2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
:lol:
So not the FBI or the CIA or any of the other intelligence agencies - since they all supply "fake news" about Russian agents - but the good 'ol Babylon Bee.

Yep, that sounds about right for a man who probably mostly looks at the cartoons when it comes to newspapers.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We all might be drinking our version of koolaid these days, this definitely looks ominous...

MTF

We all might be drinking our version of koolaid these days, this definitely looks ominous...

Did some digging to figure out what this is. Its a very simplified model that doesn't rely on polls at all, although not preposterous in its assumptions: is the incumbent party likely to lose? I don't know how he rates it quantitatively, but it is true that US history especially in the 20th and 21st century saw many (a majority?) of presidents re-elected. That would be a significant point in favor of Trump. Then the other factor is how well the challenger did in the primaries, with I guess his logic being that stronger primary performance indicates a stronger/more liked candidate. In that sense is where he rates Biden also kinda weakly.

Here's the main problem though: he publishes his prediction in March once primaries are done, and then doesn't change them. Something pretty big has happened since March...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did some digging to figure out what this is. Its a very simplified model that doesn't rely on polls at all, although not preposterous in its assumptions: is the incumbent party likely to lose? I don't know how he rates it quantitatively, but it is true that US history especially in the 20th and 21st century saw many (a majority?) of presidents re-elected. That would be a significant point in favor of Trump. Then the other factor is how well the challenger did in the primaries, with I guess his logic being that stronger primary performance indicates a stronger/more liked candidate. In that sense is where he rates Biden also kinda weakly.

Here's the main problem though: he publishes his prediction in March once primaries are done, and then doesn't change them. Something pretty big has happened since March...
I love the comments, especially on when the model’s founder was born.

It took me a second to check to see if this was a BabylonBee post or not.

This ‘study’ seems as valid as stating that all the Boaters for Plump signifies that there will be a presidential landslide for him. One can then easily see how the right has been retweeting this incessantly inside of their echo chamber.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree. Which is why im glad some folks recognize how problematic the optics of just saying "defund the police" are. It is a very broad systematic problem that requires many different steps. But just because one solution isnt the end all solution (i. E. Body cams) - it doesn't mean it can't still be part of the solution.
The problem, though, is that anything will be made to look bad by the opposition if it's not watered down to the point that the short message becomes meaningless. 'Defund the police' does not have to mean 'completely defund the police' or 'abolish the police', just like 'black lives matter' does not mean 'only black lives matter'. I guess it's the perennial problem with the modern left: their inability to sell their ideas through positive slogans that stick and can't be twisted into something bad.
3 deaths out of 49 incidents where the police had to fire their gun in Norway the past 10 years.
I'd say that's some pretty decent stats proving that you don't have to "shoot to kill".

Obviously I can't find curriculum or specific training memos from the police academy, but I know for a fact that the police here is trained to aim for the legs first, unless the situation really says otherwise. I have many friends who are police officers, and they're very adamant that shooting to kill is very much the last resort, and very rarely happens. Like only a few times in a decade. But actually having to shoot a person happens a lot more frequently (relatively speaking), without the need to "shoot to kill". There is always a risk of killing involved when shooting someone, obviously, but as I've said before, there are ways to effectively limit the potential risk for that.

This is even mentioned in Norwegian law. "(3) When using a weapon, the police are required to limit the harmful effect as much as possible.". The law doesn't say "legs", but lawmakers, courts, and the police themselves, have interpreted it in the way that shooting people in the leg is considered to limit the harmful effect moreso than shooting people in the torso.

Edit: Found this. A thesis about how the law about guns in the police force is to be interpreted, and how it's used in practical situations. Page 47: "This involves that the police should fire at body parts that won't kill the perpetrator, if possible". According to you, that should be the torso. According to the police, it should be the legs. And with only 3/49 deaths when aiming for the legs first, that seems to be a decent way to go.
I can't find the stats quickly, but my impression is that it's similar for the Netherlands: when the police shoot, it's usually on the legs. That's what police instructions say, too; shooting elsewhere is an emergency last resort. (link) I would wonder what the stats are for the US though. We read about all these cases of police killings, but I have no idea how those relate to the total number of police shootings.

entropy

I really don't see the problem with this? This is a good thing, not a bad thing, no?

