63% of Liverpool squad "asthmatic" - any substance to this article?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It's also a question of personal opinion too and we must respect each others opinions.

Before this story emerged I had already thought that the look on many of the Liverpool players faces was quite abnormal in my opinion.

The glaring/glassy eyes of many of the players was food for thought for me.
This is a joke right? Otherwise this is alarming to say the least. It reeks of paranoia and really is suprising if you are looking that close for a conspiracy. Obviously if you are looking this closely at some thing this obscure then there must be other things also being looked into which is kind of weird. The problem is you can scour the internet for hours and find anything to help a conspiricay theory look real. It’s what happened in the states these last few years and turned normal people with common sense into absolute nutjobs. To them their not nutjobs though right? Just investigating leads.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Can you link to a study that shows this? From what I read on the websites of anti doping Norway, it has not been shown that approved dosages of Salbutamol improves performance. Only dosages above the approved amount has been shown to do so according to them.
Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I don't have any studies that I can reference. My experience with salbutamol is personal/anecdotal.

But, that's how the drug works. Its purpose is to immediately open the airway during an acute asthma attack. If you're an asthmatic, then it's going to take you to a state where you can get air into your lungs and keep you from dying. If you're not an asthmatic or not having an asthma attack, it's reasonable to infer that your airways will open more than normal allowing for improved breathing.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I think their asthma levels are linked to their players seeing that dentist who attaches zebra teeth to their gums. Their mouth is essentially a vacuum with the ridiculous things not letting air into their lungs.

F-Red

Just like Liverpool won't be banned too.

And you think that Wiggins and the Sky team and many other cycling teams never touched peds?
Bodybuilders were banned and others died because of the drugs taken.
Cyclists were banned and others died too.

But everyone is free to believe what they want.
As i work in the cycling industry and with guys who have worked and ridden with Wiggins, it’s quite clear you have no clue what you’re talking about. Trying to compare the two is at best clutching straws. You do you, however.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Just like Liverpool won't be banned too.
Because there’s no evidence of drug abuse or cheating, there’s no evidence of the 63%, it’s a fake story based on a blog that offers zero source material.

The incredible thing is that folk are going knee deep into a conspiracy theory just to excuse a rival team doing well.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Because there’s no evidence of drug abuse or cheating, there’s no evidence of the 63%, it’s a fake story based on a blog that offers zero source material.

The incredible thing is that folk are going knee deep into a conspiracy theory just to excuse a rival team doing well.
Tbf it’s mainly just one poster that genuinely believes it. The rest are mainly joking or being sarcastic.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Posters looking for looking for truth to fake conspiracy theories are worse than rival posters talking up their own teams. More bad feelings come out of threads that go on for ages over stupid accusations than the actual result of a match like the CL final. ie: This thread will still be running long after we beat Real

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

Go for a swim in De-nial lad. PEDs are rife in sports, PED users get by them by having a medical use exemption, so that's why 63% of your players are legally doping. Liverpool are one of the best pressing teams in the world that requires elite fitness, which in turn requires PEDs. Germany won the world cup in 1954 not because they were the best team but because of amphetamines. Klopp is a product of this football drug culture

But to be fair if you aren't cheating you aren't trying and all of that

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Very much some napkin analysis here, just looking at https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/mins_played

Liverpool have 10 players who have played at least 2000 minutes in the PL this season. Comparatively;
United have 6
Chelsea have 5
City have 6
Arsenal have 6

After those top 10 for Liverpool, the "minutes played" drops right down to 1470 with Thiago.

Conversely, when you look at how many players have played at least 1000 minutes;
Liverpool - 12
United - 18
Chelsea - 18
City - 15
Arsenal - 16

The above is looking purely at the PL - I couldnt find stats for all comps (admittedly I didnt look that hard), but the main takeaway is that it does seem that Liverpool rotate markedly less than the other CL clubs (plus the Arse, for good measure). Some of the non CL clubs (West Ham and Spurs) have more similar stats to Liverpool, but they have played fewer matches (outside of the PL), so it seems a bit more reasonable.
When you consider the high intensity that Liverpool are known for playing, plus the simple amount of games they have had to play this season, it is quite astonishing and impressive how they have had so few injuries, and how their fitness levels seem to be so much higher than everyone else's.

