2021 American Civil War

I'm sure the very gentle people would have climbed over the barricade, wrists held out ready to be arrested, and then very quickly and quietly sat down to the side to allow the police to then immediately repeat the same on the next non-threating individual. Then once every protestor/criminal/terrorist have been detained then will all start applauding the five fine gentlemen for their efforts.
I swear that's the only way Drainy must be imagining the situation :lol:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ridiculous post, if she was alone, that's exactly what would've happened.

If you and a massive mob breached the Bermudian senate, they'd be a line where you 100% would be shot, same in Westminster, no doubt.
If you did it alone just for shits and giggles, sure. These were 10 000+ terrorists who wanted to overthrow the government. They brought 2 bombs.
I meant more as a general principle of how the police should react and treat their fellow citizens. We shouldn't be shocked by seeing them behave like humans, but it is shocking because of how they often behave in other cirucmstances.

Yesterday I'm absolutely flabbergasted that those same police didn't kill dozens. And they would have been justified, 100% if they had.

I'm not saying this to excuse the woman who was killed: as another poster pointed out she's the early leader in the Darwin awards.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm sure the very gentle people would have climbed over the barricade, wrists held out ready to be arrested, and then very quickly and quietly sat down to the side to allow the police to then immediately repeat the same on the next non-threating individual. Then once every protestor/criminal/terrorist have been detained then will all start applauding the five fine gentlemen for their efforts.
The name of officer? Albert Einstein.

b82REZ

To be fair mate, have you seen the moment the mob overpowered authorities on the outside? They stood back, then when people started running at the building, they attempted to push them back, failed because they were vastly understaffed.

You can talk all day about 'whatifs' etc. The facts we know:

- The mob knew it was unlawful to enter that building. They did it anyway.
- The mob knew it was unlawful to damage property. They did it anyway
- The mob knew it was unlawful to attack authorities. They did it anyway.

They continued onwards to break the law. All that was happening was an escalation. Continuing to allow that mob deeper into the chambers, what's next? A violent attack on a member of government? If that police officer/authority figure goes and pushes that woman back through the window, they push back, and they outnumber them 10x over. That's exactly what was happening the whole time and why they got so far in. Because they were ignoring the 'Stay back or we'll shoot' threat, it was an empty threat to the mob. Peoples life were in danger, and the whole situation was snowballing. The moment the trigger was actually pulled, it was a wake up call to those people.

"Oh shit, they actually will shoot".
Exactly this.

The previous threats of "we'll shoot" had been ignored. At what point do people expect the massively outnumbered police to act on these words?

If anything this shooting lead to the crowd realising they weren't simply going to march into the senate and hold politicians hostage and stopped them pushing further into the building. The outcome, while sad, was inevitable, and if anything it probably saved dozens of others lives.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The woman probably lived in her own reality. One in which she was doing the right thing. The people entering the building are incredibly good at blending out facts and common sense. She probably didn't even realize how serious their offense was and how dangerous the situation she got herself into was.

However, this is almost the definition of self-inflicted. There's absolutely zero basis to criticize the officer who shot her. This isn't some George Floyd story, she brought this upon herself. That she didn't understand she was on the edge of becoming a martyr is a testament how far those people have distanced themselves from reality and how invincible they feel when gathered in masses.

I fear all this will escalate and then it becomes very ugly. They don't really get what civil war and fighting against the military looks like.
Maybe it's naive on my part but I would have assumed a 14 year veteran who served four tours of duty might be able to assess that trying to break through a guarded door while the people inside have their guns pointed at you is a relatively dangerous situation.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Physically beat is better than shooting dead and look what happened when they became physical, the invaders were beaten back.

Obviously I'm sitting at home judging the interaction but I would rather the police valued life rather than justifying deaths with 'they were a criminal and maybe a threat to their life because of uncertainty'
Law enforcement are taught only to shoot to kill. We've had a whole spiel on this in another thread so I won't repeat it, but they're not trained to wound/deter. If a law enforcement officer discharges their firearm it is as a last resort and it is designed to be fatal. It sucks, but there are reasons, and it's how they're trained.

