90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

NoPace

Is there a resource with all of his transfers in/out across all the clubs he's been at?
Transfrmarket but it doesn't solve the problem of us having no idea which transfers were really his, I don't think, since Red Bull brought in Paul Mitchell in 2018 for instance.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
firstly I dont for one second believe that the management group would share such information with some hack journalist

secondly - I actually agree with the idea that we need upgrades on all 3. I dont think they are good enough

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Transfrmarket but it doesn't solve the problem of us having no idea which transfers were really his, I don't think, since Red Bull brought in Paul Mitchell in 2018 for instance.
Most of their transfer targets were identified by the recruitment team working under Rangnick. Rangnick's job in conjunction with the board was to then get those deals over the line. And the whole football department functioned with a particular style of play in mind, which the transfer targets had to fit into as far as profile goes. So basically they wanted players who fit into a high defensive line and that mainly applies to CBs, fullbacks and keepers who would have to provide the defensive balance on the turn over while maintaining a high defensive line.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
You must have missed the 18/19 season when he won the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award.

I know Shaw has been erratic but the under rating of him by some here verges on the ridiculous. He is one of the best left backs in the EPL and would be a useful part of any squad.
He is one of the most talented LB's in the league, but what good is that without application and desire? He is the epitomy of the mentality problem we have here.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
This is only getting traction because people on here WANT to believe it. When that happens critical thinking goes out the window.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It’s not that I want to believe it, it’s that I cannot ignore the evidence that has piled up to support it.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He's right, but this news should not be a surprise.

Shaw was overperforming last year, AWB is not a top 5 / 10 right back in the league, and Maguire can't handle the pressure of being the biggest transfer and the captaincy.

Issue is that we don't have 5 years to rebuild (again) and 200M to splash on 3 defenders when we have a entire midfield to rebuild and a new striker to buy.

Unless a big opportunity like Varane comes, we wont buy a top defender, so we'd better have ideas instead,

led_scholes

Honestly, better sell at least 2 of them and hope they can bring around 50-60 millions in total. Just take our loses and reduce our wage bills. Average players, with no big room for improvement and questionable mentality.

20-25 for AWB
30-35 for Maguire (or Shaw)

We can buy one good defender with that money and hope that either Dalot or Laird will come good.

spiriticon

Shaw is way better than AWB, but if you be honest with yourself and compare him to the likes of his world class peers in Robertson, Cancelo, Alphonso Davies, young Jordi Alba etc... he is just one level short.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Graeme Bailly is the journo equivalent of a shitposter. This thread should really be locked.

united for life

we are so bad to an extent sly articles like this is now being written about us. This is non-sense; who would leak this to a journalist? If it is really leaked, whoever did it should be fired!

regardless of whether we agree or not, this is nom-sense

NewYorkRed

Shaw’s having a bad spell but i still think he’s fine.

The other two it goes without saying need to be replaced. AWB in particular.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw is way better than AWB, but if you be honest with yourself and compare him to the likes of his world class peers in Robertson, Cancelo, Alphonso Davies, young Jordi Alba etc... he is just one level short.
Only due to consistency. If he can consistently be near his best then he's definitely world class. It's what was so exciting last season as it looked like he was really stepping into that role, but unfortunately he started this season in terrible form. The hope is that this shit form is the outlier and he'll quickly get back to last seasons form (he's been looking better lately). The fear is that last season was the outlier.

RedIan

So allegedly RR in confidence communicates with our directors/owners his assessment of players who he sees as below standard and that’s then leaked to various bloodsuckers…

if there is any truth what so ever in the reports then a full enquiry need to take place to identify the source from the club and sack them..

ps its a fair assessment - other than Shaw.

NoPace

Most of their transfer targets were identified by the recruitment team working under Rangnick. Rangnick's job in conjunction with the board was to then get those deals over the line. And the whole football department functioned with a particular style of play in mind, which the transfer targets had to fit into as far as profile goes. So basically they wanted players who fit into a high defensive line and that mainly applies to CBs, fullbacks and keepers who would have to provide the defensive balance on the turn over while maintaining a high defensive line.
Yeah, I think in general fans place too much importance on a manager's transfers. Not only is it hard to attribute blame or credit (who spoke strongest in a high level meeting will never be known) but transfers just don't always work even with talented players. I think how the players perform under the manager and if they're used in a way that makes sense with the teams' tactics and the players' qualities is probably easier to actually gauge from the outside, though even then with fitness numbers and training not public it's hard to tell.

That's why I keep wanting a manager who at least clearly has a way he wants to play, which to the club's credit Rangnick is. But yeah, I'm biased towards the Bielsa or Sarri types over a Rodgers or Zidane because at least I understand what they're trying to accomplish and it's probably just easier on my brain.

SER19

Say what you want about him but people moaned constantly about ole playing out of form players. Rangnick has firmly dropped maguire, shaw, wan bissaka and rashford and absolutely nobody can argue with that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chances of this having happened? Zero.

Who exactly is he recommending this to, when we don't even have a clue who our next manager is, and thus coaching team?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Say what you want about him but people moaned constantly about ole playing out of form players. Rangnick has firmly dropped maguire, shaw, wan bissaka and rashford and absolutely nobody can argue with that.
He hasn't actually dropped Maguire though. Injury kept him out, and he's not got back in yet. Bit different.

He probably did deserve a run out of the team though, as do the others. All have been miserable this season.

SER19

He hasn't actually dropped Maguire though. Injury kept him out, and he's not got back in yet. Bit different.