Edit: According to transfermarkt, Salah, Mane and Diaz are all in the top 6 of total 'minutes played' in all competitions globally (obviously a lot of Diaz's minutes are split across 2 clubs)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have said it many times. For me it's, not about how hard the play. It's that they have very few injuries.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The physician-diagnosed asthma percentile is significantly higher in performance/endurance athletes than the average population. A elite athlete is also intimately more familiar with his own respiratory system than your average dude who might actually have it and its just never diagnosed as its not severe enough for a medical visit.

A quick google search will give you numerous studies to that effect, to everything from swimmers, footballers, skiiers and every sport under the sun that requires a lot of breathing and a lot of heartrate for a sustained amount of time.

Also: "They found that 27 had exercise-induced asthma. Of these, 10 had no idea they had the condition, while the other 17 were aware they did but were not necessarily using inhalers."

So the sample size in the PL that were tested, 40% didnt even know they had it, and the rest can get along just fine.

But Liverpool are all using systematic doping as some of you absolute bellends are suggesting?

Im all for shitting on the scosers, but please let this embarrassing conspiracy drivel not fester in these forums as well.

Edit: Ok so I read this article: http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

A few things that stand out:

"It’s impossible to do three seasons in a row without players collapsing from cardiovascular issues or physical or mental collapse. So now is a good time to back them not winning the Premier League this season." - This type of argument would require you to have some type of medical qualification to even quantify what you are saying, but instead he adds: Everything. Cardiovascular AND Physical AND mental collapse? Are they start going to get brittle bone disease with heartattacks and full blown PTSD from caffine intake?

"In concluding the academic article, I pointed out that no Liverpool players have failed tests. I am not alleging any wrongdoing on their part. Nor am I intimating that they’re all on the juice. I’ve simply studied the support systems, those involved and what’s needed to achieve what they have achieved." - This is pure fanfiction. What support systems? The staff? The lunch? Does he have access to the clubs medical records?

"According to a source close to the club, of 35 players 22 are asthmatic – 63% of the squad, over five times higher than the 12% UK average. With so many sickly players and COVID-19 threatening these at risk players, it’s already dangerous. To keep the players at the max for an entire season, on numerous fronts, substances to enhance and support performance are needed." - I am absolutely certain that someone at Liverpool FC, with access to sensitive medical records, not just one record but all of them saw it fit to inform Alan Moore, "Russian based sports journalist and consultant, working with major clubs including Hajduk Split, Eintracht Frankfurt, Lokomotiv and Spartak Moscow. Current host of Capital Sports FM in Moscow, former international boxer and semi-professional footballer and commentated at the FIFA World Cup 2018." (With no credentials whatsoever to evaluate riskfactors for anything), and risk not only their job, but their medical license.

There are so many inaccuracies, make-believe understanding of physiology, pretend intimate knowledge of the clubs inner workings and supplement intake and lack of any type of credentials and qualifications to even make an assessment of what he is claiming that we are all dumber for having been subjected to this waste of 0s and 1s displayed on my screen.

Please stop with this nonsense.

Last edited:

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Horrible conspiracy bs thread this, and that video has been posted and debunked also. Average astchmatic rate overall is arund 10%, but for athletes it is the 20s. This is due to them using their lungs at full capacity a lot and by that they spot more astchmatic instances. If the whole world did the same the average rage would be in the 20s as well.
Also Liverpool is not top of the distance covered in the league, and that 63% claim as mentioned many times before is coming from a dumb irish blog site.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Horrible conspiracy bs thread this And that video has been posted and debunked also. Average astchmatic rate overall is arund 10%, but for athletes it is the 20s. This is due to them using their lungs at full capacity a lot and by that they spot more astchmatic instances. If the whole world did the same the average rage would be in the 20s as well.
Also Liverpool is not top of the distance covered in the league, and that 63% claim as mentioned many times before is coming from a dumb irish blog site.
So what is the % then?

Oh, and “dumb Irish”?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
While it's possible there some memory bias (and I'm sure a LFC-supporter on here will explain why I'm wrong) but it really does seem that Liverpool are able to both press more than almost anyone else - particularly in the last 20 minutes, and simultaneously have fewer players out with niggly injuries than anyone else.

As a United fan, I've made my peace with being 1st or 2nd in the injuries table every year for decades, but it is kind of remarkable.

