2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Harris would seem the safe pick here. Gavin would probably give her seat to someone like Xavier Becerra or Eric Garcetti

MarylandMUFan

It's absolutely insane that someone can assume the office of POTUS without being tested for neurological diseases by an independent and unbiased source. It should be a requirement, and the testing should be done before candidates are even allowed to start campaigning. Hopefully this will happen after 2024, because both Trump and Biden are going to be drooling messes by the end of the next term, so it doesn't matter who gets elected in that particular regard. The US will have a President with severe dementia no matter what, unless COVID-19 gets them first.
That's a good point. I believe airline pilots, police officers etc... go through a lot of testing to see if they are fit for the job but the one person who controls the nuclear codes gets nothing.

Drifter

American
Little i saw of the debate, Bernie seemed to repeat himself over Medicare For All.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Little i saw of the debate, Bernie seemed to repeat himself over Medicare For All.
It was a pretty strange debate. Both were attempting to simultaneously appear conciliatory towards the present circumstances whilst still getting the odd jab in about the other. Sanders definitely appeared to go after Biden a bit more, which is understandable since he's trying to catch up before Tuesday.

The Firestarter

It's absolutely insane that someone can assume the office of POTUS without being tested for neurological diseases by an independent and unbiased source. It should be a requirement, and the testing should be done before candidates are even allowed to start campaigning. Hopefully this will happen after 2024, because both Trump and Biden are going to be drooling messes by the end of the next term, so it doesn't matter who gets elected in that particular regard. The US will have a President with severe dementia no matter what, unless COVID-19 gets them first.
Here goes the reasoning : since its elected position the concern is that any form of restriction can be seen as a potential subversion of democracy.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Biden is showing signs of early Alzheimers, it's obvious to anyone who has had to deal with this terrible disease. The Democrats are trying to slip one past the American people by keeping Biden under wraps. If Sanders was serious about winning he would go after Biden on this issue, like I said Trump certainly will.
They explain it as him growing up with a stutter problem and therefore not confident in public debates.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Was that a problem during VP debates in 2008 and 2012?
The first time he was going against Palin, so its hard to look bad next to a train wreck, the next time he was up against Paul Ryan and it prompted a surge in google searches for Malarkey.

Fergies Gum

Wow, why do people like Harris? I can't think of one good quality she has.
The identity politics crowd desperately want a person of colour on the Biden ticket and they think Harris is the best match.

Harris has been on the national scene for over a year now, yet people will struggle to tell you what she stands for and what her most important policy proposal is. She is just another wishy washy politician.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That's why I can't imagine why she would be good as his VP running mate. It's like they are trying to figure out ways to undermine their bid.
They’re running Joe Biden, a man perfectly capable of telling a barefaced lie, insulting everyone in the room and challenging someone to a fight, all within a 5 minute interval. I think the point of ‘undermining their bid’ is far behind us.

The Firestarter

Italy being mostly single payer and suffering put a big bump in Sanders path which Biden took advantage. Also Sander's "for the future" suffered because of a "right now" crisis.
Are you for real , or really dumb? In USA it will be hundred fold worse because the disjointed system and botched testing. In Italy, everyone could get a test from the very beginning.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Italy being mostly single payer and suffering put a big bump in Sanders path which Biden took advantage. Also Sander's "for the future" suffered because of a "right now" crisis.
America is about to get a stark lesson in why healthcare is a public issue not a private one. You could have the best healthcare plan available on the market and it's absolutely useless to you if you're particularly vulnerable to the virus and a good percentage of people in your community are uninsured and have no access to tests.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
laissez-faire market fundamentalism has already failed. Right the US and the states are fully dependent on quick implementation of a bottom up social safety net. Top-down capitalism is going to cause a bigger disaster.

entropy

Putting aside how bat shit crazy this post is, can we talk about how Biden literally put out republican talking point while running as a democrat?

sport2793

Are you for real , or really dumb? In USA it will be hundred fold worse because the disjointed system and botched testing. In Italy, everyone could get a test from the very beginning.
The failure of testing in the US is not due to insurance but due to a lack of available test kits. This is due to Trump cutting funds and interfering with the CDC + lack of foresight from pharmaceutical companies to develop a high throughput solution + arrogance of Americans believing the German test to not meet our "technical standards". I say this both as a healthcare professional and biomedical researcher who understands the underlying science behind how the test works.

Insurance becomes more of an issue when you talk about delivering the test to everyone. A single payer system would streamline the process. The current system in the US makes it complicated and if Congress doesnt pass a bill making all testing free then a lot of people will be prevented from getting tested. And who can trust Congress to do anything right these days? I think if Bernie said it this way then his argument would have been more powerful yesterday.

entropy

America is about to get a stark lesson in why healthcare is a public issue not a private one. You could have the best healthcare plan available on the market and it's absolutely useless to you if you're particularly vulnerable to the virus and a good percentage of people in your community are uninsured and have no access to tests.
About to?????

The Firestarter

The failure of testing in the US is not due to insurance but due to a lack of available test kits. This is due to Trump cutting funds and interfering with the CDC + lack of foresight from pharmaceutical companies to develop a high throughput solution + arrogance of Americans believing the German test to not meet our "technical standards". I say this both as a healthcare professional and biomedical researcher who understands the underlying science behind how the test works.

Insurance becomes more of an issue when you talk about delivering the test to everyone. A single payer system would streamline the process. The current system in the US makes it complicated and if Congress doesnt pass a bill making all testing free then a lot of people will be prevented from getting tested. And who can trust Congress to do anything right these days? I think if Bernie said it this way then his argument would have been more powerful yesterday.
The second paragraph is what I was referring to. 3K for a test during a pandemic is lunacy.

There were several tests available Chinese, South Korean among the early ones. Were they below the so called american standard ? Which btw caused the first wave of test kits to be faulty, if I remember correctly.

sport2793

The second paragraph is what I was referring to. 3K for a test during a pandemic is lunacy.

There were several tests available Chinese, South Korean among the early ones. Were they below the so called american standard ? Which btw caused the first wave of test kits to be faulty, if I remember correctly.
Yep, which again highlights sheer arrogance of American medical establishment. And yes, the unwillingness to use foreign test kits in the interim led to a rush job that contaminated the first test kits. The idiocy isnt lost on many biomedical researchers here.

The Firestarter

Yep, which again highlights sheer arrogance of American medical establishment. And yes, the unwillingness to use foreign test kits in the interim led to a rush job that contaminated the first test kits. The idiocy isnt lost on many biomedical researchers here.
I surely hope one positive (pun not intended) out of this is getting away with the notion of american exceptionalism. Judging by the talking heads on tv, it still isn't the case. "Best in the world" , keeps being uttered while headlines of utter incompetence being flashed under them.

Meanwhile a South Korean company developed a test for 2 weeks that works upon 100s samples and gives results after 4 hours. And to meet global demand , had professors and PhDs sat on the production line to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.