Anyone who thinks that half a dozen police could have controlled that situation peacefully has never been in a charged situation.

Imo the only way to have controlled that mob without violence would have been if the inciter himself - in person - stood up and told them to stop.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I meant more as a general principle of how the police should react and treat their fellow citizens. We shouldn't be shocked by seeing them behave like humans, but it is shocking because of how they often behave in other cirucmstances.

Yesterday I'm absolutely flabbergasted that those same police didn't kill dozens. And they would have been justified, 100% if they had.

I'm not saying this to excuse the woman who was killed: as another poster pointed out she's the early leader in the Darwin awards.
All good, we're in agreement. If this was a hell of a lot smaller and without the bombs they absolutely should have been arrested instead of using deadly force.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That's not how it was happening though.

The barricade was creating a bottleneck so one person at a time would be coming through (even though she was only standing on the barricade at the time, no doubt she would be coming through) but she would be vulnerable and able to be physically detained and arrested or beaten back.
They weren’t playing tag.

They weren’t playing tag.
His next post will be how one cop should have gone alone to that bottleneck and starting twatting people, one vs. a mob. That one officer would then be right in the line of sight for the others charged with protecting that "no pass line", blocking their view to anything going on, the fighting officer and the others would have no clue if someone in the mob pulled out a firearm like, but let's ignore that too.

They all sound like wonderful ideas if the mob nicely play to the rules, don't fight back, none of them are armed and they all politely take turns to get beaten up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The woman probably lived in her own reality. One in which she was doing the right thing. The people entering the building are incredibly good at blending out facts and common sense. She probably didn't even realize how serious their offense was and how dangerous the situation she got herself into was.

However, this is almost the definition of self-inflicted. There's absolutely zero basis to criticize the officer who shot her. This isn't some George Floyd story, she brought this upon herself. That she didn't understand she was on the edge of becoming a martyr is a testament how far those people have distanced themselves from reality and how invincible they feel when gathered in masses.

I fear all this will escalate and then it becomes very ugly. They don't really get what civil war and fighting against the military looks like.
Her social media is still visible. Here’s a tame, yet representative, post...

She definitely wasn’t inhabiting the same reality the majority of us are.

Her radicalization was clearly evident.

Infra-red

There's no telling what could have happened if she breached the chambers. The mob had entered the building pretty much unchallenged, imagine if they started pouring in there with only 4 cops in the room to protect everyone and restore order. The shot was brutal, and I have sympathy for the woman, but it was the only thing that finally stopped the mob.
I can't disagree too much. As I said, I'm amazed that many, many more people weren't shot (and if they had been, they really couldn't not have complained). Given the circumstances, I certainly wouldn't expect the officer who fired the bullet to face any kind of disciplinary action, but watching the video (admittedly in the cold light of day in the comfort of my home), it did look like it might have been been possible to avoid it in that moment. It is, after all, a human life, as imbecilic as that individual may be.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

"she was a great person who loved her country"

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not the population as the whole, but more and more are falling victim to the whole right wing type of Christianity.
Numbers of religious are dropping in the US, but the virulent strain of mental delusion that is evangelical / dominion christianity is still prosperous & affected a take over of the government in the 90s through the likes of Ralph Reed, etc. in broad daylight. And its grip has only gotten tighter since.

Suv666

I feel sorry for these people. Reckon about half have them have mental issues. Believing Democrats are child rapists and Trump is the second coming of Christ doesn't scream normal to me.

https://youtu.be/E1L9Rb0LADg

Reminds me of this fascinating interview with a schizophrenic. This is exactly what Q folks sound like.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Physically beat is better than shooting dead and look what happened when they became physical, the invaders were beaten back.

