2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hammer Trump with ads of him calling the virus a hoax, rounding the corner, etc., all the highlights for the next month? Or, no?

Jericholyte2

Anyone else think Trump will use this to pull out of the race? That way he could say he never lost?

I see one of a few different scenarios:

1. He's faking it so he can come back saying he beat it and downplay how serious it is
  2. He's either faking it (or not) and will use it to pull out of the race
  3. He genuinely has it and could get seriously ill

SirAF

Ageist
Anyone else think Trump will use this to pull out of the race? That way he could say he never lost?

I see one of a few different scenarios:

1. He's faking it so he can come back saying he beat it and downplay how serious it is
  2. He's either faking it (or not) and will use it to pull out of the race
  3. He genuinely has it and could get seriously ill
Who knows? Surely his people are realizing he’s going to lose? Could be getting in his excuses early, but I’d say 1 or 3 is more likely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hammer Trump with ads of him calling the virus a hoax, rounding the corner, etc., all the highlights for the next month? Or, no?
I would think that easing off on attacks would be the smart thing for now. They don't want to engender a sympathetic reaction for either Trump or someone who would replace him (depending on how this goes).

I'm sure they can focus more heavily on other aspects of campaigning in the meantime.

Also worth bearing in mind that Biden presumably also has to be tested now given he shared a stage with Trump a few days ago.

Drifter

American
Let's talk about the Texas, purple fingers, and the Republican strategy....

DM07

Since though the Corona Virus has a somewhat low mortality rate (under 1% by most accounts), and Trump has access to the best healthcare possible in the world, I expect him to survive.

But what happens in the case he doesn't make it? Or if either of the two major candidates die a month before the election. Do the parties then decide on a new candidate? And if yes then how is it decided. Or will they just put up Harris/Pence as their nominee?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Since though the Corona Virus has a somewhat low mortality rate (under 1% by most accounts), and Trump has access to the best healthcare possible in the world, I expect him to survive.

But what happens in the case he doesn't make it? Or if either of the two major candidates die a month before the election. Do the parties then decide on a new candidate? And if yes then how is it decided. Or will they just put up Harris/Pence as their nominee?
The mortality rate is far higher for over 65’s.

If Trump, Biden or both died, it would be Harris/Pence in the election yes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Got about 5 fliers for Trump and 3 for Tom Thillis in the mail.
1 for Biden, none for the Dem senate guy.
This city went ~70% for Hillary.
4 more, all GOP, local, state, and Trump, all about crime and BLM.

Either the world's most dedicated Republican lived at this address previously or they are that much more active, even in a blue city in a supposedly swing state.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I wonder whether this sort of polling results helps Biden. If people think Trump might win, will that motivate Biden voters more than Trump voters to go vote?
Too right. It's not Biden's fault that Trump and his staff have been careless. Why would he handicap himself because of Trump's own goal? (That might even still turn out to help Trump, depending on how he gets through this, how he responds, and how it gets discussed in the media.)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I wonder whether this sort of polling results helps Biden. If people think Trump might win, will that motivate Biden voters more than Trump voters to go vote?

Too right. It's not Biden's fault that Trump and his staff have been careless. Why would he handicap himself because of Trump's own goal? (That might even still turn out to help Trump, depending on how he gets through this, how he responds, and how it gets discussed in the media.)
I’ve seen tweets from the right championing McCain when he suspended his campaign in 2008 due to the financial meltdown. Very rich considering their takes on McCain since his thumbs down vote a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

Biden's got this. :devil:
It's a big couple of weeks for Biden. If his team can get him out in front of the cameras and if he can sound presidential on stage, it should be a straight run to the Whitehouse.

This is effectively going to be his audition. On TV at least, he's going to be the closest thing America has to a President for the foreseeable. Just needs to not feck it up.

DavidDeSchmikes

Biden doesn't even need to attack Trump as such, just show off his own plans like he is doing right now is this speech

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's a big couple of weeks for Biden. If his team can get him out in front of the cameras and if he can sound presidential on stage, it should be a straight run to the Whitehouse.

This is effectively going to be his audition. On TV at least, he's going to be the closest thing America has to a President for the foreseeable. Just needs to not feck it up.
I really hope the VP debate goes ahead. Mike Pence with a lot of egg on his face and a lot of tough questions to answer.

sport2793

Well his speech today was a good first step to that. Struck all the right notes and was decisive in speech.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Fascism doesn’t have to be 1940s Germany. I live here and I’m seeing the very start, which is what I was referring to. And I subscribe to the notion that fascism is capitalism in decay, where the trend here is even more inequality.
The Religious Right have brought their own brand of fascism. Slowly creeping into policies and mainstream for decades.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’ve seen tweets from the right championing McCain when he suspended his campaign in 2008 due to the financial meltdown. Very rich considering their takes on McCain since his thumbs down vote a couple of years ago.

Yeah, totally incomparable. That was a national crisis, this is Trump getting sick because he has been irresponsible.
The Religious Right have brought their own brand of fascism. Slowly creeping into policies and mainstream for decades.
I've been thinking the past months that I actually see a path towards the society of The Handmaid's Tale now. I'm not at all saying that's next, but I find it pretty weird just to see that it could happen.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Frightening being back in Texas this week. Walking my dogs in my Aunt's neighborhood and it was astonishing to see all these Trump signs in front of mobile homes and small-sized houses. The irony in supporting a man/party that enriches itself off the backs of regular people. Of course she has her Texans for Trump flag on the porch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Frightening being back in Texas this week. Walking my dogs in my Aunt's neighborhood and it was astonishing to see all these Trump signs in front of mobile homes and small-sized houses. The irony in supporting a man/party that enriches itself off the backs of regular people. Of course she has her Texans for Trump flag on the porch.
That’s large swaths of Texas, for sure. Frightening.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don’t know much about Biden politically. I just know about him being a bit noncey, smelling kids and the like.

It’s weird seeing someone acting like a presidential candidate again though. In a good way. Noncey stuff aside.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don’t know much about Biden politically. I just know about him being a bit noncey, smelling kids and the like.

It’s weird seeing someone acting like a presidential candidate again though. In a good way. Noncey stuff aside.
A handful of the most widely proliferated memes of this is actually him hugging his granddaughter during her father’s / his son’s funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.