5th Test Showdown

Yianni

RedorDead6899 said:
Not really, generally we get wound up when we're losing

Unlike now.
Ask yourself why nealn would think of me now, when i havent posted in one of these threads in so long (only posted due to Slabber's comical reaction to England finally winning). I obviously got to him. ;)

RedorDead6899

Acid tongued, and often called evil, but kind to s
YianniArvani said:
Ask yourself why nealn would think of me now, when i havent posted in one of these threads in so long (only posted due to Slabber's comical reaction to England finally winning). I obviously got to him. ;)

Probably because you sound like an idiot, and are Greek.

And hairy

nealn

YianniArvani said:
Because you're the only one who comes on here to celebrate when you're winning but not when you're losing.

At least the likes of Papa Smurf will come on here win or lose. You're like the Arsenal fans who come on here when they're winning but aren't anywhere to be seen when they lose.

Doesn't mean you've got to me, just means I remember the "only sing when we're wining types". And that's the reason you haven't been here for "so long".

sidsutton

Great summer of cricket, right from the 20/20, one day series and now the Ashes. Great cricket, great spirit, great outcome. :D

I'll even admit I found it a bit sad when Warney was waving goodbye. Can't speak highly enough of how he has single handidly kept them in with a shout of this series. Best bowler ever IMO.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
nealn said:
Cheers! I'm looking forward to a new, competitive era where a few teams like England, India, Australia etc battle it out at the top of the world game!
Yeah, I am pretty interested to see how this English team performs away from home.
Australia will be always up there, while teams like India and pakistan will be world beaters one year and shite next.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's become a cliche to say it, but what a great great series. I was almost hoping the Aussies would get us out in time to have a crack at it, as it would have been a fitting ending...as it was it was a shambles.

Perfectly matched sides...you have to say if they'd had the tosses, the home support and McGrath, they would probably have won it.

But, a fantastic achievement, and we should go on from here to dominate test cricket.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Hardly seems pertinent, but that was the worst fecking presentation I have ever seen. My God it was bloody terrible.

Its only saving grace was the bit when Nicholas was interviewing Fletcher and he said 'give us a smile for the camera' which was met with Fletcher scowling like the Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket.

He must be a hoot at dinner parties.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah presentation was really streched out and why were there 3 trophies?
Ok, one was the original ashes one, another one for this series. 3rd one?

nealn

crappycraperson said:
Yeah presentation was really streched out and why were there 3 trophies?
Ok, one was the original ashes one, another one for this series. 3rd one?
The Urn is obviously the Urn. The metal one is the one that NPower (sponsors)supply. The crystal one is there I think because the Aussies aren't allowed to take the actaul Ashes with them so they get a huge crystal one instead, I think.

nealn

crappycraperson said:
Yeah, I am pretty interested to see how this English team performs away from home.
I think well do well away from home in places like SA, WI (which we have done over the last two years) and Australia but I think we'll always struggle in the Sub-Continent because our players struggle with turn.

crappycraperson

Scout
nealn said:
I think well do well away from home in places like SA, WI (which we have done over the last two years) and Australia but I think we'll always struggle in the Sub-Continent because our players struggle with turn.
There is a series coming up between India and England , right?
Should be a good one

sidsutton

Anyone see McGrath give a pretty ungracious interview on Sky Sports News?? Grudgingly gave England praise saying they played "pretty good cricket".

I'm sure you will all join me in waving goodbye to Glenda the bank robber

sidsutton

Ok lads, your "Moment of the series" please

for me it was when Harmison bowled the slower ball to bowl Clarke in the last over of the day at Edgebaston.

nealn

crappycraperson said:
There is a series coming up between India and England , right?
Should be a good one
Yeah, next March I think. Three tests probabaly. I predict 2-0 to India although if we perform well in Pakistan pre-Christmas I might feel more confident. Just don't fancy our chances against teams containing 2 or more top class spinners on the Sub-Continant.

Who do you reckon your other spinner apart from Harbhajan would be? Kumble, Kartik, someone else?

nealn

sidsutton said:
Ok lads, your "Moment of the series" please

for me it was when Harmison bowled the slower ball to bowl Clarke in the last over of the day at Edgebaston.
Earlier on that day when Freddie came on and bowled an amazing over first up and got out Langer and Ponting.

crappycraperson

Scout
nealn said:
Yeah, next March I think. Three tests probabaly. I predict 2-0 to India although if we perform well in Pakistan pre-Christmas I might feel more confident. Just don't fancy our chances against teams containing 2 or more top class spinners on the Sub-Continant.

Who do you reckon your other spinner apart from Harbhajan would be? Kumble, Kartik, someone else?
Kumble will be there surely, he is not going to retire any soon.
Who knows we many play 3 spinners against the english, Kartik would play then.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
nealn said:

Im pretty confident wel sort ourselves out by then..(cant possibly get worse) Has all the makings of a great series, of which cricket needs more, its strange how this Ashes series has stood out, although its been an amazing contest on its own, it also shows how poor cricket has become of late.

