2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Where are you located now,
California.

and when are you putting out your ground breaking research
Probably never with my skills and the increasingly hostile review process in my field. But I got a paper accepted for the next big computer vision conference. If more interested, PM me, don't want to derail the thread.

In general, I am not putting any research for Bernie's plan (outside of my field), but writing papers and reviewing them for several years (in a more exact science than economy/politics), I don't necessarily accept papers as gospel of truth, just cause they are peer-reviewed (where, by the way).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Also, Obama is super proud for converting USA in the biggest Oil producer in the world. (Funny now Biden saying he will go carbon free... bitch please)
I don’t know how much Obama had to do with it. The technology to extract shale just happened to emerge around the same time as when he became President.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In general, I am not putting any research for Bernie's plan (outside of my field), but writing papers and reviewing them for several years (in a more exact science than economy/politics), I don't necessarily accept papers as gospel of truth, just cause they are peer-reviewed (where, by the way).
Again you're putting yourself forward as the person who takes the rational, evidence based approach, yet you won't even examine the evidence presented. Rather than quibbling over whether these peer reviews are up to your standard, why don't you point the specific shortfalls in the analyses? You're all about the evidence, unlike these hero worshiping fools, right?

Fergies Gum

Oh dear. Sanders staff never even bothered to tell him that Bloomberg has quit.

A journalist just asked him about Bloomberg's departure and Sanders wasn't aware that he quit.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I never thought that Bernie would be able to accomplish 95% of the stuff he said he wants to but I was hoping that if he got elected it would signal that the people are ready to start moving in that direction.

i dont have audio rn but i think she makes the same point

Revan

Assumptionman
Again you're putting yourself forward as the person who takes the rational, evidence based approach, yet you won't even examine the evidence presented. Rather than quibbling over whether these peer reviews are up to your standard, why don't you point the specific shortfalls in the analyses? You're all about the evidence, unlike these hero worshiping fools, right?
Outside of my field, I have no idea how to judge it. What I said is that just cause it is research (even a peer-reviewed one) doesn't necessarily make it true.

My point is quite rational, if it is better and cheaper, why Bernie is not posting the numbers? And if it is cheaper, is it cheaper long term (possibly true), or short-term (very unlikely). Even if in 10-20 years it will save money, if it will be more expensive immediately, it will require extra money which can be given only by the house (and the Senate needs to approve it). It will probably also require an increase in taxes, which again needs to go over both chambers.

That was my main point, quoting a poster who said that it can be done with executive orders. It clearly cannot.

Hamnat

I don’t know how much Obama had to do with it. The technology to extract shale just happened to emerge around the same time as when he became President.
Exactly. I work for an oil company. This industry thinks Obama was the fecking devil. They absolutely and utterly couldn't stand him. They blamed him and all the regulations after Deepwater Horizon for depressing the industry for going on 6 years now.
They thought trump was some savior and would fix things and regulations. And the industry and oil prices are still depressed and slumped. All he has done is roll back a lot of Obama's environmental regulations.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A strong showing by Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Super Tuesday sparked a broad-based rally in health-care stocks Wednesday, sending United Health Group Inc. up more than 12% for its biggest one-day gain since October of 2008.

Health-care stocks have been rocked each time rival Bernie Sanders has gained ground over rivals for the Democratic nomination on fears his “Medicare for All” plan would crush private insurers and drugmakers.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...after-bidens-super-tuesday-victory-2020-03-04

Eriku

That's quite the switch. A few minutes ago you said it was going to cost mega money, now when confronted with contradictory evidence you're saying nobody knows. Isn't it curious how you always fall back to saying it's going to cost mega money, without ever explaining how the contradictory evidence is incorrect?

Here's the latest study about it:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19)33019-3/fulltext#

You and many other centrist voters put yourselves forward as the more reasoned voters, the ones who won't buy into fairytales put out by demagogues like Sanders. Any evidence put forward that contradicts your argument is flawed in unspecific ways, and the same flaws put forward your your argument are swept under the rug.

The reality is you just buy into different fairytales. The idea that Joe Biden can reach across the aisle and achieve meaningful legislation through bipartisan co-operation, when he repeatedly failed to do that alongside a more popular president in a less partisan time, is a fairytale. It's an emotional argument masquerading as a rational one. The reality is most people vote for the status quo because of fear.
It’s been annoying to see you articulate my thoughts so well in the football forums at times, and now you keep doing it in CE, ya cnut.

or +1, I guess would be the polite way to say that.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Exactly. I work for an oil company. This industry thinks Obama was the fecking devil. They absolutely and utterly couldn't stand him. They blamed him and all the regulations after Deepwater Horizon for depressing the industry for going on 6 years now.
They thought trump was some savior and would fix things and regulations. And the industry and oil prices are still depressed and slumped. All he has done is roll back a lot of Obama's environmental regulations.
Even worse then. Taking credit for something he didn't do, just like the orange clown.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
None. Florida will kill him. Unless Biden literally forgets where he is on a debate.

@crappycraperson
Bloomberg out. Acting rationally after his plan failed and his goals were threatened by him continuing.
Well obviously, there has to be a next step. That could mean he can stop, endorse Biden, make a play for super delegates or do something. He can't just act like status quo will take him to Democratic convention like the last time.