He probably did deserve a run out of the team though, as do the others. All have been miserable this season.

Was a convenient injury. I might be over estimating it but he's fit enough for bench once again. My gut is he's been deliberately taken out of spotlight

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was a convenient injury. I might be over estimating it but he's fit enough for bench once again. My gut is he's been deliberately taken out of spotlight
I have to be honest this season, Ronaldo is the only one I'm a bit gutted not to see on the pitch.
Have got to the position with the rest where there's no-one else who is left out I think, oh that's odd.

United in sin

Maguire is on the bench for the second game running. How is that not being dropped? Solskjaer played him everytime he was available including after injury setbacks

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maguire is on the bench for the second game running. How is that not being dropped? Solskjaer played him everytime he was available including after injury setbacks
Because you have to have been playing to be dropped.
He was out of the team because of injury.

United in sin

Because you have to have been playing to be dropped.
He was out of the team because of injury.
He's not getting back into the squad automatically like before, even though he's the captain and fit. Injury ruled him out and now he's been dropped proper because he has to fight back for his spot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, I think in general fans place too much importance on a manager's transfers. Not only is it hard to attribute blame or credit (who spoke strongest in a high level meeting will never be known) but transfers just don't always work even with talented players. I think how the players perform under the manager and if they're used in a way that makes sense with the teams' tactics and the players' qualities is probably easier to actually gauge from the outside, though even then with fitness numbers and training not public it's hard to tell.

That's why I keep wanting a manager who at least clearly has a way he wants to play, which to the club's credit Rangnick is. But yeah, I'm biased towards the Bielsa or Sarri types over a Rodgers or Zidane because at least I understand what they're trying to accomplish and it's probably just easier on my brain.
I completely agree with you.

The issue imo is that when you look to buy a player, that player or players should be targeted on the basis of them fitting into a footballing blueprint. And imo, that applies more to fullbacks, keepers, CBs and midfielders. Because in the modern game, coaches are looking to impose their game on the opposition by attempting to play the game in the oppositions half via a high line, with or without the ball, which in-turn will also help the team press high after losing the ball due to the team being setup in a compact high block. Around 10 to 12 years ago, teams in the EPL would adopt a high line in possession, but upon losing possession , they would retreat goal side, with the exception of some forward players who would attempt to close down the opposition.

The difference between retreating goal side after losing possession and maintaining a high line after losing possession is a big difference, and has the potential of placing your CBs in 1v1 situations against the oppositions quickest players, with a large space in behind to defend. So players should be signed with that in mind, which provides a defensive balance on the turnover.

So imo, if I was to be given the task of implementing a footballing blueprint, I would look to create a team, which has the attributes to press high and thwart counters on the turnover in a high risk approach. And for that you need CBs who are both technical and athletic, as well as fullbacks who provide a high level threat in offensive transitions, along with the intensity both in defensive and offensive transitions. Then a keeper who's proactive and ready to clean up in a high line.

That would then provide a foundation/platform for the collective to impose their game on the opposition, and potentially help us control the game both in offensive and defensive transitions.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I've always been critical of Shaw. Because he should dominate games consistently.

Mainly because he is ridiculously talented. He's big, fast, has top notch first touch, he can pass well and has good vision.

Those attributes are ridiculous. He showed last year and the Euros that he is (at times) world class.

But he fecks it all up with shite positioning, not blocking crosses and conceding cheap fouls. It's infuriating. He should also be crossing more as he has the ability.

He's a strange one. His first touch and short passing are probably the best at the club. His pace and power are up there too. Hopefully Telles's recent run gives him a kick up the arse.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How can Shaw go from being the most reliable top level player in the team to suddenly not being good enough for Utd in the span of 6 months?
No break after the Euros fcuked both him and Maguire. They’re both oddly in/consistent though. 3-6 month spins of looking world class, and 1-3 month periods of sluggish.

Jibbs

I can understand this about AWB and Maguire but not Shaw. He might be a difficult character and bit of a politician in the dressing room but he is one of the best left backs in the league if not the world.

Denis79

No way that there is an assessment made after 7-8 games. BS article.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He's right, but this news should not be a surprise.

Shaw was overperforming last year, AWB is not a top 5 / 10 right back in the league, and Maguire can't handle the pressure of being the biggest transfer and the captaincy.

Issue is that we don't have 5 years to rebuild (again) and 200M to splash on 3 defenders when we have a entire midfield to rebuild and a new striker to buy.

Unless a big opportunity like Varane comes, we wont buy a top defender, so we'd better have ideas instead,
We have the money and the pull to totally change the club in a year or two if the club actually lets Ralf remove the rot in the current squad and reinvest that money in favour of undervalued but driven players. His kind of signings usually aren’t pricey and they are young. He has a great record for finding value. It’s getting the players who’ve been here for a long time out that’s the main problem. It remains to be seen if the club are prepared to take a loss on certain players and make those kinds of moves. The glazers traditionally seem happy to keep giving out new deals to anyone that wants to stick around but surely they can see that’s a huge part of our current problem. Let’s hope Ralf has some real juice because I think he’s smart enough to fix things up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But Lindelof and Bailly are????
This site is getting worse!
They're both better than Maguire in a compact high block. That still doesn't mean they're good enough, though. But players like Lindelof and Bailly are not the yard stick we should judge our £80m CB on.

Jackal981

No way that there is an assessment made after 7-8 games. BS article.
Think dont need more game to see how WB and Maguire are total shit. If after a few games he cant see how shit they are it gets me worried