30 goals in all comps for Rashford - first player to do so since RvP 12/13

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Time to burst his bubble.

bringbackbebe

Let’s not gloss over the fact that we were in Europa and played all rounds of both cups at home. “First since RVP/Rooney” stuff is doing those players huge disservice. They scored mostly in the PL/CL. Against crap cup opposition they were either benched or not in the squad so didn’t have the opportunity to statpad.

17 league goals is all that matters. Good return but he has done it once before. Hopefully this time he can actually build on it and not proceed by stinking the place up for two years.
Quite harsh, since it's not the first time we've played in Europa over the last 10 years. Most of the posters here (90%?) wanted him sold at the start of the season, questioned his mentality and thought Saint-Maximin would have done better. Not only has he proved them wrong, but he's in contention for player of the season - which is a dedication to the hard work he's put in supported by the coaching staff.

While comparisons to RVP may be yet stretched, you cannot discount the tremendous season he's had this year.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To do it in a team that scores so few goals is amazing, he deserves lot of respect. Our only player who can consistenly score goals from different positions, even Bruno is unreliable from the penalty box and has missed few sitters this season.

norm87cro

Well he earned it after all the abuse he got from the caf. Im not saying he is Messi or something like that but he is a valuable part of our squad and one of our own

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Captain hindsight here coming in strong after 2 disastrous seasons.

Well done Rashford, hopefully to many more!
Well I always supported him and trusted him to get back to his best; never mind better.

Football isn’t an individuals game - it’s a team sport & a whole team can underperform through a shit manager.

It’s no surprise that Rashford’s improved under Ten Hag and arguably have players like Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Dalot etc.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Really glad for him, he has always been one of my favorite players. He got all the attributes to be among the greats, still has to work on his game and consistency though.

Alemar

Hopefully he gets several more goals till the end of the season…)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Let’s not gloss over the fact that we were in Europa and played all rounds of both cups at home. “First since RVP/Rooney” stuff is doing those players huge disservice. They scored mostly in the PL/CL. Against crap cup opposition they were either benched or not in the squad so didn’t have the opportunity to statpad.

17 league goals is all that matters. Good return but he has done it once before. Hopefully this time he can actually build on it and not proceed by stinking the place up for two years.
We have such a poor fan base.

He literally played with Weghorst all season, Antony & Sancho who don’t score goals, Martial was arguably injured all through it -

and you still can’t celebrate it because a winger didn’t score 20 goals in the PL.

And he never had 2 bad seasons - he only had one bad season in 21-22.

Glad that a guy that stank up the place is smelling good to you now.

SirScholes

We have such a poor fan base.

He literally played with Weghorst all season, Antony & Sancho who don’t score goals, Martial was arguably injured all through it -

and you still can’t celebrate it because a winger didn’t score 20 goals in the PL.

And he never had 2 bad seasons - he only had one bad season in 21-22.

Glad that a guy that stank up the place is smelling good to you now.
Agreed
Rvp had Rooney to play alongside, carrick scholes with Evra and Valencia as overlapping full backs

imagine rashford if he had scholes finding him from deep

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Never expected this. wish a few more had come in the PL but if we can find a proper no9 in the summer, he should benefit from the extra space

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

You can only score against what's in front of you. And to be fair to Rashy, it's not like this season is a one off. He's had ~20ish goal seasons before.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Anyway - the next milestone for Rashy (or any other United player) is to hit 20 league goals in one campaign.

Djemba-Djemba

This. Padding goal stats against League One fodder and teams in Kazakhstan is neat, but PL+CL is what truly measures quality.
You mean like goals against City, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Barcelona and Chelsea?

Yeah if only he'd managed that this season.

fecking hell, accusing Rashford of stat padding is insane, he's a brilliant big game player.

