90 Min: Ralf Rangnick's damning assessment of Maguire, Shaw & Wan-Bissaka

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just watch Cucurella today and compare with Shaw. You will see what are we missing .
Our players don't play with such an intensity. Shaw I don't believe has the stamina to play like that and that's what is required in the modern game for a fullback. Even last season when we all praised Shaw, it was in Solskjaer's low/mid block as a fullback and not in the uber aggressive front foot approaches we see the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and even Potter implement.

The role of the fullback is to help in attack first and then to support defensively, because if the aim is to create a system to impose a style on the opposition, then the fullback has to be seen as a attacker first and defender second.

RedDevil@84

Ok. So he has been here for few weeks and asked his bosses to get rid of 80M Maguire + 30M Shaw + 45M AWB

Edit: Not that I disagree.

macheda14

Can the mods not just delete threads that are based on shocking sources? What’s the point having 4 pages of chat based on pure nonsense? 90mins is even banned on Reddit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The guy reporting this is absolutely clueless, sadly.

RuudTom83

To be a top manager these days you really need to be good at dealing with a constant stream of bs from the media.

If I was the coach I’d hire a media guy to do all the interviews for me and be done with it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The most important question is : Was he happy when Fergie sold Jaap Stam?

icehole

You really think 90min are willing to open themselves up to a libel case against Man Utd?

I’ll answer for you.

No they won’t.
Read the piece. Anything remotely novel or contentious is qualified with "understands". It's the same sort of weasel word that the DailyFail (or any other paper) uses when they make stuff up to make themselves libelproof.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

MrBest

This club is turning into a joke. Things like this shouldn't be leaked whether it be true or not. There is clearly a snitch somewhere, they need to be found and sacked.

Andrew7582

Don't know if true but you have to laugh when people who like AWB say let's hire Ten Haag. His technique is easily worse than Lukaku's. No modern system is carrying a fullback that has to ready his entire body to play a basic 5 yard pass.
You can say the same thing about Shaw, he is ridiculously one footed which limits his passing options and makes it very easy for opponents to read where the pass is going.

Tarrou

This club is turning into a joke. Things like this shouldn't be leaked whether it be true or not. There is clearly a snitch somewhere, they need to be found and sacked.
its made up, not leaked

Glorio

If there is no truth to it, how is it a leak? And if there is no leak in this case, there's no snitch to sack.

You can't blame the club for a fabricated story

wolvored

If this were true you would have had the story out by more credible sources, not one random one. It happened weeks ago, but only just got leaked? Total Bullshit!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Of all the things that didn't happen, Ragnick holding a powerpoint presentation to a group of people who don't tell anyone anything being leaked and conveniently mentioning all the talkingpoint players + Luke Shaw who Ragnick has previously stated was not good enough for Manchester United in 2019, that did not happen the most.

More importantly: Ragnick is not here to sign players, or recommend overhaul of the squad and who needs to go. He's here to advice on the next manager, that's his consultancy role. The next manager will be the squadbuilder.

K Stand Knut

Who is max kilman? Is he any good?

Agree with one of the earlier posters, that wan bissaka is a mystery. Was a winger in youth team days so how is he so bad in contributing to attacking play? Why not develop him into a CB then? Looks like having the attributes to olay at CB.

Can see the shortcomings in Shaw, though coaching can fix that. Not tracking bcak properly. Not busting a gut to get back into position when ball is lost up the pitch. Also too many goals conceeded from his side of the pitch.

Maguire the less said the better. White elephant.
Bar being positionally aware and being unable to head a football in any sensible way.

I promise that I’ll give my season ticket up if AWB starts playing CB.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Our players don't play with such an intensity. Shaw I don't believe has the stamina to play like that and that's what is required in the modern game for a fullback. Even last season when we all praised Shaw, it was in Solskjaer's low/mid block as a fullback and not in the uber aggressive front foot approaches we see the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and even Potter implement.

The role of the fullback is to help in attack first and then to support defensively, because if the aim is to create a system to impose a style on the opposition, then the fullback has to be seen as a attacker first and defender second.
Agree and that's where I have an issue with our club . We don't seem to be learning anything.

Hope Ralf gets that intensity to the team.

Tyrion

Savage, Maguire is certainly the biggest disappointment with his price tag and the expectation of being to United what VVD is to Liverpool. AWB seems negligent in his attacking play which is odd as he was supposedly a winger in the youth systems. Shaw is the only individual who has proven that with the right attitude there's a good player.
I agree. Shaw's been bad this season but he was brilliant last year. Maguire and AWB have never been better than good so they have earned less patience.

minoo-utd

Agree on Maguire and AWB but I feel Shaw can do better. Anyways what about if the next manager won’t use the high pressing system?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
How can Shaw go from being the most reliable top level player in the team to suddenly not being good enough for Utd in the span of 6 months?
Rangnick hasn’t rated Shaw previously. I’d imagine that looking at how out of condition he is would put a lot of coaches off. I like Shaw but can also see the issues with him. He’s also been part of this losing culture for nearly 8 years now, hasn’t he?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Should have sold Williams and Telles and went for Nuno Gomes to push Shaw up or out. He’s probably going to be the best LB in Europe in a few years and we missed the boat. Hakimi on the other side. Imagine the chaos they’d cause. They would be making more chances for Ronaldo or our new striker than Rashford and Greenwood are managing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Should have sold Williams and Telles and went for Nuno Gomes to push Shaw up or out. He’s probably going to be the best LB in Europe in a few years and we missed the boat. Hakimi on the other side. Imagine the chaos they’d cause. They would be making more chances for Ronaldo or our new striker than Rashford and Greenwood are managing.
I said this at the time about Nuno Gomes when he was at SCP.

Your fullbacks as your wingers in the game today, and they have to provide a high level attacking threat. And I'm not only talking G/A's either but also talking about providing overlaps, undelaps and the ability to link up with both defense and attack at a high level, whilst also having the fitness/stamina to get up and down the flank to maintain intensity.

Siezard

Don't think it's fair on AWB and Shaw. They practically have to run up and down the field on each wing.

peridigm

How can Shaw go from being the most reliable top level player in the team to suddenly not being good enough for Utd in the span of 6 months?
I think Maguire and Shaw left their balls at the Euro final. Neither have been anywhere close to the form of last season.

Seij

Rangnick said the other day he sees McTominay as a future captain. He's not going anywhere...
If you make a table of game time gotten divided by footballing ability in the PL era United history, McT has to be at the very top of the table.

He must be prime Roy Keane in training.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I said this at the time about Nuno Gomes when he was at SCP.

Your fullbacks as your wingers in the game today, and they have to provide a high level attacking threat. And I'm not only talking G/A's either but also talking about providing overlaps, undelaps and the ability to link up with both defense and attack at a high level, whilst also having the fitness/stamina to get up and down the flank to maintain intensity.
Totally agree.

I haven’t seen the interview with pre Utd Ralf where he says Shaw isn’t up to it but I’d imagine he says the problem with him is that he doesn’t play with enough intensity. The thing with Shaw is, have you noticed this too, when he plays really well we also usually play well. So much of our attacking threat comes from him for better or worse. When he plays at walking pace or in the languid style we see too often the attack loses serious impetus. I believe AWB suffers from the same problem but he’s not as useful on the ball. Neither do enough on the overlap or go all out to draw fouls or pull defenders out of their shape. I totally agree that fullbacks are the wingers of todays game but it’s an even harder gig with double the work.

Last edited: