2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donut

I was so invested in this even as a European. It’s time to completely cut off all American politics for me now, this is just too depressing. At least I don’t leave in the USA, but I really feel for the poor 50% of the sane people there. Evil has truly won.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Anyone that voted for Trump is either a racist/sexist/etc and voted for him for those reasons, or they are not racist/sexist/etc directly themselves but have no problem that Trump is. Those are the only two options.
That's a disgusting statement.

It's proof of what politics is in America at the moment though, completely polarized and nobody can see beyond their personalised news feed.
I am absolutely right and good and the other side are absolutely wrong and evil

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
America is a right wing country with an electoral system that gives one party advantage.
Democrats essentially have to massively over perform to win elections.
Has anyone asked why it is always the left seeking a perfect candidate and never the right?
Without Covid, this would have been a landslide for Trump. I find that staggering.

Siorac

It's proof of what politics is in America at the moment though, completely polarized and nobody can see beyond their personalised news feed.
But that's a factual statement. I don't think anyone arguing in good faith can deny that Trump is a racist, sexist, authoritarian asshole. If you like him, you have no problem with these things. What's disgusting about saying that?

Lemansky

My opinion is that you're 100% correct. I see this in Norway as well - there is a worryingly large number of uneducated Norwegians who are supporting the likes of Trump for those exact reasons you are listing. They do not care and/or have any knowledge about the actual political issues - it's about "owning" the other side.
I actually know highly educated Norwegians that support Trump... it’s a big minority here tough. But pretty incredible nonetheless.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

How can anyone that supports Trump not be racist/sexism/etc. or be okay with racism/sexism/etc.? You know, if they wouldn't they wouldn't vote him. It's an easy computation, really.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Bollocks.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Tell you what, the first time I meet a Trump voter who is not in one of those buckets (or possibly in the stupid/misinformed one as mentioned later) then I’ll agree with you.

Flying high

I don't believe that anyone who is a Trump supporter after the last four years can be convinced by policy talk. That's just not what they're about.

I don't know how well the Biden campaign did in reaching out to independents. I'm very much looking forward to the data about that. But my opinion is that we're in a culture war. It's all over the planet: it's about "owning the libs", it's about "stopping political correctness", it's about "the gay agenda", whatever the feck that is. Policy is now very much secondary to this - people align their policy positions to the candidates who represent them best in this culture struggle and not the other way around.
Yes. It's totally deliberate too. The right were very clearly starting to lose the argument over low taxes, so changed the argument.

SirAF

Ageist
I actually know highly educated Norwegians that support Trump... it’s a big minority here tough. But pretty incredible nonetheless.
Well, yeah. They do exist but there are, thankfully, very few of those. Most of the Trump rats in Norway are Frpr's.

Smores

My opinion is that you're 100% correct. I see this in Norway as well - there is a worryingly large number of uneducated Norwegians who are supporting the likes of Trump for those exact reasons you are listing. They do not care and/or have any knowledge about the actual political issues - it's about "owning" the other side.
And you don't win the battle there with soft gentle politics. I don't expect centrist parties across the world will take that on board though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And you don't win the battle there with soft gentle politics. I don't expect centrist parties across the world will take that on board though.
Establishment Democrats would prefer Trump to Bernie.

Abizzz

NYAS

True, people have strong opinions about things they have no idea about.
Think about how stupid the average person is. And then remind yourself that this person has the right to elect a head of state. Is it then really that surprising to see someone like Trump win?

I’ve always found it strange how much faith people have in the intelligence and altruism of others. Arguably it’s this delusion that leads to shock when something like this happens.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the DNC shoot themselves in the foot by smearing Tulsi Gabbard as a Russian asset. She has great centrist appeal, earned her stripes as a multi tour veteran, would have out-debated Trump with ease and put on a more energizing performance on the road.
She’s a charlatan with almost no support in the party. Also, most Dems don’t care if one is a veteran, so maybe she should try as a Republican.

InfiniteBoredom

MSNBC has WI lead down to 108k. There are roughly 211k mail absentees left to count in Milwaukee, and Biden needs to win around 3.5 to 1 to pull it off

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
What's happened in last 10 mins to see markets tumbling again. Some more positive trump news must have come out

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Olly didn’t use the word evil.

OleBoiii

Your post is actually illustrates something equally(or more) dangerous. Terrible human beings like Trump have been normalized and we're supposed to take them seriously. If not, then we've somehow been brainwashed by our news feed?

It's just common sense to be disgusted by Trump. If you like or don't have a problem with him, then you're either misinformed or.. Well, let's not go there.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Every time I read a post and notice it’s from baz my brain automatically deletes it. It’s incredible.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
America is a right wing country with an electoral system that gives one party advantage.
Democrats essentially have to massively over perform to win elections.
Has anyone asked why it is always the left seeking a perfect candidate and never the right?
Without Covid, this would have been a landslide for Trump. I find that staggering.
It's not a democracy as far as I'm concerned. They need to bin the two party system, get rid of the ridiculous gerrymandering, make voting a right for all citizens over the age of 18 (or whatever limit they want) and get in proportional representation in some form so votes on parties outside the big two aren't wasted.

InfiniteBoredom

Biden's lead is just 23k in nevada.. 2% ahead .. safe?
There’s another batch of about 80k votes from D heavy Clark county soon. Would push it back up.

Ultimately the margin would be around 20-30k. Both sides performed near identical to 2016, controlling for registration.

jungledrums

Come on, those people voted for Trump. They were not convinced by logical arguments, they were convinced by emotional ones. It's been tried to talk sense into them. They don't care about facts or well reasoned arguments, that's what needs to be understood.
You speak like there is one uniform view held by Trump voters. I acknowledge some cannot be reasoned with, just as you should acknowledge that some just need educating.

Status
Not open for further replies.