Drifter

American
After Biden’s Super Tuesday Surge, Sanders Campaign Faces Questions About African-American Support

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Am I right in thinking Bernie voters will not vote for Biden because they feel it proves the system is corrupt and stacked against them ? So there's no difference for them having Trump win or Biden ?
Not true for all Bernie voters only a subset, don't know the numbers as to how big that is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Am I right in thinking Bernie voters will not vote for Biden because they feel it proves the system is corrupt and stacked against them ? So there's no difference for them having Trump win or Biden ?
Many of them aren't even Democrats, so it wouldn't come as a surprise if they sulked on the sidelines. Others who understand the damage a 2nd Trump term would do, will participate.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
After Biden’s Super Tuesday Surge, Sanders Campaign Faces Questions About African-American Support

Stupid premise for a video

1. His problem seems to be with older black voters
2. If they lean towards Biden because he was with Obama, little Sanders can do about that
3. If they are more "pragmatic", little Sanders can do about that, except be less Sanders

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Polls showed only 54% would definitely vote for the Democrat this time. I’d expect it to be much higher in reality, but there’s a lot of anger out there.
very variable depending on which poll it is. like the 2nd choice qs.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Perhaps it's encouraging that almost all of them say they will vote for the eventual nominee no matter who it is
But ideally you would want the eventual nominee to be as close as possible to you're own politics(For Warren supporters that would be Bernie), right ? Although if anything this points to the fact most democratic voters see these primaries as just a bit of fun, it doesn't matter in the end because we are all democrats . I'm not sure how good this sort of blind party unity actual is(Although I'm not saying the Bernie or Bust idea is better, it certainly makes no sense this time around).

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Stupid premise for a video

1. His problem seems to be with older black voters
2. If they lean towards Biden because he was with Obama, little Sanders can do about that
3. If they are more "pragmatic", little Sanders can do about that, except be less Sanders
Agree with this. I think one thing that is ignored too much is how many older black voters probably voted Trump as well. Just based on my environment and hearing about it - I know it was significant. And a lot of that support won't be pulled away by Bernie.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Can't be a complete surprise since the majority section of Warren support is white liberal women who were Hillary supporters in 2016, though even within that I know of some who will vote for Bernie ahead of Biden. Bernie needs Warren endorsement to stand any chance IMO. I don't think it will help him but it is a must for any chance.
agree. it'll at least give him some good headlines for a bit. but she has more to lose by endorsing now.
the constant regret is it would have made a world of difference 2 days earlier. but the real doomer fuel is that she probably hates him more than she likes her plans.

Hamnat

Agree with this. I think one thing that is ignored too much is how many older black voters probably voted Trump as well. Just based on my environment and hearing about it - I know it was significant. And a lot of that support won't be pulled away by Bernie.
You would be wrong. Look at the exit polls from last night. Black voters want trump GONE. Overwhelmingly. Over even agreeing with the candidates policies. Sanders isnt "hated" like trump is. He just isnt selling himself to these voters as the candidate that can get rid of trump.

Black people know a racist when we see one. He can sprinkle a few token black people in pictures and ads and claim there is some overwhelming love of him. But the reality in actual voting is all you need to know. GOP go out of their way to limit minority representation and make it harder for us to vote. Read some of the articles of the long lines in republican led states last night. That's the only way to get through the gerrymandering and roadblocks.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
from reddit -
Bloomberg spent $676 Million of his own money for 1,693,363 votes (source: AP, as of writing), which works out to about $400 per vote.

he can run a UBI with his money.

adexkola

Supports
You would be wrong. Look at the exit polls from last night. Black voters want trump GONE. Overwhelmingly. Over even agreeing with the candidates policies. Sanders isnt "hated" like trump is. He just isnt selling himself to these voters as the candidate that can get rid of trump.

Black people know a racist when we see one. He can sprinkle a few token black people in pictures and ads and claim there is some overwhelming love of him. But the reality in actual voting is all you need to know.
If Sander's win in the first 3 states couldn't convince black voters in SC of his chances, nothing else can.

I also feel this thread isn't the proper place for a full breakdown of this phenomenon. All I'll say is that we in NY are perplexed at our southern uncles and aunts.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Black people know a racist when we see one. He can sprinkle a few token black people in pictures and ads and claim there is some overwhelming love of him. But the reality in actual voting is all you need to know. GOP go out of their way to limit minority representation and make it harder for us to vote. Read some of the articles of the long lines in republican led states last night. That's the only way to get through the gerrymandering and roadblocks.
Let me add an important part to what I said - older well-off black voters. I work with and know quite a few African Americans around here and every single I know who came from some money has told me their parents or grandparents voted for Trump. Of course this is in Michigan and my exposure is in an urban area so it's probably in no way indicative of I. E. What the sentiment is in other areas/states.

Hamnat

If Sander's win in the first 3 states couldn't convince black voters in SC of his chances, nothing else can.

I also feel this thread isn't the proper place for a full breakdown of this phenomenon. All I'll say is that we in NY are perplexed at our southern uncles and aunts.
The amount of people that waited to make their decision till the last minute. Then overwhelmingly went for Biden means Sanders can't close the deal. He says he can build this multi generational coalition. This massive turnout.

Let me add an important part to what I said - older well-off black voters. I work with and know quite a few African Americans around here and every single I know who came from some money has told me their parents or grandparents voted for Trump. Of course this is in Michigan and my exposure is in an urban area so it's probably in no way indicative of I. E. What the sentiment is in other areas/states.
You don't have to guess though. There are exit polls and demographic breakdown of Trumps win are available for all to see.

Did he get a few black votes of course there are gay Republicans too for some reason. But the overall numbers dont lie.

adexkola

Supports
The amount of people that waited to make their decision till the last minute. Then overwhelmingly went for Biden means Sanders can't close the deal. He says he can build this multi generational coalition. This massive turnout.

You don't have to guess though. There are exit polls and demographic breakdown of Trumps win are available for all to see.

Did he get a few black votes of course there are gay Republicans too for some reason. But the overall numbers dont lie.
I mean, yeah, but the question is whether there's any logic to it. We don't see any, up here at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.