2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah Cuomo's stock is fairly high right now after all his recent tv pressers and appearances on various shows. Very interesting to see his brother attempt to coax him into running for higher office - almost like an inside joke between them that something may happen.
It would be very interesting watching Cuomo on Cuomo on CNN. Has anything like that even happened before in the US?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would be very interesting watching Cuomo on Cuomo on CNN. Has anything like that even happened before in the US?
Cant think of any other instances. In fact, Chris was previously banned from interviewing Andrew to avoid the awkward appearance of brother interviewing brother, until the virus came along and CNN lifted the restriction.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Cant think of any other instances. In fact, Chris was previously banned from interviewing Andrew to avoid the awkward appearance of brother interviewing brother, until the virus came along and CNN lifted the restriction.
Ah ok thanks. I wasn't aware of that. They do have good banter though.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yeah it is a joke that the governor of the state with the most covid deaths is being floated for president.
It's a pretty soundbite that Republicans would obviously use but I don't think it's all that relevant. The NYC metro area is more densely populated than any other in the country and NYC is a tourist hub. That's obviously not to absolve NY officials of any blame as some have accused them of responding too late but if people want to play the political blame game then the severity of this thing in the US is on the Trump administration.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It's a pretty soundbite that Republicans would obviously use but I don't think it's all that relevant. The NYC metro area is more densely populated than any other in the country and NYC is a tourist hub. That's obviously not to absolve NY officials of any blame as some have accused them of responding too late but if people want to play the political blame game then the severity of this thing in the US is on the Trump administration.
This is a country where many people protested the quarantine and still think COVID-19 is a hoax. You think majority of Americans, let alone conservatives, are going to have even this elementary level of deductive reasoning?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There is a bunch of corroborative evidence now:

A declaration filed March 1996 in San Luis Obispo Superior Court by the ex-husband of Tara Reade includes this passage referencing Read’s experience as a former Senate staffer for then-Sen. Joe Biden in 1993. Notably, it mentions “sexual harassment” rather than “sexual assault,” and it doesn’t specifically accuse Biden of misconduct. Matt Fountain MFOUNTAIN@THETRIBUNENEWS.COM

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/politics-government/article242527331.html

Biden should be ok since, like Kavanaugh, response to this is partisan.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
There is a bunch of corroborative evidence now:

A declaration filed March 1996 in San Luis Obispo Superior Court by the ex-husband of Tara Reade includes this passage referencing Read’s experience as a former Senate staffer for then-Sen. Joe Biden in 1993. Notably, it mentions “sexual harassment” rather than “sexual assault,” and it doesn’t specifically accuse Biden of misconduct. Matt Fountain MFOUNTAIN@THETRIBUNENEWS.COM

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/politics-government/article242527331.html

Biden should be ok since, like Kavanaugh, response to this is partisan.
The thing you quoted even says it's not corroborating the assault allegation. Or necessarily accusing Biden himself. You cant just say it's corroboration and it becomes that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The thing you quoted even says it's not corroborating the assault allegation. Or necessarily accusing Biden himself. You cant just say it's corroboration and it becomes that.
So there are 2 defences now -

1. He sexually harrassed her to the point that she was suffering from it for years, but at least there's no proof he raped her!

2. Someone else in the office did, but she's lying now and lied to her neighbour that it was him, and for whatever reason his staff isn't revealing whom.

Sweet Square

1. He sexually harrassed her to the point that she was suffering from it for years, but at least there's no proof he raped her!

2. Someone else in the office did, but she's lying now and lied to her neighbour that it was him, and for whatever reason his staff isn't revealing whom.
3. Russian Time Travel.

шах и мат!

Beachryan

If you don't see how you not even being able to hold steady on the accusation, or who is accused, or for what, is not problematic, there's not really much hope for a fair judgement is there?

It's fine to not like Biden. It's fine to believe Tara Reade. But it's bullsht to just throw as much sht at the wall as possible and hope something sticks, amd just say no matter what it is that it supports your position. It's very Trumpian.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Another cute but pointless comment. You'd make a great tabloid journalist.
Perhaps... I think:

Bernie bros burn bernies beliefs

When they rip Biden apart for moths, criticise democrats who vote for him... Don't turn out themselves...then look to blame everybody else when trump wins a second term

Last edited:

entropy

Either way it clearly impacted her life a lot. The fact that her husband used this as part of his case for divorce tells me that it was no minor event and it clearly damaged their marriage. Anyone who suggested it was just Biden “rubbing her shoulders” or planting unwanted kisses might want to rethink it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If you don't see how you not even being able to hold steady on the accusation, or who is accused, or for what, is not problematic, there's not really much hope for a fair judgement is there?

It's fine to not like Biden. It's fine to believe Tara Reade. But it's bullsht to just throw as much sht at the wall as possible and hope something sticks, amd just say no matter what it is that it supports your position. It's very Trumpian.
There is one accusation by one person. There are multiple people (her ex-husband, her neighbour, the two more AP found, the phone call to Larry King) who have heard of that accusation in one form or the other many years ago (harrasment or rape, and again, it is absolutely possible that she didn't reveal everything at the time). People close to her believe it had a long-lasting impact on her. Your defence rests on her saying harrasment in the 90s and rape now.

