75pts: Around about the maximum points haul you’d expect from this squad?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We can speak about ups and downs within a season and the mishaps along the way, but if someone had offered you 75pts from this squad at the start of the season, would you have believed it feasible?

Objectively speaking, knowing this squad as we do, how much more could have been gotten out of this collective?

It really doesn’t look bad at all in the final table, does it?

We need c. 12-20 pts more to challenge for the title in any given season (of late); in terms of raw numbers, that’s a few more wins and draws. You’d like to think the staff are more optimistic than we as fans are for the upcoming season.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
We can speak about ups and downs within a season and the mishaps along the way, but if someone had offered you 75pts from this squad at the start of the season, would you have believed it feasible?

Objectively speaking, knowing this squad as we do, how much more could have been gotten out of this collective?

It really doesn’t look bad at all in the final table, does it?

We need c. 12-20 pts more to challenge for the title in any given season (of late); in terms of raw numbers, that’s a few more wins and draws. You’d like to think the staff are more optimistic than we as fans are for the upcoming season.
75 points from 36 games, no less.

Considering where we were 12 months ago, this is a really positive season.

el3mel

Very good tally coming from our abysmal record of last season. Need 10 more points next season in order to challenge for the league.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
There were some frustrating dropped points, I think the very limit of this side is probably around 80-81.

Casemiro being gone for 7 games wasn't helpful in that, I think had he played all year we would have been in a much better place.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
75 points from 36 games, no less.

Considering where we were 12 months ago, this is a really positive season.
This, Brighton and Brentford are good clubs though so I think 77 points would be fairer if United had turned up. Dropping points to West Ham was also quite bad.

SinNombre

75 from 36 is not bad.

We need to aim for 90 from 38 next season which is still a long way to go.

el3mel

There were some frustrating dropped points, I think the very limit of this side is probably around 80-81.

Casemiro being gone for 7 games wasn't helpful in that, I think had he played all year we would have been in a much better place.
Dealing with suspensions and injured players is part of the season, ultimately. You can't expect your top players to be available for the full 38 games.

It's a very good tally for a manager's first season and honestly what I would expect from a team finishing 3rd nowadays.

Irwin99

It's hard to see how you can squeeze anymore out of a team that doesn't really have a consistent striker, has had a lot of inconsistency with the wide forwards (Rashford the obvious exception) and occasionally a midfield where the balance hasn't looked right. For any bit of luck we've had we've also had some poor luck to balance it out; we absolutely dominated Chelsea in that 1-1 draw and should have beaten Palace for instance.

After the first two games i would have said 64 points would probably be the total that this team could achieve.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep pretty much. Any more and you're expecting at least an attempt for the title. Hopefully the players in the summer will help us do just that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With our CF situation it's a very good achievement. I didn't think we would get these many points, especially after first 2 games.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Most points managed since Fergie retired other than 81 points in 17-18, and I'd argue that it's more impressive than that because the whole league outside the top 6 was an absolute joke that year:

Skills

Snitch
Constant negativity
Another way to look at it is - is this squad only 4 points better than Newcastle United?

If so, why? Considering the amount of money we spent last summer and the relative starting points of the two clubs.

Siorac

Yes, that would have been about the limit of my ambition, and that only after signing Casemiro and Antony at the end of the summer. Before that, I would have been a lot more pessimistic.

It's disappointing that this is now considered a good return for Manchester United but, well, that's the reality. The squad has obvious gaps; filling some of those gaps should be able to push us towards the 80s.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The first two games were a crapshoot, that won't happen next season (hopefully!)
Also we should be closer to the squad that EtH wants and so be stronger for it.

I'd say this is the best EtH could have expected from this squad, it's been a superb first season, with still one more game to go.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'd like us to get more than 80 points next season but I'd also like us to win more games in a dominant fashion and no humiliations.

If we win the league great but if we don't then at least we look to be going somewhere.

Archi

Where's the "points wise we are not much better than last season" brigade (they were still saying that up until a month ago)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In most seasons our level of performances and struggles with goalscoring would result in fewer points than that. We were generally on the right side of some very tight margins and I don't think there was more to eke out of this squad this season than we have.

Rustyspider13

It's a good base to build on, but I think the squad could've achieved 80 points if we didn't have several long term injuries or suspensions. A striker (maybe even two) and a midfielder who can pass and run are absolute necessities.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Definitely very feasible to hit 80 this year if we didn't have Casemiro off for 25% of the season

DavelinaJolie

Given our main striker options were Martial and Weghorst for most of the season, seems good to me.

Between those two and Ronaldo that's 7 premier league goals total.

fergosaurus

Another way to look at it is - is this squad only 4 points better than Newcastle United?

If so, why? Considering the amount of money we spent last summer and the relative starting points of the two clubs.
We played 15 more matches for a start.

wangyu

I expect manchester united to be in a battle for the premier league crown every single season. It still looks bad but I’ll take it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

:lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

That warning :lol:

Cheer up mate

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I expect manchester united to be in a battle for the premier league crown every single season. It still looks bad but I’ll take it.
You seem to have issues with pattern recognition then.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Another way to look at it is our wage bill and transfer outlay is about sixty times higher than Southamptons and yet we’re only 16 positions higher than them. I’d expect genuinely to be sixty times higher based on our transfer spend.

Gazautd18

That is a great points tally considering what we've been up against this season.
Our style of play hasn't been that outstanding either!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Another way to look at it is our wage bill and transfer outlay is about sixty times higher than Southamptons and yet we’re only 16 positions higher than them. I’d expect genuinely to be sixty times higher based on our transfer spend.
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes. Mainly because of the severe lack of goals in the team. Good recruitment vital this summer.

MrBrightside1989

I think to be fair, if we were offered 3rd place, a league cup win and a place in the FA cup final at the end of august we would have all jumped at the chance. We were helped immensely by Liverpool and spurs struggling at times and Chelsea being terrible, but that's not our fault.

GazTheLegend

@Fortitude yep. We signed a half dead Eriksen on a free, and an on loan Burnley striker. City would have signed a hundred million striker and an on loan Bayern book balancer. We overachieved given our spending and I will die on that hill, and it's all down to Ten Hag, incredible managed.

massey

Very Good total considering where we were around the brentford away game,the ronaldo situation,how far we went in all the cups ,the injuries and only really having one dangerous goal scoring forward.Ten hag has worked miracles really and if He gets the backing from the club transfer wise we could be a real force next season but it all depends on the glazer situation as usual.

GMoore23

4 wins on the bounce once the players got a proper rest between games.

I think we could've pushed City if ten Hag had rotated in the Europa and Fa Cup.

Still a good first season overall and it'll be an excellent first season if we end up beating City in the Cup final.

CM

More or less. Ten Hag inherited a largely broken team so to finish 3rd and get to two cup finals is a good achievement for the first season.

We've got to make huge steps again this summer though. Big investment is needed to get close to City.

siw2007

Very happy with the points tally, would have taken it at the start of the season. The manager has got every drop out of this team this season.