2024 U.S. Elections

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He's not going to jail, the social unrest stemming from that isn't worth the hassle, at most it will be a suspended sentence.

All of which is moot anyway if he wins the next election. Biden's numbers will probably rise a bit as the election approaches if the economy doesnt tank but the public perception of his poor mental acuity and economic handling (however unfair it is) has been so baked in, it can be a real danger to GOTV operation, with Trump being removed from office for 4 years a lot of the clownery and constant instability faded from people's mind and unless they get galvanized this time with abortion issue, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are in real danger (while Georgia is probably a lost cause even with his legal issues there).
Look at the election that happened about a week ago, does it really look like people are over the abortion issue?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He's not going to jail, the social unrest stemming from that isn't worth the hassle, at most it will be a suspended sentence.

All of which is moot anyway if he wins the next election. Biden's numbers will probably rise a bit as the election approaches if the economy doesnt tank but the public perception of his poor mental acuity and economic handling (however unfair it is) has been so baked in, it can be a real danger to GOTV operation, with Trump being removed from office for 4 years a lot of the clownery and constant instability faded from people's mind and unless they get galvanized this time with abortion issue, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are in real danger (while Georgia is probably a lost cause even with his legal issues there).
The abortion issue is going nowhere for a long time. It will be an election success bellwether for the Dems for the foreseeable future.

InfiniteBoredom

The abortion issue is going nowhere for a long time. It will be an election success bellwether for the Dems for the foreseeable future.
Yes, but in the specific context of the upcoming presidential election, that edge is dulled by Biden’s public image, voters can simultaneously vote for abortion rights at state level and Trump on national level, because infuriatingly the Cheeto has cultivated an image of himself not being a ‘traditional’ Republican (while signing every thing they put in front of him when in office). The challenge for Democrats will be to really link Trump and the hardline nuts together, so people can’t make that (false) distinction when voting.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yes, but in the specific context of the upcoming presidential election, that edge is dulled by Biden’s public image, voters can simultaneously vote for abortion rights at state level and Trump on national level, because infuriatingly the Cheeto has cultivated an image of himself not being a ‘traditional’ Republican (while signing every thing they put in front of him when in office). The challenge for Democrats will be to really link Trump and the hardline nuts together, so people can’t make that (false) distinction when voting.
And all Biden then needs to do is show Trump at his rallies bigging up his "achievement" of getting Roe vs Wade abolished - Trump owns this issue and is proud of it and it's probably the single biggest reason why he will lose

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There's multiple audio & video clips of Trump gleefully stating that he got rid of Roe. All the Dems need to do is make a 30 second ad with him on repeat stating such. That links Trump with the wackos extremely well, basically perfectly.

It's no longer just a state issue. Wacko Republicans are now making entreaties about a federal ban against abortion, another reason to tie Trump with the crazies. Just let his own words do the heavy lifting.

InfiniteBoredom

And all Biden then needs to do is show Trump at his rallies bigging up his "achievement" of getting Roe vs Wade abolished - Trump owns this issue and is proud of it and it's probably the single biggest reason why he will lose
There's multiple audio & video clips of Trump gleefully stating that he got rid of Roe. All the Dems need to do is make a 30 second ad with him on repeat stating such. That links Trump with the wackos extremely well, basically perfectly.

It's no longer just a state issue. Wacko Republicans are now making entreaties about a federal ban against abortion, another reason to tie Trump with the crazies. Just let his own words do the heavy lifting.
If people took the heinous shit he says seriously, he wouldn’t have been elected the first time.

We live in a weird time when a demonstrably rotten human being who can barely strings two coherent sentences together and had multiple bankruptcies is thought of as the one more capable of being a statesman and steering the economy.

Showing what he says isn’t enough, you have to slap people in the face with what he does. The messaging will have to be coordinated and relentless.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Add to this, there's been so much that has happened above and beyond him simply losing last time because the public rejected him. He's lost independents, which will make it nearly impossible for him to win in a head to head matchup against Biden. The only wildcards for next year are the trial results, third party candidates, and foreign election interference. We don't know if Putin will make another push to remove America's sanctions boot off his throat nor do we know what effect RFK or Stein/West/Manchin may have. This is going to be one of the most unusual elections ever given the converging question marks going in.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
If people took the heinous shit he says seriously, he wouldn’t have been elected the first time.

