2nd string against Chelsea? Or do we risk more tiredness

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Honestly?

You can’t legislate for two appalling errors and an own goal. We have been poor, but a second string team would have been completely battered (even more so than this).
Yeah I mean this is terrible.

We could have at least had a second XI set up to be energetic, that alone would have been more then this.

We've looked tired and lethargic from the word go, a second XI could have at least kept it tight until an hour or so when you then bring in the big guns.

MiracleInMadrid

Criminal to have Bruno play 96 minutes today. He is up and down the field the entire match. It is like he doesn't have a stop button himself. Maguire, Lindlöf and AWB could have used a break as well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Honestly?

You can’t legislate for two appalling errors and an own goal. We have been poor, but a second string team would have been completely battered (even more so than this).
They were all over us. Wrong formation, wrong tactics and wrong team selected.

Easily beaten and NO first XI player rested.

A royal screw up

ZupZup

Treated the semifinal like it wasn’t a priority and got what we deserved.

Completely handed all the initiative to Chelsea from the get go. Should have played our best team in the system that has been working for them. All that confidence and momentum basically thrown away. We’re not a good enough team to be picky when the opportunity to win a trophy arises.

UnitedFan93

Fecking shambles.

If we're treating semi-finals like that, we might as well of thrown it in the third round, at least the players would've been much fresher then.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Didn't rest players and didn't play well because the formation was needlessly changed. Another absolute disasterclass from our manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2nd string or not, that was shambles. Should have give it more attention because its still a trophy to win regardless.
Should have rested AWB rashford and Bruno!

We were never winning that with 2 days rest we just couldn’t compete with the energy.

now all we’ve done is put more minutes into already tired leg. Waste of time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole fecked you all. He didn't start best 11 and still didn't avoid tiredness. Joke is on you

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All those who wanted to rest players, feeling good about this performance are we?
This is exactly why we said play the 2nd string. Did Bruno, rashford de Gea AWB play well? No.

resting them for a vital week against West Ham and Leicester was far more important, but now we’ve lost the cup and will probably lose top 4 also. Enjoy!

vangagal

Should have rested AWB rashford and Bruno!

We were never winning that with 2 days rest we just couldn’t compete with the energy.

now all we’ve done is put more minutes into already tired leg. Waste of time.
I didn't said we should start with 1st XI. Not just United cope with tired leg, Chelsea also had mixed starting XI if not almost their best XI. Should have been more proactive with gameplay during match.

Pav1878

What a moron. You almost seem glad we lost because you think it proves people wrong. Feck off man.
Of course I wanted us to lose, that's why I'm bothering to voice my opinion on this forum. If anyone is a moron it's you.

cyril C

I miss the days when an FA Cup semi final was considered a massive game.
One to be savoured.
Some of my best United memories are from semi finals.
85 against Liverpool and 99 against Arsenal being my favourites.
Sucks getting old.
The fact that FA refuse to reform their Cup meant it will always be 3rd priority over CL and EPL. Except for mid-tier clubs who has nothing to fight for, will priorities on FA (but then, Moyes' Everton never did much on domestic cup games, right?). Shift it to the 1st half of season (you can still host the final on last day), you will see most clubs taking it seriously.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Whoever support the idea of playing our first team players against Chelsea in FA cup should get their head checked. We could jeopardise the most critical stage of our season, by overplaying our already jaded players without giving them any proper rest.

We are facing West Ham 2 days later, an absolutely must win game this season, yet no one could get a proper rest, good luck.

Last edited:

passing-wind

Ole showed a clear lack of intelligence in the lineup. Too many tired first team players out and it was a stupid gamble considering we didn't win the game to merit potentially struggling against West Ham with fatigue. I believe in Ole to some extent but if we fail to get top 4 this season I'm certainly joining back in the camp for him to be sacked because I can't think of an easier time in the league's recent history for us to finish with UCL football.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Treated the semifinal like it wasn’t a priority and got what we deserved.

Completely handed all the initiative to Chelsea from the get go. Should have played our best team in the system that has been working for them. All that confidence and momentum basically thrown away. We’re not a good enough team to be picky when the opportunity to win a trophy arises.
Agree 100%.

Ralph1386

All those who wanted to rest players, feeling good about this performance are we?
You don’t have a point because 7 of our best 11 started the game, and the other 3/11 came on later. Nobody was rested and the game was a tactical clusterfeck to add insult to injury.

redshaw

Considering most of the first team played, got kicked and headbutted all game after only two days rest and I said we should play the second string before, I still stand by that.

Not sure what your point is, we could've lost without first team playing while our top players recover but we lost with most of them out there in a very combative game with no protection from the ref. I'd go with the second string losing every time considering the situation.

Romero should've 100% played as well in the cup.

Last edited:

Pav1878

You don’t have a point because 7 of our best 11 started the game, and the other 3/11 came on later. Nobody was rested and the game was a tactical clusterfeck to add insult to injury.
My point being those who wanted some sort of change from the winning team. I get that many wanted 11 changes, and that would have been even more disastrous against Chelsea in that form. There's not point changing a winning team when all you do is lose momentum and get knocked out of one of the fee cups left to win. Obviously the formation and tactics were all wrong too, but he did that because of the personnel he left out

Ralph1386

My point being those who wanted some sort of change from the winning team. I get that many wanted 11 changes, and that would have been even more disastrous against Chelsea in that form. There's not point changing a winning team when all you do is lose momentum and get knocked out of one of the fee cups left to win. Obviously the formation and tactics were all wrong too, but he did that because of the personnel he left out
No it wouldn’t because the main 11 players (most of which look knackered) would have understood that they were being rested for more important priorities than the FA cup.