Shooting bad guys in the legs instead of 8 times in the back is what they should've been doing all along, really.
The problem here is you seem to think we aren’t aware of what training usually entails. Be it de-escalation training, or anti racism training, or implicit bias training. None of these work. So to reiterate my initial point, why are you advocating for something we already know doesn’t work? also enough with the hypotheticals already. haven’t we seen countless videos of cops behaving like pigs and showing zero regard for human life.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He actually looks so much more relatable & perhaps associative with Joe America without his cotton candy spun hair & orange Betty Crocker spackle...

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The torso without any doubt. Although there are several areas of the torso which are likely to be immediately fatal, people very often survive individal gunshot wounds to the body. There is a lot of body mass there and wounds can often be survivable. The thighs are an awful place to be shot, due to the high blood flow there and prominence of blood vessels, and being shot in or lower than the knees is likely to result in something crippling if you survive. The stomach would seriously suck, but at least there you'd survive for a reasonable amount of time during which you can potentially receive medical help to save you.
You can hold a view without turning yourself inside out to justify it.

Nobody is taking a shot to the torso over the leg.

Yes a femoral artery shot will see you in a grave. But a shot to the Torso carries a higher chance of death. Especially as police are trained to hit centre mass, your heart basically.

Most leg shots are going to see you survive for hours untreated. The same is not true of being hit in a major organ.

Skåre Willoch

The problem here is you seem to think we aren’t aware of what training usually entails. Be it de-escalation training, or anti racism training, or implicit bias training. None of these work. So to reiterate my initial point, why are you advocating for something we already know doesn’t work? also enough with the hypotheticals already. haven’t we seen countless videos of cops behaving like pigs and showing zero regard for human life.
I don’t know what to answer to this, really. I just thought Biden made some good points, perhaps presented in his usual “all over the place” manner. The fact that the police force struggle to behave is a problem I don’t know the solution to. And if things don’t work today, doesn’t mean they can’t work in the future. Better/longer education, personality/background checks etc. I don’t know, really. It seems you’ve given up, and I’m not sure that’s the solution either.

I just thought what Biden said made sense, and then I tried to back up why I thought it made sense.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Can y'all take the police stuff to the appropriate thread?

Back to this thread, any new polls or news out there today? An anticipated Friday/weekend drop?
Listened to the 538 model chat earlier this week, they basically said if hte election were today, it would be 95/5 to Biden, but they've baked in a 'surprise' or impact of x weeks til the election It was 84/16 then, now it's 87/13 so seems to be stacking.

Unless there's a true October surprise (good effort Rudy), I can't see any mathematical extrapolation of poll figures not having Biden as a heavy favourite. BUT...
...the betting odds have closed for what that's worth.

owlo

No idea about the firearms training of police in the US, however I don't buy the take it's possible for police to shoot in the legs accurately. These are guys with a day job, not expert markmen or SMU's where they practice 12h a day until they get it right.

Many an HVT has been killed during an attempted capture, even in incidences where it would dramatically alter enemy CoG if they managed to take them alive. And that's generally with a mountain of intelligence which the police don't have and vastly more skilled operators. [they have none much of the time.]

Furthermore, you can clearly see police continually point guns at people, especially handguns in a high ready position. You see videos of them randomly firing into space. They need proper de-escalation training and to learn how not to use a weapon, not more training on how to shoot in the leg.

entropy

I don’t know what to answer to this, really. I just thought Biden made some good points, perhaps presented in his usual “all over the place” manner. The fact that the police force struggle to behave is a problem I don’t know the solution to. And if things don’t work today, doesn’t mean they can’t work in the future. Better/longer education, personality/background checks etc. I don’t know, really. It seems you’ve given up, and I’m not sure that’s the solution either.