We live in a weird time when a demonstrably rotten human being who can barely strings two coherent sentences together and had multiple bankruptcies is thought of as the one more capable of being a statesman and steering the economy.

Showing what he says isn’t enough, you have to slap people in the face with what he does. The messaging will have to be coordinated and relentless.
Indeed but that is a mistake that has since been rectified, though in reality I'd say the reason Trump was elected in 2016 is because he wasn't named Clinton - if Biden had run in 2016 he'd have blown Trump away and we likely wouldn't have MAGA

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He’s legally exposed in all of them. If he’s convicted then he is going to jail. That doesn’t mean he is will be in an orange jump suit at Florence ADX. It will probably be the most lenient, country club incarceration available.
It will be Mar-a-Lago house arrest at the most, and he'll probably build a McDonald's in it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Add to this, there's been so much that has happened above and beyond him simply losing last time because the public rejected him. He's lost independents, which will make it nearly impossible for him to win in a head to head matchup against Biden. The only wildcards for next year are the trial results, third party candidates, and foreign election interference. We don't know if Putin will make another push to remove America's sanctions boot off his throat nor do we know what effect RFK or Stein/West/Manchin may have. This is going to be one of the most unusual elections ever given the converging question marks going in.
If only it was that simple. Other wildcards are going to be the two wars and the economy. He lost independents in 2020 but it's an assumption none of them will return. It's possible, as mentioned, with the short memories, the perception of the economy (which is more important than the reality), Biden trying to walk the thin line for both wars (he might have some of both the Jewish block AND the Palestinian sympathetic block stay home) and the fact Biden doesn't always sound very coherent when he speaks, that enough independents in the upper midwest swing states might return to Trump. Now is definitely not the time for Dems to get overconfident and assume its as simple as you lay out here. You also have to add in the effects of voter suppression in key states as well.

RedDevilQuebecois

It will be Mar-a-Lago house arrest at the most, and he'll probably build a McDonald's in it.
*Vomit emojis*

This would remind all of us on how pathetically soft US laws are towards former politicians, even though other cases former leaders of democratic nations being incarcerated exist as means to make an example out of Trump. Better learn the South Korean way quickly, US.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
*Vomit emojis*

This would remind all of us on how pathetically soft US laws are towards former politicians, even though other cases former leaders of democratic nations being incarcerated exist as means to make an example out of Trump. Better learn the South Korean way quickly, US.
The laws aren't soft, the people enforcing them maybe are

owlo

*Vomit emojis*

It’s just real politik. Much as we all want to see him in jail its just not feasible.

RedDevilQuebecois

It’s just real politik. Much as we all want to see him in jail its just not feasible.
How not feasible though? I remember that bit on Mehdi Hasan's show where he pointed out several examples of the incarceration conditions of those former leaders (Lula, Olmert, Fujimori, Park, Sarkozy). Sarkozy was probably the softest punishment as he is under house arrest with a GPS wristwatch attached to his ankle pending the moment when he will serve his one full year in jail, but those examples are there as references.

What I personally like about the South Korean way is that they don't feck around with such crimes from their own leaders. You are only like any ordinary citizen as soon as you are found guilty. A release from prison could happen if the convicted's health is deteriorating, I can live with that. Regardless, the list of American federal politicians who have been convicted of crimes is a lot longer than one might think.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How not feasible though? I remember that bit on Mehdi Hasan's show where he pointed out several examples of the incarceration conditions of those former leaders (Lula, Olmert, Fujimori, Park, Sarkozy). Sarkozy was probably the softest punishment as he is under house arrest with a GPS wristwatch attached to his ankle pending the moment when he will serve his one full year in jail, but those examples are there as references.

