2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Supreme Court just saved the Dems in PA
Doesn't bode particularly well though. Result was 4-4 (Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Thomas wanted to grant a stay). When your deciding vote is soon to be Coney Barrett the future of vote counting does not look especially rosy.

WPMUFC

Doesn't bode particularly well though. Result was 4-4 (Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Thomas wanted to grant a stay). When your deciding vote is soon to be Coney Barrett the future of vote counting does not look especially rosy.
Agree, but at least votes will be counted instead of being thrown out now. Small mercy's at this time

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Is there any chance that all these obvious voter supression measures could be dealt with if the Democrats gain a majority in the Senate? I'm thinking of the 12 hour queues, the threats of mail-in ballots not being counted, the gerrymandering. Is it possible to pass a law to reform and to deal with all this?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Is there any chance that all these obvious voter supression measures could be dealt with if the Democrats gain a majority in the Senate? I'm thinking of the 12 hour queues, the threats of mail-in ballots not being counted, the gerrymandering. Is it possible to pass a law to reform and to deal with all this?
I guess it's possible, but dependent on if and by how much they take the Senate. Also probably depends on Schumer's willingness to nuke the filibuster. Those are the political obstacles.

The major problem might well be the Supreme Court itself though. If it becomes (as seems very possible) an activist Republican court then it might seek out reasons to declare changes to the voting system unconstitutional in some way. Probably by invoking states rights and offering a narrow interpretation of voting rights in general.

Boycott

Trump supporters pointing to twitter polls as real indicators that he will win is funny. It reminds me of 2019 when Corbyn was winning all the social media polls but got crushed when it really mattered. Only difference is I wanted Corbyn to win and cast a real vote for him on December 12th.

If they think people are lying to pollsters then what about the betting markets where people are putting their money where their mouth is.

A lot is made of extremely online left wing people being out of touch with the broader electorate in echo chambers but these people on the right wing are even worse. If you get your daily news and opinions from Tim Pool, Fox News, Breitbart, Dave Rubin, Stephen Crowder and all the other Trump lovers then you might think Trump is on course for a landslide. All the data and evidence shows otherwise but they don't want to hear it. I think a Biden win, particularly a landslide, is going to put an end to a lot of this grift.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Trump supporters pointing to twitter polls as real indicators that he will win is funny. It reminds me of 2019 when Corbyn was winning all the social media polls but got crushed when it really mattered. Only difference is I wanted Corbyn to win and cast a real vote for him on December 12th.

If they think people are lying to pollsters then what about the betting markets where people are putting their money where their mouth is.

A lot is made of extremely online left wing people being out of touch with the broader electorate in echo chambers but these people on the right wing are even worse. If you get your daily news and opinions from Tim Pool, Fox News, Breitbart, Dave Rubin, Stephen Crowder and all the other Trump lovers then you might think Trump is on course for a landslide. All the data and evidence shows otherwise but they don't want to hear it. I think a Biden win, particularly a landslide, is going to put an end to a lot of this grift.
You can also toss in the mighty wave from all the Trump boaters.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can they be trusted? Will ideology win when in the secrecy of the ballot box?

I couldn't stand Corbyn, and was very vocally against him. And on election morning, i thought Id make a protest vote elsewhere. But when in the ballot box, I felt I couldn't abandon the party Ive supported since I started voting, and in the end, voted Labour/Corbyn.

I was a minority as loads of lifelong Labours in North England abandoned their party and voted Conservative/Boris, which is what gave him his landslide.

So seeing what 'Never Trumpers' actually do will be very interesting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can they be trusted? Will ideology win when in the secrecy of the ballot box?

I couldn't stand Corbyn, and was very vocally against him. And on election morning, i thought Id make a protest vote elsewhere. But when in the ballot box, I felt I couldn't abandon the party Ive supported since I started voting, and in the end, voted Labour/Corbyn.

I was a minority as loads of lifelong Labours in North England abandoned their party and voted Conservative/Boris, which is what gave him his landslide.

So seeing what 'Never Trumpers' actually do will be very interesting.
Its a complicated situation. The GOP base has apparently been reduced to 28% from 33 during Trump's time in office, and most of them (imo) will simply sit it out instead of voting for Biden (which also tacitly hurts Trump). This is why Biden is smart to avoid the court packing issue before the election - since if he says he will do it, it would disincentivize never Trumpers from voting for him since they would in essence be voting against their own interests in a post-Trump GOP.

Stacks

Who honestly gives a feck? LBJ is richer than 32 Cent (or whatever he would be after taxes), don’t hear LBJ crying like this.
I believe Joe Rogan, Chapelle and some comedians complained about a proposed 70% tax on earnings above 10million. LBJ won't say anything that rocks the boat but don't mean he ain't seething. 50 cent speaks his mind. Lebron just bought his 5 year old daughter her own mini house in the garden of his mansion. He loves his money. He also wants his own NBA franchise one day. He needs his money stacked to do that. He ain't gonna get there anytime soon by giving away 2/3rds of his income.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I believe Joe Rogan, Chapelle and some comedians complained about a proposed 70% tax on earnings above 10million. LBJ won't say anything that rocks the boat but don't mean he ain't seething. 50 cent speaks his mind. Lebron just bought his 5 year old daughter her own mini house in the garden of his mansion. He loves his money. He also wants his own NBA franchise one day. He needs his money stacked to do that. He ain't gonna get there anytime soon by giving away 2/3rds of his income.
Ain’t gonna get too many sane people feeling sorry for those who make over $10 million & them having to pay a hefty share of tax.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They all appear to be doing what most voters do - vote based on self-interest.

Stacks

Ain’t gonna get too many sane people feeling sorry for those who make over $10 million & them having to pay a hefty share of tax.
Its not about a hefty share. It's about your government being entitled to 2/3rds of your income, which they had nothing to do with generating. Anyone would be pissed about keeping a smaller share of their own earnings.
100%. who the hell doesn't?

Abizzz

The fact people equate their self interest with their tax rate is responsible for a lot of the woes society faces today. It may well be in their interest to live in a functioning country, one with functioning healthcare and disease management, if they plan on making 10 million in the future (the comedians especially).

Stacks

The fact people equate their self interest with their tax rate is responsible for a lot of the woes society faces today. It may well be in their interest to live in a functioning country, one with functioning healthcare and disease management, if they plan on making 10 million in the future (the comedians especially).
They have a country that functions at a higher capacity than most, hence the 1million people that immigrate there every year. They could also actually tax the uber rich (billionaires), reduce tax avoidance and inheritance tax schemes and those funds would make a difference. Also they spend far too much on weapons and defence. I doubt good old Joe nor Trump will make life more difficult for their Billionaire donors though. touch the wealthy but not the "uber" wealthy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Its not about a hefty share. It's about your government being entitled to 2/3rds of your income, which they had nothing to do with generating. Anyone would be pissed about keeping a smaller share of their own earnings.

Difficult to say that the government had ‘nothing’ to do with them generating the income. We can argue about percentages of income tax vs. how much someone makes, but at some point, there’s a certain amount of income that should make someone comfortable & being taxed a higher rate shouldn’t really affect that comfortability. No tears from me, wouldn’t cry one if I had more income tax levied on me.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

That’s not how Tax works. It’s not Two-Thirds of everything they earn. It’s 62% of everything above $400,000.

Which is insane. True.

But the money has to come from somewhere. I’d suggest they tax companies by the cnutload and the likes of Rogan would earn less to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.