Wel basically have Kumble and Harbhajan, kartik wont get a game.. hope sachin is fit, really would be sad if he missed it. Although our groundsmen might just lose their minds and prepare wickets for England.. dont know what the feck got into them when the Aussies came, even Gilchrist was shocked, he couldnt believe we prepared them an ideal Australian track in India.

Dubai_Devil

Dubai_Devil said:
England will be all out for 170 max.
I was about right, the English were all out for 170, it was the South African who made the total a bit higher ;)

Congratualtions to England for a brilliant ashes victory, thoroughly deserved it and proved to everyone that they were the better team over the series. This was the best test match series I have ever seen. Fair dues to the Aussies, they played their part, never gave up and if things went more their way could have retained the Ashes.

nealn

amolbhatia100 said:
Wel basically have Kumble and Harbhajan, kartik wont get a game..
So there's no chance you'll play three spinners like you once did the last time England toured (Harbhajan Singh, Kumble, Sarendeep Singh)? Or is it that if you play three Kartik wouldn't be the third?

RvN#10

Well done England, you outplayed us in the last four Test matches and thoroughly deserve to regain the Ashes.

Absolutely amazing series, 5 memorable Test matches and surely it will go down in history as the best Test series ever.

Also Super Freddie, what an incredible player.

Yianni

nealn said:
Because you're the only one who comes on here to celebrate when you're winning but not when you're losing.

At least the likes of Papa Smurf will come on here win or lose. You're like the Arsenal fans who come on here when they're winning but aren't anywhere to be seen when they lose.

Doesn't mean you've got to me, just means I remember the "only sing when we're wining types". And that's the reason you haven't been here for "so long".
hehe you obviouslt didnt read this part "(only posted due to Slabber's comical reaction to England finally winning)" ;)

revered7

Plechazunga said:
It's become a cliche to say it, but what a great great series. I was almost hoping the Aussies would get us out in time to have a crack at it, as it would have been a fitting ending...as it was it was a shambles.

Perfectly matched sides...you have to say if they'd had the tosses, the home support and McGrath, they would probably have won it.

But, a fantastic achievement, and we should go on from here to dominate test cricket.
you blokes shouldve declared at around 250 with 35 or so overs left and made a real match out of it.

Poor sportsmanship from you boring, boring poms.

Seriously though, despite all the dodgy decisions, and the tosses, and the weather england were better overall by a fair distance, and we never had the right attitude. Good luck when you tour the sub continent though.

ellie brown

the east is red
congrats to the POMS great to see them finally get it back, ashes was excellent all round... :cool:

Papa Smurf

Im blue da da da da da de da
Well done England. You guys seriously did deserve and it would have been criminal had australia somehow won that 5th test. Must say the bloody weather helped you a lot but thats just the way it is.

Im not unhappy with australia though. Only real dissapoinment throughout the series was our batsmen not being able to make big scores. Just kept falling around 20 - 40 runs. Bowling was good though. I wont say anything about the bloody fielding.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Can we just get some perspective here lads. Can we stop calling them Englishmen, cause they aint', they are cricketers playing for the English team ffs. :mad:

England football team should convince/pay a few outcast Brazilians to play for England like the cricket boys are doing.

Looking Busy

Papa Smurf said:
Well done England. You guys seriously did deserve and it would have been criminal had australia somehow won that 5th test. Must say the bloody weather helped you a lot but thats just the way it is.

Im not unhappy with australia though. Only real dissapoinment throughout the series was our batsmen not being able to make big scores. Just kept falling around 20 - 40 runs. Bowling was good though. I wont say anything about the bloody fielding.
The series swung on a couple of things.
1: Undobutedly was Ponting very strange decision to field after winning the toss at Edgbasten
2: Our fast bowling attack was far superior to yours. Gillespie never turned up, McGrath got injured and Kasprowich (sp) was also poor

The batting I think was very similar in terms of standard, England slightly ahead, it was just your inability to play the swinging ball that stopped anyone getting higher scores. If your guys could get the ball to move around you would have been able to restrict us a lot more

Looking Busy

Bloxy said:
Can we just get some perspective here lads. Can we stop calling them Englishmen, cause they aint', they are cricketers playing for the English team ffs. :mad:

England football team should convince/pay a few outcast Brazilians to play for England like the cricket boys are doing.
Don't be an idiot. Why is there always some miserable bastard who throws something like that in

crappycraperson

Scout
Bloxy said:

:lol:
I suppose this all over Pietersien chap, or are there any others?

nealn

YianniArvani said:
hehe you obviouslt didnt read this part "(only posted due to Slabber's comical reaction to England finally winning)" ;)
Actually I read it. But considering you posted before that in the Lords test I ignored that as the BS that it was...

Considering you never won after we'd won our first match of the series and considering you like to post when you're winning how can you "only have posted due to Slabber's comical reaction to England finally winning"?