2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just like Hillary I don't think he's being entirely truthful on this to avoid pissing off his left base before November. He'd support how Obama exactly wanted it I'd say.
Its part of his working class from Scranton schtick to pay lip service to the workers by beating up on China (hence his desire to renegotiate TPP with more pressure on China). In either case, a vast majority of his policies will be very similar to Obama's.

Drifter

American
Mourning in America

Real shame that the Democrats have gone into hiding.

Foxbatt

NATO isn't the issue in those places since its the US that is driving policy there, which would happen in either case.

Putin doesn't want to be overthrown via a domestic pro-democracy movement, so its pretty obvious he doesn't want states like the US pushing for democratic reforms through NATO or otherwise.
Why should USA or for that matter anyone else try to get involved in domestic matters of any other country? It's their business. Just like the Russians should not interfere in the internal matters of USA.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why should USA or for that matter anyone else try to get involved in domestic matters of any other country? It's their business. Just like the Russians should not interfere in the internal matters of USA.
Because the world isn't a democracy where all countries have the same rights. In fact, much of the world is run by great power competition, so it should be expected that powerful states get involved in smaller ones to project and consolidate power.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There are countless reasons imo. Country borders are just illusionary when it comes to economics, culture, technology - and clearly pathogens.

The most obvious answer is if the state next to an ally of a major nation falls into autocracy, and that autocracy threatens the ally - then the major nation should intervene, whether through diplomacy or, as a last resort, force.

The world is interconnected. Trying to pretend otherwise is not going to change that, as Trump supporters will one day realise.

Beachryan

From this article: "Anyone who has been assaulted knows that there is never a credible enough witness, never enough proof. Biden should be investigated and replaced."

I see some of her arguments, but if he is investigated and there is no further evidence, how can we argue he should be replaced based purely on - which at that point would be - an unsubstantiated, investigated accusation?

I think most people who have followed this closely have said there should be further investigation. But if that investigation fails to show evidence, don't we have some responsibility to the accused as well? If not, what is to stop a rumor about Bernie surfacing? Or Warren? Or whoever is next in line?

I'd not seen this, but also believe it's reasonable and well argued: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ault-allegation-tara-reade-column/3046962001/

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Beachryan

Some of that I can't speak on because I haven't the information but the hedging of Russia and Bernie ties is pretty fecking terrible analysis. It's approaching 5G/back to work Trumper levels of conspiracnutery.
More the stuff relevant to his profession as a prosecutor of sexual crimes - patterns he has seen in his career. Just thought it a useful piece by someone with some actual background in the area.

Anyway, to the election, apparently Trump threatened to sue on of his own pollsters when they recently presented him with negative data. That's awesome stuff right there.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's a very naive way of thinking. If the rest of world hears about some religious nutcase dictator having access to nukes, it's a threat to everyone. The consequences of proliferation alone would be catastrophic. I agree with overall sentiment of the statement, but modern sociopolitics makes that necessary to a certain extent.

Whether US backed intervention is more than actually necessary or not is a different argument. Obama wasn't the first US president to do that and Trump is as aggressive if not more in this regard. He talks about dominating space and makes statements about bombing Iran every other week.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There's some media person on twitter who said she believes Reade was assaulted and is still voting for Biden, and I respect her far far more than people trying to dig up dirt on her. There are 2 reasons to vote for Biden - normalcy/lesser of 2 evils and decency. The 2nd one is gone, but the 1st one is absolutely unaffected.

Most people measure normalcy and evil by the language used at press conferences not rape 30 years ago; anyway Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton and Trump - 4 of the last 6 - have had credible allegations of rape or molestation against them. Nothing but normal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
More the stuff relevant to his profession as a prosecutor of sexual crimes - patterns he has seen in his career. Just thought it a useful piece by someone with some actual background in the area.

Anyway, to the election, apparently Trump threatened to sue on of his own pollsters when they recently presented him with negative data. That's awesome stuff right there.
He made a pretty solid argument for skepticism, although it would've been just as effective without the need to bring up her love for Putin.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
...anyway Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton and Trump - 4 of the last 6 - have had credible allegations of rape or molestation against them. Nothing but normal.
This is fecking tragic and says a lot about the US

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
From this article: "Anyone who has been assaulted knows that there is never a credible enough witness, never enough proof. Biden should be investigated and replaced."

I see some of her arguments, but if he is investigated and there is no further evidence, how can we argue he should be replaced based purely on - which at that point would be - an unsubstantiated, investigated accusation?

I think most people who have followed this closely have said there should be further investigation. But if that investigation fails to show evidence, don't we have some responsibility to the accused as well? If not, what is to stop a rumor about Bernie surfacing? Or Warren? Or whoever is next in line?

I'd not seen this, but also believe it's reasonable and well argued: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ault-allegation-tara-reade-column/3046962001/
I am not too aware of the specifics of this case, but the principle of the paragraph you quoted is ludicrus. Yes Biden should be investigated but she implies that everyone accused of sexual assault should be summarily dismisssed as guilty.
I can't remember clearly but wasn't the main outcry with Kananaugh the obvious botched investigation?
Biden behaviour to women onstage is certainly weird enough and even he himself says he has gotten in trouble with women in the past. Those are obvious red flags to me. Biden should be thoroughly investigated.

Fosu-Mens

Joe Biden (AKA. The democratic party) has a big decision in the future, that will likely impact his chances against Trump.

Who will he pick as VP? Given his (obvious?) cognitive issues, it is not highly unlikely that he will not last 4 years. So, any VP candidate might very well become president. He will obviously choose a female candidate (especially given the allegation). But which direction? Will he go centric and try to grab a larger portion of the swing voters in certain states or will he go for the most popular female candidate in Warren? How many of the inbetweeners will Warren detract vs how many leftist voters will she attract? And how important is the "Joe Biden not lasting 4 years" scenario in all this? And can they really pick a senator?

Beachryan

Would he not have been thoroughly investigated when he was picked to be VP?
i would have just assumed it was standard to get investigators to rip through every document, article, work colleague etc before picking somebody as a running mate?
People seem to forget that - its actually what his team will be doing now, it'll be at least a month of intensive vetting of the veep candidates.

Then again, the Reade allegation is kind of perfectly setup to avoid that: it only really came into existence in the last two months - even in her own account there was nothing for vetting teams to find when they looked under Obama's team.

Can you imagine a Warren v Pence debate?

Fergies Gum

Very good polling for the Dems. Trump should count himself lucky the election is 6 months away as Biden would win convincingly if the election was happening tomorrow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Very good polling for the Dems. Trump should count himself lucky the election is 6 months away as Biden would win convincingly if the election was happening tomorrow.

Joni Ernst also in a bit of trouble in Iowa.

That's six seats (AZ, CO, NC, ME, MT, IA) the Dems could realistically win, when they only need 4.

This could factor into Biden choosing Warren as well.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Equally if the election was tomorrow you would have had 6 months relentless advertising talking about creepy uncle Joe, corrupt hunter and links to china... As well as targeted voter suppression on a scale never thought possible under the cover of cv19 protections

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Equally if the election was tomorrow you would have had 6 months relentless advertising talking about creepy uncle Joe, corrupt hunter and links to china... As well as targeted voter suppression on a scale never thought possible under the cover of cv19 protections
That sounds remarkably like the last 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.