2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Congratulations, I see she took gold! Great achievement for her and your country :)
Thank you! Feels like it's going to practically be a national holiday here today, literally everyone I know was celebrating last night :)

United Hobbit

Surfing on Eurosport 2 @United Hobbit
Ah thanks for the tag, unfortunately I didn't see the notification, however BBC showed some of it, with the Brazilian and Japanese surfers. I had it on in the background while I worked so will rewatch on iplayer later, one of them looked to take a huge tumble into the water, breaking his board. It's not an "every day" sport in the UK so would be nice to see more of it, unfortunately I don't have euro sports.

Agent Red

It feels a bit galling that Russia are essentially being allowed to compete as normal. I feel some sympathy for the athletes given many of them won't have been involved/had any say in the matter but I'm not sure the absence of the flag and anthem means anything when you're still allowed to compete under a name with 'Russia' in the title and in your national colours. I think it would mean more if their athletes were still allowed to compete but under something more neutral.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It feels a bit galling that Russia are essentially being allowed to compete as normal. I feel some sympathy for the athletes given many of them won't have been involved/had any say in the matter but I'm not sure the absence of the flag and anthem means anything when you're still allowed to compete under a name with 'Russia' in the title and in your national colours. I think it would mean more if their athletes were still allowed to compete but under something more neutral.
Didn't they compete under a neutral banner in 2016?

U99ted

Didn't they compete under a neutral banner in 2016?
Nope, competed as Russia. It was in the last 2 World Athletics Championships that they had to compete as “Authorised Neutral Athletes”.

I think Russian athletes should’ve been made to compete under the “Independent Olympic Athletes” banner that has been used for banned nations.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Nope, competed as Russia. It was in the last 2 World Athletics Championships that they had to compete as “Authorised Neutral Athletes”.

I think Russian athletes should’ve been made to compete under the “Independent Olympic Athletes” banner that has been used for banned nations.
That's where I've seen it then. Cheers.

Isn't there some talk of the football team not being allowed to compete as Russia should they qualify for next year's World Cup?

Agent Red

Agreed

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Russia are taking this team comp. it’s real strange with Biles, it really didn’t seem like an injury. Intriguing. Super sad either way for her, amount of pressure on her must be unreal.

Parma Dewol

Do the BBC get a bonus for switching the coverage to another channel every five minutes? Bloody annoying.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Russians ruining everything on the beam :eek:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Wonder what kind of injury it is, seemed like a minor annoyance at the moment itself. Hopefully healthy again for the rest of the competitions.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Watching the softball final. Have no clue what’s going on. Thought baseball was hard to understand but this is next level :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Wonder what kind of injury it is, seemed like a minor annoyance at the moment itself. Hopefully healthy again for the rest of the competitions.
Reports are it's a mental issue. Wouldn't be desperately surprising if someone with as much attention/pressure as Biles was to find it too much for once.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's the USA fecked, Chiles lost the plot there at the end.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sunisa Lee vs Nina Derwael at the uneven bars is gonna be a final of never seen before quality. Incredible stuff both of them.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Crikey, we won a bronze! Don't think I saw more than two of our competitors.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Feck, 4th :(

Amazing from the russians

Hope Biles can recover for the individual events

U99ted

Had no idea we were about to get a bronze in gymnastics- I had it on in the background, and whenever they weren't talking about Russia vs US for gold, I kept hearing of how well Italy and France were doing :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Estonia won gold in the women's team epee :eek: