2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure we should be giving too much credence or attention to a Letter to the Editor? Plenty of crazy things said in those over the years.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure we should be giving too much credence or attention to a Letter to the Editor? Plenty of crazy things said in those over the years.
It's by the founder of Politico, probably the 3rd most influential news outlet in the US, not a crank obsessive letter writer.

WPMUFC

my biggest concern (barring Biden being probably one of the most incompetent politicans in a generation) is that a Biden win is going to be a signal for Democrats to coalese further around Right-Wing lunatics like Rubin. Anyone thinking Biden cannot be pressured in slashing spending, cutting taxes, more military spending, right wing judges, to name a few, is deluded.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Got'm:drool::

- @Eboue caught saying "Trump is the bad"
Also
- @Eboue caught saying "you are so the bad Biden"

How does it feel having been caught out holding these two different, yet entirely consistent, views? Nihilism much.

freeurmind

weak willed
Democrats really need to take back the Senate with Ginsburg seemingly about to croak.

Revan

Assumptionman
Only to place an african-american republican on the court under the guise of "working with the GOP".
They didn’t have the president back then, and the senate didn’t block SCOTUS until McConnell did so.

freeurmind

weak willed
They didn’t have the president back then, and the senate didn’t block SCOTUS until McConnell did so.
That's why taking back the Senate is so crucial. Even if Biden wins, McConnell would block any nominee that wasn't conservative enough.

WPMUFC

That's why taking back the Senate is so crucial. Even if Biden wins, McConnell would block any nominee that wasn't conservative enough.

Umm, Biden is happy to work with republicans. He has said multiple times he believes the only reason they are crazy is because of Trump and "the fever will break" with a Biden administration. If GOP retain senate or Dems take a slight lead, i could easily see him putting forward legislation that is that GOP friendly and a court nomination that is GOP friendly. I don't even think that is a controversial comment. I HOPE he's better than that, but i wouldn't trust him.

The only reason i mentioned an african america nomination is that he's getting pushed to have a AF Vice President and Supreme Court pick.

Last edited:

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
Nearly One in Four Bernie Sanders Supporters is #NeverBiden, According to New Poll

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/nearl...pporters-is-neverbiden-according-to-new-poll/

I still think the Democrats gonna shoot Biden off and replace him relatively short before the election. For "health reasons" of course. Everyone coming after is gonna be seen as an angel.
My guess would be Michelle Obama. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Clinton tries to go for it once more.

We will see in ~3 months.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Nearly One in Four Bernie Sanders Supporters is #NeverBiden, According to New Poll

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/nearl...pporters-is-neverbiden-according-to-new-poll/

I still think the Democrats gonna shoot Biden off and replace him relatively short before the election. For "health reasons" of course. Everyone coming after is gonna be seen as an angel.
My guess would be Michelle Obama. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Clinton tries to go for it once more.

We will see in ~3 months.
While in some peculiar way I admire the bravery in you’re positions on matters in the US, I still find them...peculiar.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
While in some peculiar way I admire the bravery in you’re positions on matters in the US, I still find them...peculiar.
Well, I am thinking about the election debates. Like Trump or not, but he knows how to deliver a burn, especially against weaker opponents (see what he did with Jeb Bush). I don't see Biden in his mental state being able to hold himself there. At all.
Even if we assume he had the lead right now - which looking back at last election polls being drastically off I wouldn't bet on it - there is a pretty good chance they gonna go down the more Biden needs to talk in front of a camera. And right now Trump's approval ratings have recovered pretty much so he is in a pretty decent position.

So if the Democrats really think Biden is gonna carry them, then I don't think their leadership is any competent. If they win, then it is not because, but despite Biden.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well, I am thinking about the election debates. Like Trump or not, but he knows how to deliver a burn, especially against weaker opponents (see what he did with Jeb Bush). I don't see Biden in his mental state being able to hold himself there. At all.
Even if we assume he had the lead right now - which looking back at last election polls being drastically off I wouldn't bet on it - there is a pretty good chance they gonna go down the more Biden needs to talk in front of a camera. And right now Trump's approval ratings have recovered pretty much so he is in a pretty decent position.

So if the Democrats really think Biden is gonna carry them, then I don't think their leadership is any competent. If they win, then it is not because, but despite Biden.
On debates, I think Biden actually matches up to him better than you think: just banter between two old men. Polling in 2016 was not really that off, as Donald had about a 1/3 or 4 chance according to 538.

But more to the original point, I would not bet on Michelle Obama or Hillary winning the nomination after the DNC decides to dump Biden. Certainly not the former..

Beachryan

Surely the Dems can't be that stupid to nominate Hillary?
That would never happen, not worth discussing. Same with Obama (M).

If Biden steps down, it will be one of the other candidates, likely Bernie given he was clearly second.

We'd then have to hope that enough has changed with the pandemic that Bernie gets the support he needs to beat Trump, and convince the middle of American politics to vote for him.

Foxbatt

If Biden steps down, it will be one of the other candidates, likely Bernie given he was clearly second.

We'd then have to hope that enough has changed with the pandemic that Bernie gets the support he needs to beat Trump, and convince the middle of American politics to vote for him.
If Bernie gets it and if he takes someone like Cuomo as his VP I think he will beat Trump.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Still think Biden's best shot is to get Warren as his VP to build a coalition with the left of the party.