Siorac

And let's not forget that only one of those 30 goals was a penalty. That's seriously impressive.

cyberman

This. Padding goal stats against League One fodder and teams in Kazakhstan is neat, but PL+CL is what truly measures quality.
We constantly faced the best teams in Spain throughout the EL.
I’d argue our run was harder than Citys run to the final

cyberman

What crap opposition did we face in the EL? 2 of their top 4 and 3 of top 6 plus EL freaks in Sevilla.
I’m glad you thought only the league matters, I’m sure that’s reflected in your posts at the time

Marcus

Kudos to my namesake for transforming from a shrinking violet to a mentality monster. I was one of those who voted to sell him and I take it back.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You mean like goals against City, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Barcelona and Chelsea?

Yeah if only he'd managed that this season.

fecking hell, accusing Rashford of stat padding is insane, he's a brilliant big game player.
It's a ridiculous claim, he's a top big game player indeed

Oranges038

He's a great player, seems to be a decent and intelligent guy especially with his desire to help out struggling kids and families. I'm an old fart though so I was worried that him hitting the clubs with Lingard with those shit outfits had ruined him but fair fecks to the guy, he's shown that he is the real deal.

I know the standard thing to say is "hopefully he improves on this next season" but frankly I just want him to maintain it. He's been a bit selfish this season but I don't blame him because he hasn't had much quality around him. We shouldn't have to rely on him so much. Either make him the tip of the spear next season and bring in another LW or give him a target man up front to work with.

In short; he's brilliant. Our local version of Rooney except not fat.
Yeah, but how does deal with Grannies?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

It’s a fact that he is the first player since RvP to do it. It’s also not the first time we have played in Europa. So a lot of other players have had the opportunity as well both this season and in the last 10 seasons to “stat pad” but they didn’t do it.
Also as great as RvP was he had it much easier. He came into a flawed but well drilled team which had already scored 89 league goals the previous season without him.

crossy1686

career ending
Captain hindsight here coming in strong after 2 disastrous seasons.

Well done Rashford, hopefully to many more!
Some people are on their 3rd, 4th and 5th disastrous season, without having a broken back and a bad ankle, but of course, Rashford was the one that needed to be sold.

ifightdragons

I think it's about time we revisit whether or not allowing newbies to post in these threads has really worked.
Yes. We should ban differing and unpopular opinions.

I think Rashford has had a very prolific season in terms of goals. There's no denying that, he has absolutely improved his runs and finishing.

I still am of the opinion that he doesn't score enough goals in the Premier League. And that his form is way too inconsistent, as it has been for every season since his debut. He goes through long dry spells every season.

And I think he is a possession waster, and lazy when having to defend or track back.

He is not my type of player, and I think he suits a counter attacking side a lot more than the possession based style that Ten Hag is known for at Ajax and FC Utrecht, but is yet to implement at United. I think he gives the ball away far too much, and has poor decision making.

Ironically, he was actually very good yesterday against Chelsea. He made the right choices, passed well, and kept the ball in the team. He rarely plays that well, even when he scores.
He was still lazy when defending though, but no one is perfect.

Rashford is also incredibly valuable in the market, and our most sellable asset, so I would sell him. He is easily worth 100 mill. I would be very happy to see him go, especially since his wages are way too high, which sets an unecessarily high ceiling in our wage structure, wherein more players will demand similar wages.

But, of course he will stay. Everyone loves him. I can understand and appreciate why, I just don't agree. At least I can agree that he is a very useful impact player, as he can beat defenders who are tired.

Poor you, for having to read a differing opinion to yours. If you disagree, feel free to actually argue and elaborate why. Or don't. No one cares what you, me or anyone thinks.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I still am of the opinion that he doesn't score enough goals in the Premier League.
He scored 17 league goals from open play this season, only Kane (23) and Haaland (29) scored more but yeah he didn't score enough goals.

As usual some dumb takes in this thread, not at all surprising.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Alittle unfortunate last night too. Garnacho was alittle guilty in not cutting the ball back last night for a Rash tap-in.

roonster09

Scout
And let's not forget that only one of those 30 goals was a penalty. That's seriously impressive.
Also apart from his 17 league goals, most of his goals were against good-decent/PL quality teams.

1 Goal + 1 assist vs Barca
2 goals vs Betis
1 goal + 2 assists vs Everton in FA cup
1 goal vs Villa
1 goal vs Forest + 2 assists vs Forest
1 goal vs Newcastle.

