2024 U.S. Elections

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Speaking of Trump's VP pick, who does he probably choose? Does Haley grovel for the position?
I'm leaning towards Tim Scott or Kristi Noem. Although, if he wants a better chance, he would go with Haley. The question is, would she be interested after having jumped off the Trump train and criticized him post Jan 6th.

owlo

If she wasn't so pro life, I'd say Biden should pick Haley as VP.

InfiniteBoredom

That’s a non-starter, he would pick up no Republican at the cost of alienating his own base, especially black women if he kicks Harris out (for anybody).

These unity/cross party ticket sounds good in the ears of political strategists, but they don’t work with the current level of polarisation.

ManUtd1999

I’m a Biden voter, but no to Haley. I liked her before she went with Trump. No way I would want her on the Democratic ticket. Keep Harris and we have a good chance to win. We’re motivated more than those talking heads on TV would want you to believe.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
These people are still on about "the war on christmas", seriously?

ManUtd1999

Thank you for sharing.

As I said recently, no poll showing Trump winning Gen Z ( the young vote more generally) should be taken seriously. This group will likely be 60-40 Biden or better (we will see the impact of the war in the ME on their vote, but Trump won’t win this group).

The United

Thank you for sharing.

As I said recently, no poll showing Trump winning Gen Z ( the young vote more generally) should be taken seriously. This group will likely be 60-40 Biden or better (we will see the impact of the war in the ME on their vote, but Trump won’t win this group).
They are not exactly well-known for going out and voting significantly, even though their turn-out has been pretty decent lately. I am just not sure how reliable their votes will be to offset the other groups if Biden is doing badly with them.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Time to get Newsom to run

Newsom isn't going to win any primary unless Biden agrees to step down after his first term, which i think that he should do, i think he can beat Trump, but he is not the strongest candidate, and is old.

When it comes to this conflict though, there really is no winning, politically.
Israel is toxic to young people, gaza is toxic to fence-sitting boomers etc.

You lose people either ways.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Newsom isn't going to win any primary unless Biden agrees to step down after his first term, which i think that he should do, i think he can beat Trump, but he is not the strongest candidate, and is old.

When it comes to this conflict though, there really is no winning, politically.
Israel is toxic to young people, gaza is toxic to fence-sitting boomers etc.

You lose people either ways.
There was a poll out yesterday suggesting 56% of Dems have a problem with Biden's age (his policies were a distance 2nd in the single digits). This is why imo, Newsom or Whitmer would be much better received, especially as a POTUS/VP ticket.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not really sure what the VP does, I see Harris on the news once in a blue moon. Couldn't Michelle Obama just step in as VP, seal the deal for Biden and then basically do nothing for 4 years? Probably no one would notice.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
There was a poll out yesterday suggesting 56% of Dems have a problem with Biden's age (his policies were a distance 2nd in the single digits). This is why imo, Newsom or Whitmer would be much better received, especially as a POTUS/VP ticket.
Dem primary voters also doesn't have the slightest clue who should be their nominee outside Biden though, and would by all likelihood just default to the sitting president, at the end of the day.

No, Biden has to be convinced to quit, sounds like a job for Obama, his wife, people close to him and so on, but it doesn't look like he wants to.

And as i have said earlier, even though Biden out probably is a good thing, its not entirely without risks, dem primary voters don't know who the heck they want, so Kamala Harris could well be the nominee, which is less likely to win than Biden is.

RedDevilQuebecois

If Biden has to choose to not push a bid for 2024 and thus leave the entire field for other candidates on the Democratic side, what is the latest time to do so?

The last time that an incumbent declined a bid for another term, it was Lyndon Johnson in 1968. He waited until March 31 to make an announcement, but that was a long time ago with a different timeline/format for the primaries.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Biden has to choose to not push a bid for 2024 and thus leave the entire field for other candidates on the Democratic side, what is the latest time to do so?
Probably in late Jan or early Feb when primary season starts. That would still make it hard for a Dem replacement to create a brand new campaign infrastructure to compete in the primaries, so the earlier the better. I don't think he does it since he doesn't want to be the guy who is remembered for allowing Trump back in (even though staying may well have the same result).

The United

It is hard to imagine that Biden would back out now (unless it is an emergency). He kept saying how the world was at some intersection and he needed to fix it, yada yada.

Fergies Gum

Biden is in no fit state to run. Its been obvious for a while but some of the footage i have seen in the last 2-3 weeks has been alarming. The guy is just not all there any more.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Biden is in no fit state to run. Its been obvious for a while but some of the footage i have seen in the last 2-3 weeks has been alarming. The guy is just not all there any more.
The same could equally be said about Trump

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The same could equally be said about Trump
He was never fit, neither in 2016. But even now that he got worse, the perception is not there with him. Bidden is perceived like senile, while Trump as crazy, but the latest is nothing new

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine losing to a twice impeached former president with convictions hanging over his head.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Looking at it from far away, American politics appear in complete disarray. Two choices for the most important job in the world and one is a criminal shyster who’s promised to indict his political opponents when he wins, and the other will be pushing 83 by the next election and shows clear signs of mental decline (like his opponent, btw).

gaffs

Looking at it from far away, American politics appear in complete disarray. Two choices for the most important job in the world and one is a criminal shyster who’s promised to indict his political opponents when he wins, and the other will be pushing 83 by the next election and shows clear signs of mental decline (like his opponent, btw).
Pretty much sums it up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pretty spot on imo. Its still a "winner take all" two party system where the public and the nation are trapped between two terrible choices and forced to select between the lesser of two evils.

Last edited: