2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
By the way - what's up with Jorgensen pulling 3% in the polls? Spoiler candidate again?
She's the libertarian. If she's pulling from anyone, she's pulling from Trump. Just like Gary Johnson had a higher percentage than Jill Stein nationally and in every swing state in 2016.
Nevertheless 3% does seem high., though in her case, the higher the better.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ha too good. Though i dont want to laugh too much bc I remember all the Rs comparing Obama to Hitler and distributing pics of him with the mustache even. I don't want to stoop that low.
That's not stooping low. Comparing Bush to Hitler was more or less the same as comparing Obama to Hitler, but the rise of Trumpism has many parallels with the rise of fascism. Doesn't mean Trump is going to turn the US into Nazi Germany, but it does mean the world should be watching closely.

GiddyUp

Difficult to say that the government had ‘nothing’ to do with them generating the income. We can argue about percentages of income tax vs. how much someone makes, but at some point, there’s a certain amount of income that should make someone comfortable & being taxed a higher rate shouldn’t really affect that comfortability. No tears from me, wouldn’t cry one if I had more income tax levied on me.
Exactly, look at trump. He is the business and he writes off his hair and makeup as a business expense. They are gaming the system while teachers can't even claim more than $200 on materials they have to buy for their students. feck the rich and feck celebrities.

GiddyUp

This is not an argument against paying tax!

No more money was spent on sports stars or wealthy comedians than anyone else in the country including those who are poor. The point is if I grew up in the ghettos of Akron and my athletic ability allowed me to excel and revenue is generated by regular Joe's who pay to watch me play, as well as shirt sales, sponsorships etc, in what capacity is the government owed 60% + of my earnings?
Nearly every large stadium in this country was built on tax payer funding. The companies that make the merchandise are on huge tax breaks for producing off shore, the companies that pay sponsorship very rarely pay their fair share and on and on and on it goes. The people and companies you are talking about have expensive tax accountants, lawyers and lobbyists while the real small businesses get fecked and their employees shafted. Are you a millionaire?

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Sorry if posted before.

Joe Buck and Aikman on "hot mic" after a military fly-over

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Sorry if posted before.

Joe Buck and Aikman on "hot mic" after a military fly-over

Those comments on it :lol:

Know several folks who are avid Trump fans and yelled high and low they d stop watching the NFL over the BLM stuff etc. Did they actually stop? No. Are they still watching just about every game, do fantasy football, etc? Yes - bc thats literally part of their identity. Hot air.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
This is a great point.
I had a FB debate over this a few years ago when I was pointing out the breaks those making tens of millions get. One GOP backer actually asked why I was against accumulating wealth. I wasn't against accumulation, I tried to explain I was against loopholes and tax breaks. I got the same ol' "they stimulate the economy" and trickle down bullshit, that "even if they pay 25% that's more in taxes than you make in a year!", which is a fallacious point. But others pointed out some making far less may pay more in percentage of income than the uber wealthy. I eventually gave up on further debate. The weird bit being the person I debated doesn't make a six figure income and is a regular Joe, albeit a now retired military member.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not a big fan of this possibility, but why do you not keep this close to the vest until after the election?

I’d rather play protracted defense smoothly for the rest of the campaign than have self-inflicted wounds like these. Don’t see the obvious upside in this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is the sort of stuff that gets me worried about a trump victory in November.

It's just the same playbook as 2016.
Except this is Biden, who doesn't have Hillary's negatives, plus he's male which will help. It was already known he would be "reaching across the aisle".

Sweet Square

Not a big fan of this possibility, but why do you not keep this close to the vest until after the election?

I’d rather play protracted defense smoothly for the rest of the campaign than have self-inflicted wounds like these. Don’t see the obvious upside in this.
I can only guess it's a play to win over and keep former republicans who have now jumped ship to Biden. But really it could also just be Biden honest view on how he wants to govern in the future.

Agree with you that I can't see any upside to this, Biden should just shut up until election day.

Except this is Biden, who doesn't have Hillary's negatives, plus he's male which will help. It was already known he would be "reaching across the aisle".
You're right and the numbers so far show Biden further ahead than Clinton in 2016 but I'm still worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.