To me there are 3 possiblities:
1. Liverpool have smart scouts that consider durability as a key trait in recruitment
2. Liverpool have some kind of legal or not legal physio programme that is just better than everyone else
3. Luck

We all saw what happened when a key injury hit them last season - nowhere near the title. The fact that VVD/Fabinho/Salah/Mane are basically able to have played every premier league minute is staggering. I don't think at our pomp we ever had a season where Rooney/Ferdinand/whoever was in midfield because we didn't buy one missed a good quarter of the season.

To be honest, I'd say it's a combo of 1 and 3.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fabinho, keita, Matip, Gomez, Henderson, Thiago, Jota have all been injured loads with us.

Jones, Origi and elliot too.

There's a reason why we had to buy Konate and Jota and why everyone worried about losing Wijnaldum, as he was the only midfielder we had who wasn't injury prone.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I think their asthma levels are linked to their players seeing that dentist who attaches zebra teeth to their gums. Their mouth is essentially a vacuum with the ridiculous things not letting air into their lungs.
Shiny teeth to distract from those flaming red eyes. Couldn't fool me though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In late April, we were squarely mid table in the injuries department

Not far from Manchester United who are nowhere near the top.

Funny how cognitive bias plays out in football huh.

sugar_kane

Fair play to these lads they can laugh about it, and even tolerate the idea that Liverpool might not be unimpeachable saints. They remind me of most of the Liverpool fans I know in real life who you can have a normal conversation and a joke with, unlike the maniacs online.

I take it the 63% figure is complete nonsense then? What's the actual source, beyond the blog referenced above?

Hammondo

While it's possible there some memory bias (and I'm sure a LFC-supporter on here will explain why I'm wrong) but it really does seem that Liverpool are able to both press more than almost anyone else - particularly in the last 20 minutes, and simultaneously have fewer players out with niggly injuries than anyone else.

As a United fan, I've made my peace with being 1st or 2nd in the injuries table every year for decades, but it is kind of remarkable.

To me there are 3 possiblities:
1. Liverpool have smart scouts that consider durability as a key trait in recruitment
2. Liverpool have some kind of legal or not legal physio programme that is just better than everyone else
3. Luck

We all saw what happened when a key injury hit them last season - nowhere near the title. The fact that VVD/Fabinho/Salah/Mane are basically able to have played every premier league minute is staggering. I don't think at our pomp we ever had a season where Rooney/Ferdinand/whoever was in midfield because we didn't buy one missed a good quarter of the season.

To be honest, I'd say it's a combo of 1 and 3.
In terms of distance travelled Liverpool are nowhere near the top.

Giggsyking

In late April, we were squarely mid table in the injuries department

Not far from Manchester United who are nowhere near the top.

Funny how cognitive bias plays out in football huh.
Your key players never gets injured. Who cares if Origi gets injured ?

crossy1686

career ending
Horrible conspiracy bs thread this, and that video has been posted and debunked also. Average astchmatic rate overall is arund 10%, but for athletes it is the 20s. This is due to them using their lungs at full capacity a lot and by that they spot more astchmatic instances. If the whole world did the same the average rage would be in the 20s as well.
Are you Liverpool’s doctor?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Its just funny to me now that this conspiracy theory is in the ether. If nothing else, I can annoy my Liverpool supporting pals.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone know of any "technically legal" substances that can help with hamstring strains? Fabinho has one and we need some voodoo juice to get him ready for Paris.

MattyLT

There's this one former footballer (goalkeeper), and he's adamant they're all lizard people. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Anyone know of any "technically legal" substances that can help with hamstring strains? Fabinho has one and we need some voodoo juice to get him ready for Paris.
Maybe the magic man has already been round.

eamosri

I hear the Mexican supplements are meant to be good

reddyornot

From coverage of the FA cup final.
What we do know, though, is that Liverpool possess remarkable powers of resilience and recovery as they continue their march on history.
Yes quite remarkable!.

grafi

Supports
Werder Bremen
Yes remarkable, on xG for against, relative even match in full time.
If Pulisic or maybe Lukaku could put the ball in the net.
In the League Cup final Lukaku's goal should have stood.

sangria

Yes remarkable, on xG for against, relative even match in full time.
If Pulisic or maybe Lukaku could put the ball in the net.
In the League Cup final Lukaku's goal should have stood.
Doesn't scan or rhyme.