RiqCantona

The point is Ole didn't play the full first XI neither did he rest the majority of the players. It was neither here nor there - a very half-hearted attempt. I don't know what the team was.

Web of Bissaka

Slight rotation against Chelsea is reasonable.

The problem lies with the selection of best 11 and which squad players to play.
^ Ole got it wrong with those.
  1. Didn't play McTominay (we never lost against the big teams + Wolves & Leicester when he play :eek: bizarre stats and record but it is what it is).
  2. Playing a fatigued playmaker in Bruno. Pogba in midfield of three should be enough or stick him at CAM.
Otherwise, the selections are generally consistent with the tactic we are setting-up.

We lost mostly because Ole is beaten tactically and didn't respond quickly to combat their worked tactics.
The tactic we used worked well in past games vs Lampard's Chelsea, but this time their tactic is different.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ole needs to trust his fringe players. Sir Alex was master in getting results from his fringe players. The way Ole set up his team was a clear indication that he doesn't trust his second team and he changed it instantly the moment things went wrong. If we are to win anything next season, we need to have a decent backup squad who are properly motivated. I think Ole got this one horribly wrong. He not only couldn't rest his first team players but also made it clear to the squad that he doesn't trust them to get the job done.

Eli Zee

Who woulda cared. Coulda rested the boys for Wednesday
In hindsight it's easy to say that, but if we lost 1-0 or something close and it was because 2nd squad didn't perform at all, lots would be saying we should have put some starters in.
Ole rested some and put others out which was a safe bet to do. It just didn't work out this time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Apart from our starting 11 getting injured, Sunday's game was literally the worst case scenario. We got kicked out of the tournament and all of them played some parts of the game.

Ole's half ass attempt to rest players and still get to the finals backfired on him just like it did in the previous tie, and it's this type of shit that's making the starting 11 limp to the finish line.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
hugely differing views on this one - suppose it all comes down to how much you value the FA Cup, personally Im not too bothered about it nowadays (never been the same since the year we didnt enter) and would have rested even more players than we did

TheRedHearted

In hindsight it's easy to say that, but if we lost 1-0 or something close and it was because 2nd squad didn't perform at all, lots would be saying we should have put some starters in.
Ole rested some and put others out which was a safe bet to do. It just didn't work out this time.
Yes people would’ve said that. they would still complain(like they are now in like they would’ve been even if we won one nil) but the fact of the matter is we still would’ve been rested for today.

Crustanoid

hugely differing views on this one - suppose it all comes down to how much you value the FA Cup, personally Im not too bothered about it nowadays (never been the same since the year we didnt enter) and would have rested even more players than we did
This is a common myth peddled by the ABU media and rival fans.

That was one issue and we didn't have a choice because politically, the FA and the government wanted us to go to the Club World Cup competition (which was bigger than the current version) to help their world cup bid and ABUs love to make out it was actually our doing.

The FA cup got devalued over time by, in no particular order:

The relative importance of the PL increasing and finishing in the top 4 rather than Euro qualification being distributed across three competitions and made up of title winners, FA cup winners and league runners up, 3rd place etc
The Champions League becoming more prestigious
The money involved in both PL and CL compared to the FA cup
The cup winners cup being abolished
The UEFA cup (now Europa league) being devalued in comparison the the CL
Some top teams (including us at times) playing second strings
Some non-top teams playing second strings
TV coverage changing

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This is a common myth peddled by the ABU media and rival fans.

That was one issue and we didn't have a choice because politically, the FA and the government wanted us to go to the Club World Cup competition (which was bigger than the current version) to help their world cup bid and ABUs love to make out it was actually our doing.

The FA cup got devalued over time by, in no particular order:

The relative importance of the PL increasing and finishing in the top 4 rather than Euro qualification being distributed across three competitions and made up of title winners, FA cup winners and league runners up, 3rd place etc
The Champions League becoming more prestigious
The money involved in both PL and CL compared to the FA cup
The cup winners cup being abolished
The UEFA cup (now Europa league) being devalued in comparison the the CL
Some top teams (including us at times) playing second strings
Some non-top teams playing second strings
TV coverage changing
well thats all true but whats the myth exactly?

we didnt enter in 2000 and Fergie never took the cup as seriously after that - we won 4 in the 90s but only 1 after that under Fergie as he mostly played weakened teams

Crustanoid

well thats all true but whats the myth exactly?

we didnt enter in 2000 and Fergie never took the cup as seriously after that - we won 4 in the 90s but only 1 after that under Fergie as he mostly played weakened teams
A lot of ABUs would have it known that it was our withdrawal, based on a decision made by our club to withdraw, which almost entirely caused the devaluation of the competition. In fact there were many factors at play and yes, we've not taken it as seriously perhaps after 2000

Dominos

We should have rested everyone against Chelsea.

Very very good chance we throw this away in the last game, the players are physically shot.