Beachryan

Your defence rests on her saying harrasment in the 90s and rape now.
My 'defense' is that anyone accused of rape should have at least some say in how the court of public opinion judges them. Just as Tara Reade is permitted - encouraged - to publically tell her truth, there should be a flip side to that too. And then people, or voters, or juries can make up their mind based on the balance of evidence. That doesn't feel unfair to me.

As I said many moons ago, I fully believe that Tara Reade felt sexually harassed in Biden's employ. That is supported by tangible evidence and believable corroboratory witnesses. I believe this can and did have a meaningful impact on her life.

What I don't know, and have yet to see is any real, consistent and corroborative evidence for Joe Biden having raped her against a wall.

As through March of this year probably dozens if not hundreds of other females have also been employed or worked voluntarily for Joe Biden during his 30 years. Several of whom have gone on record refuting Reade's claim. Many of whom have willingly spoken up in his defence, in his character and in support of him.

I have to balance that against her initial claim, and for me I come out on the side of: Joe Biden is generally viewed as a good human being that definitely has a way of putting his hands on shoulders of women which could definitely make them uncomfortable. He's also known for hugging men too much. If that is all he is accused of, I personally don't believe that is disqualifying, and certainly shouldn't stop a potential avenue to get Trump out of office.

If he raped Reade, then that is obviously disqualifying and should be prosecuted.

Hence. I really, really think it's important to judge her most recent accusation alone, on its own merits, and not try to muddy the waters with her prior accusation. Is that really hard to understand?

Blodssvik

Definitions and public opinion about what constitutes sexual assault vs sexual harassment has thankfully changed in the last 30 years to the benefit of victims. So it's possible both can be right and not contradictory.

Beachryan

why is this not enough to boycott biden?
Two reasons:
1 - the original accusation wasn't about Biden personally, it was about the way the team treated her. Her accusation last year was that she overheard a staff member say something that staff member had heard Biden say. That's not enough for me in these stakes.
2 - her initial complaint was already known when the primary voters voted for Biden. they still chose him. You can't just override those voters because you don't like him.

Again, if her most recent allegation is true, then 2 becomes null and void because voters obviously didn't know, and wouldn't have voted for him if they had.

Last edited:

Silva

Two reasons:
1 - the original accusation wasn't about Biden personally, it was about the way the team treated her. Her accusation last year was that she overheard a staff member say something that staff member had heard Biden say. That's not enough for me in these stakes.
2 - her initial complaint was already known when the primary voters voted for Biden. they still chose him. You can't just override those voters because you don't like him.

Again, if her most recent allegation is true, then 3 becomes null and void because voters obviously didn't know, and wouldn't have voted for him if they had.
i'm asking about you not primary voters, why are you okay with voting for someone you personally believe sexually harness women?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
As through March of this year probably dozens if not hundreds of other females have also been employed or worked voluntarily for Joe Biden during his 30 years. Several of whom have gone on record refuting Reade's claim. Many of whom have willingly spoken up in his defence, in his character and in support of him.
Ah yes, but what about all the women he didnt sexually assault / harass?

SharpshooterTom

Its noticable how different establishment Democrats are reacting to this compared to when Liz Warren accused Bernie Sanders of making sexist remarks saying a women couldn't win the white house. There was no evidence of course of this, certainly a lot less than there is compared to Tara Reade but the establishment press, NYT CNN etc IMMEDIATELY declared him guilty, he's sexist, his supporters are sexist etc.

Revan

Assumptionman
Its noticable how different establishment Democrats are reacting to this compared to when Liz Warren accused Bernie Sanders of making sexist remarks saying a women couldn't win the white house. There was no evidence of course of this, certainly a lot less than there is compared to Tara Reade but the establishment press, NYT CNN etc IMMEDIATELY declared him guilty, he's sexist, his supporters are sexist etc.
What this has to do with anything?

I mean, you can just reverse it. Why left wing Bernie bros didn’t believe Warren but believe Reade?

It is such a nonsense comparison. Different people, different scenarios, different everything.

SharpshooterTom

I mean, you can just reverse it. Why left wing Bernie bros didn’t believe Warren but believe Reade?

It is such a nonsense comparison. Different people, different scenarios, different everything.
I'm not saying I believe Tara Reade, I don't think there's enough corroborative evidence at the moment to be sure, certainly not enough to strip him of the nomination, but my problem is how the establishment media react to the two different accusations, going great lengths to defend Biden whilst great lengths to smear Bernie.

The press's handling of sexual assualt accusations and their hypocrisy is as much of a problem as the sexual assault cases themselves. They pick and choose who is guilty based whether they actually agree with their policies.

Sweet Square

They wouldn't never believe a women of colour imo.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Is anyone really expecting Biden supporters to not act like pigs? Their whole argument since day one has essentially been my guy is less oompa loompa orange than that other guy. This election is really just a competition to see which side's creepy Ma'nene corpse scares the fewer children.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
For men who rape, it is not about sex. It is about exerting power over women. Biden has done this repeatedly over women and girls. Even little girls. Its therefore consistent with what Tara Reade said. That Biden said at the end of the encounter. “You are nothing” That is what rapists think of women. That they are nothing.

The fact the Democratic Party and its supporters are still willing to push this man into the Oval Office says it all. Some even threatening the woman and her daughter.

Tara Reade has volunteered to not just take a Lie Detector Test but also say what she said Under Oath.

The question is not about Trump.

Its about doing what is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.