Out of 30 goals + 11 assists, 24 goals + 10 assists were against PL and PL level teams.

So much for "stat pads vs some Kazakhstan teams".

It's like people don't watch football at all, just follows some meme accounts and posts based on that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still a bit disappointed that he can't be our first playing hitting 20 league goals a season since RVP. Thought he could surely do it after his red hot form after the World Cup..
Yeah, that's the next big real step for the club. A player who actually hits these figures solely in the PL.

This Rashford figure is fantastic - but we need someone to start doing it in the league only.

ifightdragons

He scored 17 league goals from open play this season, only Kane (23) and Haaland (29) scored more but yeah he didn't score enough goals.

As usual some dumb takes in this thread, not at all surprising.
You obviously didn't read my post, but cherry-picked a single point to make a point that I didn't make. If anything, that is what's dumb here.

Maybe you have trouble reading, so I'll recap:

1. His goalscoring record this season is good.

2. I don't think he has scored enough goals in the league in his career. His record and form has always been very on/off. I wouldn't be at all surprised the next time he falls of a cliff, and can only manage around 12 goals in the league again.

3. I don't judge a player mainly on their goals.
How he plays and keeps hold of possession and passes is more important to me, because that ultimately facilitates goal scoring opportunities for the entire team, regardless who ends up scoring.

Those opinions are not mutually exclusive, nor are they diametrically opposed.

ifightdragons

Also apart from his 17 league goals, most of his goals were against good-decent/PL quality teams.

1 Goal + 1 assist vs Barca
2 goals vs Betis
1 goal + 2 assists vs Everton in FA cup
1 goal vs Villa
1 goal vs Forest + 2 assists vs Forest
1 goal vs Newcastle.

Out of 30 goals + 11 assists, 24 goals + 10 assists were against PL and PL level teams.

So much for "stat pads vs some Kazakhstan teams".

It's like people don't watch football at all, just follows some meme accounts and posts based on that.
The Kazakh line was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and a reference to the three previous seasons.

You know exactly what I meant, and you understood it perfectly. If you want to tell anyone that Rashford has been anywhere near good enough the last three years, you must have suffered a deep brain trombosis. We can both agree that this season is infinitely better than the previous two, and several of his seasons prior to those. Or you can just pretend to disagree.

If you actually were able to read entire posts instead of straw-manning and cherry-picking, you'd see I've been very clear that his goalscoring record this season is undeniably good.

I've outlined and argued in a detailed manner why I don't think Rashford is a good fit for our team. You can either counter that, or just keep on posting goal tallies from one single season out of his 7 seasons or so.

If anything, you seem to be the type of fan who only care about goals and assists, and can't be bothered to analyze beyond the most elementary statistics.

Your insults are just lame and don't ring true.
I watch every United game. The following day, I will watch most games back if time allows. No MOTD or Twitter highlights... I want to see the plays, not just the goals.

You seem very elitist, putting down people for not being the right kind of fan. Top reds, that's what you lot are called? Such a tragic thing to have to police other fans. Must be tiring.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
You obviously didn't read my post, but cherry-picked a single point to make a point that I didn't make. If anything, that is what's dumb here.

Maybe you have trouble reading, so I'll recap:

1. His goalscoring record this season is good.

2. I don't think he has scored enough goals in the league in his career. His record and form has always been very on/off. I wouldn't be at all surprised the next time he falls of a cliff, and can only manage around 12 goals in the league again.

3. I don't judge a player mainly on their goals.
How he plays and keeps hold of possession and passes is more important to me, because that ultimately facilitates goal scoring opportunities for the entire team, regardless who ends up scoring.

Those opinions are not mutually exclusive, nor are they diametrically opposed.
Started with " This. Padding goal stats against League One fodder and teams in Kazakhstan is neat, but PL+CL is what truly measures quality. " which is nonsense and then moans about his PL goal scoring record when it's decent considering the level of managers he had and his playing time. He averages around 220 mins per goal, he is yet to enter his peak and played under some most boring defensive managers where we struggled to score goals, and also averages 135 mins per Goal + assist in PL, which is very good record.