I just thought what Biden said made sense, and then I tried to back up why I thought it made sense.
How about we stop advocating for reforms that we already know don’t work? I think that’s a great place to start.

entropy

Can y'all take the police stuff to the appropriate thread?

Back to this thread, any new polls or news out there today? An anticipated Friday/weekend drop?
what do you mean? it is absolutely relevant to discuss Biden’s response in the elections thread, no matter how out of touch it might be.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
what do you mean? it is absolutely relevant to discuss Biden’s response in the elections thread, no matter how out of touch it might be.
Not when it delves into a whole other topic of shooting legs vs center mass and training and all. It becomes a sub-talking point that should go to the cops thread IMO.

entropy

That wasn’t me. I was pointing out how misleading, and dangerous it is for him to suggest that training somehow will work this time. It’s only going to lead to more innocent people getting killed.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://time.com/5897887/swing-states-2020-election/?utm_source=pocket-newtab
How a Road Trip Through America's Battlegrounds Revealed a Nation Plagued by Misinformation
Distrust of the establishment
has always existed in America; historian Richard Hofstadter famously called it “the paranoid style.” But now it’s amplified by social-media networks whose algorithms reward extremism, and championed by a misinformation warrior who happens to serve as the President of the United States. In a study of more than 38 million articles about the pandemic, researchers at Cornell University recently found that President Trump was the single biggest driver of false information about coronavirus. A major Harvard study released in October found that Trump had perfected the manipulation of mass media to spread false information about mail-in voting, and that the President was an even bigger source of disinformation than “Russian bots or Facebook clickbait artists.” No wonder, then, that so many Americans are caught in the confusion, unsure what to believe.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Count me as one of the 5. Shotguns, rifles and MP5 as well (was police explorer). Didn’t really get anything out of it. Pretty much have always despised guns, especially handguns.
Same. Shot some military style equipment including old stuff like Rugers, a military spec SCAR (pretty neat when looking at it from a tech perspective, as well as laser scoped American, Russian and Israeli sniper rifles, etc. Rifles are kinda fun to shoot. I hate handguns as well. Despite knowing folks with small arsenals - I would never own them myself, but I do understand why folks like target practice as a hobby. Just dont understand the need to have if for any other reason - save for wildlife.

Anyway..

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Count me as one of the 5. Shotguns, rifles and MP5 as well (was police explorer). Didn’t really get anything out of it. Pretty much have always despised guns, especially handguns.
Handgun sights are generally shit. There a reason why the best competitive pistol shooters all use red dots.

Same. Shot some military style equipment including old stuff like Rugers, a military spec SCAR (pretty neat when looking at it from a tech perspective, as well as laser scoped American, Russian and Israeli sniper rifles, etc. Rifles are kinda fun to shoot. I hate handguns as well. Despite knowing folks with small arsenals - I would never own them myself, but I do understand why folks like target practice as a hobby. Just dont understand the need to have if for any other reason - save for wildlife.

Anyway..
I prefer rifles, too. Too bad they took away my privileges to shoot all the fun ones. :(

What’s the record length for a confirmed kill with a pistol, 150 feet or so?

The movies help make shooting a pistol accurately seem much easier than it is.
Not sure but it gets ridiculously difficult to be accurate beyond 20 yards.

Guys, please. No one gives a shit about guns except Dwazza and the military industrial complex. Find another thread to discuss your war crimes.
:lol: guilty as charged! Thanks for indulging me guys. :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Handgun sights are generally shit. There a reason why the best competitive pistol shooters all use red dots.

I prefer rifles, too. Too bad they took away my privileges to shoot all the fun ones. :(

Not sure but it gets ridiculously difficult to be accurate beyond 20 yards.

:lol: guilty as charged! Thanks for indulging me guys. :)
I think we are all in agreement that guns are evil and should all be banned. This has been productive.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is obviously the first step on that slippery slope of the government confiscating all our guns...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is obviously the first step on that slippery slope of the government confiscating all our guns...

You can absolutely 100% trust the police to deal with this situation perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.