Obviously I'm sitting at home judging the interaction but I would rather the police valued life rather than justifying deaths with 'they were a criminal and maybe a threat to their life because of uncertainty'
Do you honestly not understand that you can not control a situation if you're vastly outnumbered? Especially without lethal force? They concede that open window and it probably takes less than a minute until they are evenly matched in numbers. Then what? Start shooting then? Stand down and hope the angry mob won't turn violent against you or the politicians they hate?
The failure of law enforcement occured when it didn't allocate enough ressources to contain the mob outside the building.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Only a matter of minutes until Trump is back up on Twitter.

We could be seeing the end of a presidency in real time here shortly.

Drainy

Ah so now we've used our brain enough to realise that arresting was not an option. Excellent.

So now the police should holster their weapons and go beat up the protestor, and then as others come through, how many cops can beat up 50 people?
Have you used your brain enough to gather that I'm not against the use of force, but it should be the least amount of force necessary to effectuate the lawful task? I could swear I already made that clear

Drainy

Do you honestly not understand that you can not control a situation if you're vastly outnumbered? Especially without lethal force? They concede that open window and it probably takes less than a minute until they are evenly matched in numbers. Then what? Start shooting then? Stand down and hope the angry mob won't turn violent against you or the politicians they hate?
The failure of law enforcement occured when it didn't allocate enough ressources to contain the mob outside the building.
What would they do in Europe? Or in a more Liberal Asian country?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In France they most likely would have been beaten down in front of parliament for hours and then be prosecuted immediately. If some of them managed to get that far, they would have been shot in similar circumstances.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Maybe it's naive on my part but I would have assumed a 14 year veteran who served four tours of duty might be able to assess that trying to break through a guarded door while the people inside have their guns pointed at you is a relatively dangerous situation.

In a more abstract sense, I think Trumpism is all about cognitive dissonances. There are things you want to believe, maybe because they are more comfortable to you, (e. g. "covid isn't that bad, I can still go out", "climate change isn't real, I don't need to change my lifestyle", "the immigrants are to blame for my unemployment, not me, I don't need to change and am fine the way I am") and there are facts which might contradict those views (science primarily). Then you can either adapt your opinion and accept the uncomfortable or build constructs in your head (conspiracy theories) that delegitimize the unpleasant truths. However, Trump tells people what they want to hear and it makes it easier for them to blend out facts and logic. He gives them easy ways out to live how they want to live against better knowledge and they give in to their basic instincts (blaming others, etc.) instead of using their brains.

I think we're beginning to witness the pinnacle of this mindset. They were "protesting" in their echo chamber, probably told themselves on and on again that they're the people, the silent majority, that cops and military are on their side and that nothing would harm them. In the same way, they convince themselves that semiautomatic rifles and some improvised gun range shooting prepares them for a battle with trained forces.

Thing is, in the end the fate of this woman might be symbolic for what's coming. Trump will not leave it at that, he'll escalate things further. The institutions have been really inconsequential with Trump supporters' wrong doings in the past and that has probably only confirmed their illusion of invincinbility. But if things continue like this, at some point the military has to intervene. Just like this woman probably didn't even entertain the thought that she might die if she ignores the warnings of the police, they won't know what they got themselves into until it's too late.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Presumably these thick cnuts are all still in DC and watched their reps 'betray' them last night by certifying the vote. I wonder what they will all do after they've had their waffles.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Presumably these thick cnuts are all still in DC and watched their reps 'betray' them last night by certifying the vote. I wonder what they will all do after they've had their waffles.
Sob uncontrollably.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Be good if people tried to understand that even idiots deserve to live if it can be helped
Would be good if people tried to understand that the idiot in question was 100% to blame and that the shooter had no choice.
But we can't have everything.

b82REZ

On 22 March 2017, a terrorist attack took place outside the Palace of Westminster in London, seat of the British Parliament. The attacker, 52-year-old Briton Khalid Masood, drove a car into pedestrians on the pavement along the south side of Westminster Bridge and Bridge Street, injuring more than 50 people, four of them fatally. He then crashed the car into the perimeter fence of the Palace grounds and ran into New Palace Yard, where he fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer. He was then shot by an armed police officer, and died at the scene.