision were probably already pre-disposed to not voting for Clinton anyway

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

What's more worrying here is that this would've probably worked had the election been closer.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Women get reviled for all sorts of reasons, and being successful is a common one. A simple search provides a timeline of pictures of her, right back to when she was a tiny girl. Your female friend should be ashamed of herself.
Sure, which is why it’s so outrageously dumb. She’s not my friend, though, just a friends girlfriend.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

What's more worrying here is that this would've probably worked had the election been closer.
Insane. What do they think is going to happen? Or are they doing this to suck up to Trump whilst he's still in office?

Status
Not open for further replies.