He has scored around 30% of our league goals this season, as a team we are lacking in the attack and it's Rashford who is the consistent goal threat.

ifightdragons

He averages around 220 mins per goal, he is yet to enter his peak and played under some most boring defensive managers where we struggled to score goals, and also averages 135 mins per Goal + assist in PL, which is very good record.

He has scored around 30% of our league goals this season, as a team we are lacking in the attack and it's Rashford who is the consistent goal threat.
Those are very valid points, and we agree on that.

Just tallying goals only gets us so far, still.
Analyzing his entire game is more interesting to me. Not to say goals aren't important, they obviously are.

I can appreciate that you are a Rashford fan, maybe even more than a United fan? No problem with that. Genuinely.

roonster09

Scout
The Kazakh line was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and a reference to the three previous seasons.

You know exactly what I meant, and you understood it perfectly. If you want to tell anyone that Rashford has been anywhere near good enough the last three years, you must have suffered a deep brain trombosis. We can both agree that this season is infinitely better than the previous two, and several of his seasons prior to those. Or you can just pretend to disagree.

If you actually were able to read entire posts instead of straw-manning and cherry-picking, you'd see I've been very clear that his goalscoring record this season is undeniably good.

I've outlined and argued in a detailed manner why I don't think Rashford is a good fit for our team. You can either counter that, or just keep on posting goal tallies from one single season out of his 7 seasons or so.

If anything, you seem to be the type of fan who only care about goals and assists, and can't be bothered to analyze beyond the most elementary statistics.

I watch every United game. The following day, I will watch most games back if time allows. No MOTD or Twitter highlights... I want to see the plays, not just the goals.

Last season was his shit season.
Before that, out of 21 goals he scored 17 of them in PL + CL, 2 goals in Europa vs Real Sociedad, Granada and cup goal vs Liverpool.
His 15 assists, 11 was in PL, 1 vs Real Sociedad, 1 vs Liverpool, Everton and West ham in cups.

In 2019-20, out of his 22 goals + 12 assists ,only 2-3 goals + assists were against lower league club.

So much for "The Kazakh line was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and a reference to the three previous seasons.".

Anyone with braincell knows Rashford thrives in big games rather than shit ones.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Those are very valid points, and we agree on that.

But just tallying goals only gets us so far.
Analyzing his entire game is more interesting to me.

I can appreciate that you are a Rashford fan, maybe even more than a United fan? No problem with that. Genuinely.
Maybe you are Rashford hater, more than you love ManUtd, who knows. Or maybe one of those rival troll pretending as ManUtd fan. Genuinely.

baskinginthesun

You seem very elitist, putting down people for not being the right kind of fan. Top reds, that's what you lot are called? Such a tragic thing to have to police other fans. Must be tiring.
To be fair, goals and assists are generally what win football matches. It's also why these 2 stats are considered the highest metric of a forward player. So in that sense Rashford has been the most important to United this season.

You can still be possession based and have an out and out goalscorer. Rashford has been that this season. I don't understand why you would want to sell, arguably, our most important player. Even the previous seasons (when his stats and the rest of the teams stats were lower) Rashford has been important to the team. This season is a good metric of what he truly provides and losing that would be terrible for the team.

Secondly, this was a thread created to outline his success THIS SEASON. There are plenty of other threads to criticize and offer different opinions of his previous contributions to the team from seasons past.

Djemba-Djemba

Definitely a good use of time to waste your 5 posts of the day on trying to downplay what Rashford has done this season and criticise him.

What is going on with the caf recently?

December_16

Neither here nor there, but he got two legitimate league goals chalked off due to the ridiculous handball rule (vs Everton and Wolves), plus an absolute sitter he missed in the dying minutes vs Newcastle at home. There, you have it, his 20 league goals.

NZT-One

Well done Rashford for achieving this. Goal scoring wise he was very good. I think, in terms of overall development I think he is plateauing more than I hoped. His decision making isn't good, he is still attempting ludicrous dribbles or shots too often for my liking. Really hope that bringing in another striker will lead to him developing his "creator" trait more. He has it in him, we've seen it in Oles 1st season, thats where I liked him the most.