Kamala Harris would be a terrible choice.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

not gonna happen
At least Clinton and Obama are actually members of the democratic party

Beachryan

not gonna happen
At least Clinton and Obama are actually members of the democratic party
Man, I must have had some fever-dream a few months ago, could have sworn there was something about primaries going on. Weird.

nimic

something nice
Scout
You mean the ones where Sanders and his policies were roundly rejected by the majority of members...
That's a cute comment, just like your last one, but it misses the point entirely. Sanders isn't technically in the party, but he just took part and came a very clear second in their nomination process.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's a cute comment, just like your last one, but it misses the point entirely. Sanders isn't technically in the party, but he just took part and came a very clear second in their nomination process.
and very clearly his proposals were rejected as people picked a more centrist candidate and as such im pretty sure the party will honour that decision if they are put in the position of having to find an alternative to biden - I mean how many of the other candidates backed biden and how many backed bernie once they dropped out?

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
and very clearly his proposals were rejected as people picked a more centrist candidate and as such im pretty sure the party will honour that decision if they are put in the position of having to find an alternative to biden - I mean how many of the other candidates backed biden and how many backed bernie once they dropped out?
It's not like the candidates have official labels that they run under, it's a person-focused election. You can't just say "oh this guy was a centrist, so we have to replace him with a centrist". Biden won the primary, not Buttigieg, Klobuchar or Bloomberg, and certainly not Hillary Clinton.

It's absurd to claim that Bernie was rejected by a majority and then turn around and suggest someone who had a fifth of his support as more suitable, just because they ended up endorsing the eventual winner when they dropped out because they weren't popular enough.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's not like the candidates have official labels that they run under, it's a person-focused election. You can't just say "oh this guy was a centrist, so we have to replace him with a centrist". Biden won the primary, not Buttigieg, Klobuchar or Bloomberg, and certainly not Hillary Clinton.

It's absurd to claim that Bernie was rejected by a majority and then turn around and suggest someone who had a fifth of his support as more suitable, just because they ended up endorsing the eventual winner when they dropped out because they weren't popular enough.
look i know you dont like it - but bernie lost - again - and if the DNC has to pick a candidate he will loose again

Raoul

Admin
Staff
look i know you dont like it - but bernie lost - again - and if the DNC has to pick a candidate he will loose again
Also worth noting that the people in charge of selecting a replacement are ostensibly the same people who were previously superdelegates - basically the hierarchy of the Democratic party - so it stands to reason that they would pick someone whose views align with the Obama coalition, which still represents the power structure of the party. Although this scenario will almost certainly not happen, if it came down to it, I suspect they would pick Cuomo as the replacement.

Last edited:

MTF

Also worth noting that the people in charge of selecting a replacement are ostensibly the same people who were previously superdelegates - basically the hierarchy of the Democratic party - so it stands to reason that they would pick someone whose views align with the Obama coalition, which still represents the power structure of the party. Although this scenario will almost certainly not happen, if it came down to it, I suspect they would pick Cuomo as the replacement.
I think the same. I think Joe Biden is at least 50% likely to be the candidate, if not reaching into 80-90% chance, with the main risk of him not being the candidate coming from health issues and not the Reade accusations. Then if they were to choose a replacement I very much doubt Sanders would be chosen because of the same reasons you mentioned above, and Cuomo is currently the Democrat politician from the mainstream that has the highest name recognition and potentially approval. I wouldn't think much about Michelle Obama (I really think she has no interest) and Hillary Clinton.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
On debates, I think Biden actually matches up to him better than you think: just banter between two old men. Polling in 2016 was not really that off, as Donald had about a 1/3 or 4 chance according to 538.

But more to the original point, I would not bet on Michelle Obama or Hillary winning the nomination after the DNC decides to dump Biden. Certainly not the former..
Disagree. The moment Biden can't read his prepared text, he stumbles big time. In addition when being hit with the right attacks, he has a short fuse. Like when journalists were asking him about Hunter.

But even assuming Biden is gonna win - does anyone here honestly think he will hold out 4 years in such a stressful job? If anything, he is gonna end like Leonid Brezhnev. Yet, people want Biden over anyone else - tells you a lot about the rest of the competition and their winning chances, if their own potential voterbase prefers someone quite potentially senile over the rest.

There clearly is a major divide between the moderate left and the ones who want to move further left within the Democrats. Biden can't connect those together. Bernie couldn't either, else he would have won over Biden. A proper VP / replacement of Biden is the only shot to sorta combine these two somewhat. Don't think it's Warren - which is why I brought up Obama since she is the only big name person I can think of both sides would be somewhat excited about. And Clinton is the kind of powerhungry person who would try to be opportunistic (dont think she would make it, but definitely can see her trying to).

Either way, even if Biden stays up to election, I think the VP spot is the most important it has been for a long time for the Democrats.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the same. I think Joe Biden is at least 50% likely to be the candidate, if not reaching into 80-90% chance, with the main risk of him not being the candidate coming from health issues and not the Reade accusations. Then if they were to choose a replacement I very much doubt Sanders would be chosen because of the same reasons you mentioned above, and Cuomo is currently the Democrat politician from the mainstream that has the highest name recognition and potentially approval. I wouldn't think much about Michelle Obama (I really think she has no interest) and Hillary Clinton.
Yeah Cuomo's stock is fairly high right now after all his recent tv pressers and appearances on various shows. Very interesting to see his brother attempt to coax him into running for higher office - almost like an inside joke between them that something may happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.