What I personally like about the South Korean way is that they don't feck around with such crimes from their own leaders. You are only like any ordinary citizen as soon as you are found guilty. A release from prison could happen if the convicted's health is deteriorating, I can live with that. Regardless, the list of American federal politicians who have been convicted of crimes is a lot longer than one might think.
The idea that it isn’t feasible is grounded in Trump fatigue and a cynicism that the system doesn’t penalize the powerful and wealthy, especially ex-Presidents. He’s facing 78 counts and up to 641 years in prison across multiple trials, so yes it’s both feasible and realistic.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Manchin is as worried about a 2nd term of Trump as he claims to be, perhaps don't run as a spoiler candidate then.

Guy is delusional if he thinks he actually has a chance of becoming president.

owlo

The secret service protection is the big one for me. By rights he should already be in jail [for contempt of court] and I can't imagine any other defendant wouldn't be. The state trials are a possibility I suppose, but it seems like a constitutional and logistical nightmare from all I've read.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The secret service protection is the big one for me. By rights he should already be in jail [for contempt of court] and I can't imagine any other defendant wouldn't be. The state trials are a possibility I suppose, but it seems like a constitutional and logistical nightmare from all I've read.
If I was head of the Secret Service I'd assign agents that Trump would hate, Hispanic, Transgender, Gay, African-American and so on, although Trump is entitled to SS protection he can forgo it if he chooses to, let him go around spouting his hatred whilst being protected by the very same people he's railing against :D

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Everyone,

Chip Roy went on his rant because the GOP leadership didn't push shutting the government down! He is no hero, no moderate Republican, and no one the Dems can work with. His rant is because he wanted GOP leadership to threaten shutting down the government over the holidays to force more concessions from the House Dems! Don't look at that 30 second Twitter clip out of context.

"Thirteen Texas Republicans voted against their party’s bill Tuesday to keep the government funded through the year, though the bill was able to garner support from Democrats and pass in the U.S. House.

The measure, known as a continuing resolution, would keep the government funded at current spending levels until early next year as Congress works on appropriations legislation to finance the government for the whole fiscal year. House Speaker Mike Johnson presented the legislation over the weekend.

U.S. Reps. John Carter, Michael Cloud, Pat Fallon, Tony Gonzales, Lance Gooden, Wesley Hunt, Morgan Luttrell, Nathaniel Moran, Chip Roy, Keith Self, Beth Van Duyne, Randy Weber and Roger Williams voted against the bill — just over half the state’s GOP delegation.

The bill passed 336-95, with 93 Republicans and two Democrats voting against it. All Texas Democrats supported the bill.

Several deeply conservative members felt Republican leadership did not use the shutdown deadline to eke out stronger policy priorities."

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/11/14/government-shutdown-continuing-resolution/

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If Christie is serious about stopping Trump, he should drop out and endorse Haley.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Kari Lake is probably gonna lose the Arizona senate race for the GOP, just as she lost them the governorship.

In a way, she is playing the grift perfectly, she doesn't have to do any actual work, while scamming her followers for money.

She is doing what Trump was supposed to do in 2016, get close but not actually win, claim fraud and grift indefinitely.

He did want to win in 2020, sure, to run away from legal troubles and so on, but not the first time, I don't think.

Of course, it might be that Lake actually wants to win, but it sure don't seem like the main priority, at least.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Comparing a rigorous selection for talent that is professional sports - and that had it's racial awaking decades ago - to industries with thousands more qualified individuals and a history of elitism, nepotism, racism, etc. is stupid. Maybe had he compared professional sports ownership, management and coaching he'd have a better point but it would go against his bogus proclamation. I detest bullshit political asshattery like this, dogwhistling to the racists and all.

But considering who said this why should I be surprised.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kari Lake is probably gonna lose the Arizona senate race for the GOP, just as she lost them the governorship.

In a way, she is playing the grift perfectly, she doesn't have to do any actual work, while scamming her followers for money.

She is doing what Trump was supposed to do in 2016, get close but not actually win, claim fraud and grift indefinitely.

He did want to win in 2020, sure, to run away from legal troubles and so on, but not the first time, I don't think.

Of course, it might be that Lake actually wants to win, but it sure don't seem like the main priority, at least.
She’s doing it to remain nationally relevant in the fleeting hope Trump picks her as VP.

owlo

I think he goes for a pick that will be “completely loyal”