2024 U.S. Elections

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Best outcome would be that the Republicans go for someone else and Trump then runs as a third-party candidate. That would ensure a Democrat win.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The midterm results have me confident Trump is finished. He’s also been holding rally’s over the last couple of years where like 40 or 50 people turn up if he’s lucky. He’s completely finished, yes he might have a core and yes the GOP would turn out for him but there’s no way he would have enough independent support.

WPMUFC

Best outcome would be that the Republicans go for someone else and Trump then runs as a third-party candidate. That would ensure a Democrat win.
Agree, he needs to win a hand full of minor states in the primary to inflame his giant ego enough to stay in as 3rd party, but lose the actual nomination.

From there dems could potentially get a "free hit" at replacing Biden.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
DeSantis would be almost guaranteed to win against Biden if he were the Republican candidate but Trump just cannot keep himself away. A bit insane that everyone already though both Trump and Biden were too old to run in 2020 and we'll actually see both of them run again in 2024.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trump will grift the hell out of the people donating to his campaign.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Trump will grift the hell out of the people donating to his campaign.
This is why I want him to run. The saying "more money than sense" needs a huge realignment in large parts of America. This will obviously leave the Stupid in poverty but that in itself will be a blessing in the long run.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The midterm results have me confident Trump is finished. He’s also been holding rally’s over the last couple of years where like 40 or 50 people turn up if he’s lucky. He’s completely finished, yes he might have a core and yes the GOP would turn out for him but there’s no way he would have enough independent support.
I’m no expert. Kind of thinking aloud here; crystal ball session. Seems like Onaldrump could have multiple opponents in the GOP nomination battle, which will be to his advantage. All he needs is to consolidate his 35/40% of Goppers to win against a split field. So his opponents would need to get behind one challenger, probably de Santis, to beat mr ex-prez. Hard to see that happening. So—seems likely—he becomes candidate, with a shiny new VP.

When I try to picture that, the screen flickers. Something is wrong. My gut tells me it’s going to be complicated for him; He has too many enemies. The law. Maybe he gets indicted, say in Georgia. Or a Special Council looms above his head. Or Mike Pence’s fly sits on his tie. Liz Cheney develops superpowers… McConnell smiles wickedly and casts a magic spell.

On the other hand, if Onald makes it through the burning house to actually run again—what then? The run, across two campaigns, and long months, will cause great upheaval within the party and beyond. He gets back on Twitter. That might not erode his core support, but it certainly does not grow it. And all the shouting and whining is wearying and off-putting for undecided and floating voters. He faces too energised an opposition, nationally. Probably not even a massive recession, or geopolitical firestorm could save him.

Seems safe to conclude he is unelectable as president, and the trend will see his playbook/style fall out of fashion for the foreseeable. He is—as most commentators agree—a kind of spiritual ball and chain, a karmic curse on the Republican Party.

His candidacy will also cause soul-searching for Dems; and might lead to the unwise choice of a second run for Biden.

Own Goals by the Opposition may be ‘Onald’s Only ‘Ope.

Mike Smalling

If Biden is running 2024 I'd bet my 1 month lunch Trump's gonna win.
Democrats will find a way to make this close, if Trump wins the primary. Biden is too old, and Harris is not charismatic or popular enough. They need something new. I sorta like Pete Buttigieg, but I don't think he has broad appeal. Gavin Newsom maybe?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Him running as an independent would be sweeet.

WPMUFC

comes down to DeSantis. I think there is a good chance he side steps this clown show to take over in 26 mid-terms. If Trump gets a free run....i'll start to worry again.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Democrats will find a way to make this close, if Trump wins the primary. Biden is too old, and Harris is not charismatic or popular enough. They need something new. I sorta like Pete Buttigieg, but I don't think he has broad appeal. Gavin Newsom maybe?
He's too Californian Liberal.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Honestly don’t think he would get more than 15% of the vote. Obviously they would be enough for him however is the Den candidate to cruise.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Honestly don’t think he would get more than 15% of the vote. Obviously they would be enough for him however is the Den candidate to cruise.
Exactly. He'd take away enough Republican votes that it would be an easy win.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Exactly. He'd take away enough Republican votes that it would be an easy win.
I’d be more interested to know what that would do to turnout and down ticket Rs

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The potential for a Republican Civil War is obviously there and, after the midterm defeats, will definitely feel enticing but like @sport2793 I worry about people underestimating him. There is a still a good chance Desantis, who is still young, simply chooses to wait and not deal with the clown show which essentially forces the GOP to come together behind Trump again despite there being a clear set of conservatives that are sick and tired of Trump - the base and some of the establishment. Then we have the prospect of that slimeball Musk letting him back on tweeting. This is really just disappointing because Trump is absolutely exhausting. I get that some people that don't live in the US might find his total shitshow amusing but living in the US, I don't think it's funny at all, it's just dangerous and brutally tiresome.

The danger is also that Biden is older than Trump and has struggled with appearing cognitively up for the task which has affected some independent's perceptions. It would not be good to underestimate Trump, it's time for vigilance not laughs.

Hamnat

I don't think anyone is "underestimating" Trump really. Voters have spoken in 3 different cycles now. And have largely rejected both Trump and his band of crazies. Some are close races yes, a few made it through in deep red states and counties. But, by large it isn't just a "feeling" that we are sick of Trump. It has been shown at the ballot box.

Even with Biden's low approval rating he still had one of the better midterms in decades for any incumbent. And if not for New York it looks like Dems could have kept the House too. Even the GOP are sick of Trump and its obvious. The difference is they created a monster gave him the keys to their fortunes and can't control him. So yes he can waltz right into this race like the Impeachment committee told them would happen.

What is his message going to be that will resonate now that didn't before? Ivanka and Jared are even out this time and want nothing to do with politics. Has he changed? Is he going to be less racist? Just weeks ago he was lamenting the harsh treatment of his Jan 6 mob in jail and courtrooms. So he certainly isn't sorry he sent them to attack the capital. He isn't sorry he took Confidential documents to Mara lago and had to get raided to get them back. He learned and reflected on his years of election denial? NOPE. Hasn't changed still lying spreading conspiracies.

There is visceral HATRED for Trump that motivates voters against him. Meanwhile his supporters he let die from COVID and tainted them thinking elections are rigged anyway.